• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (May 2011)

PBY

Banned
The_Seven_Storey_Mountain,_by_Thomas_Merton,_book_cover.jpg

"The more you try to avoid suffering, the more you suffer, because smaller and more insignificant things begin to torture you, in proportion to your fear of being hurt. The one who does most to avoid suffering is, in the end, the one who suffers most."

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Kawl_USC said:
Also what is everyone's favorite detective/noir novel/series? I'd really appreciate any solid recommendations, I can't seem to settle in to any of the books I already own at the moment so I'm looking for something entertaining to give me my book focus back. Thanks!

My favorite traditional series are Ross Macdonald's Lew Archer novels. They're never particularly deep, but always have a good amount of twists, snappy dialog, and Archer's roughed-up gumshoe narrative plays out nicely in your head.

For something modern with more of an action bent, those aforementioned Rain novels by Barry Eisler are plenty entertaining, as are the Atticus Kodiack books by Greg Rucka.

If you want to go all crazy postmodern noir (think along the lines of Crank in book form), Duane Swieczynski is king, and it's a wonder none of his work has been adapted yet since it often reads like a Hollywood script. The Wheelman, the Blonde, and Severance Package are completely bonkers, wildly over-the-top and tremendously fun, quick reads.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Kawl_USC said:
Also what is everyone's favorite detective/noir novel/series? I ask because I really enjoyed the Dresden Files as well as the Myron Bolitar series. I remember seeing in a few threads (maybe on a different forum) about a series of novels set in Moscow, and the struggle to deal with the corruption there while trying to solve a murder, but really I'm open for any good book in this genre. I'd really appreciate any solid recommendations, I can't seem to settle in to any of the books I already own at the moment so I'm looking for something entertaining to give me my book focus back. Thanks!

I have a soft spot for Lawrence Block, especially the Bernie Rhodenbarr and Keller series. Keller is a hoot.

Fjordson

Help Me! said:
I did an independent study for my Master's degree on cyberpunk and here was the reading list:

Bethke, Bruce. “Cyberpunk.”
Bester, Alfred. The Stars My Destination.
Brunner, John. Stand on Zanzibar.
Delany, Samuel R. Empire Star.
Doctorow, Cory. Makers.
Effinger, George Alec. When Gravity Fails.
Kelly, James Patrick, and John Kessel, eds. Rewired: The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology.
Rucker, Rudy. Software.
Shirley, John. City Come 'a Walkin'
Sterling, Bruce, ed. Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology.
Sterling, Bruce. Schismatrix Plus.
Stross, Charles. Accelerando.
Tiptree, Jr., James. The Girl Who Was Plugged In.
I cut out the redundant texts (Gibson x4, Stephenson x2, Dick x2, etc.) from your original list.

There were also several other books/articles on the movement, etc. And some of the above texts may not be cyberpunk, but are beginnings of the movement. Hell, I'll even let you read the 55 page paper I wrote, if you want.
Wow, thanks man. Actually would love to read the paper, too. The cyberpunk books I've read have been great (Neuromancer and Altered Carbon are some of my all-time favourites) so I've been dying to check out more of the genre. That Alfred Bester book gets mentioned a lot, but his stuff seems to be out of print. You wouldn't happen to remember anyone in your class talking about Bester's work and how to get a hold of it would you?

Mumei

About two-thirds of the way through Don Quixote (I'm not normally this slow, honest), and I picked up some books and manga from the Borders that was closing near me. I also reread The Giver and read Ken Miller's Only A Theory, both of which were great.

Ceebs

41jaemdqf7l._ss500_9knp.jpg

Juliet, Naked - Nick Hornby

I picked this up on a whim since I had not read anything by Hornby since A Long Way Down (Which I 100% hated btw) It was actually a very enjoyable read. It's not his best, but I would not hesitate to recommend it.

nationp8v8.jpg

Nation - Terry Pratchett

This is like the 4th or 5th time I have read this one, but I love it even more every time. I still think it's by far Pratchett's best novel and I have read pretty much everything he has written.

Now to scour this thread looking for something new to read.

Ceebs

Maklershed said:
Ha Ha, trust me I have gone through the most relevant of those threads already.

Edit: Although if someone had some historical fiction suggestions I would love to hear them. (Anything set in the 18th & 19th centuries would be grand)

Sleepy

Just finished:

The Pale King- David Foster Wallace

41QIE0CcEAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Beautiful, awe-inspiring, tragic (under the circumstances), but also tedious and mindnumbingly boring, which was the point. For fans only.

Continuing:

Inverting the Pyramind- Jonathan Wilson

51Q64hYJRaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm learning quite a bit about the history of tactics, but not so much on the analysis of tactics. Still, it's fascinating stuff.

Starting:

Players- Don DeLillo

41M44HB5DYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've read quite of few of his later, and more popular works, so this is one off the beaten path. Expecting good stuff, though.

Schlep

Catching up on some eBooks now that I finally have my Kindle instead of trying to use the iPad.

Just finished. Good read, but I wish it were more about what goes into the food outside of
shit

51EmtHe6CRL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Started reading. So far I'm surprised that I actually like the DA book. Only about halfway through, and just started GCBC today.

41MooPM7XdL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-15,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51EDIj0vhtL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Kawl_USC

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'll have enough detective books to pick from to scratch that itch for quite a while!

Salazar said:
lol damn. Sorry - I get that problem an awful lot in Australia.

Also, I learned that if you simply change your country of residence for you Kindle on Amazon (all you need is a semivalid address for whichever country you wish to "live in") that you can get around location restrictions. Which means I am now reading Flashman and Pyrates by Fraser. I just started Pyrates and I have to say that it is already hilarious. So thank you for this recommendation!

Salazar

Kawl_USC said:
Also, I learned that if you simply change your country of residence for you Kindle on Amazon (all you need is a semivalid address for whichever country you wish to "live in") that you can get around location restrictions. Which means I am now reading Flashman and Pyrates by Fraser. I just started Pyrates and I have to say that it is already hilarious. So thank you for this recommendation!

Holy shit.

Excellent.

Currently taking a break from Wise Man's Fear and started on Shadow's Edge ( Book 2 of the Night Angel Trilogy). Really good series.

UnlovedJew said:
Currently taking a break for Wise Man's Fear and started on Shadow's Edge ( Book 2 of the Night Angel Trilogy). Really good series.

Just finished that up. Took me about a month to get through it, but the second half went a lot faster once things started happening. All in all, it was a good read and I'll be ready for the conclusion whenever it comes out.

Anyway, debating on starting The Hunger Games Saga, going for a reread of ASOIAF before Dance comes out in a couple months (Holy shit, it's really happening) or going for some fresh scifi.

Also for my non-fiction - I finished up Methland. Amazing and disturbing.

Sleepy

Fjordson said:
Wow, thanks man. Actually would love to read the paper, too. The cyberpunk books I've read have been great (Neuromancer and Altered Carbon are some of my all-time favourites) so I've been dying to check out more of the genre. That Alfred Bester book gets mentioned a lot, but his stuff seems to be out of print. You wouldn't happen to remember anyone in your class talking about Bester's work and how to get a hold of it would you?

You're welcome. I bought that book from amazon used, I think. Yep, here it is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1857988140/?tag=neogaf0e-20 $15 used. And as the course was an independent study, it was just me and the professor. Oh, I checked and the paper is 35 pages. PM me your email if you want it.

movie_club

I just finished:
sirens_of_titan.jpg

Definitely nowhere near the genius of Slaughterhouse and Cats Cradle, the only other two by Vonnegut I have read, but it was still full of more genius that most books. Draged a bit in some sots but overall I would recommend it; but not as a Vonnegut starting point.

I just started:
the-sun-also-rises-poster-873-p.jpg

My first Hemingway!

WedgeX

Banned
peterb0y said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/The_Seven_Storey_Mountain,_by_Thomas_Merton,_book_cover.jpg
"The more you try to avoid suffering, the more you suffer, because smaller and more insignificant things begin to torture you, in proportion to your fear of being hurt. The one who does most to avoid suffering is, in the end, the one who suffers most."

I've been in a funk with reading on and off for a good four months. Now I want to read this book. Thank you.

LocoMrPollock said:
Just finished that up. Took me about a month to get through it, but the second half went a lot faster once things started happening. All in all, it was a good read and I'll be ready for the conclusion whenever it comes out.

Anyway, debating on starting The Hunger Games Saga, going for a reread of ASOIAF before Dance comes out in a couple months (Holy shit, it's really happening) or going for some fresh scifi.

Also for my non-fiction - I finished up Methland. Amazing and disturbing.
Yeah, I would finish Wise Man's Fear up but the Ademre stuff is got fairly slow after a few chapters. And The Hunger Games Trilogy is really great if you like survival with love thrown in. Be warned though, the final book moves extremely fast towards the second half and becomes almost hard to digest.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. So damn good. After putting it down, I called my mom and told her I love her. The book really reminds you to appreciate your family while they're still around.

shortyme

Currently reading The Internet is a Playground: Irreverent Correspondences of an Evil Online Genius by David Thorpe.

I've lol'd a lot.

giri

Salazar said:
lol damn. Sorry - I get that problem an awful lot in Australia.
Rumour has it, just change your account location to the US, and you should get the US kindle store. Don't have to change the delivery address, just your default location.

Looking for something fun, I got What I'd Say to the Martians: and other veiled threats by Jack Handey.
61ay204KV4L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Very silly; I am enjoying it very much. I'll just share a few random bits I saved...
Long ago an asteroid hit our planet and killed our dinosaurs. But in the future, maybe we’ll go to another planet and kill their dinosaurs.
To me, it’s a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, “Hey, can you give me a hand?” you can say, “Sorry, got these sacks.”
Things first started to go bad, in my view, in 1962. That’s when the council announced that it would promote not only waffles and pancakes, but also, where appropriate, bank robbery.
So this was what the natives called the “terror bird.” It turned out to be nothing more than a gigantic forty-foot eagle that shot fire out of its mouth.

Ceebs

316SbaKqZUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Started over the weekend after seeing it mentioned a few times in these threads. Could not put it down and finished it over the course of a day. Picked up Royal Flash at lunch and will start on that right away.

Garryk said:
Finished A Game of Thrones last week and am now reading A Clash of Kings.

Jealous.

Anyway, decided on Hunger Games since they are all pretty short reads, shouldn't take me too long to get through the whole series. Went through nearly half of the first book last night and it is pretty good. Already like Katniss a lot.

I'm just starting this:

The_Wolf_Age_Fantasy_pdf_rtf_epub_lit_lrf_mob.jpg

It's the third "official" book of the tales of James Enge's (a pseudonym for Professor James M. Pfundstein - an even better name if you ask me) character Morlock Ambrosius, a notorious swordsman, hunchback, drunk, and Maker. The first book, Blood of Ambrose was (for me) all over the place, from merely ok in spots to great in others. But it was good enough to where I also read his second offering This Crooked Way, which was a reworked and ordered collection of short stories that had been previously published. It was really good. You could tell that the short format is where Enge shines.

So I had heard good things about The Wolf Age, but was a little nervous going in seeing as it's a full length novel again. Fifty pages in and my fears are completely groundless. This book is passing them both by leaps and bounds. Enge is a professor of classics and he's so grounded in myth and legend that he brings an amazing new breath of fresh air to the sword and sorcery genre.

Salazar

Ceebs said:
Picked up Royal Flash at lunch and will start on that right away.

Awwww yeah. Magnificent book.

I am finishing off Retribution Falls (which has been interesting enough), and pushing on with J.I.M. Stewart's Patullo cycle.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
19001.jpg

Props to the guy who finished The Pale King, but it can't be more tedious than the 600 pages of A Perfect Spy by John le Carre. I finished it last night. I don't know why, other than I developed a kind of adversarial relationship with it, and I didn't want it to beat me. And I'm not just being contrarian, because I also just finished the much-lauded A Visit from the Goon Squad and really liked it.

Avoid at all costs.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Miss Happiness and Miss Flower is every bit as perfect as I remember it. A wonderful wonderful experience.

Also just finished:

41SDEA4KDPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Beautifully crafted short, human stories.

Jarlaxle

Just finished:

51feAooUGrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

While I definitely respect the amount of work that went into this trilogy and the incredible amount of depth in the world builing (100 pages of Appendix), I was left disappointed with this series.

spoilers:
I didn't care for the main character, Kellhus, at all. He was an unrelatable protagonist and I'm not exactly sure if that is what Bakker is going for with this series. I get the feeling that he will wind up being the antagonist and siding with the no-God when it's all said and done. I hated what they did with the Esmenet character and found the whole "whore of gold" trope to be predictable and unbelievalbe. While I enjoyed some of the philosophy sections, it wore out the welcome near the end. I like how Achamian finally renounced Esmenet and Kellhus and his school. Other than Cnauir, he was the only character I enjoyed and rooted for. I'm not entirely clear on the ending and I may need some time to let it sink in but is Kellhus actually mad as Moenghus suggests or can he just see further than his father? The person that was asking Kellhus all of those questions was actually the no-God, right? What happened to Cnauir?

I know there are two other books out in this series right now but I might take a break from this series for a little bit or at least until the third book is out in the next series.

Starting:

51Z1XDHPTqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finished:

Born+to+Run.jpg

Loved this book so much. I ran in High School and since then have struggled with the love to run and the payment of injury's to do it. I started running in 5-fingers almost 2 years ago and all those problems vanished. Really inspiring book and critical for anyone that wants to increase the health and joy of running.

lies-of-locke-lamora.jpg

Truly the shittiest looking book cover I have ever had to look at in order to enjoy a great book. I enjoyed the whole tale. I think Lynch has a compelling way of writing and aside from some parts that drag on the book was definitely a nice way to gear up for summer.

Reading:

the%2Bwise%2Bmans%2Bfear.jpg

Only about 200 pages in so far but damn I love this series. Such truly fantastic writing. Makes almost every fantasy I have read seem so clunky in comparison.

ngower

6113XDPUrVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm about halfway through, most of which was read on a train ride home from college, but I can't say I'm particularly pressed to pick it up again. Not to say I haven'y enjoyed it.

41EWaiuNLGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The First Tycoon: The Epic Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt by T.J. Stiles

I have only rented this from the library for some research. Stiles included a bibliographical essay and I've been using that, as well as some contacts and librarians, to help me get some background knowledge on the 19th century American economy for my thesis course in a year. I intend to buy this book at some point, but for now I just need the research assistance. I'm considering reading Goodheart's 1861 as well to get more background info, but I'm not sure I'll need to.

71BCSM7142L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.gif

51a8PywGvuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

71JVX8F4Z0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.gif

These three are all for an independent study. I'm hoping to get really deep into the readings soon, but for now I'm just putting it off as it's quite the task to complete.

Proc

Just bought my first kindle and grabbed Fight Club for it.

I'm really digging it so far.

Has there been any motivation of having a Gaf monthly book club? I wouldn't be the one to suggest/recommend the books every month but I'd definitely be up for joining.

Proc said:
Has there been any motivation of having a Gaf monthly book club? I wouldn't be the one to suggest/recommend the books every month but I'd definitely be up for joining.
Look three posts up from yours. ;)

Reading:
51FMEXVD2JL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And

tales_of_dunk_and_egg.gif

Whoever posted Neil Gaiman's American Gods... one of my favorite contemporary fantasy books and one of the few books that I've read three times. Loved it.

I got scared away from Mieville thanks to his Perdido Street Station. People with giant bug heads, no thanks. I don't like reading stories that are gross for the sake of being gross.

Instead, I finally finished

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

I'm glad I finally decided to read such a seminal book. Some of the stories in there were disturbing. I don't think I'd want to be one of the first to settle Mars after that.

Ceebs

51G04DDPXEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just finished this one up. I think I preferred the first one however. This one felt like 80% setup with little payoff once he swapped places with the prince. Still a very enjoyable read and I picked up Flash For Freedom along with Pyrates to read next.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Finished reading Map of Bones by James Rollins and now I am reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

Salazar

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, because everybody has heard of Prisoner of Zenda and knows the plot? I sure as hell don't.

Foreknowledge of the plot doesn't markedly diminish the book.

There is a film, I understand - with Britt Ekland and Malcolm McDowell as Flashy. I don't believe it is terribly good, not least, I suppose, because so much of the pleasure and sense of the books is in what is rattling around inside Flashy's panicking mind.

Top Bottom