• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

your better off buying an olympic weight set and bench, learning about lifting weights, and create a workout program. P90x is effective, but plateaus only happen when people fail to understand the physics of lifting weights. You have to READ about how your body works, and develop exercises to compliment what your trying to do.

it's all BS to get your money. it's a solid workout, but ANY beginner who does a solid program and EATS RIGHT will see majorly effective gains IF they PUSH themselves.

if you just did pushups, pullups, climbed rope, and did squats until you couldn't feel your legs anymore for 3 months and ate right you'd get similar results.

lets not forget about GENETICS.

OmniGamer

Futureman said:
Why not just play some baseball with friends, go shoot some hopes, go for a jog, eat healthy?

Why are people such psychos over this stuff? Don't mean to offend, just confuses me the extremes people take.

Why does it matter the method someone choses? Why is it an either/or thing? No one here is saying P90X is the best way to get in shape...it simple is a way. Furthermore it's a pretty varied program. I've never done Yoga before, i've never done Plyometrics before, or martial arts cardio...now I have. For some people, they may use some of the workouts here as a springboard to other types of workouts.

Some people have different preferences, or restrictions...for me, due to my social anxiety, i'm definitely not a "shoot some hoops, play some baseball" type. Or the gym type for that matter...I workout at home. I've done weights and cardio on my own before, lost 80lbs, etc...but at this point, i needed a change, both physically and mentally.

I don't get the thinly veiled venom for something like this...it's like a jogger looking down on a cyclist or vice versa...there's more than one way to improve one's fitness.

Ace 8095

Futureman said:
Why not just play some baseball with friends, go shoot some hopes, go for a jog, eat healthy?

Why are people such psychos over this stuff? Don't mean to offend, just confuses me the extremes people take.
Training heavy with the compound lifts produces hormones. These hormones allow me to maintain an erection for a very long period of time. It's something you must experience firsthand.

mr stroke

if you have zero motivation then I guess P90X could work for you(but then again would you follow through the full 90 days??)

If it was me I would forget about spending all the money. Do some research online about diet and what you should be eating, then spend some time on Youtube watching HIIT routines and go to the park an hour a day running sprints/HIIT. Should give you similar results with no out of pocket expense.

Replicant

quinntendopower said:
your better off buying an olympic weight set and bench, learning about lifting weights, and create a workout program. P90x is effective, but plateaus only happen when people fail to understand the physics of lifting weights. You have to READ about how your body works, and develop exercises to compliment what your trying to do.

it's all BS to get your money. it's a solid workout, but ANY beginner who does a solid program and EATS RIGHT will see majorly effective gains IF they PUSH themselves.

The problem is most people do not know how to push themselves to get the best result. Nor do they have the knowledge on how to create an effective workout program. Nor have the time to read all the different books (as opposed to just one simple manual) about how your body work before exercising. The program basically handhold you throughout, makes it simpler for most people.

I don't understand why the need to look down on people who do this kind of program. People achieved things differently. Just because they do not follow the conventional means it doesn't mean their attempt is not good. Sure, it's not as hardcore as doing deadlift, bench press, etc but most people are not concerned with being hardcore. They just want good result. And it's not like the program will magically transform them. They still need to work hard except that at least they now have a guidance as to where to go.

OmniGamer said:
I don't get the thinly veiled venom for something like this...it's like a jogger looking down on a cyclist or vice versa...there's more than one way to improve one's fitness.

Tell me about it. This is why I don't venture to that fitness thread much because there's such an arrogant air to most of the comments there. It's like if you're not doing it their way, then you're wrong and shouldn't even be there. Some people couldn't even ask simple question without being treated like a red-headed stepchild.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Mr. Snrub said:
The problem with programs like P90/P90X and even Crossfit is that while people say they are "functional", they don't know how to define functional. A curl is functional if it lets you carry more wood from the wood pile to the stove inside. The word "functional" needs to die.

P90X and workouts like it are GREAT at what they are intended for: getting "in shape". Which, for 99% of the population, is losing fat and gaining some muscle. For most of the population, a ripped 160 lb'er is the pinnacle of being in shape, and this is fine. People will get stronger on P90/P90X, because of progression and adaptation to the movements, and because most people who try it are beginners, and beginners adapt to everything.

P90X is not going to increase your squat, increase your vertical, increase your 400m time, etc., better than specialized training will. And that's fine. P90X is good at what it does and that's all that matters to most people.

I like the way Snrub thinks.

But seriously, I may use that against my friend. He calls me an "idiot" for lifting weights and actually running and not doing the P90X because he got the same results as me in 1/3rd the time.

Chichikov

Replicant said:
I don't understand why the need to look down on people who do this kind of program. People achieved things differently. Just because they do not follow the conventional means it doesn't mean their attempt is not good. Sure, it's not as hardcore as doing deadlift, bench press, etc but most people are not concerned with being hardcore. They just want good result. And it's not like the program will magically transform them. They still need to work hard except that at least they now have a guidance as to where to go.

Tell me about it. This is why I don't venture to that fitness thread much because there's such an arrogant air to most of the comments there. It's like if you're not doing it their way, then you're wrong and shouldn't even be there. Some people couldn't even ask simple question without being treated like a red-headed stepchild.
There are cheaper and more effective alternatives to this program, calling that out is not looking down on anything.
For example, I personally believe that a program that does not include deadlifts is severely lacking, and I’m sorry, if someone asks for my advice I’m going to say just that.
Now I’m not saying that I’m right about everything, far from it actually, but why not try to engage in conversation about the pros and cons of your program instead of crying foul about elitism and such?

And by the way, there are plenty of people with plenty of different routines in the fitness thread, the only people who ever got bad treatment (that I’ve seen) are the bullshiters.

Replicant

Chichikov said:
There are cheaper and more effective alternatives to this program, calling that out is not looking down on anything.

In that case then suggest these alternatives program. One that doesn't involve these people having to create their own or have to follow complex instructions where half of the time people can't even figure out what some of terms used actually meant.

but why not try to engage in conversation about the pros and cons of your program instead of crying foul about elitism and such?

Because you're engaging in elitism now? You expect people to like it when they're being talked down to?

And by the way, there are plenty of people with plenty of different routines in the fitness thread, the only people who ever got bad treatment (that I’ve seen) are the bullshiters.

I've seen newcomers get bashed because they do not know where to start or just because they mentioned that they have a different training regime. Or just simply having different opinion like some of us here now.

im on my second recovery week and im more ripped then iv been in 2 years and i know im stronger cause iv never been able to do one armed push ups and now i can. i got really
out of shape last year : /

i fuckin hate this guy
TonyHorton10.jpg

it is expensive as hell but luckily i got mine for free :D (was a gift)

Replicant said:
In that case then suggest these alternatives program. One that doesn't involve these people having to create their own or have to follow complex instructions where half of the time people can't even figure out what some of terms used actually meant.

We do. In fact, we have an entire FAQ built into the OP of the thread, with links to invaluable resources. There is no handholding, but plenty of information for you to do the programs on your own. A lot of the programs' creators even have message boards where you can personally ask them questions.

I've seen newcomers get bashed because they do not know where to start or just because they mentioned that they have a different training regime. Or just simply having different opinion like some of us here now.

A lot of the newcomers' programs are, frankly, crap, and most never even read the OP. That's why they're newcomers. Half the people in the fitness thread were newcomers and have been making excellent gains. There are people who are even using P90X, I believe. I am inclined to agree with Chichikov in that, like most aspects of any other endeavor, if you do some research and learn to work on your own, you create something better and much cheaper. But like I said, for some people, P90X is great. I tend to discourage handholding in general. Oh well!

Chichikov

Replicant said:
No one in this thread asked for a program, people asked about the pd90x, and I’ve answered. In the fitness thread, I’ve tried my best to answer any fitness related question I could.
And FYI, go to the fitness thread, I’ve never recommended anything that is not extremely simple, search my post history, I’m a strong supporter of keeping it as simple as you can.

Replicant said:
Because you're engaging in elitism now? You expect people to like it when they're being talked down to?
Seriously, what the hell? How am I talking down to anyone? I think you are absolutely wrong about this issue, can’t I fucking say it without being an elitist?
Again, you can talk about me and my posting etiquette if you want, but don’t you think it’s just a tad more productive to talk about the actual program, its benefits and shortcomings?

Replicant said:
I’ve never seen it, but I could have missed it, I didn’t read every single post there.
Sure, people called certain routines “crap”, but what do you want? Most of the people in gyms are doing terrible terrible things, you don’t want people to give the best advice they can?
And honestly, it’s one of the more civilized threads in GAF, I think you might be a little bit too sensitive.

Jokes N Riddles

Neo Member
For my 2 cents,

This is a fantastic program. I've worked out for years and tried many different programs and products, I own a lot of equipment and my garage is basically a gym. I can tell you that P90x is one of the finest workouts I have ever had.

I will take you to school and make something out of you. But the results are fantastic.

In regards to other alternatives, check out www.freetrainers.com

It's not the best, and you need to have a few options available when working out, but it is a wonderful service, which you can alter based on your own goals and to top it off, free.

Replicant

Mr. Snrub said:
We do. In fact, we have an entire FAQ built into the OP of the thread, with links to invaluable resources. There is no handholding, but plenty of information for you to do the programs on your own. A lot of the programs' creators even have message boards where you can personally ask them questions.

Yes, I know. I've read the FAQ and some of it are hard to understand. There are some terms used within that I have to look up on google and even after that, it's still hard to figure out some of the instruction. You may think it's easy to understand because you've done it so often but newcomers don't have that knowledge. Also, some people are visual-based, as in they deal with information faster with visuals as opposed to text. So not everyone will have easy time reading the FAQ. This is why program like P90X appeals to some people.

Chichikov said:
No one in this thread asked for a program, people asked about the pd90x, and I’ve answered. In the fitness thread, I’ve tried my best to answer any fitness related question I could.

When you criticize something, then at least suggest something which you think might be better. Otherwise your criticism will be useless to anyone. You said it yourself.

Seriously, what the hell? How am I talking down to anyone? I think you are absolutely wrong about this issue, can’t I fucking say it without being an elitist?

You just said that any fitness without deadlifts is severely lacking. That's a good example. You think that those who don't do your method is wrong. You don't even bother to explain your statement. For example, if deadlift is required to strengthen one's leg, how is this important to a regular jogger whose legs are naturally strong due to said activity? Plus, they don't have to deal with possible back injury from deadlifts. I mostly train alone and I don't trust myself to keep my back in perfect position not to injure it while doing deadlifts. If it's for the back side, there are other alternatives for it.

Again, you can talk about me and my posting etiquette if you want, but don’t you think it’s just a tad more productive to talk about the actual program, its benefits and shortcomings?

See above.

I’ve never seen it, but I could have missed it, I didn’t read every single post there.
Sure, people called certain routines “crap”, but what do you want? Most of the people in gyms are doing terrible terrible things, you don’t want people to give the best advice they can?
And honestly, it’s one of the more civilized threads in GAF, I think you might be a little bit too sensitive.

People can be civilized and be arrogant at the same time. Tone down the arrogance and maybe more people will be willing to listen to what you have to say.

mercboyz

Just throwing my 2 cents in, but I've been doing the P90X off and on for the last year. The most I have been able to complete is 60 days or so and stop for some reason. Definitely noticed a change in my appearance. Probably would have had lost more weight if I kept to the diet more.

If you get on the program with your friends or family, it makes it easier to stay on it. That little aspect of competition and having someone there helps in my situation.

The teambeachbody forums have a ton of P90X "grads", showing the changes better than the infomercial does. People like James Evanski and the rest of the success stories. The before and after pics really help motivate and inspire me to get back on the X.

quadriplegicjon said:
any of you guys have before and after pics?
I have some day 0 and day 30 pics but I ain't showin em! There is a difference but I never got around to doing the 60 day picture (and as I stated I had to stop after 60 days) which would have been a MUCH better picture to show so just day 0 and 30 wouldn't be worth posting.

When I start again in a few weeks I may consider taking pics and eventually posting them but I have to look cut as hell at the end to be willing to, :lol

quadriplegicjon said:
which resistance bands did you use?
I got mine at TJ Maxx, there's blue, green, and red, can't remember which is harder than the other but I do think it's worth getting some with different resistance levels. These were more for my wife as i pretty much exclusively used weights and the pull-up bar.

Kronotech

My friend completed the 90 days and got pretty ripped. I was seeing results on him within 2 weeks of starting it.

I finished 30 days and didn't see as good results but I'm sure it's going to work different for everyone.

mercboyz

I bought the set on the beach body website with 10 bands since 3 people were gonna use the bands. Depending your situation, you might just wanna get the smaller sets.

band_soft_completekit.jpg

I usually used the heavier ones, my bro used the medium ones and my sister used the lighter ones. So it worked out. Only thing is that you only get 3 pairs of handles, so we have to switch out the handles after each work out. Kind of a pain to do. Probably order some more handles in the next week or so.

I got the door attachment off of amazon for like 5 bucks.

Chichikov

Replicant said:
When you criticize something, then at least suggest something which you think might be better. Otherwise your criticism will be useless to anyone. You said it yourself.
Wait what?
You can’t criticize anything without noting something better?
That’s a rather unusual approach to criticism.
The guy asked fon an opinion about a program, and I gave it to him.

By that logic I cannot say that The Dark Knight is an overrated self-important fan service without mentioning that Moon is a fantastic movie that everyone should watch.
Once again, what the hell?

Replicant said:
You just said that any fitness without deadlifts is severely lacking. That's a good example. You think that those who don't do your method is wrong. You don't even bother to explain your statement. For example, if deadlift is required to strengthen one's leg, how is this important to a regular jogger whose legs are naturally strong due to said activity? Plus, they don't have to deal with possible back injury from deadlifts. I mostly train alone and I don't trust myself to keep my back in perfect position not to injure it while doing deadlifts. If it's for the back side, there are other alternatives for it.
I gave deadlift as an example, in the other thread I went into great detail as to why I think it’s an almost irreplaceable exercise that everyone should fit in their routines.
I could be wrong, but that’s my honest to god opinion, based on my personal studies and experience.
What would you have me say?
And since you raised a couple of (what I think are) misconceptions about the deadlift, I feel obliged to answer them –
  • I’m a runner, I run marathons, and yet I swear by the big lifts, deadlift included.
  • Properly executed deadlift can significantly reduce the risk of back injury, and the risk of seriously injuring your back on a good deadlift is lower than when playing basketball (for example).
    So yeah, you run the chance of injury when working your lower back, but not working it pretty much guarantee it.
Replicant said:
People can be civilized and be arrogant at the same time. Tone down the arrogance and maybe more people will be willing to listen to what you have to say.
To be completely honest, I don’t think I am, but whatever manm you may be right, as the Bedouin say – The Camel cannot see his own hump. So I’m an arrogant person, I concede the point, now would you get on the subject of this program?
I think it’s going to be much more useful than re-analyzing my shitty personality.

Jugendstil said:
He's pretty damn annoying, but somehow my dislike forces me to push through the workouts.
:lol same here. im like "Fuck you Tony you prick.....your not even doin all of the reps and sets like all of us!"

yacobod

Banned
the problem with gaf imo, is that a lot of the ppl in the camp that you have to bench/deadlift/squat are also ppl who's gym number totals are pretty weak

(not everyone obviously, cuz i know there are a few that post who are pretty strong), but some of the loudest pundits in the other fitness threads have some pretty weak lifts or totals

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
:lol same here. im like "Fuck you Tony you prick.....your not even doin all of the reps and sets like all of us!"

Seriously. I haven't done P90X yet, but in P90 he is kinda creepy towards the girl and guy working out with him too. Total molester, I know he wants to "feel" their muscles.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Futureman said:

they got movie and music gaf beat in my book.

johnyqd

Me and my wife completed a 90 day cycle the beginning of this year - stick with it, follow the diet, and it works.

Too bad I didn't do anything after finishing, I'm back to square 1 now (it's been about 6 months).

Replicant

Chichikov said:
Wait what?
You can’t criticize anything without noting something better?

If the point of the criticism is for the benefit of someone else then why would you do it halfway?

By that logic I cannot say that The Dark Knight is an overrated self-important fan service without mentioning that Moon is a fantastic movie that everyone should watch.
Once again, what the hell?

No, when you say that the Dark Knight is whatever you said it is, you probably want to point out why you feel that way. Otherwise....well, let's just say the Dark Knight defense force will come down on you and accuse you for being a troll.

I gave deadlift as an example, in the other thread I went into great detail as to why I think it’s an almost irreplaceable exercise that everyone should fit in their routines.
I could be wrong, but that’s my honest to god opinion, based on my personal studies and experience.
What would you have me say?

First of all, you do realize that not everyone is going to search your post history, right? Second, everyone's body react differently to different training program. What's good for you may not be good for other people. You're saying that those who don't deadlifts are not doing good work in their exercise just come off condascending, to say the least.

And since you raised a couple of (what I think are) misconceptions about the deadlift, I feel obliged to answer them –
  • I’m a runner, I run marathons, and yet I swear by the big lifts, deadlift included.
  • Properly executed deadlift can significantly reduce the risk of back injury, and the risk of seriously injuring your back on a good deadlift is lower than when playing basketball (for example).
    So yeah, you run the chance of injury when working your lower back, but not working it pretty much guarantee it.

And like I said, properly executed deadlift is difficult without someone's supervision. I've seen people hunching their back while doing it even though they shouldn't. And working your lower back is obviously important but deadlift is not the only way to do it (you make iet sound like it is). That's the thing that I wanted to point out.

To be completely honest, I don’t think I am, but whatever manm you may be right, as the Bedouin say – The Camel cannot see his own hump. So I’m an arrogant person, I concede the point, now would you get on the subject of this program?
I think it’s going to be much more useful than re-analyzing my shitty personality.

I am only saying it because your attitude can genuinely turn off some people who try seeking advice from that fitness thread. If your goal in that thread is to help people, then sincerely help them. Don't act like they're a piece of crap just because they have done the wrong training program.

-viper-

Banned
Who is P90X actually aimed for? The results seem to be extremely impressive, but it seems like everyone who does it is previously overweight :\

I'm 5'8ish and weigh 150lbs. Can I use the program to build some muscle or not? I've started working out recently, but wouldn't mind doing this if it gets me quicker results.

Replicant

-viper- said:
I'm 5'8ish and weigh 150lbs. Can I use the program to build some muscle or not? I've started working out recently, but wouldn't mind doing this if it gets me quicker results.

If you look at some of the videos on YouTube, you'd actually see that some of the people who used it were already in shape (maybe their tummy is not as flat but in general, they have some muscle definition or some sorts). Once they've done the program, they look ripped and have six packs. The program is hard though. If you've just started working out, you may want to continue doing what you're already doing to get in good shape then use the program to improve your definition later on.

Ace 8095

Replicant said:
If you look at some of the videos on YouTube, you'd actually see that some of the people who used it were already in shape (maybe their tummy is not as flat but in general, they have some muscle definition or some sorts). Once they've done the program, they look ripped and have six packs. The program is hard though. If you just starting working out, you may want to continue doing what you're already doing to get in good shape then use the program to improve your definition later on.
But are they ripped like Brad Pitt in Fight Club? That is the true test of any great fitness program.

Replicant

Ace 8095 said:
But are they ripped like Brad Pitt in Fight Club? That is the true test of any great fitness program.

Brad Pitt is sooo 1990s. These days all the cool kids want their body to look like Jason Statham. :D

JavaMava

so say you go through this, and at the end of the 90 days you were happy with the results and wanted to maintain it. Would you have to give the same 1+ hours a day every day to keep it, or could you cut a bit to keep what you have?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
SnakeSlashRO said:
p90x, solo, trainer, whatever... It all comes down to making a daily commitment... For me it was seeing a live traininer who could make fun of me if I missed days.... XD a video cant do that. :lol Remeber Cardio twice a day 45mins, and Weights 3-4 times a week will get ANYONE in shape (If you have never trained before and you are young)

I agree with this. It boils down to lifestyle. If you commit yourself to a regular excercise routine along with a rational diet you are going to get results.

nib95

Banned
I wanna try this. But I haven't worked out in ages and am well out of shape. What is this regular P90 people speak of? And can these be bought in the UK?

I was under the impression it was better to skip a day of exercise to allow the muscles to recover, is this not the case? Does this programme instead focus on different muscle groups each day?

Opus Angelorum said:
I was under the impression it was better to skip a day of exercise to allow the muscles to recover, is this not the case? Does this programme instead focus on different muscle groups each day?
that, and there's days when you are doing yoga, or x-stretch, or a cardio that doesn't really work any muscles (if i remember right, kenpo x doesn't really do any muscle work). Really only 3 of the days are true muscle work days, 3 are cardio or yoga, and one is rest or stretch.

negreenfield said:
that, and there's days when you are doing yoga, or x-stretch, or a cardio that doesn't really work any muscles (if i remember right, kenpo x doesn't really do any muscle work). Really only 3 of the days are true muscle work days, 3 are cardio or yoga, and one is rest or stretch.

Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

Wizman23

Banned
P90X is fantastic. If you follow it correctly and stick to the program you will see amazing results after 90 days. Not at all recommended for people that have not worked out in awhile.

Tony is a total bag though. Luckily after watching the videos one time you can just use the worksheets and ignore the dvds.

big_z

-viper- said:
Who is P90X actually aimed for? The results seem to be extremely impressive, but it seems like everyone who does it is previously overweight :\

it seems like the program is aimed at fat people but one of the first things you'll read in the book that comes with it is a warning saying p90x is only meant for those that are in a moderate to good fitness level. that doesnt mean you cant do it if your out of shape but if you get winded taking a dump, you will struggle with p90x.

I still do not get why so many people are so scared of the barbell. I think this is the biggest reason why people still use machines and stuff like P90x.

if you REALLY want to buy something, buy Ross Enemait's book, NEVER GYMLESS. Ross is a MACHINE, he has unbelievable speed power and most important dedication.

2qbw5s9.jpg

watch this video, P90x my ass. mostly homemade contraptions and his garage and music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pv_1j4dH0

quinntendopower said:
I still do not get why so many people are so scared of the barbell. I think this is the biggest reason why people still use machines and stuff like P90x.

if you REALLY want to buy something, buy Ross Enemait's book, NEVER GYMLESS. Ross is a MACHINE, he has unbelievable speed power and most important dedication.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2qbw5s9.jpg[IMG]

watch this video, P90x my ass. mostly homemade contraptions and his garage and music.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pv_1j4dH0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pv_1j4dH0[/URL][/QUOTE]

???

You use free weights with P90X

JB1981

yacobod said:
the problem with gaf imo, is that a lot of the ppl in the camp that you have to bench/deadlift/squat are also ppl who's gym number totals are pretty weak

(not everyone obviously, cuz i know there are a few that post who are pretty strong), but some of the loudest pundits in the other fitness threads have some pretty weak lifts or totals
Ehh a lot of people in there are self-described novices just trying to help

I've been lucky enough to borrow P90x from a friend of mine. I plan on starting it this Sunday. I just want to make sure I have everything I need. I'll pick up the IronGym pullup bar this afternoon and I already have 25lb. dumbbells. Do I need the resistance bands? If so, do I need them at the beginning (I'd order them from Amazon)? Are the dumbbells heavy enough or too heavy? What sort of movements would I be making with them most?

hiryu

frailimbnursry said:
I've been lucky enough to borrow P90x from a friend of mine. I plan on starting it this Sunday. I just want to make sure I have everything I need. I'll pick up the IronGym pullup bar this afternoon and I already have 25lb. dumbbells. Do I need the resistance bands? If so, do I need them at the beginning (I'd order them from Amazon)? Are the dumbbells heavy enough or too heavy? What sort of movements would I be making with them most?

I'm not sure what your fitness level is but you will probably want a set of heavier and lighter dumbbells. Some of the shoulder and arm exercises you will need lighter dumbbells starting off and for some of the back stuff probably heavier.

I try to make it to the gym at least 3 times a week (more like 2x in most cases) so I'm fairly fit. Depending on the movements involved when I watch it the first time I can determine the correct weights I guess.

Which is preferred? The pull-up bar or a set resistance bands? It's about the same price either way.

Top Bottom