• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2010)

Furcas

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
I sort of passed on Vernor Vinge after reading Rainbows End because the story sucked (although his concepts were astounding) is the plot good here?

The story is much better, and the characters are a lot more interesting. Rainbows End was my first Vinge book, and like you I was a bit disappointed with it, but A Fire Upon the Deep totally redeems him in my eyes.

Alucard

Banned
Karakand said:
You once reviewed Charlie and the Glass Elevator. On GAF. That is something to cringe at, not Lolita.

The book is very well written, incredibly witty, and intelligent; I just find the main relationship and some of the scenarios and descriptions to be a little hard to take sometimes.

I did review Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and thought it was a piece of crap. So what?

Karakand

Alucard said:
The book is very well written, incredibly witty, and intelligent; I just find the main relationship and some of the scenarios and descriptions to be a little hard to take sometimes.
Well I hope you can work through those issues and enjoy it in totality; it's one of the best English-language works. Or, if you can't, perhaps suspend them until the end. Characters doing bad things can sometimes be taken if recompense is handed down for their actions.

Chorazin

ProudClod said:
15yyf0l.jpg

Huh, I wonder how different the actual text is from the original US release? I love that book (and the movie, let's forget BR2 ever happened) so much, I might have to look into buying the new version if it's a pronounced difference.

Batongen

Banned
dude said:
One of my favorite books. Though I disagree with you, the subject matter is very easy not to cringe at.

I'm reading The Fountainhead. I've read more than 600 pages in four days. I think this will probably end up being one of my favorite books.

600 pages in four days, that's massive. Read it last month, but not that quick. At the moment, I'm tired of her high standards and individualism, but soon I will have read all Rand's books :D

QVT said:
oh my god. you fucking idiot.

:lol, Lolita defense crew to the rescue. Let the man be entitled to his opinion Q, otherwise, what would he be?

Karakand said:
You once reviewed Charlie and the Glass Elevator. On GAF. That is something to cringe at, not Lolita.

Your point is dubious, at best. Reading-GAF does all sorts of dumb things. Some still read Ayn Rand, for serious, not for laughs. Some think Salinger was actually good. Some think GRRM will release a new Song book this coming decade, or, worse, that he'll actually finish the series before dying.

But steering people clear of a miserable piece of filth like Glass Elevator, particularly when it follows the beyond brilliant Chocolate Factory? Not dumb.

Yeah, and I don't care for Lolita, either.

dude

dude
Batongen said:
600 pages in four days, that's massive. Read it last month, but not that quick. At the moment, I'm tired of her high standards and individualism, but soon I will have read all Rand's books :D
I finished it today. As I predicted, one of my favorite books. It's probably the easiest book I've ever read, despite it's length.

I'm amazed you guys called him an idiot... Don't you guys find the subject matter disturbing? We are, after all, talking about rape and abuse. You should agree with him, he praised the book - because of it's disturbing setting, but acknowledged how "cringe" worthy it is.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished -

2isb57b.jpg

dyvyh.jpg

Count Zero was great, but took a while to pick up. I can see how a lot of people wouldn't like it, just like I see how a lot of people wouldn't like the previous book Neuromancer, but I thought it was great.

Sparks was decent enough. Went places I didn't expect in the last section.

Just started -

mwxys6.gif

bengraven

BenjaminBirdie said:
This exact copy of Stephen King's IT.

jq5dg5.jpg

It's the one I bought in like 1989. Not only is it one of my favorite books, but from a strict design/color/everything perspective, it is probably my definition of the perfect book cover. Better than the hardcover version because I prefer the author typeface on this one.

I picked it up from storage over the holiday break and it's just pretty fantastic to have it around again. It's like perfectly worn but not falling apart. It's totally awesome.

It brings up such great memories to see this. Not because I ever read It (I didn't), but it reminds me of all the Stephen King paperbacks from the late 80's, early 90's. The black and red covers.

Which in turn remind me of the old Stephen King book club commercials that played during this time period. "Subscribe now and get ROSE MADDER, the new tale of horror from STEEPHEEN KIIING..."

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished my re-read of Peter S Beagle's A Fine and Private Place. The first novel he wrote, at 19. It's a slow, sad, nostalgic story, though obviously a first book as his prose stumbles a bit.

About a man that has lived in a cemetery for 20 years or so. He's sort of stuck between worlds, terrified of leaving the graveyard. He welcomes ghosts as they rise from their graves and spends a short time with them before they slowly forget their lives and fade away.

Manhood is not something you put on and take off and put on again. It is not a reward for courage. There is no prize of manhood waiting for me if I am brave enough to leave the cemetery. I am neither man nor ghost. For your sake I wish I were the one, for my sake I wish I were the other. As it is, I can help neither of us. Try not to blame me. It is not altogether my fault.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Past Imperfect: French Intellectuals, 1944-1956 by Tony Judt

From Publishers Weekly:

Swept up in the vortex of communism, French postwar intellectuals developed a blind spot to Stalinist tyranny. Albert Camus, who had been an authentic moral voice of the Resistance, pretended not to know about the crimes and terrors of the Soviet Union. Jean-Paul Sartre perverted logic to make an apologia for the Soviet invasion of Hungary. Simone de Beauvoir called for social change to be brought about in a single convulsion, or else not at all.

Foolish French thinkers, suffering "self-imposed moral anesthesia," defended the credibility of the show trials in Stalinized Eastern Europe. In a devastating study, Judt, a professor of European studies at New York University, argues that the belief system of postwar intellectuals, propped up by faith in communism, reflected fatal weaknesses in French culture such as the fragility of the liberal tradition and the penchant for grand theory. He also strips away the postwar myth that the small, fighting French Resistance was assisted by the mass of the nation.

Chorazin said:
Huh, I wonder how different the actual text is from the original US release? I love that book (and the movie, let's forget BR2 ever happened) so much, I might have to look into buying the new version if it's a pronounced difference.
Maybe it was just me, but I really disliked the old translation by Yuji Oniki. I stopped reading it towards the end because the translation got really sloppy and small errors here and there started annoying me. It's a shame really because it was a good book.

finowns

sparky2112 said:
Your point is dubious, at best. Reading-GAF does all sorts of dumb things. Some still read Ayn Rand, for serious, not for laughs. Some think Salinger was actually good.

This really does not deserve a comment ... but your crazy.

I have read:

51VRCT1B2TL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This was good. Alexander is a beast.

51BKyRs0jsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I am in the Sci Fi mood but this was little far fetched. What I want is something like a Mass Effect universe or a Star Wars universe. Any series kind of like that? With some believability in tech but with a Jedi like protagonist being a badass? I have read pretty much every Star WARS book and also the first Mass Effect book.

51TWB0B5ZEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Wow I finally caught up. this was such a good book I can not wait for the next one.

I think I am going to read the Bartimaeus Trilogy or The Swans' War series next. Can I have some immpressions about either book?

Guileless

finowns said:
51BKyRs0jsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I am in the Sci Fi mood but this was little far fetched. What I want is something like a Mass Effect universe or a Star Wars universe. Any series kind of like that? With some believability in tech but with a Jedi like protagonist being a badass? I have read pretty much every Star WARS book and also the first Mass Effect book.

Hmm. Star Wars is space opera with instantaneous faster-than-light travel that just kind of throws you back in your spaceship seat like you hit the accelerator on your Camry. That's a little more far-fetched than The Forever War.

Binabik15

I read the first book of the Long Price Quartet and finished the third book in the Night Angel series for the second time. Technically, I read half of it in 2009, but I left it at my aunt´s home on New Year´s Eve.

Now I´m trying for the second time to get into I, Robot, but old sci-fi is sooo hard to read. I was shaking my head throughout War of the Worlds and here we have robots that can talk and stuff, but the reporter uses a super fancy new pocket notepad. :lol

GUI, microchips, internet and cell phones were really that unexpected, huh.

finowns

Guileless said:
Hmm. Star Wars is space opera with instantaneous faster-than-light travel that just kind of throws you back in your spaceship seat like you hit the accelerator on your Camry. That's a little more far-fetched than The Forever War.

I totally agree but I was not necessarily saying that the tech in Forever War was far fetched more of the social and political stuff really threw me.

What I want to read in SciFi is more stuff like Mass Effect. Emphasis on the history,social exchanges between the races, gov't bureaucracy all of which I found really interesting in ME. I read all the codex entries which is somewhat embarrassing but there was good drama in those pages (LOL if anyone gets that reference). I mentioned Star Wars books because I assume that would be what people would know and recommend when I had already read them.

Karakand

sparky2112 said:
But steering people clear of a miserable piece of filth like Glass Elevator, particularly when it follows the beyond brilliant Chocolate Factory? Not dumb.
You shouldn't need to be steered away from children's entertainment outside childhood so it's still dumb.

Karakand said:
You shouldn't need to be steered away from children's entertainment outside childhood so it's still dumb.

I'll have to disagree: Roald Dahl's best children's fiction is worth reading at any age, even if there is much to find that is despicable in his personal character. A similar situation exists with Lovecraft. Although I daresay it never bled through into Dahl's fiction anywhere near as much.

Working my way through Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons. Started the Hyperion series in September and am just now getting around to finishing it up. Well I still have like 600 or so pages to read in ROE, but so far I've really enjoyed this series, including Endymion.

FnordChan

finowns said:
What I want is something like a Mass Effect universe or a Star Wars universe. Any series kind of like that? With some believability in tech but with a Jedi like protagonist being a badass? I have read pretty much every Star WARS book and also the first Mass Effect book.

I'm fond of the Mageworlds series by Debra Doyle and James Macdonald, which is essentially Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off. That said, the books are a lot of fun even if they're not what you would call wildly original. There are three books in the main trilogy - The Price of the Stars, Starpilot's Grave, and By Honor Betray'd. They're all out of print, but you can pick up used copies on Amazon for a penny each, plus shipping. If you like those there are some prequel novels and a "next generation" novel waiting for you.

Meanwhile, for a wonderful military SF series with a terrific protagonist, I cannot recommend Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga highly enough. I generally recommend starting with the Young Miles omnibus, which introduces you to the manic, brilliant Miles Vorkosigan who manages to get up to all sorts of trouble in ways that tend to involve the perils of being a space marine, the politics of wormhole gates, and the impact of biotechnology. I guarantee you will enjoy reading the many ways the man leaves all hell breaking loose in his wake. If you enjoy that volume, either move on to Miles Errant or backtrack to Cordelia's Honor for two volumes involving Miles' parents.

What I want to read in SciFi is more stuff like Mass Effect. Emphasis on the history,social exchanges between the races, gov't bureaucracy all of which I found really interesting in ME.

This confirms that you really want to read the Vorkosigan series right this instant. Bujold has done a lot of world building and she spends a good deal of time looking at the interactions between different galactic cultures, exploring the history (and it's echoing repercussions) of our hero's home planet, and Miles' struggles fighting his way through (and often around) his government's bureaucracy, with plenty of corresponding political intrigue thrown in for good measure. Hie thee to a bookstore posthaste.

FnordChan

Gigglepoo

dude said:
I'm reading The Fountainhead. I've read more than 600 pages in four days. I think this will probably end up being one of my favorite books.

My friends keep making fun of me for reading this. I think it's great. I read it about 7 or so years ago and loved it then, and it's just as good the second time around. Makes me want to study architecture and dye my hair red.

finowns

FnordChan said:
I'm fond of the Mageworlds series by Debra Doyle and James Macdonald, which is essentially Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off. That said, the books are a lot of fun even if they're not what you would call wildly original. There are three books in the main trilogy - The Price of the Stars, Starpilot's Grave, and By Honor Betray'd. They're all out of print, but you can pick up used copies on Amazon for a penny each, plus shipping. If you like those there are some prequel novels and a "next generation" novel waiting for you.

Meanwhile, for a wonderful military SF series with a terrific protagonist, I cannot recommend Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga highly enough. I generally recommend starting with the Young Miles omnibus, which introduces you to the manic, brilliant Miles Vorkosigan who manages to get up to all sorts of trouble in ways that tend to involve the perils of being a space marine, the politics of wormhole gates, and the impact of biotechnology. I guarantee you will enjoy reading the many ways the man leaves all hell breaking loose in his wake. If you enjoy that volume, either move on to Miles Errant or backtrack to Cordelia's Honor for two volumes involving Miles' parents.

FnordChan

Wow. Thank you.

Alucard said:
This thread has gotten snarky. I don't think I've ever seen such conflict in a Book GAF thread.

Classic literature is serious business. And, well, you did kinda miss a fair amount of the point in your reading of Lolita - if, as I take it, you took the story at largely face value and, thus, let the narrator's telling just waft by you unchecked.

Seriously though, don't worry too much. I'm sure you'll get to that point when you realize, hey, this guy is a fucking monster and he's seduced me into his vile delusion-based worldview. It's so much more than a story to feel squeamish about. Truly, it takes a special piece of writing to achieve what it does. But, I wouldn't call it the life-changing experience that some do.

Stealth

finowns said:

Read this in the context of the war in the book being a metaphor for Vietnam and it totally changes what you're reading. Of course, that actually wasn't the author's intention, but it's hard not to see the parallels. Also, this type of book classifies more as hard sci-fi, whereas you're looking for something less concerned with realism, or soft sci-fi. Haldeman is pretty consistently a hard sci-fi writer, so you may want to steer clear of him unless you're in the mood for something a bit more grounded. Otherwise, go for the sequels.

Alucard

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
Classic literature is serious business. And, well, you did kinda miss a fair amount of the point in your reading of Lolita - if, as I take it, you took the story at largely face value and, thus, let the narrator's telling just waft by you unchecked.

Seriously though, don't worry too much. I'm sure you'll get to that point when you realize, hey, this guy is a fucking monster and he's seduced me into his vile delusion-based worldview. It's so much more than a story to feel squeamish about. Truly, it takes a special piece of writing to achieve what it does. But, I wouldn't call it the life-changing experience that some do.

I understand that the book is meant to be persuasive to the point of sympathy for the narrator, but I also see the irony involved in a man attempting to come off as innocent and almost as a victim, which is ludicrous considering some of the thoughts that run through his mind. For example, a sentence like "should I marry this woman and murder her?" in regards to a school principal who tries to persuade Humbert to let Lo take part in more activities. He is twisted, and while the prose are playful and hypnotic at times, I think the genius of the book is in trying to fool the reader to assent to the narrator's worldview and feel that his actions and thoughts are excusable because of how he presents himself. "Poor, old Humbert," etc.

FabCam

Just read Tess of the d'Urbervilles for about the 5th time for an exam. Probably the most depressing novel written. I love misery.

Burger said:
2up7qrd.jpg

Only just started. Looking forward to it.

The book has sizable differences from the recent film adaption, and, surprisingly (given how this usually goes), I would say the adaption eclipses it. That is not to say that it isn't a decidedly more than decent dystopia, but the idea is the thing that really grabs and effects you in the novel - more so than its never-astounding characterization and plot. And thus, if you've already been exposed to the film, I would argue the impact of the tale becomes diminished by quite a measure - different ending and all. Certainly still worth the read, though.

FabCam

Cyan said:
Ugh, I hated that book. One of the most pathetic, do-nothing heroines I've ever read.

Yes and no. But mainly yes :lol I prefer 'Jude the Obscure' but still think 'Tess' is an essential read for anyone who likes tragedy.

Alucard said:
I understand that the book is meant to be persuasive to the point of sympathy for the narrator, but I also see the irony involved in a man attempting to come off as innocent and almost as a victim, which is ludicrous considering some of the thoughts that run through his mind. For example, a sentence like "should I marry this woman and murder her?" in regards to a school principal who tries to persuade Humbert to let Lo take part in more activities. He is twisted, and while the prose are playful and hypnotic at times, I think the genius of the book is in trying to fool the reader to assent to the narrator's worldview and feel that his actions and thoughts are excusable because of how he presents himself. "Poor, old Humbert," etc.

Well, yes, it is an excellent example of the unreliable narrator, but it especially works as a channel into the mind of a monster of manipulative control, falsity, tyranny and delusion. However, I get the feeling we're on agreement on this point, and that you see this negative perspective on the man as an intended construction by Nabokov. So, I'm beginning to think incorrect assumptions were made about your initial post - which I probably entered into as well. Thus, my apologies. Or, as the Scalzis say these days, my bad.

Karakand

Cyan said:
Oh, Kara. I have been terribly deceived in your character.
If it makes you feel any better I'm reading this because of a dare. I made with myself.

r903rm.jpg

Some real gems in there. Like the one about an anorexic girl that gets raped because she's anorexic who then gets better and becomes bulimic.

Alucard said:
This thread has gotten snarky. I don't think I've ever seen such conflict in a Book GAF thread.
Let's gang up on someone to mend the divisions. I nominate the inappropriate comic book posts. (But we won't be ex post facto since I remember you reviewed Blankets recently.)

TheWiicast said:
Just finished Under The Dome. An amazing book until the last 100 pages. I was so pissed off by the end that I wondered why I bothered to plow through the 1,000+ pages for a rushed ending that had no context.

I was not satisfied.

END OF BOOK SPOILERS!

What a cop out to have the dome be generated by some alien kids. Then, when Julia actually teleports(!) to where the kids are she just asks and they lift the dome. Retarded.

AND ALL OF IT HAPPENS IN THE LAST 50 PAGES!
so dumb.

Don't really have a problem with that. The book isn't about what causes the Dome, it's about the drama that occurs because of it. I think that
because it's cause is something simple and from a seemingly harmless source only further shows how awful the people behave. It fits in quite well with the themes of the book. If they all calmed down, instead of trying to take control, they probably would've got out of the situation with almost no problems. The fact that they only had to ask to remove the Dome just makes their behavior all the more sad.

Oh it didn't just happen in the last 50 pages. It was hinted out throughout the book and made almost explicit on page 735.

Guileless

I haven't thought about Tess of the D'Urbervilles in a long time. It was the last assigned reading in my high school senior English lit class, and our teacher got very far behind on the syllabus and we were supposed to finish it for discussion on literally everyone's last day of high school. Nobody read it (and this was at a hyper-nerdy magnet school where everybody did all the reading unless they were too busy doing physics experiments.) I gamely made it about 200 pages before giving up on finishing it. Unrelentingly dreary and ponderous.

I've always regretted that and vowed to go back to it, but I haven't yet.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Karakand said:
If it makes you feel any better I'm reading this because of a dare. I made with myself.

http://i50.tinypic.com/r903rm.jpg[IMG]

Some real gems in there. Like the one about an anorexic girl that gets raped because she's anorexic who then gets better and becomes bulimic.

Let's gang up on someone to mend the divisions. [B]I nominate the inappropriate comic book posts[/B]. (But we won't be ex post facto since I remember you reviewed Blankets recently.)[/QUOTE]
Hey now, it's still reading. :D

I try to remember to at least put one "real" book in my posts when I also put in a comic to try and get an extra edge of legitimacy. :lol

Burger

Tim the Wiz said:
The book has sizable differences from the recent film adaption, and, surprisingly (given how this usually goes), I would say the adaption eclipses it. That is not to say that it isn't a decidedly more than decent dystopia, but the idea is the thing that really grabs and effects you in the novel - more so than its never-astounding characterization and plot. And thus, if you've already been exposed to the film, I would argue the impact of the tale becomes diminished by quite a measure - different ending and all. Certainly still worth the read, though.

I'm fully aware of how loosely the film was adapted from the book, and major things are different. However, I think it's the idea that grabs me more than the characters.

That said, the film was a fucking masterpiece.

Burger said:
That said, the film was a fucking masterpiece.

Amen. The paucity of serious critical recognition that followed it just cements how stubborn the blinders are amongst too many mainstream critics when it comes to films of obvious speculative origin.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Tim the Wiz said:
Amen. The paucity of serious critical recognition that followed it just cements how stubborn the blinders are amongst too many mainstream critics when it comes to films of obvious speculative origin.

Seriously? There's a pantheon of critically acclaimed speculative films. I think you guys are just overrating Children of Men ;)

X26

Banned
Recently finished American Gods

At times it was a bit convoluted/hard to follow, and many of the gods I couldn't get a good mental image of due to lack of familiarity and description, but overall I loved the book

dakster

Neo Member
Just finished The girl with the dragon tattoo. Decent read that picked up a lot better in the final third of the book.

Magicked

Has anyone subscribed to the Library of America (http://loa.org) collection? I got my first set today and they are incredible books. The construction quality blows my mind, and despite being 1000+ pages they feel great in my hands.

I got the Mark Twain set to start with:

4272307179_01b9340779_b.jpg

:D

Top Bottom