• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your opinion of the Ignore User feature here?

Do you use the ignore user feature at Gaf?

• Total voters

Nymphae

Banned
I'm curious how many people use this here. I've seen posters comment about the feature positively because it allows them to remove opinions from the forum they find annoying or whatnot. I feel this is antithetical to the very idea of a discussion forum. I strongly disagree with certain users here, however I would never think to hide their content for any reason. If users are harassing people, they can be dealt with, but preemptively hiding comments from people you don't like seems a little, I dunno, Resetera-ish to me.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
my opinion is that you should assume good faith from every user regardless of past slights and infractions.

never ignore.

How can you have a conversation if you pick what you want to hear? The other board is ok doing that but personally I think that’s a bad thing to do. Unless the person is spamming or something but then the mods take care of them globally so not really a big deal.

I’ve never used it. I believe everyone should be heard on a topic unless it’s against the forum rules. And if it’s against the rules, GafStaff will handle that.

I'm curious how many people use this here. I've seen posters comment about the feature positively because it allows them to remove opinions from the forum they find annoying or whatnot. I feel this is antithetical to the very idea of a discussion forum. I strongly disagree with certain users here, however I would never think to hide their content for any reason. If users are harassing people, they can be dealt with, but preemptively hiding comments from people you don't like seems a little, I dunno, Resetera-ish to me.

Funnily enough I was thinking about exactly this the other week. I agree 100%.

As a point of principle, I never use an ignore function.

It's very easy to not let something on the internet have any impact on you - just move along.
And if you feel like you must ignore someone then.. ..just ignore them.

I think very little of the narcissistic "Welcome to my ignore list" announcement from people.
I've even seen person A put person B on ignore, and then still complain that person B is replying to them and shouldn't be. Even echo chambers needs windows, y'know.

Papa

Banned
Funnily enough I was thinking about exactly this the other week. I agree 100%.

I think it's actually a really good point that I never thought about in depth until OP raised it. The ignore feature contributes to the development of an echo chamber and the mods generally do a good job of curbing genuine harassment.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I think at this point in time, with all considerations (from this forum's current state of affairs to any worldwide news-related issues) it would be nothing but a hindrance for both members and staff. Not only is it increasingly essential we acknowledge each other's thoughts and opinions with all differences accounted for, we must also realize that the outside parties (anything taken from the web to be discussed here) will not work in our favor.

Anyway, I have not seen any negative representations of such behavior recently, so I do not imagine many people are utilizing this feature. The maturity level has clearly taken a shoot across the board, I believe.

Last edited:

Joe T.

I've never ignored anyone on a message forum and don't see that ever changing. Even in video games I've rarely used it, reserving it for people selling currency by spamming in game chat channels, knowing that it's extremely unlikely they'll ever contribute anything else.

I have a built-in ignore feature if I don't want to pay attention to someone or something. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I've never used it, or been tempted. I like hearing all voices. I've never understood the concept of silencing those who aren't in agreement with you. We've all got our own views, and yeah, some might annoy from time to time, but so what. You say what you want, and I'll say what I want - agree, disagree, whatever.

xrnzaaas

I used the ignore feature on era, don't really plan on doing it here unless someone starts making multiple threads I'll find super annoying. ;)

Iaterain

I'm not using it, but probably should, because there is a person who is stalking my comments. He just interferes a random topic with my respond and starting a flame over Filip Miucin whom I was trying to defend from cyber bullying.

The last time he started a flame over Filip Miucin a few days ago in a "Riot scandal" topic. I just ignored him.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I wouldn't have pegged you as an ignorer lol
gVEK3LFYbI4x.gif

Last edited:

Corderlain

Banned
Didn't know there was on. If you can't handle an opposing view point or opinion then you probably shouldn't be on the internet. Anyone that well and truly deserves to be ignored should be banned.

Last edited:
I would ignore a flaming racist, but they usually get banned anyway. If I wanna ignore someone I just don't respond to them.

I think its use case is particular cases, like if you're getting stalked but the mods don't consider it enough to ban the felon quite yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I ignore all users with Red usernames since i find those offensive to my own.

Other than that, i don't use the ignore feature. Never see the need or the point to ignore a user when i can already do that without it.

MC Safety

Famously awful moderator here once claimed ignoring someone was a sign of weakness.

Meanwhile there's a lot of noise and very little signal. So the ignore function is a valuable tool.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I prefer not to use it on any of the forums I use, but I do have 3 people on ignore here. But those were well deserved in my opinion. Some things just don't need to be seen on a regular basis. A person can only have so much patience.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
So if I would, but I haven't... is that a yes or a no?

The poll question is "Do you use...", so it's a no. The thread title asks for your opinion on the feature, so you could have voted no but explained why you support it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If this forum is a public square -- and we can each sit down and have our conversations at different topics littered around the square -- there's no obligation to listen to the people seething and spitting invectives who happened to stumble on your table. Hitting 'Ignore' isn't meant to close yourself off from opinions (though that's a risk, of course). It's to tune out noise that contains no actual opinion.

Makariel

I have put one person on my ignore list. Can't remember why but I figure past me had a reason. But now that politics is its own thing I don't think I'll need it in future. Before OT was just difficult to navigate without running in the trump topic de jour. And these topics just bring out the best in people :p

Nymphae

Banned
If this forum is a public square -- and we can each sit down and have our conversations at different topics littered around the square -- there's no obligation to listen to the people seething and spitting invectives who happened to stumble on your table. Hitting 'Ignore' isn't meant to close yourself off from opinions (though that's a risk, of course). It's to tune out noise that contains no actual opinion.

I understand where you're coming from, I'm not saying you are obligated to hear each person's opinion, obviously.

But not listening to them is done pretty easily here, by simply scrolling past their content, not engaging with them. It's the preemptive silencing of any future opinions that irks me. Even the posters I consider the most annoying here occasionally post something that makes me think, and as crazy as it sounds, I like to think that maybe over time people can learn, grow, change their minds on some things. But we won't know that if we've banned them.

brap

Banned
I'm sorry but I think lesser of people that use it. The mods do a pretty good job of weeding out the bad people so I don't really see the point. If you want to ignore people who make stupid annoying posts just scroll past. Sometimes they actually do have insightful things to say once in a while.

iconmaster

Banned
"Listen to everyone's opinions, regardless of your prior experience" is a nice ideal, but the reality is somewhat murkier.

I don't ignore often, but it's a welcome feature.

Top Bottom