• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 09)

Musashi Wins! said:
An intellectual awakening?

You're going to tear through that motherfucker. You'll do two deep readings per chapter, and when you're done with the book, you'll wipe the sweat from your brow and trudge to Borders and pick up The Brothers Karamazov and taste the sweet torment once again.

Else you'll read some basterdized cliff notes online and 15 years from now smirk at your step child as you see them bring it home as an assignment and mutter something about that piece of shit you attempted to read once. The memory will dissipate in a swig of lite canned beer. Your shoes will be ugly.

Those are your two paths.
The Brothers Karamazov is a book that changed my life profoundly. I can't describe how important that book is to me.

I used to read a whole lot of tripe, but after I read TBK (on an arbitrary whim).
TBK made me want to read the best of literature and it made me explore myself in ways that few other books have.

GMB

Banned
c740.jpg

Pretty good stories, the author was insane though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukio_Mishima#Ritual_suicide said:
On November 25, 1970, Mishima and four members of the Tatenokai, under pretext, visited the commandant of the Ichigaya Camp—the Tokyo headquarters of the Eastern Command of Japan's Self-Defense Forces.[4] Inside, they barricaded the office and tied the commandant to his chair. With a prepared manifesto and banner listing their demands, Mishima stepped onto the balcony to address the soldiers gathered below. His speech was intended to inspire a coup d'etat restoring the powers of the emperor. He succeeded only in irritating them, however, and was mocked and jeered. He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku. The customary kaishakunin duty at the end of this ritual had been assigned to Tatenokai member Masakatsu Morita, but Morita was unable to properly perform the task: after several attempts, he allowed another Tatenokai member, Hiroyasu Koga, to behead Mishima.

And also
6a00c2252963c0549d0100a7fdb477000e-500pi

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Oh man, I'm not really liking the direction King is taking his Dark Tower series... :/

* I just finished Song of Susannah

I thought Song of Susannah was the weakest.

Book 7 is good. Many will disagree. I read all 7 books in about 2 months so I didn't have 10-20 years to build up expectations. The ending (the real ending) may be tough to take. At first I hated it, but thinking back it's not that bad.

After you read book 7, please answer this question, which I ask everyone who's read it. No one has a good answer. This is what bothered me most about book 7.

What didn't Susannah ask Patrick to draw her some freaking legs???

Undeux

Fleet of Foot said:
I think Wizard and Glass was my low point. Strangely, I think it's an amazing novel, but I just felt like it slowed the momentum of the series. I totally understand why people love it, though.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
GMB said:
True, my bad.

It's not your bad, he was a fucking loon. If he didn't have a fascist cluttered mind, who does? And I've enjoyed some of his stories.

DubloSeven said:
The Brothers Karamazov is a book that changed my life profoundly. I can't describe how important that book is to me.

I used to read a whole lot of tripe, but after I read TBK (on an arbitrary whim).
TBK made me want to read the best of literature and it made me explore myself in ways that few other books have.

I very much agree. I was obviously putting a goofy point on it, and I still read some tripe, but BK was formative for me too.

I've started re-reading the Bourne Identity again. Damn, I really wish the movie producers would have stuck to the book, and not made up a story.

Rayven

aka surume
Fleet of Foot said:

Book 7 is good. Many will disagree. I read all 7 books in about 2 months so I didn't have 10-20 years to build up expectations. The ending (the real ending) may be tough to take. At first I hated it, but thinking back it's not that bad.
Man I was fuming about the last 2 books when I read them. Plot mechanics so lazy, they were almost insulting. Such a train wreck (I read the series and every connecting story over a 15 year period FWIW).

Fleet of Foot said:
What didn't Susannah ask Patrick to draw her some freaking legs???
:lol I was too busy being pissed at
the Crimson King, supreme Stephen King Universe villain, being depicted as a retarded old man lobbing grenades off a balcony
to consider that.

I'm re-reading the Dune series ATM. I've read most of Herbert's other work, but I never got past the 3rd book.

wrowa

db92e0a1-0fdd-4ff3-9c01-12e3fa11a2a8.jpg

Finished reading it yesterday. Wonderland was my first Murakami and I really liked it, now I only need to know which of his books I'm going to read next :p Wild Sheep Chase sounds good, I think I will give that one a chance.

After finishing Wonderland I started:
sewergaselectric.jpg

Matt Ruff is probably one of my favorite authors and Sewer, Gas & Electric is the only book by him I didn't read so far. I just started reading it, so I can't really say anything about it just yet.

mike23

0441016162.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Read this last night.
I liked it quite a bit. It had a nice premise and was a quick read. There were some things that could have been explained more thoroughly, but overall everything went together well.

Teddman

FilthyLies said:
The Sun Also Rises

I've heard such great things about it, but it really has just failed to remotely interest me so far. Seems rather aimless really. I'm about halfway through and wondering if it's worth my time to finish it up.
It has a pretty good ending, I'd finish it if I were you. Not one of my favorite Hemingways, but still good. I have kind of weird taste in his novels though, my faves are To Have and Have Not and A Moveable Feast.

soyboy said:
41b3Sja1NIL_SS500_-1.jpg

Just picked this off of my roommates shelf. Probably the only Camus I haven't read.

I read most of the main essay. It is a bit all over the place. It definitely doesn't have the razor focus that some of his other stuff has. Could be a crappy translation or other reasons... in fact I think I have it on my shelf now... I'll have to check.

6a00cdf7e93523094f00f48cfe64d50001-500pi

Just started it this morning. Really interesting premise, I'm not very far into it but I'm already enjoying it. It's kind of a mental challenge to imagine the protagonist as a 75-year-old man, as well as the other characters he talks to.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just started it this morning. Really interesting premise, I'm not very far into it but I'm already enjoying it. It's kind of a mental challenge to imagine the protagonist as a 75-year-old man, as well as the other characters he talks to.

If you think that's weird. Just wait.

Fantastic book.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
wrowa said:
sewergaselectric.jpg

Matt Ruff is probably one of my favorite authors and Sewer, Gas & Electric is the only book of him I didn't read so far. I just started reading it, so I can't really say anything about it just yet.

This is a little odd for me to hear, because I wasn't aware he wrote anything other than S,G & E. It's sort of a satire of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, and therefore quite hilarious at times.

9782070355709.jpg

If you can read french... one of the best fantasy books of the past 2 years. Some short stories located in the same universe... Really great.

EDIT : Hope this will be translated !

bengraven

the-strain-del-toro-chuck-hogan.jpg

Have to say I'm disappointed. It feels like Guillermo wrote one certain character's chapters and the other 90% of it was a cheap Critchton rip-off. Still going to finish it, because it's fucking vampires...

tolkien_legend_of_sigurd_gudrun.jpg

Also disappointed. Christopher Tolkien's supplimental material is never something I complain about normally, but it feels like he's going off on too many tangents and we're getting more suppliment than actual JRR works.

epitome said:
I picked this up because I always see it get a mention and it sounded interesting
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/26670000/26672666.jpg

man was I wrong, I gave it 100 pages and easily came to the conclusion that this is not my kinda fiction. I do not know how else to explain it just was not getting into it and just seemed like a giant cluster fuck of information/story that i couldnt get into. whatever but not for me. Is this more a dislike of this genre of fiction or just this particular author? as I have read neither the author or this type of fiction before.

I'm not sure if that's sci-fi or not but I'm reading another book by the author called Snow Crash that is. In this book, Stephenson seems like he's trying too hard to be cool. The protagonist's name is Hiro Protagonist. And he wields a sword. And there's a skater girl. And they wear goggles. It was written in 1992, so that Ninja Turtle punk stuff was in back then. Asimov is more my style.

moved onto this also because of recommendations on these threads all the time. I enjoyed no country for old men the movie, never read the guys books though.
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/12590000/12596741.jpg
I am trying with this one because it seems a short enough read but I am not a fan of this guys writting style. i hate reading a page of words just to describe how the weather is for the day. I dunno how else to describe it, I am nowhere done reading the book and I will read it all the way but just saying do not care for this type of writing style. Again I do not read much fiction I have always been a non fiction reader until I started checking out these threads. I was checking out the Blood Meridian how is it? I enjoy western movies but this will be my first western book to read and again 2nd book by McCarthy, is it written in the same style?

The journey was so dreary. I can't say I enjoyed reading most of it, but there are some really great, compelling moments though. I'm really looking forward to the movie since it seems like it would translate to visuals really well.

JonStark said:
9782070355709.jpg

If you can read french... one of the best fantasy books of the past 2 years. Some short stories located in the same universe... Really great.

EDIT : Hope this will be translated !

I really need to delve into French fantasy/scifi more. I've only read Damasio's La Horde du Contrevent (somebody posted it in one of these threads long ago), and loved it. Any recommendations (aside from the one you just posted, of course)? Gah, I wish I could buy French books more easily.

Salazar

Musashi Wins! said:
It's not your bad, he was a fucking loon. If he didn't have a fascist cluttered mind, who does? And I've enjoyed some of his stories.

A fanatic, yes. A fascist, I think not. In any case, if the grounds for deeming Mishima insane rest largely on the consideration 'Well, I wouldn't commit ritual suicide for an archaic principle', then that's actually a little weak.

Mifune

Mehmber
man was I wrong, I gave it 100 pages and easily came to the conclusion that this is not my kinda fiction. I do not know how else to explain it just was not getting into it and just seemed like a giant cluster fuck of information/story that i couldnt get into. whatever but not for me. Is this more a dislike of this genre of fiction or just this particular author? as I have read neither the author or this type of fiction before.

That's a difficult book, not recommended to those new to Stephenson, and especially not recommended to those fairly new to fiction in general.

Snow Crash is his most accessible book by far.

Alucard

Banned
Finished it today...

400000000000000031362_s4.jpg

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb

The second book of Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy builds on the storylines established in Assassin's Apprentice, and continues the painful tale of FitzChivalry. Once again, the strength of the book is its personal nature, as Hobb is able to transport the reader into the mind of its protagonist, and make us cringe and grit our teeth along with him. How Hobb manages to make us care about a young man who is continuously having an awful time of things is incredible, considering how easy it would have been for Fitz to be written as a whiny, emotional child.

In terms of the plot, Royal Assassin really delves into the magic system of this trilogy, focusing on the relationship between Fitz and a wolf cub. The hero continually struggles with his addiction to this so-called beast magic, known as the Wit, as well as his unreliable control over his psychic Skilling abilities. Like in the first book, much of Hobb's scenarios deal with the mundane, ordinary routines of life. It is this dedication to maintaining a grounded tale that allows the fantasy aspects to seem plausible and not in the least bit outrageous. Hobb obviously believes in her world and her characters fully, and this belief translates to the reader also.

There are numerous things to enjoy and love about this book. From kingly entanglements, to major battles with Forged ones, to a more prominent love story, and an utter disdain for the villain on the reader's part; everything feels grand and epic, despite the book's small-scale focus on the actions of one kingdom and its inhabitants. Hobb has a real talent for making the reader adore her heroes, while at the same time placing them in situations where there is no clear-cut correct decision. The amorality of some of Fitz's actions make him feel like a real human being and someone we can identify with.

Speaking of identifying with characters, each one of the major players is incredibly memorable. From the Fool, to Verity, to King Shrewd, and especially to Queen Kettricken, everyone gets plenty of time to shine in their own way. This is a wonderful book for males and females alike, with role models for both sexes.

If you are seeking an episodic fantasy tale that has various dramatic scenes and happenings, from beginning to end, Royal Assassin is a good bet. Despite a slightly weak ending, the book sets the stage for the grand finale of Assassin's Quest, with plenty of plot threads left to be tied up, and many vendettas to be satisfied. If you're going to read one of these books, you should be prepared to read all of them. 4/5

Next up: Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb.

gdt

jmdajr said:
Michael Jackson- Unmasked
-the final years of michael jackson-

Hmm...

IIRC the author appeared on the Stern Show last week. Seemed like a decent guy/author/journalist.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Salazar said:
A fanatic, yes. A fascist, I think not. In any case, if the grounds for deeming Mishima insane rest largely on the consideration 'Well, I wouldn't commit ritual suicide for an archaic principle', then that's actually a little weak.

I don't consider it that weak if the principle is a modern devotion to rule by emperor and you disembowel yourself as a culmination of a sort of narcissism / homosexuality cult where he was the super hero to like minded young men. I'm not saying the guy was Hitler or anything of the kind, and perhaps in the annals of artists he can even be considered tame, but he certainly seems bonkers to me. That could be a largely subjective judgment, I'm comfortable with that.

Salazar

Musashi Wins! said:
I don't consider it that weak if the principle is a modern devotion to rule by emperor and you disembowel yourself as a culmination of a sort of narcissism / homosexuality cult where he was the super hero to like minded young men. I'm not saying the guy was Hitler or anything of the kind, and perhaps in the annals of artists he can even be considered tame, but he certainly seems bonkers to me. That could be a largely subjective judgment, I'm comfortable with that.

You have a point, and I wouldn't invite him to dinner, but what typically filters through lacks the background you've given. To Mishima, his suicide was a philosophical act, not merely or much more than it was an emotional one. Crazy is probably still an applicable adjective, but it's a little general. Misleadingly so.

bumbillbee said:
I really need to delve into French fantasy/scifi more. I've only read Damasio's La Horde du Contrevent (somebody posted it in one of these threads long ago), and loved it. Any recommendations (aside from the one you just posted, of course)? Gah, I wish I could buy French books more easily.

Those really worth it :

575-kro604.jpg
and
576-kro604.jpg

Le secret de Ji, 1 and 2 by Pierre Grimbert.

But I advise you against the sequel "Les enfants de Ji". Not as good as the original novel, and even if the cover keeps Grimbert's name, it was mostly written by an other. (Ah, editors love money...)

Zozobra

FishSquared said:
masseffect_revelation_cover_01_400x297.jpg

I'm loving it.

I immediately went out and bought both of the Mass Effect novels after completing the game. I really enjoyed 'Revelation' as well because it fleshed out Saren's character and how he became the way he was at the beginning of ME1. I don't think I would have liked it as much if I had read it before playing the game, though.

'Ascension,' while not quite as engaging, was a good read on it's own. I'm interested in seeing how the story of ME2 plays out as I have a feeling that the antagonists were mentioned in this novel:
The Collectors(?)

What I'm reading:

22kbrs.jpg

I've been easing myself into Star Wars lore and I enjoy Drew's style. About 150 pages in so far and I'm enjoying myself

2jfh8r5.jpg

<3 Brian Cox. There's just something about his style of presentation that I find utterly engaging. REALLY enjoying this one.

Hari Seldon

My friend just got me into Murakami. He started me with this:

419CD6H7XSL._SS500_.jpg

I'm about halfway through. This is *way* more high-brow than I normally read, but I love it. I really dig his minimalist style of writing, and his themes really speak to me as a cube warrior. I have already ordered 2 of his novels after I am done with this.

Lorr

YagizY said:
Just finished this today. First Vonnegut book I've read and damn is he a good writer. What else is considered his best? Cat's Cradle?

I've read those two and The Sirens Of Titan, and all were great. I actually think I prefer Sirens to Cat's Cradle even though the latter is probably more well written, but that might just have to do with how much they were hyped up for me.

51SPMW4QYHL._SS500_.jpg

Just started Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Hari Seldon

Oh shit! Forgot to mention this! I had this baby pre-ordered and it showed up to my house a few days ago!!!!

Buy it gogogogogog

n246156.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
1zzrkv9.jpg

I'm really hooked on Murakami at the moment. After the Quake was my first short story collection I read from him and I really liked it. Super Frog saves Tokyo and All God's Children Can Dance were my favorite storys. The Elephant Vanishes is next on my list and I'm really expecting lot from it because I've heard so many good things about it. I think short storys fits Murakami's writing style really well and I hope he writes more short stories in the future.

Ptaaty

Moby Dick...but I paused half way through, need a breather.

Picked up Hyperion and World Without End...about 100 pages into each, not sure which to read through first so I keep switching :)

Never have had more then one book at a time before.

YagizY said:
Just finished this today. First Vonnegut book I've read and damn is he a good writer. What else is considered his best? Cat's Cradle?

Cat's Cradle is probably his best. The Sirens of Titan could be as well. You can't go wrong with reading everything. I really love Slapstick, it's very funny, but Vonnegut gives it a D in relation to his other books. You might just want to start from Player Piano (which is good, but near the top) and read chronologically.

wrowa

Lorr said:
51SPMW4QYHL._SS500_.jpg

Just started Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

This reminds me of something... Is the sixth hitchiker's still supposed to come out this October?

I love Douglas Adams' books and even though I don't want to imagine reading a hitchiker's that isn't written by him, I know for sure that I have to see (uh, read) what Eoin Colfer has done with his creation. Even if it's just to see that he did a terrible job... :(

Top Bottom