• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why not just give us the Xmen already?

pramod

I don't care about Kang.
Don't care about Secret Wars, the Young Avengers, or whoever else they gonna feature in Phase 5 and 6.
Why drag this shit out with mediocre characters and villains no one cares about for another 3 years.

Why not just give the people what they want, already?

I don't care about Kang.
Don't care about Secret Wars, the Young Avengers, or whoever else they gonna feature in Phase 5 and 6.
Why drag this shit out with mediocre characters and villains no one cares about for another 3 years.

They decided to go ultra woke and have every avenger go female. MCU died with Tony Stark.

Last edited:

pramod

And if you're going to set up your uber baddie for the next 10 movies, why have him lose in his first movie to....Antman?
That's supposed to make him more interesting or formidable?
Nothing Marvel is doing makes sense to me anymore.
The next 3 years of MCU crap is going to be unbearable.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Didn't Dark Phoenix pretty much kill the X-Men brand? It'll be a tough cookie to revive the franchise after a movie tanking that hard on the box office.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Didn't Dark Phoenix pretty much kill the X-Men brand? It'll be a tough cookie to revive the franchise after a movie tanking that hard on the box office.

Your average moviegoer doesn’t even remember that movie exists lol. I highly doubt it would affect sales even slightly for a reboot. Deadpool 3 will probably do a billion easy as it is. People see Wolverine and their ass gets in the theatre.

Gp1

I don't know if I want this troupe to deal with X-Men anymore given that X-Men already has a great social critic as one of the main themes. It will probably be heavy handed.

Best to watch the 90's cartoon and forget about it.

Mr Hyde

Your average moviegoer doesn’t even remember that movie exists lol. I highly doubt it would affect sales even slightly for a reboot.

I don't know about that. Dark Phoenix was pretty much X-Mens "Batman & Robin" moment, and is one of the biggest box office bombs in recent history, losing hundreds of millions of dollars, even prompting Fox to cancel a lot of sequels. The bad reception was widespread and obviously affected the brand negatively. Maybe you could revive it if you did a "Batman Begins"- reboot with Wolverine in the main lead and with a talented director, but it's probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

Scotty W

Aren't they wokifying it anyways? It won't be remotely recognizable as X-Men once they're done going maximum woke with it.
My guess is that the first film would be almost unwatchable these days due your eyes having been opened to woke.

Not woke, but I tried watching Bryan Singers other classic Usual Suspects and I could not finish it. It is just so fucking fake.

Saber

X-men itself its a pretty problematic movie for the current Disney standart.

Pretty sure all this thing about mutants and people hating them while Magneto hunts them back with all mutant supremacy is a huge flag for them. Also most of female characters have downsides(every character has, its the whole reason they seek Xavier help), which is an another no for them.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I don't care about Kang.

The first MCU X-Men movie releases on November 8, 2024 (it took Fantastic Four's release date, which moved to February 2025).

There are seven more Phase 6 movies not yet announced:
0c1a27a4-2ba7-4544-b66b-95e25be8a219.jpeg

I dont follow superhero movies, but what happened to Xmen movies? THey used to churn out tons of them and they made lots of money.

Maybe the cast is too old and they dont want Hugh Jackman and gang on screen anymore? Or maybe Avengers is much better for the studio so Xmen got kicked to the curb?

BlackTron

Pretty sure all this thing about mutants and people hating them while Magneto hunts them back with all mutant supremacy is a huge flag for them. Also most of female characters have downsides(every character has, its the whole reason they seek Xavier help), which is an another no for them.

The most hardcore X-Men fans I know IRL are women, and maybe one reason they became so attached to these characters is because they could actually relate with their challenges and imperfections.

I wonder if Disney believes they are really catering to this group, or if they are intentionally just trying to zombify a new generation while flipping off the old guard.

Kev Kev

It was so exciting seeing them in the latest Dr. Strange movie, I had no idea that was going to happen. And the music they play when Prof X rolled in was reminiscent of that guitar riff from the animated show. That was all a sign to me that it's happening, just a matter of time. Lucky for me, I really like all the other stuff going on in the MCU currently (except She-Hulk, that was hard to get through). Can't wait to see where things go. Oh and in The Eternals we saw those giant things that look like Galactus, which must mean Fantastic 4 and Silver Surfer are coming some day. Overall, it's not as good as everything that led up to Endgame, but I still think it's great, and I'm looking forward to more MCU for years and years to come.

Saber

The most hardcore X-Men fans I know IRL are women, and maybe one reason they became so attached to these characters is because they could actually relate with their challenges and imperfections.

I wonder if Disney believes they are really catering to this group, or if they are intentionally just trying to zombify a new generation while flipping off the old guard.

Exactly the point.
X-men overall is all about super-powers but also the backstory behind each character. Each character has it's own sad backstory, which is why it led them to Xavier who not only helps them overcome their mutant powers but help them with their personnal trouples, Rogue in special because damn that girl had alot in her life.

But if someone like me or like you would had to explain that to Disney, then they would only hear about the "women" part and the rest is like "nah no, way too problematic".

Last edited:

BlackTron

Exactly the point.
X-men overall is all about super-powers but also the backstory behind each character. Each character has it's own sad backstory, which why it led them to Xavier which not only helps them overcome their mutant powers but help them with their personnal trouples, Rogue in special because damn that girl had alot in her life.

But if someone like me or like you would had to explain that to Disney them they would only hear about the "women" part and the rest is like "nah no, way too problematic".

Yeah, it's not hard to see why Rogue is such a favorite. By ignoring what made all these IP good in the first place, Disney will just skate by on past reputation/leftover goodwill as their value gradually evaporates.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
Some of y'all need help. Kevin Feige isn't going "woke" ... He's the HEAD of Marvel ... I can't believe some people are so upset about female heroes being introduced in Marvel when it was mainly white male lead heroes in the MCU until T'Challa and Carol came along.

Fbh

I think they could still have a lot to work with.
They can focus on them "being hated for who they are" and dealing with bigotry. They can paint Magneto in a sympathetic light by explaining that his methods are wrong but he was pushed this far by bigotry.
Lots of chances for "Wow you are dealing pretty well with the backlash we get as newly found out mutants", "Oh well I get catcalled on the street all the time so this is nothing new"
There's plenty of cool female characters they can focus on (Rogue, Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, Storm, etc).
They can have a running gag where Wolverine acts like a boomer and doesn't understand the new generations
Jean Grey exists so they can do their favorite thing: Erasing another redhead from fiction.

So many possibilities!

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Ant-Man, which I'm given to understand is a total piece of shit, raked in insane amounts of money already. They'll feed the pigs the scraps until they run out of scraps. Then, when the hunger is insatiable, maybe they will ready X-men.

YCoCg

And if you're going to set up your uber baddie for the next 10 movies, why have him lose in his first movie to....Antman?
He's already died once before, in Loki, Woman Loki kills "this universes" version of him after he warns that more Kangs will come. So really, he's died twice already!

IDKFA

Dream X-men cast

Charles Xavier - Vin Diesel
Wolverine - Daniel Radcliffe
Cyclopes - Timothée Chalamet
Jean Grey - Anya Taylor-Joy
Storm - Amandla Stenberg
Magneto - Daniel Day Lewis
Bishop - Chris Tucker
Beast - Seth Rogan

That's the cast they should go with. The only issue would be getting Daniel Day Lewis out of retirement, but I'm sure he'd be willing to step back into acting for the sake of the X-Men!

DeafTourette

Dream X-men cast

Jean Grey - Anya Taylor-Joy
Storm - Amandla Stenberg
Magneto - Daniel Day Lewis
Bishop - Chris Tucker
Beast - Seth Rogan

That's the cast they should go with. The only issue would be getting Daniel Day Lewis out of retirement, but I'm sure he'd be willing to step back into acting for the sake of the X-Men!

Another light skinned biracial actress to play Storm?

DeafTourette

Apologises if I caused offense. Personally I don't see the issue, especially as this is a fictional character.

It shouldn't be an issue, it's just that both iterations of Storm have been by light skinned actresses when comic Storm is dark skinned. In Hollywood, the lighter skinned a minority actress is, the more they cast her. As celebrated as Someone like Angela Bassett is, she doesn't get the roles like a Halle Berry does.

And you caused no offense. We're cool.

Ecotic

I've been assuming it's a severe case of decision paralysis, they just don't know what to do with these characters after the Fox films. Re-launching the X-Men will have to be a major undertaking, both as a set of creative projects and a major marketing push, and there will be high expectations and plenty can go wrong. Plus Disney and Marvel have made a success out of the MCU by taking middling characters and making them popular and relevant, so the prospect of having to work with a established franchise like the X-Men is giving them more cold feet.

On top of all that they have to cast some major characters who will just be compared unfavorably to Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, and Ian McKellen, however iffy those Fox films actually were.

DeafTourette

I've been assuming it's a severe case of decision paralysis, they just don't know what to do with these characters after the Fox films. Re-launching the X-Men will have to be a major undertaking, both as a set of creative projects and a major marketing push, and there will be high expectations and plenty can go wrong. Plus Disney and Marvel have made a success out of the MCU by taking middling characters and making them popular and relevant, so the prospect of having to work with a established franchise like the X-Men is giving them more cold feet.

On top of all that they have to cast some major characters who will just be compared unfavorably to Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, and Ian McKellen, however iffy those Fox films actually were.

I think they're taking time (especially now that Iger is back) to properly introduce them and have it make narrative sense. They've already started that with Namor and Kamala Khan aka Ms. Marvel (she was originally meant to be a mutant). Closer to Secret Wars is when we'll start seeing the X-Men

bitbydeath

images

Sydney Sweeney is rumoured to be Spider-woman. Good pick?

Jinzo Prime

Ant-Man, which I'm given to understand is a total piece of shit, raked in insane amounts of money already. They'll feed the pigs the scraps until they run out of scraps. Then, when the hunger is insatiable, maybe they will ready X-men.
The latest Ant-Man movie hasn't done very well in the box office, which is what is prompting this discussion.

I think its crazy Disney spent over 70 billion dollars buying 21 Century Fox, 6 years ago, and has done almost nothing with the IP they acquired.*

*Exept Avatar, which was already in pre-production when they bought it.

Last edited:

Doom85

The latest Ant-Man movie hasn't done very well in the box office, which is what is prompting this discussion.

Ant-man has never done that well. Yes, the 3rd movie is (currently) the lowest grossing, but the 1st only did 500 million and the 2nd only did 600 million.

Meanwhile, Spidey No Way Home did 1.9 billion, Dr. Strange 2 did 950 million, Thor 4 did 750 million, and Black Panther 2 did 850 million.

Also, the Fox acquisition was completed in 2019, so it’s only been four years.

Jinzo Prime

Also, the Fox acquisition was completed in 2019, so it’s only been four years.
Ah, I see the acquisition was announced in 2017 but completed in 2019. Still, after spending 70 billion dollars on a company, you whould think there would be a strong plan in place for the future of every franchise your acquiring.

Dream X-men cast

Bishop - Chris Tucker
Beast - Seth Rogan
You're either trolling or smoking crack.

Last edited:

Doom85

Ah, I see the acquisition was announced in 2017 but completed in 2019. Still, after spending 70 billion dollars on a company, you whould think there would be a strong plan in place for the future of every franchise your acquiring.

Well, they probably wanted to make sure the deal was finished before making assumptions about future projects and promises they might not be able to keep if the deal didn’t work out.

So, you know, the opposite of Phil Spencer.

Deez Nuts GIF

Doom85

Every time I see "woke", it's about race, gender and whatnot. It's not the definition I grew up with so y'all can have that. This "new" definition means nothing to me.

Yeah, it is kind of frustrating people have twisted the word from its original meaning. Especially ironic given how they accuse “woke” creators of lacking originality, and yet these same accusers are using a phrase that isn’t even their own but one they took and distorted.

DeafTourette

Yeah, it is kind of frustrating people have twisted the word from its original meaning. Especially ironic given how they accuse “woke” creators of lacking originality, and yet these same accusers are using a phrase that isn’t even their own but one they took and distorted.

Indeed! I don't get it... It's ... Weird. Anything outside of what someone wants is now "woke"

FunkMiller

Disney thought they could just use any characters to continue the momentum of the MCU through this phase, and the last. With the plummeting box office for Ant Man, they are probably realising that they can't just shovel out any old shit for people to watch... I'd imagine a lot of conversations are going on about moving both X-men and F4 forward, given that without them, the next year or so will probably tank the whole damn enterprise. I very much doubt The Marvels is going to keep things going well, and even Guardians 3 isn't a slam dunk at the box office.

pramod

Disney thought they could just use any characters to continue the momentum of the MCU through this phase, and the last. With the plummeting box office for Ant Man, they are probably realising that they can't just shovel out any old shit for people to watch... I'd imagine a lot of conversations are going on about moving both X-men and F4 forward, given that without them, the next year or so will probably tank the whole damn enterprise. I very much doubt The Marvels is going to keep things going well, and even Guardians 3 isn't a slam dunk at the box office.

Yeah i didnt realize they already moved Xmen into 2024, looks like they are not all idiots over there, they see the writing on the wall.

Top Bottom