• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2011)

nn1qn5.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Blogs
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

If you have some good links post them and i will put them in.

!!BOOK CLUB!!
The Book Club book of the month for February is ....

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

Cyan said:
All right ladies and gents, the March Book Club selection is Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein.

You've got a week to get your hands on the book. Fortunately, it's a whole lot easier to find than Flashman. It's a popular classic and should be available at your local library.

If you want to buy a copy:
Amazon link
Kindle edition

coldvein

Banned
still finishing last month's bookclub book, flashman.

hopefully soon to purchase this month's bookclub book.

and definitely reeading lonesome traveler by the one and only legendary jack kerouac. should be quite a treat after reading some really disappointing stuff last month. (joe abercrombie).

choodi

Banned
41iBVNX-lJL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-20,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I needed something quick, fun and light after wading through Towers of Midnight.

I don't know how I avoided Terry Pratchett's books for so long, but I am glad I started reading them. So fun!

Its been nothing but unadulterated bliss so far. :)

Unforutnately I'm nearly caught up. I'm about 65% of the way through and the final 6% is usually taken up by notes/maps/acknowledgements.

Salazar

Maklershed said:

Unforutnately I'm nearly caught up. I'm about 65% of the way through and the final 6% is usually taken up by notes/maps/acknowledgements.

lol. I just bought my brother a Kindle for his birthday. It's so much nicer than mine.

coldvein

Banned
Maklershed said:

yes sir. i think the book has received a fair amount of hate, but i absolutely loved every second of it. can't wait to read it again.

(probably for the "GAF Reads SoIaF: RIP G. MARTIN thread). :(

ngower

George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia
Karl Marx - The Communist Manifesto
Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
George Orwell - Animal Farm
Jean-Paul Sartre - Nausea
Paul Fussell - The Great War and Modern Memory
Plato - Timaeus
Melvyn Dubofsky - We Shall Be All
Matthew D. Lasiter and Andrew B. Lewis - The Moderates' Dilemma
Aristotle - Nicomachean Ethics

:'( Raped by school

Darklord

Banned
Started the mammoth New Jedi Order series. First book has been alright, interesting enough to buy the next book at least.

Vector_Prime.jpg

coldvein

Banned
Ratrat said:
Its probably the most read/liked book on gaf. edit...crows! i'm an idiot.

perhaps i'm out of touch. my perception was that it's definitely the least popular of the dudes books. (which doesn't make it a bad book by any means)

51FKUEeqMhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

10th and final book! I haven't been this excited in probably a decade.

51DUM%2BeQbbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Best new fantasy out. Amazing. If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you must.

Best release day ever. I'm seriously geeking out right now.

Edit: I'm(?)

Ratrat

coldvein said:
perhaps i'm out of touch. my perception was that it's definitely the least popular of the dudes books. (which doesn't make it a bad book by any means)
I would have hoped Dying of the Light would have that honor, but you're right. I made a mistake back there. I assumed it was Thrones by just glancing at the cover.

JackEtc

Reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe for English class. The book is okay, so far. Names trip me up though.

Zwei

6a00d834515c2769e201156fb0eb07970c-800wi

I'm reading this once again. I read TGG is high school of course, but I don't think I was able to appreciate it back then..

thomaser

41nVGTV6o0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, for the second time. The Bedford edition with critical studies. Heathcliff is such an awesome character...

eznark

Banned
2teHT.jpg

About a third of the way through it. There isn't a ton of new information to anyone versed in the battle or the time, but O'Connell does spend some time focusing on the Carthaginian culture instead of focusing on Hannibal (who isn't really all that Carthaginian). Definitely enjoying it. By some time it is brief, but at least it exists. They get the same "fucker were monsters!" treatment but it's a little understated.

hI5Jr.jpg

Reading this for the book club. Through the first ten chapters or so. Pretty positive I am not going to like it. I sort of like it so far but I think it's going to end up being a real product of its time. As soon as it gets hokey I'm probably gonna drop it for the new Rothfuss.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm forcing myself to read through Hyperion now. I HAVE to. No more delays. I even read the prologue last night...which was like five pages. :\

Tyrion81

Neo Member
9780765356147.jpg

Finishing up this series after reading The Way of Kings. Gotta say that I like the beginning story lines of The Way of Kings, better then I liked Mistborn. I kinda feel like I'm just reading to finish it right now. I like his writing style, but these characters aren't really doin it for me.

After this though, picking up Game of Thrones again to re-read before the start of the HBO series.

ngower

While I've already made too many posts for today, I'll just add that I got my Kindle mailed down from home, so hopefully I can find time to read something non-academic!

Bananakin

Still working on Hitch-22, I haven't had much time for reading lately. After that my plan is something like: The High Road by Terry Fallis, The Making of Star Wars by J.W. Rinzler, then probably The Catcher in the Rye.

Top Bottom