• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
There's a good chance of it given the 360's existing install base. But it would take a long time to make up for lost ground.

Now the arguments of "the more powerful system doesn't necessarily win the sales war" make more sense.

But the PS4's got a pretty huge lead.

butman

It will never happen, the same goes to the rest of the world and the universe aswell.

Microsoft with his moves on XBOne doesn't give any confidence to their consumers. They think that they are dumbs, and when they realizes that it doesn't work on them, they come out with this kind of "fixes".

pls.

For me i don't care, i hate MS exclusives, controllers and consoles.

Oppo

There's a good chance of it given the 360's existing install base.

Now the arguments of "the more powerful system doesn't necessarily win the sales war" make more sense.

But the PS4's got a pretty huge lead.

The lead is important. People said the same thing about PS3 and the PS2's install base.

It basically all comes down to the games now. That goes for me personally as well; I haven't bought either yet. So, going into 2015, 2016, 2017, it's just whoever nails those exclusives. If they stay pretty close, probably the sales will stay pretty close. As of right now, honestly I'd rather play Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct more than anything on the PS4, but I can't say I'm super-excited about those. I'll get in once there's something I feel like I have to play.

lem0n

Overtake? Doubt it. Will it help MS play catch-up? Hell yeah. It should even out in a few years but I think Sony will stay in the lead now.

FStop7

Banned
The Xbox is pretty much known in the USA as the "the thing you play Call of Duty" on.

Given this year's CoD seems to be one that will be getting extra hype it will be interesting to see if that combined with the cheaper Xbone is enough to start bringing over that audience.

wanna bet? same thing happened last gen...MS exclusive titles always beat sony exclusive titles.

It will be The Order 1886 vs Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo will easily come out on top

MS exclusive titles beat Sony titles in NA cause they had the larger user base (WW this is not the case )
In fact i expect Sony titles going to sell more this gen because the user base going to be even at best in NA .

MS exclusive titles beat Sony titles in NA cause they had the larger user base (WW this is not the case )
In fact i expect Sony title going to sell more this gen because the user base going to be even at best in NA .

Yet Infamous was outsold by Titanfall despite the larger userbase

RulkezX

The Xbox is pretty much known in the USA as the "the thing you play Call of Duty" on.

Given this year's CoD seems to be one that will be getting extra hype it will be interesting to see if that combined with the cheaper Xbone is enough to start bringing over that audience.

And the PS2 was the console you play GTA on, didn't stop people abandoning it in droves.

Still OT - with the games MS have lined up and the price cut they are undoubtably going to gain some momentum. Sony have been riding on a wave of MS fuck ups but that's ended. If Sony's first party offerings for the rest of the year are as weak as rumoured it's game on.

Jobbs

Banned
honestly, yes, I think it will, over time, catch up. Average consumer doesn't care about incremental differences in hardware power. The games feel about the same, generally, and now the price is the same. Bring in some games consumers recognize, like Halo, and things'll even out. XB1 may even end up winning.

Really? I kind of feel the opposite.
I dunno, i'm a european bit i thought america was always more of an xbox crowd... And ive seen SOOO many people saying 'waiting for cheaper kinectless sku' . I think this is a very smart move by MS (finally). now they just have to make the UI work better without voice control

It sold a million copies in 9 days. I wouldn't be surprised if Infamous Second Son lifetime sales exceed Titanfall for Xbone. Being a single player game allows it to be sold much further in the cycle.

It might do it WW but i don't see it out selling Titanfall on X1 in NA bundles made sure of that .
What going to be interesting is seeing how certain Sony series going to sell in NA if the system more even .

wanna bet? same thing happened last gen...MS exclusive titles always beat sony exclusive titles.

It will be The Order 1886 vs Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo will easily come out on top

And that won't really matter. People seem to be missing the region breakdowns when looking at 360 vs Ps3. The reason that race went the way it did is because MS ate Sony's lunch in North America. That made up for the rest of the world and then some. I think it's safe to say that even the most ardent fanboy has to admit the North American console race will at best he neck and neck this time around, which pretty much takes away the one major advantage MS had last go round (which also allowed them to be the lead development platform for third parties and leverage exclusive game and DLC deals). That's gone. The NA race might be tight, and I think both the Bone and PS4 will have relatively healthy life spans (we aren't talking about one or turn other pulling a dreamcast here) but barring some miracle Sony fuck up I don't see any realistic scenario where MS sells more consoles than Sony over the next 5 or so years.

Drakeon

lol, no. MS will probably sell a whole lot more, but Sony's lead isn't going to dissipate over night and it'll only continue to grow in Europe and other territories (who knows if Japan is even relevant to the discussion with how little any next gen system has sold there). This is a great step towards trying to match Sony's monthly sales, but even if they manage that, they'd have to exceed Sony's monthly sales in America for quite some time to make up that gap, especially if we're talking worldwide.

I think, as a result of this move, the Xbone will be a lot more competitive. BUT, lets not get crazy here, unless it just gets a really crazy selling game (think Wii Sports level), it's doubtful it'll ever overtake Sony in North America, let alone the world.

Tcbys

Banned
Depends if Sony drops another nuke at MS E3 like doing something crazy like having Just MP functionally be free on PS4.

This is quite a fast price drop. So soon into this generation.

It might do it WW but i don't see it out selling Titanfall on X1 in NA bundles made sure of that .
What going to be interesting is seeing how certain Sony series going to sell in NA if the system more even .

Well Sony WWS games are also relatively less expensive than other publishers, thus don't need to sell as much. Uncharted games without marketing is around 20 million, whereas EA supposedly put 30 million into Titanfall and had next to nothing to show for it until MS co-financed the game to completion.

Depends if Sony drops another nuke at MS E3 like doing something crazy like having Just MP functionally be free on PS4.

This is quite a fast price drop. So soon into this generation.

I don't know if I would call it a simple price drop.
Yes the price was cut but to do so they basically chopped off an integral part of the system. It's basically a new SKU...

Malice215

Bring it down to $299 and then we'll talk. But at the same price, why would you choose the Xbone over the PS4?

PS4 is more powerful, 3rd party games perform better, and titles like Infamous Second Son put the smackdown on Titanfall with all of its hype and marketing behind it, along with the discounted bundles for the game/system.

MS has a lot of ground to make up, but at least their system will be more attractive to people at $100 less.

GodofWine

I dont see it happening. Its pretty much now common knowledge (or easily tripped over on google) that the xb1 is not the hardware that the ps4 is...MS's draw was its shooter base, and now everyone knows that every single one of the big multi plats runs better on ps4...everything runs better on ps4.

I really really thought MS was going to make the uber powerful console and go for Sony's jugular this gen (i was a ps3 owner and honestly thought id be getting an "xbox720")...they f'd up, they let Sony off the ropes the last couple years, Sony started to land punches, and at E3 they hit MS right on the chin...the only way MS gets back on top is if Sony does something ungodly dumb.

Barzul

What's the current difference? Very very good chance of Xbox overtaking PS here. It took them less than a year to get to price parity and the Xbox brand has far greater mindshare than Playstation in NA. We'll see how Halo does. That is the game to move units for me.

kirby_fox

Banned
I think at this point, people have made their choices and unless a game comes out on the One they've got a PS4 for multiplatform titles. As long as Sony doesn't drop the ball and offers exclusive games, there's no coming back from the damage Microsoft did with launching the XO.

I assure you there are people who will just keep their 360 for years too, because the casual crowd never leaves the system they buy into.

Lothars

nope MS has a lot more to do to even catch up, they may sell more than they are now but they are still a far ways off.

Edit: anyone saying that simply the price drop wil do it is insane, The 360 had a year headstart which helped it immensely, The Xbox one doesn't have that and even with titanfall didn't sell more than the PS4.

N.Domixis

Banned
I also don't expect the casual kinect crowd to come back. That is what made xbox blow past ps3 in the states. With them dropping kinect it seals the deal. They lost the kinect crowd. Why would they come back when they can play similar games on 360 for cheaper price.

inner-G

Banned
Like it or not, it is perceived as 'weaker' by many. I don't really see much of anything that reverse it long-term.

The sales difference between PS4 and XB1 is less than 400k right? That's not much so MS could easily make that up and overtake NA.

I was originally surprised that the XB1 was selling as well as it was vs PS4 with the $100 gap. Now, with that gone, NA is completely up for grabs.

Way too soon to say. We're less than a year in! Anything can happen, really.

All it takes is one game to turn the tides. The average consumer doesn't give a shit about the stuff we argue about here on GAF.

And don't forget- MS has more money to spend than Sony does. This can't be overlooked- they can buy their way into victory if need be. Sony's not doing too well financially, and that's worth noting.

So far I have a PS4 and not an Xbox One, but I'm sure I'll buy me a bone within the next year.

Nafai1123

Banned
Like it or not, it is perceived as 'weaker' by many. I don't really see much of anything that reverse it long-term.

It's not perceived as weaker, it is weaker. I don't see how the mass public knowing the facts is anything but a good thing.

I think the XB1 will do just fine this gen, but I don't see it taking many (if any) markets.

legacyzero

Banned
No way. Sure, I'm glad they FINALLY decided to do the right thing. But there's still one tough thing to get by:

The lack of hardware power versus the PS4.

"BUT LEGACY! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GAMES!" You say. I find it difficult to enjoy games at too low a resolution. It literally hurts my head. If it wasn't for the fact that the PS4 is cranking out a lot of games in 1080p, I wouldn't even own that. I would just stick to my PC. And there's no way I would pick a multiplatform console game on the Xbone over the PS4, especially if it's a better version (higher res and framerate). Even if the graphics aren't as impressive on the Xbox one, higher resolutions are important to me, mainly so I don't have to pop Advil all day.

Also, I have yet to see anything outside of Dead Rising 3 that is any kind of compelling. So hopefully we have a good lineup of awesome games being shown at E3 from the MS camp. Dropping that fucking Kinect, and lowering the price has raised my interest some.

EvaristeG

Banned
Did people forget the 360 beat PS3 during maybe 2 years straight last gen ?

And what has power anything to do with it ?

Don't know if people are just wishful thinking or if they have memory loss.

The answer is probably yes.

N.Domixis

Banned
Way too soon to say. We're less than a year in! Anything can happen, really.

All it takes is one game to turn the tides. The average consumer doesn't give a shit about the stuff we argue about here on GAF.

And don't forget- MS has more money to spend than Sony does. This can't be overlooked- they can buy their way into victory if need be. Sony's not doing too well financially, and that's worth noting.

So far I have a PS4 and not an Xbox One, but I'm sure I'll buy me a bone within the next year.

If they can buy themselves to victory why not just drop the price to 300$. They can afford it right?

It's going to be hard with the momentum Sony has built up. If your friends have all bought a ps4, then you likely will as well no matter the changes MS makes. It will make it closer that is for sure, but whether they can overtake Sony remains to be seen. Worldwide there is no chance they can catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom