• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

I'm pretty sure I'm on the last boss. Not that I'm asking for a hint but am I supposed to get shot at a fuck ton during the encounter? Doesn't seem like there's any cover when I go for the
zeppelins

How to deal with that boss:
Shoot him with your LaserKraftwerk and he'll have to charge his shield back up giving you time to run. I would start in the middle with the charger. Shoot him until he charges. Run to one of the sides and stop at the end with the charger, charge my gun, shoot him again to make him charge and then run to the AA gun. Grenades also work

Hmm, it looks like quite a few of you are still trying to finish this...

wp_ss_20140703_0002.png

Scrubs.
Don't give up! :D

Just finished it on Uber, god DAMN is the final boss tough! I would have straight given up if you didn't get a check point mid way through, was bad enough not getting one after taking out the first of two things you need too...

I liked the ending and was genuinely upset the game was over... so I started it again on the middle setting, it's a different game just running into rooms without being cautious, feel SO good.

Story and all aside, my favourite thing about the game is the lean mechanic, I love it to bits especially in heated fire fights where you literally dodge bullets and quickly poke in and out of cover.

Game of the year, for sure.

I feel this was the sequel to Rage and I was happy with that, I would another 'sequel' but with a different story/universe from Bethesda, this is how FPS should be.

Dude, you totally need to check out the bonus modes!

Everyone who has finished the game needs to do this. I would really love to hear everybody's thoughts on this, good, bad or ugly.

It's my first thread that I actually put any effort behind. :/

Because of this game I needed to play some OG Starbreeze stuff so I bought Riddick Assault on Dark Athena and am playing through Butcher Bay for the first time. The game is absolutely amazing and it's really cool seeing all the design similarities (talking to NPC's, flushing toilets, brutal melee animations, stealth, narrative pacing, etc). I have to say, though, I'm really glad they nailed the gunplay in Wolfenstein because it is really not good in Riddick.

I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it before and loved Wolfenstein.

Also, I'm already gettin the urge to go back and do my second playthrough of Wolf...

antitrop

The Darkness sits somewhere in-between Riddick and Wolfenstein as far as gunplay goes, and has the best overall story of the 3.

I think BJ is a much more relatable, interesting, sympathetic, and well-written character than Jackie Estacado was, though. Jackie is kind of a douchey prick, anyway (his loading screen monologues are interesting, but only reinforce that he's an awful person). If you're supposed to feel sorry for him being possessed by The Darkness, well... not really. There are other things you're supposed to feel sorry for, though.

How to deal with that boss:
Shoot him with your LaserKraftwerk and he'll have to charge his shield back up giving you time to run. I would start in the middle with the charger. Shoot him until he charges. Run to one of the sides and stop at the end with the charger, charge my gun, shoot him again to make him charge and then run to the AA gun. Grenades also work

Thanks. I didn't catch on that
he gets stunned if you shoot at his shield.

Just wrapped it up. Game was a fantastic romp in shoot-a-motherfucker-in-the face land. I expected the ending to be a bit more...
explosive. WHERE WAS THE DAMN NUKE I SPENT HALF THE GAME GETTING? Unless there's a second ending for walking away? Don't tell me!

I missed out on an obscene amount of the collectibles. I thought I was being thorough too. Got a few perks left as well. Guess I'm playing this again

Cloudy

Banned
Just wrapped it up. Game was a fantastic romp in shoot-a-motherfucker-in-the face land. I expected the ending to be a bit more...
explosive. WHERE WAS THE DAMN NUKE I SPENT HALF THE GAME GETTING? Unless there's a second ending for walking away? Don't tell me!

Umm, BJ gave them the go ahead to fire it and he apparently died in the blast unless they pull off some crazy stuff for the sequel lol

Umm, BJ gave them the go ahead to fire it and he apparently died in the blast unless they pull off some crazy stuff for the sequel lol

Well, yeah. I wanted to see a
big fucking explosion. You'd expect the pay off of a game like this to be a huge 'fuck yeah' moment but instead its a sad fade to black. I even sat through the entire credit sequence because I wanted to see that god damn nuclear explosion. They even teased that something was about to happen because the chopper sound starts to creep back right at the end. I just wanted to see that explosion man ;_;

Well, yeah. I wanted to see a
big fucking explosion. You'd expect the pay off of a game like this to be a huge 'fuck yeah' moment but instead its a sad fade to black. I even sat through the entire credit sequence because I wanted to see that god damn nuclear explosion. They even teased that something was about to happen because the chopper sound starts to creep back right at the end. I just wanted to see that explosion man ;_;

Well actually nothing about the tone of the narrative should've led you to expect a huge "fuck yeah" moment at the end. The cut to black after BJ's last lines feels very appropriate IMO. If they get to make a sequel, THAT'S where I think you'll get a huge triumphant ending.

Well actually nothing about the tone of the narrative should've led you to expect a huge "fuck yeah" moment at the end. The cut to black after BJ's last lines feels very appropriate IMO. If they get to make a sequel, THAT'S where I think you'll get a huge triumphant ending.

The thing is
there was an explosion. It just wasn't shown. It would have been a conflicting happy/sad ending like Terminator 2. Killing Deathshead wasn't very satisfying and the random grenade after all you've been through felt pretty cheap.

Mr Swine

Banned
The thing is
there was an explosion. It just wasn't shown. It would have been a conflicting happy/sad ending like Terminator 2. Killing Deathshead wasn't very satisfying and the random grenade after all you've been through felt pretty cheap.

I'm glad
they went with Deathshead using a grenade to try to kill BJ with him. He knew he was screwed and that BJ was going to gut him like a pig

Melchiah

This has to be one of the hardest "normal" difficulties I've ever played in a FPS. Getting my ass handed to me in what I assume are the latter stages of the game. I think I screwed myself over a bit by not taking that much notice of the perks.

Agreed. The
Lunar Base
level was just too much for me on normal, had to tone down the difficulty level. Apart from this and KZ2+SF, I've always been able to finish the shooters on normal.

I'm glad
they went with Deathshead using a grenade to try to kill BJ with him. He knew he was screwed and that BJ was going to gut him like a pig

Yeah. I'm not bothered by it because the implication says enough. I do feel like
they should have at shown Deathshead's fortress crumbling at least to say, "This is what you accomplished." As it is the game goes out with a whimper

Anyway I started on uber. Between having most of the perks unlocked and a bit of experience I'm finding it pretty dang easy. I've only died once and I'm on chapter 3. I just now found out about killing Commanders revealing stuff on the map. I missed out on so much shit. Didn't even find one health upgrade and I think I got maybe 2 armor boosts lol

The Darkness sits somewhere in-between Riddick and Wolfenstein as far as gunplay goes, and has the best overall story of the 3.

I think BJ is a much more relatable, interesting, sympathetic, and well-written character than Jackie Estacado was, though. Jackie is kind of a douchey prick, anyway (his loading screen monologues are interesting, but only reinforce that he's an awful person). If you're supposed to feel sorry for him being possessed by The Darkness, well... not really. There are other things you're supposed to feel sorry for, though.

I really want to play The Darkness. I remember being excited for it leading up to it's release and then I think I played the demo and just sort of wrote it off. Alas, of course now that I'm older and I know it's pedigree I'm sure I would appreciate the game, but I have no way to play it unless it hits PS Now.

Riddick as a protagonist is sort of similar to BJ in that he's got those gruff monologues and is a total badass, but I think BJ is better written--and as you said in your comparison to Jackie--a lot more relatable, interesting, and sympathetic.

I finished this morning the return to London Nautica chapter, and boy, the laser thing with the upgrades is amazing, using the scope upgrade you just head explode everything, it also drains its power but you can wait a little and star again, fun weapons in this game no doubt, and the knive throwing cant get a little ridicolous, you hit them anywhere and drop dead right there

KingKong

Just played through the labor camp part and thats what the critics were talking about? It was so much milder than I expected, in fact it basically looked like Chronicles of Riddick rather than some kind of Buchenwald horrors of war.

I finished this morning the return to London Nautica chapter, and boy, the laser thing with the upgrades is amazing, using the scope upgrade you just head explode everything, it also drains its power but you can wait a little and star again, fun weapons in this game no doubt, and the knive throwing cant get a little ridicolous, you hit them anywhere and drop dead right there

I made it a little game to see how far from a major artery I could hit him with a knife and still go down

Back of the ankle for the win!

Just played through the labor camp part and thats what the critics were talking about? It was so much milder than I expected, in fact it basically looked like Chronicles of Riddick rather than some kind of Buchenwald horrors of war.

Yeah, it wasn't too extreme except when you get stabbed and chucked in the corpse chute an there are a bunch of super imaciated bodies. I think critics were more shocked that a video game would let you play through a labor camp. It's an issue of representation that is still very much a hot topic even in film,

I made it a little game to see how far from a major artery I could hit him with a knife and still go down

Back of the ankle for the win!

other thing that was pretty weird, i did a stealth kill throwing the knife and when i went to retrieve it from the guy he was burned as if i just hit him with the laser, i hit him in the back or wherever and he was destroyed was really weird, but the game is pretty fun i just try not to abuse the knives too much, the dual wielding shootguns with the shrapnel ammo is pretty insane too

other thing that was pretty weird, i did a stealth kill throwing the knife and when i went to retrieve it from the guy he was burned as if i just hit him with the laser, i hit him in the back or wherever and he was destroyed was really weird, but the game is pretty fun i just try not to abuse the knives too much, the dual wielding shootguns with the shrapnel ammo is pretty insane too

Yeah I noticed that too. I think they probably saved on time and budget by making only one damage map for the moon stuff.

I somehow started dual wielding a pistol with an assault rifle at one point. It immediately switched to two assault rifles a second later though.

I somehow started dual wielding a pistol with an assault rifle at one point. It immediately switched to two assault rifles a second later though.

I would love to dual-wield a knife and a silenced pistol for ultimate stealth

Not that you can't just whip out a knife attack regardless but still

It's a set up for both DLC about
anya going after Frau Engel, and a Timesplitters game. Anya campaign designed like the main game. Timesplitters game with Sergeant Cortez rescuing various shooter protagonists moments before their assumed deaths in order to avoid disturbing the timeline and to form a kickass time-traveling team to set things right throughout history

30 people from Crytek UK (formerly Free Radical) left the company and that place is falling apart. They're now at MachineGames. It's the only reasonable possibility.

It's a set up for both DLC about
anya going after Frau Engel, and a Timesplitters game. Anya campaign designed like the main game. Timesplitters game with Sergeant Cortez rescuing various shooter protagonists moments before their assumed deaths in order to avoid disturbing the timeline and to form a kickass time-traveling team to set things right throughout history

30 people from Crytek UK (formerly Free Radical) left the company and that place is falling apart. They're now at MachineGames. It's the only reasonable possibility.

If only...that would be *future perfect*

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I wish I'd tried that uber-trophy-trick. For some reason I decided I would restart the game again to play Uber from the beginning.

The problem is that it's now my 3rd playthrough (once on normal, once on death incarnate) and I'm getting a bit bored. Grrr!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, the laser with the scope made that first big encounter on the bridge much, much easier than I expect it might have been without it. Good god, that's a hell of a weapon. I don't even need to aim.

Also, the pistol is basically a sniper rifle and, hey, I love it.

Hard Mode has been a hell of a challenge.

Volcynika

Beat the game on I Am Death Incarnate, woo. Last boss was an asshole, along with some other particular encounters, but I enjoyed it! Might go back and clean up on collectibles and stuff when I have some time.

zedge

Borrowed this off a friend who picked up an x1 today. He could not get the game to install and neither can I. Searching online it seems this is a common thing. How can they release a game like this? Any tips to try and get the install to complete?

leng jai

So is the SP in this good? Think I'm going to trade in Infamous for it, but if it's mostly MP focused I'll pass.

You clearly didn't read a single post in this thread, the game doesn't have multi. Your question has obviously been answered several hundred times in this thread already, but the answer is yes.

Number45

You clearly didn't read a single post in this thread, the game doesn't have multi. Your question has obviously been answered several hundred times in this thread already, but the answer is yes.
Correct. I like to go in to most games almost entirely blind, so reading posts in an OT that's been open for too long is hazardous.

Thanks for the info, both of you. :)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
does iddqd do anything if typed in console anyone tried ?

Gloam

Finished the game this morning. Last boss wasn't too bad just had to be careful with where I was standing. Dual shotguns and dual laser rifles made short work of him. Overall, I really liked the feel of the weapons in the game and the way in which you could go from guns blazing to stealth and back again. Throwing knives were probably my favourite weapons along with the Marksman rifle.

I was disappointed not to have had a proper sniper rifle in the game, though as some have pointed out already the pistol is pretty much a sniper rifle! I'm excited to see what the future holds for the series, Machinegames really hit it out of the park with this one. Let's hope Doom can have a similar revitalization.

Oh, one thing that bummed me out was the lack of cheat code support during the nightmare sequence, I would have liked to have had a chaingun from the get go! ILM!

The first half of the game was 10/10 for me.
Pacing was great.
Second half was okay, 8/10. Mostly due to pacing. The game could have become a lot better/slower paced.
Ending was awful, almost in a good way because...

I love Anya and I wanted them to be together at the end so bad and it didn't happen. I swear to god, they need to be together again. /heartbreak

Top Bottom