• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2010)

Max

I am not Max
161ltnp.png
a-scanner-darkly-22005690.jpeg

I checked out both Ship of Fools and to my surprise I found A Scanner Darkly (which I asked them to call me about once they found it!) from my public library.

Probably going to read Ship of Fools first, thanks for the recommendation Maklershed

Finally finished Norwegian Wood by Murakami. Very good read, though some of the pacing during it felt a bit much. I enjoyed it enough to overlook it and highly recommend it to everyone and anyone, even though all of gaf has read it :lol

gonna start on this next

n57534.jpg

been a long time coming, but i'm ready for it!

Max

I am not Max
I really need to finish Catch 22, I got a third into it and thought it was brilliantly funny. I was just so slow on reading each chapter that individually introduced the books many characters

Lear

Recently finished
41NJJwpzwzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and currently reading
61bTKFqMFiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I've decided to read the Booker Prize longlist because I clearly have too much time on my hands/I'm a glutton for punishment. Room is really very good though, once you get past the beginning section.

Also on the pile are
51lRW3bMspL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
and
51sUURKR7cL._AA300_.jpg

Max said:
Probably going to read Ship of Fools first, thanks for the recommendation Maklershed
Cool. Hope you like it. For me it was one of those books that I loved so much and wanted to see what happened next that it dominated all my spare time until I finished.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been reading the Complete Encyclopedia of Cats.
It's really good so far, very comprehensive with some good, detailed images of various breeds.

Just got done reading for last month:

The crappiest book of the bunch was The Passage. Started great, but really really did NOT like the deux ex machina. What a load of crock. The book could have been 500 pages shorter if people actually communicated what they really wanted to.

Currently reading:

Help me pick what to read next:

I recommend The Year of the Flood. You've read Oryx and Crake first though right?

And thats too bad about The Passage. It always shows up on Amazon when I'm doing my near daily search for post apocalypse books and I've wondered if its any good. Guess I should avoid it though.

Max

I am not Max
I'm interested in those two Le Guin novels as well, I really enjoyed The Lathe of Heaven

Ugh I have so many books I want to read but half of them aren't in my library

Maklershed said:
I recommend The Year of the Flood. You've read Oryx and Crake first though right?

And thats too bad about The Passage. It always shows up on Amazon when I'm doing my near daily search for post apocalypse books and I've wondered if its any good. Guess I should avoid it though.

I haven't read Oryx and Crake yet, but one of my coworkers who read both said that Year of the Flood was a lot better. Should I read one before the other?

Yeah, I was really disappointed about The Passage. I really like apocalyptic books, but this one was just...ugh. I've played video games with better stories than that.

Max, can you request books thru your library? Not sure where you live, but a lot of libraries have some system where if they don't have a book in a stock, they can get it transferred from another branch and hold it for you. WorldCat (there's a link to it on every book page on Goodreads) comes in handy for that like so: http://www.worldcat.org/title/forever-war/oclc/51983203?loc=90210

Have you read A Canticle for Liebowitz or The Postman yet? Both are phenomenal P.A. books that I just can't say enough about.

And yeah I'd read Oryx and Crake before The Year of the Flood. You don't have to but its much more fulfilling because the stories in both books kind of coincide and tiny tidbits and details from Oryx and Crake show up in The Year of the Flood as Easter Eggs in a sense.

Haven't read either yet, but added it to my already too long to-read list. I don't remember if I watched the Kevin Costner movie or not, but maybe it's good I don't remember it if I have.

Yeah for the best you don't remember. The book is infinitely better than the movie. They're practically two different stories. The only similarity really is that there's a militia and a guy named "the postman" in both of them. :lol

Max

I am not Max
Yea I don't think my library does requests because I live in a really small city, there's nothing about it on their website. Might double check next time I'm in there though.

ilikeme

I like Atwood but I love Le Guin and love love Left Hand and someone in here said Dispossessed is much better. Have you read any Atwood before? If not, try her out otherwise Le Guin is almost always worthwhile.

I've read Handmaid's Tale by Atwood and thought it was decent. I like her writing style and I think she has some pretty great ideas, which is why I want to try out some of her newer books.

pakkit

Banned
I've been on a bit of a nonfiction binge lately. I'm currently tearing through Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil after reading In Cold Blood and the quasi-fictional Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and I'm wondering what other fictionalized non-fiction GAF would recommend.

Devil in the White City is one of my favorite books.

Started reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo after hearing all the hype. So far it is very good but I haven't had any time to read it with school/work getting in the way. :(

I have a strange perfectionist attitude towards books that I need to have exact duplicates in a series of books. I own The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire in the tall paperback edition and I want to get The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest in that version of paperback too, but I can't find a copy yet. When is it planned to come out in the US? If anyone knows. :D

Maklershed said:
Going to a book sale at a nice big public library tomorrow. $1.50 for paperbacks, $2 for trade pb, and $3 for hard cover. This sale usually accounts for a good 75% of my non-Kindle books for the year. :D

Hey Mak, where was this sale at?

Hershey PA

EDIT: Oh hey Dandeschain - I remember our Harrisburg discussions from CAG

pakkit said:
I've been on a bit of a nonfiction binge lately. I'm currently tearing through Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil after reading In Cold Blood and the quasi-fictional Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and I'm wondering what other fictionalized non-fiction GAF would recommend.

Devil in the White City is one of my favorite books.
If you like Fear and Loathing make sure to check out Hells Angels and The Rum Diary

Xater

I think I didn't mention that I have already finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and really liked. I still think it had a bit of slow start but my god was it worth it by the end. Great thriller. Right after I finished it I started "The Girl who played with Fire" and I already have less than 200 pages left. :lol

Stealth

I blew through A Clash of Kings this past week. I agree with a bit of eznark's thoughts on the book, that it definitely dragged in the middle and started strong, but I found the end to be probably the fastest-paced of the whole book. Rather expected, but still fun. I quickly snatched A Storm of Swords and Feast from Amazon, but I think I'm going to let them sit for a while while I read something else. No sense in rushing through them to join the legions of waiting, anxious GRRMites.

In the meantime, I'm just wrapping up Tana French's Faithful Place, which is definitely the most engaging book of her little trilogy about the Dublin Murder Squad so far. It recalls a bit of the procedural formula of In The Woods, but without that book's snail-like pacing. Everything about this book screams "Hollywood Thriller," but I could probably say that for all of them. Anyway, it's a nice, character-driven crime piece and if you're a fan of thrillers/crime fiction she's a author I would definitely recommend. The cases are a bit run of the mill (dead body found with links to the main character), but the cast and strong writing keep you strapped in.

After that, I'm sort of unsure of what to tackle next. I've got Let the Great World Spin sitting alongside the monstrous The Passage and Under The Dome, plus the two GRRM books. I may skip all of those and dive into Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing, though. It's been a while since I read him and it's been a summer tradition for the past three years to read at least one of his books, so I'll probably squeeze that in before Labor Day. Decisions, decisions.

survivor

Banned
Summer time is awesome. Gives me a lot of time for reading

The Name of the Wind
9Gr5n.jpg

Great book overall. Honestly the use of magic was pretty cool. The interactions between Kvothe and Abenthy were pretty awesome. I really hated how it ended since it left a lot of questions unanswered due to Bast being a dickhead but whatever the sequel isn't that far off.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
OWqzO.jpg

Another great book by Agatha Christie. I liked the way the murderer was revealed and how early hints were dropped regarding who the murderer is.

Three Act Tragedy
6w23C.jpg

Not my favourite Hercule Poirot book since 75% of the book isn't even about him. The mystery was actually very good, I just didn't like the way it was handled .

Maklershed said:
Hershey PA

EDIT: Oh hey Dandeschain - I remember our Harrisburg discussions from CAG

How ya been Mak? If ya hear of any more local book sales, lemme know. You ever been down to the Saturday's Market in Middletown? There's a stand with a shitton of paperbacks really cheap. I think I'll give that Ship of Fools a shot after I finish American Gods.

eznark

Banned
Well, came to the Frey wedding. I wish just once the series would successfully surprise. I think Martin has finally circled in on himself enough for my tastes. The "just-missed em" encounters and abundance of choreographed twists of fate are just too much. At this point it feels like the 5 kings are fighting over 10 acres on some tiny British Isle the way everyone is constantly almost bumping into each other. I'll finish Storm of Swords since I'm over 2/3 of the way through but man, what a waste of a bunch of really awesome stories and an excellent character or two.

As for my complaints about bloat and length, I actually have come to terms with it. I realized that I'm so annoyed with the bloat because he doesn't chop it up into shorter books (since the books end rather arbitrarily anyway, it would be easy to do). I like to have a sense of accomplishment, and making me slog through so much without saying to myself "hey, another book down" just feels cruel! It's clearly a me problem though and not a broader complaint with Martin.

My "complaint" (in so far as why I don't care to keep reading) is that at this point it's painfully obvious that Martin wants to continue this series for ever and ever and ever. (Maybe he doesn't want to but it's clear he has no self control). I imagine the sons of the sons of the people I am reading about now will be the main characters of the final book (or whatever we call them in 30 years) and I already have lost interest in these survivors.

I wonder how amazing the original, planned Song of Ice and Fire trilogy would have been had he stuck to that? Probably a top 5 fantasy series of evar!

Maybe I'll pick up Ian Banks again so I can keep crapping on lit-GAF's sacred cows. :lol

ymmv

Banned
Lear said:
Recently finished
41NJJwpzwzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and currently reading
61bTKFqMFiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I've decided to read the Booker Prize longlist because I clearly have too much time on my hands/I'm a glutton for punishment. Room is really very good though, once you get past the beginning section.

Ah, a new book by Emma Donoghue. I've read three historical novels by her so far (Slammerkin, Life Mask and The Sealed Letter) and enjoyed those a lot. I'm going to pick up the new book soon.

DanDeschain said:
How ya been Mak? If ya hear of any more local book sales, lemme know. You ever been down to the Saturday's Market in Middletown? There's a stand with a shitton of paperbacks really cheap. I think I'll give that Ship of Fools a shot after I finish American Gods.
There's a big one going on at the Schuylkill Mall all weekend long.

deadbeef

I am listening to the audiobook version of The Big Short

Holy shit, I thought the This American Life episode explained the subprime mortgage crisis; this book is fascinating.

I can't stop listening, it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

41vvmXp3IRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Jenga

Banned
sazabirules said:
I just started reading The Long Ships. I feel like I need to have Amon Amarth playing in the background while I'm reading this.
:lol

basically

you really do get attached to the characters by the end, i genuinely felt sad when it was going to end

Dresden

Reading this right now:

36REV17cent1.jpg

About the battle between the Hapsburgs and the Ottomans at Vienna. Bloody stuff, liking it so far.

Salazar

Jenga said:
:lol

basically

you really do get attached to the characters by the end, i genuinely felt sad when it was going to end

I just loved the chilled-out Viking pragmatism. What's that ? Convert ? Yeah, whatever.

It seemed to work for The Long Ships. I think if enough of us here on GAF start requesting something at the same time it definitely makes someone at Amazon notice.

(unless it was just a coincidence)

Xater

Ok finished The Girl Who Played with Fire today. What an ending! The second book had way faster pace than the first one and I think I enjoyed it more because of that. Although the mystery in the first one wa smore interesting. Doesn't really matter though because this really seems to be a great trilogy. Thankfully I already have the third book here so I can find out right now how all of this will pan out.

It's really sad that Larsson is dead and can't witness his great success.

Angst

Xater said:
Ok finished The Girl Who Played with Fire today. What an ending! The second book had way faster pace than the first one and I think I enjoyed it more because of that. Although the mystery in the first one wa smore interesting. Doesn't really matter though because this really seems to be a great trilogy. Thankfully I already have the third book here so I can find out right now how all of this will pan out.

It's really sad that Larsson is dead and can't witness his great success.
Yeah, and it's even worse that all the profit goes to his brothers and sisters and nothing to his common-law wife. He wanted all the money to go to the woman he loved, but died before he wrote it down in his will.

Xater

Angst said:
Yeah, and it's even worse that all the profit goes to his brothers and sisters and nothing to his common-law wife. He wanted all the money to go to the woman he loved, but died before he wrote it down in his will.

Didn't know that. That really sucks.

kaskade

Xater said:
I think I didn't mention that I have already finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and really liked. I still think it had a bit of slow start but my god was it worth it by the end. Great thriller. Right after I finished it I started "The Girl who played with Fire" and I already have less than 200 pages left. :lol
My thoughts exactly. I'm holding out on reading the rest of the series for a little bit. I don't want them to be over so fast. :lol

Has anyone read the Hunger games series? I saw that the 3rd one is a top seller on amazon and it isn't even out yet.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
do you guys ever get the feeling like

"there are so many awesome books out there and I feel this overwhelming sense of discovery and excitement"

I get this feeling like every time I check one of these threads. Books are so fucking awesome.

Xater

Kodiak said:

"there are so many awesome books out there and I feel this overwhelming sense of discovery and excitement"

I get this feeling like every time I check one of these threads. Books are so fucking awesome.

More like: "OMG! So much to read and so little time!" :lol

But summer time for me is always book time. That's why I am going through so many books right now. In the fall and spring I have lot games to paly and probably more to do at the university so I only go through very few books.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Xater said:
More like: "OMG! So much to read and so little time!" :lol

But summer time for me is always book time. That's why I am going through so many books right now. In the fall and spring I have lot games to paly and probably more to do at the university so I only go through very few books.

well yeah, that comes immediately after :lol

Dresden

Kodiak said:

I get this feeling every time I get on Amazon.

Completed The Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo, Played With Fire and Hornets nest. Excellent trilogy. Love Lisbeth although the Swedes do really love their coffee. Now reading the Decline and fall of the Roman Empire and History of Freedom of Thought

Reading through Girl with a dragon tattoo - maybe halfway done?

Trying - really trying - to like a Game of Thrones but the shit's so dry at first. I think the first prelude or whatever was the best with the creepy guys in the snow. The rest has been boring as hell, but I'm trying to stick with it because everyone raves about the series.

Top Bottom