• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Tanks |OT| Big guns and penetration

I'm looking for some decent players to play with.

I am really trying hard to get better.

I'm just looking to run some pubs, platoon with 1 or 2 others that know what they are doing.

http://wotlabs.net/na/player/busta_smurk here are my stats. My overall stats are terrible, but for the first 1500 or so games I was being re-re, and just chaining out games trying to grind out EXP/credits.

I've changed my mentality, and matured over the last 500-600 games and really started to turn it around.

I mostly play solo now, sometimes with some RL friends, but they have drastically different schedules than me, so it's hard to always be on at the same time.

I also have a TS server. (US server, EST TZ)

Anton668

spent the weekend learnin arty. it was interesting to say the least

now to spend the week getting ready for the Open Champion Series... I gotta quit signing us up for random shit... lol

Anton668

well that kinda sucked....

first round of championship won 1 out of 3
stupid RNG hated me first match and the second match my dumbass forgot to load my gold rounds at the start of the match :(

Meteorain

Are the clients region exclusive in terms of playing online?

If so, I'm going to assume most of you guys play on the US side of things?

Anton668

well tonights rounds went a little better 2 wins and a draw. though I think mathematically we wont be able to make it into the top 16 teams :( so no invite to the minors this time...

Zia

Is this game accessible for a casual shooter player that played stuff like Call of Duty 2 and Day of Defeat? We're building a PC for my father-in-law and thought it might be great thing to get him involved with.

The number of people playing this thing is absolutely staggering considering it gets so little mainstream press.

Hellix

Is this game accessible for a casual shooter player that played stuff like Call of Duty 2 and Day of Defeat? We're building a PC for my father-in-law and thought it might be great thing to get him involved with.

The number of people playing this thing is absolutely staggering considering it gets so little mainstream press.

Well, World of Tanks is nothing like a casual FPS game. Matches are not fast-paced. Well, you can play fast, but you will most likely be killed by the enemy just as fast. The game requires a degree of patience to do well. However, the average match may only take about 5 minutes or so.

With that being said, it isn't a simulator either. The game has an arcade-ish feel, so the game isn't difficult to play by any means. There is just a learning curve: learning your tanks' strengths and weaknesses, where to shoot opposing tanks, where to take cover on a map, what directions you should take on a map, etc.

At any rate, it is free to play. Just download it and try it out. You don't have to spend a dime on this game to enjoy it, because most of the benefits of premium accounts are now being seen on normal accounts. It is basically pay to grind less, since premium accounts get 50% more experience and credits.

PBalfredo

Zia was right in the new Tanks topic: this thread is slow as molasses. So let's get some real discussion going.

Let's talk maps! Favorite map? Least favorite?

Favorites:

PF7iMCf.jpg
kpiL4rQ.jpg

Live Oaks: I like maps that offer different styles of play. Lots of down and dirty close range fighting in town. Long range sniping along the bridge and across the swamp. Big gently sloped fields for scouts to run amuck. Plus they nailed the feeling of 1940's Americana for this map, which is very charming.

7Uy6OVP.jpg
AIfgkMs.jpg

Ensk: A very close combat focused map with the option for open fighting east of the rail tracks. The maze of buildings allow a lot of opportunities to ambush or flank tanks engaged in brawls with one another.

TROlz6r.jpg
3mTp3um.jpg

Steppes: Options for close fighting among the rocks in the west, sniper wars in the middle, and gentle hills and the valley for lights and mediums to advance and try to flank. Another map with lots of options for all types of vehicles. This is a map where having a good scout on your team can make a huge difference.

Least Favorites:

LmEP17I.jpg
DknTxOZ.jpg

El Halluf: Trying to cross the valley straight on is guaranteed suicide. The only reasonable crossing is in the narrowest part of the valley in the northwest corner. Meaning the map always degrades into a peek-a-boo brawl in sector A2. Hope you're the top heavy!

bAo5zWr.jpg
qIgdOtq.jpg

Malinovka: Similar to the problem with El Halluf, lot's of dangerous exposed No Man's Lands which forces most to take the long slow journey to the top of the hill and have a brawl in the northeast corner. Except for those who have to stay behind as a token presence near spawn to make sure no one attempts to blitz across the field.

Basically I like maps with a lot of variety of possible strategies that lets all the classes of tanks work together. Maps that lend limit themselves to one valid corner to fistfight over with just brawler tanks are my least favorite.

Hellix

Zia was right in the new Tanks topic: this thread is slow as molasses. So let's get some real discussion going.

I know. I guess not many people on GAF plays it?

Anyway, I am not a big fan of most the maps on WoT. I wish there were more interesting ones. There definitely is a lack of winter maps too. I do like Dragon Ridge, Himmelsdorf, Cliff, and Arctic Region though. You also hit the nail on the head on your least favorite maps. I hate El Halluf and Malinovka with a passion.

PBalfredo

Himmeldorf and Arctic Region are cool. I recently got an AT2 and plopping myself down right at the end of the straight valley in Cliff was hilariously effective. Free Steal Wall medal. One of these days I need to figure out how all those mountain goat light tanks are making it to the top of the lighthouse hill in Cliff.

I wish you had the option to edit a playlist of which maps you wanted to play for Random battles. Striking El Halluf and Malinovka off the rotation of Random maps would be wonderful. Anyone know exactly why some maps, like Dragon Ridge, Swamp and Komarin (good riddance) get pulled from the rotation? Bugs or balance issues?

Hellix

They usually get reworked. Probably balance issues or just making it look more appealing in general. They should be returning in 0.8.6.

PBalfredo

The thing that interests me about WoT's maps is that they they are mostly symmetrical, but not completely. In most other games, it swings hard one way or another: maps are either mirror images or wildly asymmetrical.

http://worldoftanks.com/news/2304-military-month-bonus-code/

Code Active: 17:00 PDT (20:00 EDT) on May 7, 2013

Code Expires: 16:59 PDT (19:59 EDT) on May 15, 2013

Military Parade Bonus Code Contents

1 Day of Premium
5 Cases of Cola
5 Chocolate
5 Improved Combat Rations
5 Pudding and Tea
5 Strong Coffee
5 Extra Combat Rations

Instructions

Visit the World of Tanks home page and sign in
Click on your username in the upper right corner of the screen
Click "Activate Bonus Code" and enter the code shown below

PARADE

Anton668

Military Parade Escalation Tournaments

Continuing with our celebration of National Military Appreciation Month, we've got a huge set of tournaments for all of our eSports veterans and new recruits. These tournaments will occur on May 10th, 11th, and 12th at the same time every day. Teams are invited to register for any combination of tournaments they like, but keep in mind that the Low and High tier tournaments occur simultaneously each day (don't register for both on the same day!). Best of luck to all the brave tankers that take to the field!
Lower Tier Escalation Tournaments

Tier III Tournament Page
Tier IV Tournament Page
Tier V Tournament Page
Lower Tier Discussion Thread

Higher Tier Escalation Tournaments

Tier VI Tournament Page
Tier VII Tournament Page
Tier VIII Tournament Page
Higher Tier Discussion Thread

Team & Tier Limit Rules

Seven players in each match (maximum registered team size of nine including two alternates)
Please check each respective tournament page for tier limits and maximum tier points

should be fun

Anton668

Military Parade Weekend
Bonuses
x5 Experience for the First Victory of the Day
x2 Crew Experience for All Tier IX Tanks and Tier VII SPGs
x3 Crew Experience for All Tier X Tanks and Tier VIII SPGs
50% Bonus Credit Income for All Non-Premium Tier VII Tanks
750 Bonus Experience for Every Confederate Medal Earned
Discounts
50% Credit Discount on Equipment
50% Gold and Credit Discount for all Consumables
50% Gold Discount on Garage Slots
50% Gold and Credit Discount for Crew Vehicle Training
50% Gold and Credit Discount for Crew Skill Retraining
50% Gold and Credit Discount for Camo and Emblems

Discounts for Premium Account
15% discount for one year (360 days)
15% discount for half a year (180 days)
Seven days for the price of three
Three days for the price one

30% Credit Discount for All Tier VIII Tanks and Tier VI SPGs
15% Gold Discount for All Tier VIII Premium Vehicles
50% Gold Discount for the Following Premium Vehicles
III T-127
IV Valentine II
V Matilda IV
V Churchill III
III FCM36 PaK40
IV 105 leFH18B2
V Matilda Black Prince
III Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f)
V T-25
III T-15
V Ram II
V T14

and...

Never played before? Use invite code FBTANK to start off your journey with 300 gold, the Premium T2 Light Tank, and 3 days of Premium Account status! That's $10 worth of in-game content. Register here: http://po.st/uzVpRH

PBalfredo

Whelp, impulsively bought the KV-5 before it's sale in the Gift Shop closes. Let's see how this turns out. I hope it's super bouncy like my B2 Bis which I enjoy greatly. I know the R2-D2 turret on the front is a weak spot, so I have to watch out for that. Maybe I should try driving into battle backwards, lol

Hellix

About to research ISU-152 and T-32 but no money to buy either one. Surprisingly, I am about halfway to researching the E-50M thanks to the x5 events.

Das-J

Law of the West
Just checking in to say that I love this game and play almost daily.

Add me if you want to Derp some Newbs!

Anton668

which server and what name?

ETA: so many fail teams this morning makes me want to go outside and kick puppys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Das-J

Law of the West
I'm dropping that shit as some of us will be creating our own soon... also because their Clan Tag is hideous!

Anton668

yeah.. gonna have to wait and see how the changes play out before I pass judgement.

Not really sure bout the camo thing. the biggest prob with "camo" in the game right now is how tanks in the open can just "poof", vanish from sight. I understand they are trying to strike a balance between arcade and realism, but I think they are erring on the side of arcade far to much/often.

Also as its been pointed out in the forums, this seems like a move to be more in line with other esports. as the RNG was pointed to be out of place with a true esports game.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they really treat the open league as third rate. almost 5pm and we still have no idea who we are playing in a few hours. WG really needs to get its shit together!

Anton668

So, how bad do you want a Tetrarch???

Lion King Bundle - $116.99

This particular bundle will actually last a little bit longer than the others listed above, going from 23:00 PDT on May 23, 2013 until 23:00 PDT on June 2, 2013. If you're looking to make an instant impression on the battlefield, this bundle will help. In addition, you'll also get the ultra rare tier II Tetrarch as an added gift.

VIII Löwe Löwe II Tetrarch Tetrarch 10,000
90 Days of Premium
2 Garage Slots

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I have an invite code and $25 credit if anyone wants it. It came with a graphics card I just got. First person to quote gets it.

Anton668

I have an invite code and $25 credit if anyone wants it. It came with a graphics card I just got. First person to quote gets it.

well the credit I can use. guess I can pass off the Invite...

There's an easier way, at least if you ever had one and sold it. If you contact support, they'll give it back to you if you have an open garage space and how ever much silver it costs.

maybe in the EU
in the US... if you are lucky

Anton668

http://worldoftanks.com/news/2339-clan-wars-campaigns-announcement/

Clan Wars Campaigns Announcement

The Clan Wars Participant commemorative medal will be provided to all players that have participated in at least one battle on the Global Map between May 27th and June 10th.

We’re pleased to announce a new era for Clan Wars -- Campaigns -- a seasonal approach, featuring special rules, incredible prizes, and unique achievements! These large-scale events will take place throughout the year giving clans, both large and small, several opportunities to win their share of loot and glory.

What is the Purpose of Campaigns?

We built a dynamic campaign system and want to make more people aware of and able to participate. Currently, only a small portion of our players engage in Clan Wars. We want to open that experience to more of our community.

Campaigns will allow us to introduce players into Clan Wars sooner. For example, we’ll be able to adjust things like the tiers of tanks involved in a particular stage of an event. Lower tiers will allow newer clans to participate in the early stages of the Campaigns. This experience will drive them to learn more and then be able to participate at a higher level.

Make Clan Wars a More Active Experience

A major objective of Campaigns is to make the map more dynamic. With the formations of large alliances over long periods of time, the Global Map can stagnate with diplomacy being more important than game skill. The campaign system will run for a specific duration and have multiple stages that will have specific objectives.

While diplomacy will still play a significant part in success, it will be harder to coordinate blocking the map with the objectives changing between stages. These changes should create a much more dynamic system with more battles per night as players fight over provinces to achieve these goals.

Reward Participants with Epic Prizes

Improving the rewards of Clan Wars is our last major objective. Players will spend many hours planning and battling over the Global Map and we want to reward that time spent. In addition to the unique medals and in-game Gold that will be awarded during our first Campaign, a unique tier X medium clan tank M60 will be awarded to the highest scoring clans! This tank is the ultimate status symbol and will be available to show off in standard battles as well as Clan Wars, company battles, and training battles. To receive any reward aside of gold, including, but not limiting with achievements and special tank, players will have participate in at least some clan wars battles (up to 10) as part of clan-victor. Regulations will be announced for each prize separately.

How Will it Work?

Campaigns will consist of several stages, during which participants will strive to achieve different goals while earning Victory Points (VP) for their clan. Clans that gain the most points during each stage will be rewarded; clans that have the most VP at the very end of the Campaign will receive truly epic prizes. On top of that, all VP’s earned will be converted into gold for the clan treasure after the Campaign ends.

During our first Campaign, the Top-5 clans for each stage and the Top-30 clans for the whole campaign will receive the M60 tank once the campaign ends.

The top clan of the Campaign will receive a ‘Legendary’ medal, the runner-up will proudly wear ‘Indestructible’ medal, while the ‘Veteran’ medal is reserved for third place.

Additionally, for playing at least one battle during the Campaign, players will receive a special ‘Campaign Participant’ medal.

When Does it Start?

The rules, goals, and conditions for each stage will be announced gradually. A specific news article will provide everything you need to know for each stage. Watch the news for the complete information on the first stage – Landlords – including the details for objectives, Victory Points, and more on May 22, 2013.

The first campaign itself will begin on June 10th, and, starting from May 27th, all those that participate in CW beforehand in at least one battle will receive a medal of CW participation.

Hellix

I haven't played in awhile. It seems like they have been scaling back on their credit discounts/credit bonuses. I remember tier 6-7 tanks getting at least 50% discounts, but it seems only the tier 2-5 tanks are getting them, which isn't that much of a savings for those tiers.

PBalfredo

Funny thing is, I saw the 30% discount for the Panther and decided I could get the XP needed on my VK 30.01 H this weekend to upgrade. I got a little impatient and as soon as I got 48,000 XP, I sold my VK. Then clicked to research the Panther, but it was grayed out. I stepped out of my normal order of operations and sold my previous tank before clicking to research the next. I thought for a moment that having the parent tank was required to research the child, so I repurchased my VK. Research option still grayed out. Then it occurred to me that I misread the amount needed. It cost 48,600 XP, not 48,000. So I played a single game with my new stock VK, got the XP, sold that VK then bought my new Panther, completely undermining the discount with my mistake.

Whoops.

Finally,

After months of improvements, Ive finally made it to a 51% win rate.

http://mywotstats.com/Player/View/1002538462/NA

Man, dat feel.

My biggest improvement, was not relying on my team for anything. 'Having to do everything for yourself' is my new mentality in pub games.

And for this, fast tanks. Lots of fast tanks. Decided to head up the Russian heavy line, and branch out at their mediums.

Switters

Man I thought there would be more interest in this game when I searched for a thread... Oh well, nice to see someone made an OT.

Anyway, I'm at the point where the grinding begins in Earnest. I'm trying to get the T29, but playing M4AE32 is kind of boring. So I switched over to the Russian KV line. The KV 1 is sick and I do pretty well in it.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations about where to go after the KV 1?

Anton668

well I went the T1 - M6 - T29 route and had no problems. I was warned ahead of time about the stock gun on the M6 will make you want to kick kittens. The T29 is pretty much the best tier 7 heavy in the game atm.

for the russians, the KV-1S is the "go to" tank for tier 6 limited things such as companys and skirms/tournys. the IS-3 is the "go to" tank for tier 8 limited battles.

and for what its worth, if you are intested in clan wars, the T110E5 is about the most used tank there. followed by the T110E4, IS-7, BatChat and 1 or 2 more(no Maus or E100 unless special circumstances)

if it were me, i'd go back to the T1 and run up that route. the are fun tanks(aside from the slight kitten kicking rage induced by the stock M6)

hope that helps

Hellix

Man I thought there would be more interest in this game when I searched for a thread... Oh well, nice to see someone made an OT.

Anyway, I'm at the point where the grinding begins in Earnest. I'm trying to get the T29, but playing M4AE32 is kind of boring. So I switched over to the Russian KV line. The KV 1 is sick and I do pretty well in it.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations about where to go after the KV 1?

Ah, you should have went through T1 Heavy and M6. You are going to hate the T29 without the 90mm from the M6, unless you got the free exp to get it.

I don't really play Russian tanks, but I think most people go through the IS line. KVs seem slow, especially with their massive turrets being a big target.

Top Bottom