• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

capsule_616x353.jpg

Thought I'd give this a try with the 2 Hour trial from PS Plus. A lot more fun than I was expecting it to be, and I'm enjoying it way more than I felt about Borderlands 3.

Was pretty dissapointed when the time was up, definitely wanted to play more. I'll most likely end up buying this now. Art style is lovely and the combat feels pretty fun. Some decent depth to it too character/upgrades wise.

I'm playing Nioh again and it's weird. I am enjoying it but at the same time it's hard to keep coming back to the game. What's odd is I did the same thing like 5 years ago. Pretty much just get up to the same spot and just kind of lose interest in starting the game. Current in the second region, about halfway through. Also completely all the side missions as they pop in.

Anyone else experience or maybe that part of the game is just a lull for some reason?

Majormaxxx

Hogwarts legacy ps5

Dead space ps3

Both are great! Never got far in dead space but reached chapter 5 tonight. Think I'll get ea pro player due a month to play dead space remaster when I'm done.
I played dspace back when I got my ps3, in 2012...it was suuuper scary.

JakeWolf

Neo Member
Currently playing 3 games (Steam), good lord I really need to focus on one game before starting the next one.

Dead Space (2008): Incredible atmosphere, amazing world building, great control, great combat, splendid diegetic interface. Some issues with Vsync & mouse input but they're very easy to fix. Great game, definitely a must play.

Cold Fear (2005): Great atmosphere, good structure design & level design, too bad it's lacking an inventory system or any resemblance of resource management gameplay. Enemy variety is also very poor and their design are mostly generic. Overall I'd say give it a try if you like horror games but don't expect captivating gameplay loops like Resident Evil. Mechanically I wouldn't even call it a survial horror game, more like a horror third person shooter.

SOMA (2015): Fantastic experience, top notch atmosphere and creative world building. Gameplay is mostly physically based interaction which is something I've always loved since the Half-Life 2 days. For a game without combat I'm surprised at just how much I'm enjoying the gameplay loop. It definitely is the most engaging experience I've had with a non-combat focused game. Great game, highly recommended.

Last edited:

Yumi

I'm playing Nioh again and it's weird. I am enjoying it but at the same time it's hard to keep coming back to the game. What's odd is I did the same thing like 5 years ago. Pretty much just get up to the same spot and just kind of lose interest in starting the game. Current in the second region, about halfway through. Also completely all the side missions as they pop in.

Anyone else experience or maybe that part of the game is just a lull for some reason?
Same thing happened for me, twice with Nioh. I think the problem is, I’ll crave the combat, but the level design and pacing feels off. It’s a fun game to start, but about halfway, the story does nothing for me, enemy variety is lacking, inventory management becomes tiresome and the side missions I find unfulfilling other than progressing your avatar power.

Really hoping Wo Long fixes some of these issues cause the gameplay foundation is solid.

Vargavinter

Doing a second playthrough of Zelda: BOTW. I havent played it for years since I beat it the first time. So far I'm having a great time! BOTW is probably the only game I dont look things up I get stuck on. I ratcher screw around for an hour and just move on if I cant figure out where the thing i'm looking for is. Which is really odd for me, since I tend to stress-play a game to the finish. But in BOTW I actually savor every moment, but I realize that I use the teleportation-rune you find to teleport back and forth if i need something specific that I dont have in my bag. But all in all i'm maybe 15 hours in and its really REALLY fun.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Started playing Doki Doki Literature Club.

Quite the comfy visual novel. The vibe is funny and all the girls are pretty cute, while having different personalities to spice it up a little bit. The poems are nice too, it's fun that each girl have a different way of writting them and even then they still are all interesting to read. It could use a bit more of music variety but what it's there fits the mood nicely. So far, nice game.

Also what the fuck is this game. I went through a lot of shit, even deleted one of the character's file (Monika) from the game folder and now the game has restarted again. It's even more comfy and happy now, and it's making me even more confused and scared. This is good shit, reminds me of Pony Island in how it breaks the 4th wall, and it's delivered so fine that it kept me playing for like 4 or so hours straight, completely hooked. Great game, can't wait to keep playing and see how all of this ends.

Edit: went back to it and it seems I was barely 10 minutes away from beating the game lol. Anyway, I can really recommend this one to anyone who might have 5 hours to spare and wants to try something special. Very good stuff.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

R/C Rift Apart. Dude this game is legit one of the best looking games I've ever seen, if not THEE best. I'm playing it on Fidelity 40fps mode on an LG CX OLED and I can't stop taking screenshots. Also apart from the graphics it's an amazing game. Good story, great gameplay, awesome guns, great collectibles and replay-ability. Can't believe I waited this long to play it.

Last edited:

I've tried to get into both Nioh 1 & 3 multiple times, being a big fan of the Soulsbourne games, and I just can't stick with it. It might be that the world and story holds no interest for me.
Same thing happened for me, twice with Nioh.
Jinx

RickMasters

COD:MWII (online with friends) ,

octopath traveller (Im gonna end up buying it because ive gotten pretty far in...I think, Ive gotten far anyway..and its leaving gamepass, next week) ,

persona 3 portable, forza horizon 5, mooncrest and hot wheels via gamepass...

Also dipping in and out of ESO:eek:nline and Sea of theives (when my friends are tired of getting killed on COD, this SoT always a good stress relief.)

trying my hardsest to finish dark souls 1 in my backlog...I should have started quantum break or TR instead...would have finished either one of those by now.

Darius, zero wing and truxton on steam (quick fun, pick up and play shumps are always fun)

SteadyEvo

Dead Space 2008

Holds up surprisingly well. Noticed a trend in survival horror games like this and RE2 remake. Later stages turn into horde mode. Let’s throw as many enemies as possible at the player. TLOU does this as well. Guess it’s a common end game thing 🤷‍♀️ Would like to see a different approach to the later stages. But I’m enjoying replaying it. Takes me back to a simpler time in my life. Fond memories.

I've tried to get into both Nioh 1 & 3 multiple times, being a big fan of the Soulsbourne games, and I just can't stick with it. It might be that the world and story holds no interest for me.

Jinx
Yea I started skipping the cut scenes like after the first 3 but being honest, I've beat all the soulsbourne games and those "stories" don't really grab me either. But the gameplay is just so damn good that doesn't bother me.

I think the gameplay in Nioh is great. But something doesn't fully grab me. Not entirely sure if it's the level based missions, or the inventory system. Doesn't seem to be a true upgrade path for weapons, just collect more. Or maybe the side missions which are literally the same as the story levels, but just starting at a new location. Just not really sure.

I've played games for a loonnnnggg time and I've never really experienced this. Like, if someone asked me point blank, is Nioh a good game? My answer with no hesitation would be yes. Yet, I can't find myself turning on the game lol

Juza

I'm playing Darksiders 3 right now and it's...well... Why did they get rid of what made Darksiders such a good game and turn it into a Soul-like?

I have almost 6 hours and it's boring as hell tbh, but I will try beat it anyways.. very disappointed.

Resident Evil 2 (2019) aka RE2Make! Been procrastinating on playing it for years, first because I didn't have a decent gaming PC setup, and then because I wanted to wait to get a Steam Deck to play it in a more portable way instead.

Flipflopping aside, I enjoy the game very much so far, and put it on par with the RE1 Remake.

BossLackey

About 65% of the way through Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. Really enjoying it.

Just dropped Nioh over half way theough after trying to play it probably 5 times before. Despite being what is seemingly Team Ninja’s perfect target audience, it i has become an absolute chore to play. Same enemies over and over. Same areas recycled. Shitty loot constantly thrown at you. It’s not a difficulty thing. I can very much handle that. Im just bored to tears with it. Massively disappointing.

bender

What time is it?
-Wrapped up all the non-Rampage hunts in Monster Hunter Rise today.
-Got to the first save room in Metroid Prime
-Got the first coin in Mario Land 2.

JakeWolf

Neo Member
Dead Space 2008

Holds up surprisingly well. Noticed a trend in survival horror games like this and RE2 remake. Later stages turn into horde mode. Let’s throw as many enemies as possible at the player. TLOU does this as well. Guess it’s a common end game thing 🤷‍♀️ Would like to see a different approach to the later stages. But I’m enjoying replaying it. Takes me back to a simpler time in my life. Fond memories.
Not a game developer (although I'd love to be one) but If I were to make a survival game I would make the end game enemies more nightmarish & hard to read and more difficult to take on individually, maybe they have vigorously twisting & swirling tentacles that requires you to shoot/cut them off before going for that close up shotgun-to-the-face or magnum-to-the-weakspot etc.

Imagine a zombie game where all the end game zombies look like this, with each zombies having different style of mutations that requires some different approach:
IyuCV88.jpg

Artist Ben Wanat aka the Dead Space god

This essentially makes end game zombies mini-bosses, and each one has a trick up their sleeves (venom spitting, grab attack, throwing up parasites, crawing on walls & ceilings, splits in two halves when critically injured etc.)

You fight about 10-15 of these unpredictable beings in the final chapters, all of them somewhat different and no more than 3 at the same time, and then the game ends with a cool final boss, gg.

I'm playing Darksiders 3 right now and it's...well... Why did they get rid of what made Darksiders such a good game and turn it into a Soul-like?

I have almost 6 hours and it's boring as hell tbh, but I will try beat it anyways.. very disappointed.
I bought it on release and I have... I think 15 hours in, it's a great game but very frustrating at times (the wonky dodge mechanics in a dodge-based game doesn't help). I was thinking of picking it back up soon though and try to finish it this time.

Are you playing with Classic combat mode, or the default one? The option was added after I had already stopped playing but I heard it makes it much more enjoyable to Darksiders veterans (I think it makes it possible to actually dodge-cancel attacks/animations now, so it plays a lot more like the previous games).

Nico_D

Hogwarts (35 hrs in) and Prime. I also have Planet Zoo waiting for me to dig deeper into it - I dislike the UI tho, that keeps pushing me away from the game.

Juza

I bought it on release and I have... I think 15 hours in, it's a great game but very frustrating at times (the wonky dodge mechanics in a dodge-based game doesn't help). I was thinking of picking it back up soon though and try to finish it this time.

Are you playing with Classic combat mode, or the default one? The option was added after I had already stopped playing but I heard it makes it much more enjoyable to Darksiders veterans (I think it makes it possible to actually dodge-cancel attacks/animations now, so it plays a lot more like the previous games).
Yeah there is a classic mode but it's not what I thought, at first I thought it's about the buttons mapping but it turns out it's not. there is no description except "classic mode is for players who prefer the previous games" and there is no option to rebind the controller buttons in the game! so I used Steam's controller reconfig to override the default option and it works.

The classic mode changes 2 things :
- You can cancel the attack animation to perform dodge. *I feel like the dodge window became a bit wider*
- You can use the health items instantly without any animations nonsense.

It would have been helpful if they add options to silence that annoying watcher and to skip the forced slow walking.

Last edited:

Happosai

Been playing Super Mario Odyssey and replaying Quake on Steam. I regret having trashed my old Packard Bell desktop from my game room. Used to run all the old ID software games on that P.C.

At any rate, Steam version was certainly better than the port I tried out once on Nintendo 64.

RickMasters

I never played Minish Cap. Decided to play it now on the Switch.
FMMVtsu.jpg
This is exactly what I would be playing on switch right now if I had one. They have all the GBA zeldas on there, these days dont they?

I want to buy a nintendo, but I am a bit concerned that Ill go buy a bunch of my fave retro nintendo games and they wont do backwards compatibility to their next machine. Its the only thing that puts me off, with nintendo. otherwise Id own all the great NES, snes, megadrive, master system, PC engine and 8 and 16 bit arcade games they put on switch store. and would buy every console they make afterwards, to keep access to that library on their newer hardware, as I do with xbox.

SteadyEvo

Not a game developer (although I'd love to be one) but If I were to make a survival game I would make the end game enemies more nightmarish & hard to read and more difficult to take on individually, maybe they have vigorously twisting & swirling tentacles that requires you to shoot/cut them off before going for that close up shotgun-to-the-face or magnum-to-the-weakspot etc.

Imagine a zombie game where all the end game zombies look like this, with each zombies having different style of mutations that requires some different approach:
IyuCV88.jpg

Artist Ben Wanat aka the Dead Space god

This essentially makes end game zombies mini-bosses, and each one has a trick up their sleeves (venom spitting, grab attack, throwing up parasites, crawing on walls & ceilings, splits in two halves when critically injured etc.)

You fight about 10-15 of these unpredictable beings in the final chapters, all of them somewhat different and no more than 3 at the same time, and then the game ends with a cool final boss, gg.
I may have spoken too soon. Just when a group of enemies get stale a new one is introduced. And the puzzles are well done.

zizou6971

Neo Member
This is exactly what I would be playing on switch right now if I had one. They have all the GBA zeldas on there, these days dont they?

I want to buy a nintendo, but I am a bit concerned that Ill go buy a bunch of my fave retro nintendo games and they wont do backwards compatibility to their next machine. Its the only thing that puts me off, with nintendo.
Just Minish Cap iirc.
You can’t buy them, they’re included in the NSO subscription.

RAIDEN1

I have to say art-style-be damned but the latest Monkey Island game is easily up there with Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle etc....as a top tier LucasArts adventure more so when they are few and far between and the fact that we'll never get a proper Fate of Atlantis sequel....

Labolas

Finished The Vagrant. I really enjoyed the game. Surprised at how grim the game is. I was expecting a story similar to Dragon's Crown (this needs to come to PC btw). It's clearly inspired by Vanillaware's games. The game has a pretty good story for not having any voice acting in it. The maps are pretty straight forward. The story follows a vagrant Vivian who is a cursed Runewarden that's on the run from the Academy. And the story proceeds as such. I have to say the game that cost me like a dollar and some change, it has a lot of content. You can craft and find lot of items, food, weapons, armors, and runes to customized Vivian. The bosses are pretty unique looking and can be hard if you're not properly level up correctly and not using items particularly the final boss. Speaking of which there are multiple endings and there's even a new game plus. Overall, the game is a steal for what they're offering. (8.5/10)

Fanservice is pretty good as well.
ss_2513181f68bac87db9911339d2a7c1484fd90d3f.1920x1080.jpg
images
ss_db02d6acd1ed09fba633b4c3e8c8b3c55c2f178c.1920x1080.jpg

441227EDA2B5742C8CC50ED60377BB66D2F23031

Thought I'd go back to N Sane Trilogy and finish off Crash Bandicoot 2.

NegligibleBlondIbex-size_restricted.gif

This game sure does know how to make me rage and normally I never rage at any games. Crash is just a different beast entirely.

About 65% of the way through Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. Really enjoying it.

Just dropped Nioh over half way theough after trying to play it probably 5 times before. Despite being what is seemingly Team Ninja’s perfect target audience, it i has become an absolute chore to play. Same enemies over and over. Same areas recycled. Shitty loot constantly thrown at you. It’s not a difficulty thing. I can very much handle that. Im just bored to tears with it. Massively disappointing.
Felt the same way about Nioh sadly. Starts off awesome but it started getting really tedious to play after a while where I stopped enjoying it.

stn

Ton of stuff this weekend:
1. Bloodborne (PS4) - working up to the second boss. This game is amazing.
2. Star Ocean: The Divine Force (PS4) - I love it (performance issues aside).
3. Wanted: Dead (XSX) - I'm 2 hours in, heard its short so I may try to run through it.
4. Dead Space Remake (XSX) - First run. Just as amazing as I remember.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Felt the same way and deleted it in disgust. Then about a year later after getting an OLED tv and wanting something to make it pop, gave it another shot. Ended up loving it as a combat game, but just not as a Darksiders game.

engstra

Decided to play Turing Test since it was leaving PS+ subscription this month. Pretty decent puzzle game in the same style as portal. Some of the puzzles were a bit obtuse and story didn't do anything for me although it did allow for some interesting gameplay moments later on. It can be completed in one sitting so I'd say worth a shot if you enjoyed Portal or Talos Principle.

Currently playin Book of Demons on PC. They are having a free to play weekend on Steam to celebrate the release of the next game Hellcard. It's actually pretty damn awesome, well worth checking out while it's free. Also 80% off if you enjoy it.

sedg87

Evil Dead: Hail to the King
Made it to the second disc. Some of the bosses are pretty cool and I'm enjoying the setting and atmosphere, but the combat still isn't great. Some of the weapons just feel so weak.

Elden Ring
Beat a couple of bosses: Rykdard, Godfrey, and Morgott. Also switched my Reduvia build to a strength build; I'm using the Morais Greatsword. Still on the lookout for some new armor to replace the Briar set.

Ton of stuff this weekend:
1. Bloodborne (PS4) - working up to the second boss. This game is amazing.
2. Star Ocean: The Divine Force (PS4) - I love it (performance issues aside).
3. Wanted: Dead (XSX) - I'm 2 hours in, heard its short so I may try to run through it.
4. Dead Space Remake (XSX) - First run. Just as amazing as I remember.
God I wish I could play Bloodborne again for the first time. You're in for a hell of a ride. My username is from it. You won't understand it just yet (if it is indeed your first time playing).

Last edited:
Top Bottom