• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What other 80s action classic Robocop devs should make into a video game?

Drizzlehell

Their first game was Rambo. It was pretty broken and I guess not everyone appreciated that it was an on-rails shooter but I remember playing through it with a friend in local co-op and there were moments where I thought I'm gonna shit myself laughing, lol. As far as making me feel like I'm playing a ridiculous, over-the-top 80s action flick like Rambo, I guess it accomplished exactly what it set out to do.

Next, they made Terminator: Resistance along with the Annihilation Line expansion, which I thought was a rather delightful low-budget shooter. Definitely one of, if not THE best Terminator game I played. Even though its low-budget nature was very apparent, it was surprisingly successful at recreating the atmosphere of those post-apocalyptic sequences from T1 and T2, which is something that even the follow-up movie sequels never managed to nail down. It was also very fun to play, it had a few genuinely nail-biting sneaking sequences which echoed the climax of the original Terminator movie, it had a fantastic soundtrack, and despite the uncanny valley nature of character models, I actually found the story and writing to be quite engaging. Overall, good effort!

Now we're only a few months away from Robocop, and after seeing the trailer I'm kinda psyched. It looks like they may give this 80s classic the same kind of treatment that they gave to The Terminator.

So with that kind of portfolio, it seems like this developer tries to go for a specific niche and I'm hoping that they will keep finding success in it and that they will start getting bigger budgets. Because I, and I'm guessing many other GAFers as well, am a sucker for 80s action cinema and I'd love to see more of those franchises getting a video game adaptation made with such passion for the source material.

Therefore, the obvious question is: what do you think they should try and adapt next?

Last edited:

The Fartist

kurt russell call me snake GIF

Animation Sketch GIF by Mathew Lucas

Because fuck it.

Some great suggestions in this thread but I NEED a 1980's Red Dawn game.

Make it co-op and similar to the game Generation Zero but give me the option to either play as my own created character or some beautifully rendered versions of Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Christopher Thomas Howell, Jennifer Grey, Lea Thompson, Darrel Dalton or Brad Savage.

You have to set up and keep a remote outpost going in the mountains of Colorado. You scavenge for food, ammo, new weaponry and gear.

Launch raids on Russian, Cuban and Venezuelan camps, ambush convoys, etc.

And of course, manually spray paint "Wolverines!" where ever you go!

Last edited:

Stuart360

Always wanted a Sly voiced Rambo FPS game.
Make it so Rambo has a lot of health, and the difficulty comes from the game just throwing waves of enemies at the player. Explosions everywhere, the Rambo theme playing in the background, etc.

Kind of surprised no one has done it before to be honest.

Wildebeest

From the period, Cobra and Death Wish were classic 8-bit conversions from the big screen with ultraviolence.

Equilibrium is a gun film with a high body count that has been an inspiration for games but never got its own.

They Live. Gun & Melee combat, detective type side missions using the glasses etc.

Terminator: Yes I know we had Resistance lately but I was thinking more of a third person multiplayer game in the same ball park as Warhawk on PS3 that would have similar flight and vehicle combat, large maps that I think would suit the IP along with Brad Fiedels score, and a tone/atmosphere a mixture of T1 & T2.

Masters of the Universe: 2D Beat em up with original art style or Revelations, I could see the Streets of Rage 4 devs pulling this off.

Blade Runner: Third person. RPG elements, decision & dialogue choices , dealing with replicants etc.

Last edited:

poppabk

Assault on Precinct 13. 70s but whatever.
But yeah Red Dawn would be great. Part survival crafting game, part FPS. Press 'F' to shout "Wolverines!"

Top Bottom