• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What have you just bought?

I was a huge movie buff in my teens & early 20s but fell off of it for some reason. I don't know why, but lately I have been craving a true cinematic experience like the first time I watched a Kubrick flick. Dennis Villenueve is a name I've seen floated around that is reminiscent of my favorite directors (Kubrick, Sorcesese, Coppala, Nolan, etc.) . I mentioned this in the GAF Discord server and got a few recs .

I bought the digital version of the movie Sicario. It's $5 on Apple right now & was easily worth the asking price.
iu

I also rented Arrival and the movie blew me away. I think it might be my favorite movie of all time but I would need to rewatch Interstellar to see how I feel about it in a true comparison.
iu

Based on my feelings for these 2 flicks, I will probably scour through Villenueve's work. His shots, framing, pacing, everything is just perfect. The tension in his long holds is just *chef kiss*. There is so much life in his shots.

Arrival nails everything perfectly on the head for me. The plot is quite unique--and a tour of perfectly executed writing. I am not super well versed on Sci-fi themes & tropes despite it being a favorite movie genre of mine so maybe this is old hat for others. I love that linguistics plays such a heavy role. And any movie that competently explores time as a central theme or plot device is immediately going to skyrocket on my personal list (Hence my love for Nolan's work).

Polytechnique will be my watch tonight. The movie looks incredibly grim and bold. But if Villenueve's craft is as honed in that movie as it was in Arrival, I am confident the material will be tactful.

I'll double feature Prisonsers tonight, based on the recs from Discord. I know nothing going in, which should make for a great watching experience.
Check out Enemy. My fav film by him after Arrival.

4PJaR2H.jpg

Do you work for them lol
Nah mate, saw their kickstarter years ago and forgot about it. Got a holiday booked and I was looking at a new snorkel mask and carry bag then came across these Aussie guys again. Looks the goods, a bit pricey but hey I'd rather quality when I'm deep underwater or sharing with my kids.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I bought an expensive cordless drill with a bunch of drill bits or whatever for the same reason. That was in 2018, I've used it twice. :/ But hey, at least I'll always have it.
I had to drill the wheels into a wooden basket for kids' toys, you could see that stuff was hard / impossible to do with a manual screwdriver, you cannot turn the screw fast enough to penetrate the wood. Took 3 minutes with a new tool / toy. I got 12V Bosch, hopefully it is enough when I need to drill for TV stand in a brick wall.

mekes

Just ordered a minisforum hx90 mini pc. There was some drama around this product with false advertising around liquid metal use and a carbon fibre case. Looks like the liquid metal issue is fixed and the carbon fibre thing doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I haven’t had a pc since 2015 and I’m not much a fan of laptops, I’ve used my iPad Pro’s exclusively for ages now.

But this little pc seems nice. I’m going to vesa mount it on the back of my main tv and later down the line when times are fairly normal, add a egpu.

Mohonky

I cancelled my PS5 pre-order so that I could afford these two shirts. I felt gutted to do so. But I feel like these Iron Heart shirts are once in a lifetime and the PS5 can be gotten again with a little help from Wario64.
xHq7nNu.jpg

20211004-104546.jpg

20211004-104647.jpg

Both of the shirts were $700 together and they sold out almost instantly. I was lucky to even be able to get my size. I do not regret my decision.

Ok I have to ask, how the hell do two tops come to $700 and why would you spend that on two tops....

Ok I have to ask, how the hell do two tops come to $700 and why would you spend that on two tops....
designer labels/brands. they charge stupid amounts of money and rob people blind. people can do what they want with their money but i think it's damn stupid and irresponsible to spend that much on clothes. but hey i'm the kinda guy who gets supermarket clothes and likes to make them last.

edit: had a look at their website (never heard of them before...)

this t shirt cost £133 lmao

iht-1600-olv.jpg

and these shorts cost £211

ih-726-blk.jpg

and this hat cost £99

pn-0041.jpg

i have to say... for £443 that's a joke. i could get that look for like £30...but of course you're paying for brand (and hoping people know wtf it is)

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

designer labels/brands. they charge stupid amounts of money and rob people blind. people can do what they want with their money but i think it's damn stupid and irresponsible to spend that much on clothes. but hey i'm the kinda guy who gets supermarket clothes and likes to make them last.
Agreed, designer clothing is rubbish. If you really need it (and it's good for the planet) go for premium brands that charge 2x Zara or H&M but at least have premium materials that will not tear after a wash.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Check out Enemy. My fav film by him after Arrival.
Besides Dune, it's the only film of his I haven't seen since his 2009 piece Polytechnique. I wound buying just about every flick of his because I enjoy them all so much. Villeneuve is a master of his craft. I will watch anything he puts out.

Last edited:

Raven117

I cancelled my PS5 pre-order so that I could afford these two shirts. I felt gutted to do so. But I feel like these Iron Heart shirts are once in a lifetime and the PS5 can be gotten again with a little help from Wario64.
xHq7nNu.jpg

20211004-104546.jpg

20211004-104647.jpg

Both of the shirts were $700 together and they sold out almost instantly. I was lucky to even be able to get my size. I do not regret my decision.
Ha! You posted that the owner gave you that Iron Heart T-shirt, right?

I'm wearing some Iron Heart 666s 21 oz right now, but man...700 bucks is pretty pricey. There are other good brands of this style of clothing that aren't quite as pricey.

(But man...that denim work shirt is niiiiice).

catvonpee

What do some cars cost $500k and others $20k?

There's a lot of contributing factors to that price. The stuff isn't mass-produced and made by people in Japan the make an honest wage doing so.

Also it is completely nonsensical to compare this stuff to stuff that is cheap. It's not mass-produced or made in a sweatshop. I have shirts that I have been wearing from them since 2013.

They have two day shipping built into that price too.

But the reality is that this stuff is that expensive because it is so rare. There might only be like 100- 200 pieces of a particular shirt.

Basically it's expensive because they are the nicest jeans and clothes that money can buy. All the popular Japanese denim companies and brands charge this kind of money.

A bunch of fucking video games I don't have time to play (but my wife does so she gets what she wants).

I DID get a new scope for my rifle, though:

P-983ln2YQzXbRg4JfAt8fP92P9bdKsMZjjMQEBz1DC_HFND5oXKnJqkNAz4KKaxcudU_YiKCLsyFBcTOsSnDZEsexgbPLUovzE9Fvsa_a7XOaAv31FkNTwQpLqhPpIr_8s3IOuh_XFN_xS5-8rKQrgeLqfY6a_KixY_jHe0_Ze3pzUdIcDucoSEa7i8nePzCovvbYO67LCYkQlBXryGBt7N6vV7rtRnPfWdrigY9-aLNC90Fc0lAoDnz4DUt6m40edWcns2r92TIRO14dk83jeA41G5nmBQ5JypdcAg7dJIuwBIavpU8fEc0uBjhoB2oN7b5d5GFQwwvTx2UvQ6O53GHdDLqb2eWfdpX_XlPVlhbmOCAzbtxucMByiIFhxWTcGqjid1a8HYlMhllecRBrccZOkbcdxKsMR3i9s48NF0bX8p1jmmTo0-fNckNsqpNo8TbNG3Jaw91s316oTTyxJIlI3y8k4yJ8LVp509eU9S5hJ7IqVR_uk-8B5KIoC6av3aT3seofFOefkFgJzz0roUp2zPhedn278_m1IjgAHfCDvboV3-g4WnxtvNC3yWNuP6fM7um6fH1Unh2S-v8oVDjmx-1sDZhgsUmw40ayB3g8ZIq3SMTeRd98GmvQgOmARMUAczHewNiTnRlGobwjjivLTRNUw5HF7_Jg0WSwUPGWkfK8ggtxksrFOHFuiAH3_FZAnxsvFZIC-MN6ZrtSVz=w1920-h684-no

There's a lot of contributing factors to that price. The stuff isn't mass-produced and made by people in Japan the make an honest wage doing so.

Also it is completely nonsensical to compare this stuff to stuff that is cheap. It's not mass-produced or made in a sweatshop. I have shirts that I have been wearing from them since 2013.

But the reality is that this stuff is that expensive because it is so rare. There might only be like 100- 200 pieces of a particular shirt.

Basically it's expensive because they are the nicest jeans and clothes that money can buy. All the popular Japanese denim companies and brands charge this kind of money.

You're talking to a wall when it comes to "just as good".

In the gun world you have folks convinced a shitty Chinese weapon light / scope from Amazon is "just as gud" as even a decently priced Vortex or Leupold optic.

Last edited:

catvonpee

Agreed, designer clothing is rubbish. If you really need it (and it's good for the planet) go for premium brands that charge 2x Zara or H&M but at least have premium materials that will not tear after a wash.
I wouldn't exactly call Iron Heart designer. They are pretty much anti-fashion. All of their clothes are made on pre-ww2 looms and machines and styled to be similar to early mid-century clothes. Mostly everything they make has the Japanese motorcycle enthusiast in mind.

I just like their stuff because everything is made from high quality cotton and is very soft and extremely heavyweight. It built to last too. And they do free repairs.

Also you can automatically deduct at least $200 off the price of anything you buy from them off the backend. I've resold everything that doesn't fit me or I didn't want to wear anymore. I just sold two of their shirts last week for a combined total of $537. I got to enjoy both shirts for as long as I wanted and the buyers were ecstatic to receive them because of their rarity.

cTw1YD0.jpg

Last edited:

Raven117

A new Executive office chair with a weight compacity of 330lb's.

I'm a fat walking piece of protoplasm and I haven't shaved in 2 weeks.

Amazon.com: SONGMICS Thick Executive Office Chair with High Back Large Seat and Tilt Function, Black : Office Products

Durask

On a recent thread about Nespresso D Durask (Much Thanks!) mentioned about AeroPress. I've been using Moka Pot for quite some time, and now I prefer Aero Press after just few days of use.
So much easier to clean, and the coffee isn't as "harsh" as Moka Pot... although it seems to use a lot more bean than Moka Pot - but will see how much more coffee I go thru with this in a couple of weeks. Even so - the easy cleaning and quick prep, really seems like one of the best budget way to get good coffee.

Glad you like it, it really is the best cheap way of making high quality coffee.

catvonpee

I got pair 172 of 200 of Pronto x Iron Heart 16.5 oz lighter weight slubby denim. This denim is a different animal for Iron Heart. It's not as heavy as most of their offerings, and not super duper soft and smooth. Also the denim has a brown selvedge ID and was hand numbered by 'the Boss' Shinichi Haraki-san.

20211019-195333.jpg

Indigo-dyed hickory denim pocket bags
20211019-195414.jpg

Haraki-san signing the jeans
Screenshot-20211019-233341-Instagram.jpg

Also I got a new pair of blue suede shoes. I have been waiting since July for them. They couldn't possibly be any more beautiful.

Rikku-X

edit: had a look at their website (never heard of them before...)

this t shirt cost £133 lmao

iht-1600-olv.jpg

and these shorts cost £211

ih-726-blk.jpg

and this hat cost £99

pn-0041.jpg

i have to say... for £443 that's a joke. i could get that look for like £30...but of course you're paying for brand (and hoping people know wtf it is)
£443 to look like Karl Pilkington, bargain.

So, I didn't buy these, my wife bought them for me as a gift. My question is, would you be happy with the quality of the second image? The first one looks great, the second one looks ok if you're not close to it, but a few feet away severe compression artifacts are noticeable. I feel like both should be the same quality right?

Xe1vfiz.jpg

L70sSsq.jpg
pLZ4CDk.jpg
WvkKTuQ.jpg
uOSt4Jw.jpg

FyXBW2e.jpg

Tams

Sorry, but that doesn't come out to 350 per shirt.

Some of the price is due to the materials, quality of work and decent wages, but at that price they are making a very tidy profit. You are absolutely paying for the brand.

Next to no one cares what brand it is either, especially one like that where few even know it.

Frankly, no single shirt is worth that much unless it is bespoke by a well regarded tailor.

Last edited:

Raven117

Some of the price is due to the materials, quality of work and decent wages, but at that price they are making a very tidy profit. You are absolutely paying for the brand.

Next to no one cares what brand it is either, especially one like that where few even know it.

Frankly, no single shirt is worth that much unless it is bespoke by a well regarded tailor.
I know it, and I’m impressed! Have a pair of their 21 oz denim jeans and have had dudes come up and actually compliment my jeans.

Is there some truth to hand-tailoring? Yeah, maybe. But even the stuff that is all hand made, not only is more sturdy, but moves with you in ways cheap clothes don’t.

Perhaps more importantly than all of that, wearing clothes you like, makes you feel awesome. And while it’s a lot of money, if you have the money, like it, why not?

Edit:to continue the thread. Rocket Spanish. Level 2 and 3

Last edited:

IDKFA

£135 for a book.

Not just any book, but the Folio Society edition of A Feast for Crows in their ASOIAF range. I have the other three, so need to buy this and Dance when that gets released. Like anything from the FS, the quality is just mind blowing. Sound investment.

gt4_book.png

a_feast_for_crows_gallery_3.jpg

a_feast_for_crows_gallery_6.jpg

JCK75

The last major purchases I made recently were a Yamaha Acoustic Guitar (that is sitting off the shore somewhere held up by this supply chain nightmare) and Amazon had a prime members deal on an Anycubic Photon Mono SE SLA printer so I jumped on that along with some resin and rearranged my studio a bit to make room for it (best ventilated room in the house where we don't spend a lot of time)... Learning the basics and soon will be printing some better stuff.
yTLsVfb.jpg

some douche nozzle scratched/scuffed my car door so i bought this

iu

i doubt it will do any good but i can't afford to claim under my insurance nevermind pay outright for someone to fix it. if this doesn't do anything then it'll need to stay the way it is.

Last edited:
some douche nozzle scratched/scuffed my car door so i bought this

iu

i doubt it will do any good but i can't afford to claim under my insurance nevermind pay outright for someone to fix it. if this doesn't do anything then it'll need to stay the way it is.

General question. If someone has a luxury car, and you decide to park at the farther end of the parking lot to keep away from other vehicles and "accidental dings" does that make the car a target? I suppose it depends on people either being careless or assholes.

Last edited:
Got some clothes and boots for the Fall and Winter. Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc.. Yep, decided I'm going to stay warm and dry as possible this year.

I'm cheap and shit costs too much in places like Khole's and Belks. I bought clothes from those places 5 years ago expecting them to last a long time and they didn't and not only that I got fatter and I'm also in the middle of losing weight. So, I said the hell with it I'll just go to Walmart, Target, and find whatever I can cheap on Amazon. The only things I have left from Belks and Khole's are two hoodies, socks, and a winter hat.

I went to Foot Locker last year and I ordered a pair of shoes to wear every day and to replace my old shoes which were falling apart. Idk what the fuck people were doing in that Foot Locker but it was corny af. Felt like I was on the set of a movie. A few days later I called the store about my order and asked the clerk "Were you guys doing something for rappers?" and he responded with "You mean a musician?! We do this to keep the energy of store". I was like okay... weird shit but isn't the DJ more of a musician than the rapper? I wouldn't call a singer or a rapper a musician unless he/she uses instruments to create music. It was the first time I saw shit like that in a Foot Locker or any other shoe store. I decided that's the last time I'm going to Foot Locker. Also, all Footlocker sells are stupid shitty designer boots or whatever the fuck they are. I never seen shit like that before in my life.

Hopefully I get a few years out of this stuff. If they last more than 3 years than I'll be satisfied.

Snow:

rc8Q7wo.png

The coldest and snowy days:

UZopMyl.jpg

Everyday throughout fall and Winter:

cOIaDGD.png

That's not all of it but I think I got enough to keep me from smelling funky by the end the week. I have 4 hoodies and I might need more sweat pants. Glad I still have my thermals.

Last edited:

catvonpee

"I don't like something so it is frivolous and stupid".

Truth be told I was posting about this stuff in here to see if I should do a Japanese denim OT, something I absolutely love and adore. But I am not going to waste my time. You guys have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This stuff is absolutely the very best clothing money can buy.

I'm wearing close to $5000 worth of leather and denim right now. And I wouldn't want to be wearing anything else.

Truth be told I was posting about this stuff in here to see if I should do a Japanese denim OT, something I absolutely love and adore. But I am not going to waste my time. You guys have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This stuff is absolutely the very best clothing money can buy.

I'm wearing close to $5000 worth of leather and denim right now. And I wouldn't want to be wearing anything else.

How does cotton and animal skin cost that much anyway?

Last edited:

Quasicat

Kids got me into Miitopia. Never really had interest in it, but I saw that both of them logged in about 30 hours a piece and wanted to look into it. I’m now a few hours in and dropped $50 on my own copy. Fun thing is, I play it in docked mode and the kids sit there with me and we do it together.

Tams

I never said it was frivolous and stupid. It's rude to put words in other people's mouths.

You can buy stuff because of the brand (no matter how niche) and if makes you happy, great. It's your money.

But you are buying it largely for the brand.

Top Bottom