• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox v.Next and Only Online by Paul Thurrott: Deal With It :)

DigitalOp

Banned
See, this is the thing. You guys are getting super pissed when you haven't even been affected by this. I'm not really fucking pissed off because I have no financial leaning into the next XBOX platform. I may or may not buy it, that remains to be seen (mainly based that we all don't really know anything about it yet), but I'm not pissed of now. Microsoft hasn't done anything to me.

Would you buy a bluray or dvd player that would only play movies if it was connected to the internet?

If your answer is no, you are hypocrite.

If you say yes, I'm 100% sure your lying.

Please don't take my response personal but I'm tired of this argument. This product is anti consumer hands down. Its borrowed hardware. We cannot support such a product because it sets a business model that this is okay. I'm not buying it. Hands down. My job is now to make people aware of the issue at hand. The implications of this technology will have ramifications.

I'm telling you now GAF. On some prophet shit.

Mifune

Mehmber
Here is the quote:

Let me break it down for you guys, since reading comprehension isn't your forte:

I think that an always-on Xbox is directly in keeping with Microsoft’s strategy for all next-generation platforms, including Windows Phone (all versions) and Windows 8/RT, which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time.

Translation: Durango will work similarly to win phone and win8/rt - as if you always have an internet connection.
Comment: We know that the majority of the features on those items require an internet connection, but they still work offline.

Yes, they do work offline, of course.

Translation: Win8/RT and the phone do work offline, even though they are designed for always online - essentially they are always-online platforms.
Comment: Basically confirming my earlier comment.

But the apps platform on these systems—which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox—assumes a connection. Microsoft’s new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.

Translation: The apps on these systems assume that you have an internet connection. The apps on the Windows 8-based xbox will also assume a connection.
Comment: NOTHING IS ACTUALLY BEING SAID ABOUT GAMES. Only apps. The apps will be designed to work online.

So just like the phone can still make phone calls without an internet connection, and you can still use your windows 8 PC without an internet connection, the next Xbox will still have basic offline functionality, and one would logically assume that it can play games, although it does not specifically say so. The apps and some other features will work assuming you have an internet connection, BUT WE CANNOT CONCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT GAMES, though we can logically assume that games will at least work offline going by what he said.

THERE, you got it?

Your interpretation completely discards the clearest, most concise statement in the entire piece:

"Folks, the next Xbox is going to require an always-on Internet connection."

Uhh...What?

Here is the quote:

Let me break it down for you guys, since reading comprehension isn't your forte:

I think that an always-on Xbox is directly in keeping with Microsoft’s strategy for all next-generation platforms, including Windows Phone (all versions) and Windows 8/RT, which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time.

Translation: Durango will work similarly to win phone and win8/rt - as if you always have an internet connection.
Comment: We know that the majority of the features on those items require an internet connection, but they still work offline.

Translation: Win8/RT and the phone do work offline, even though they are designed for always online - essentially they are always-online platforms.

But the apps platform on these systems—which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox—assumes a connection. Microsoft’s new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.

Translation: The apps on these systems assume that you have an internet connection. The apps on the Windows 8-based xbox will also assume a connection.
Comment: NOTHING IS ACTUALLY BEING SAID ABOUT GAMES. Only apps. The apps will be designed to work online.

So just like the phone can still make phone calls without an internet connection, and you can still use your windows 8 PC without an internet connection, the next Xbox will still have basic offline functionality, and one would logically assume that it can play games, although it does not specifically say so. The apps and some other features will work assuming you have an internet connection, BUT WE CANNOT CONCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT GAMES, though we can logically assume that games will at least work offline going by what he said.

THERE, you got it?

Pack it up guys. ultim8p00 has claimed the intellectual high ground. No point in arguing with someone who possesses such superior understanding. I for one feel suitably chastised and find myself rethinking not only this article, but everything I have ever known.

Seriously, does dismissing people like this ever work?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It does require constant checks at least when you look at the multi screen strategy, they could adjust the ping timing though if it becomes an issue
Which would make it a situational requirement, not a constant one. The rumors have consistently pointed toward the latter, not the former.

People are looking at the end game as Xbox as a hardware platform

I'm looking at it from the perspective that Xbox live is the platform and the Xbox itself is a feature rich access node
No, people are just saying that you can cater to the latter without having to completely abandon a legitimate, working offline solution that's been the baseline of this market for decades. You can build all the online services you like to extend that without any need to abandon it.

ekim

More to the point, I think that an always-on Xbox is directly in keeping with Microsoft’s strategy for all next-generation platforms, including Windows Phone (all versions) and Windows 8/RT, which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time. Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems—which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox—assumes a connection. Microsoft’s new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.

So are we talking about the same topic?

Edit: ah we already discussing this quote.

Uhh...What?

Here is the quote:

THERE, you got it?

Thurrott is drawing conclusions based on the strategy MS have been progressing towards with their other devices - he's not privy to any other information, solely that it 'must be internet connected to use', that an internet connection is required.

The quotes there are him simply suggesting that the new XBOX is the next step from those devices which merely assume an internet connection to run apps (but do work offline) whereas the next XBOX will replicate this but require an internet connection, not just assume. It's the next logical step of the strategy.

Fox Mulder

How will that happen when they've paid off all of the media? That's their PR department in attendance at their E3 panel, you know.

they'll give everyone in the audience a free console again and then announce the always online requirement during the cheers.

Garjon

A key part of his article is the phrase "I think" - he only uses this in the paragraph where he compares all of the W8 devices, whereas he states that the Xbox will be online only as a fact (or as close to a fact as possible). I could be reading too much into a poorly written article. And speaking of which, he comes off as incredibly condescending where he's talking about the people responding to Orth's tweets like he completely misses the point. That bit where he talks about Microsoft products being 'conduits' makes him sound like a PR shill so I hope no one minds if I take this guy's opinions with a grain of salt.

they'll give everyone in the audience a free console again and then announce the always online requirement during the cheers.

I'm willing to bet they don't announce 'always online' any more than leaving it open to more discussion. We're going to have to rely on industry insiders to break the truth on the 3-minutes issue or rely on the first 'day one' launch users information.

There is no benefit to announcing the "functionality" of a three minute disconnection. I mean it'll be obvious to most people that when they don't mention it that it's confirmed... then again...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Paul Thurrott said:
Folks, the next Xbox is going to require an always-on Internet connection.

I feel like I need to requote that line from the article. It doesn't get any more clear that that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, the articles says that NextBox REQUIRES an Internet connection, he mentions SimCity's outrage and he says that, while they work offline, apps on Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone require a connection, and that NextBox will replicate this part. App should be games too, so...if what's been said about his reliability is true...oh God

Besides...WHAT THE FUCK 500?!?!

madmackem

Xbox priced around 500, 300 for a subscription model? What?

Thanks for sharing this. Might be new thread worthy.

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! i shudder to think what that will be in real monies £££. Dear lord ms is going to have to come out swinging if they are going that high.

A key part of his article is the phrase "I think" - he only uses this in the paragraph where he compares all of the W8 devices, whereas he states that the Xbox will be online only as a fact (or as close to a fact as possible). I could be reading too much into a poorly written article. And speaking of which, he comes off as incredibly condescending where he's talking about the people responding to Orth's tweets like he completely misses the point. That bit where he talks about Microsoft products being 'conduits' makes him sound like a PR shill so I hope no one minds if I take this guy's opinions with a grain of salt.
He read documentation that simply said the console 'must be internet connected to use (it)', he doesn't know much outside of that, thus he states 'I think' when comparing with the other W8 devices because it falls in line with the strategy (online focus) that those devices are a part of.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, who's going to open a new thread about the 500 DOLLARS?!?!? thing? Or what if we just modify the OP here so it includes the podcast too and the 500 DOLLARS?!? Thing in the title, as well as the fact he says it REQUIRES Internet connection?

B.O.O.M

Guys just expect the worst, that way room for disappointment will be low. Heck if all this turns out to be false (yes pls) it will even make everyone happy! At this point thanks to multiple sources saying the same thing I am expecting the worst.

UberTag

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! i shudder to think what that will be in real monies £££. Dear lord ms is going to have to come out swinging if they are going that high.
$300 with a subscription with a $99 remodeled Codename Stingray X360 on the market at the same time and an early November release date following the May 21st unveil.

Thurrott in that YouTube video at just past the one hour mark...

"I look at all of the stuff I've seen about Durango and I think... it's all POSITIVE. Like, I don't really see any bad news here at all."

$300 with a subscription with a $99 remodeled Codename Stingray X360 on the market at the same time and an early November release date following the May 21st unveil.

Thurrott in that YouTube video at just past the one hour mark...

"I look at all of the stuff I've seen about Durango and I think... it's all POSITIVE. Like, I don't really see any bad news here at all."

Good news:
Probably no backwards compatibility
Always online to function
$500 without subscription

it's all POSITIVE.

/clap

BobLoblaw

Still waiting for official confirmation, but if this always online stuff is true, as a big Xbox fan, I'll be happy to skip their next console. This kinect/always online shit goes against everything I, as a 27-year gamer, stand against.

Garjon

He read documentation that simply said the console 'must be internet connected to use (it)', he doesn't know much outside of that, thus he states 'I think' when comparing with the other W8 devices because it falls in line with the strategy (online focus) that those devices are a part of.

So it basically confirms what we know and is just speculation after that. I mean, it's good to get another official source and that but his style of writing is not very pleasant.

Would you buy a bluray or dvd player that would only play movies if it was connected to the internet?

Please don't take my response personal but I'm tired of this argument. This product is anti consumer hands down. Its borrowed hardware. We cannot support such a product because it sets a business model that this is okay. I'm not buying it. Hands down. My job is now to make people aware of the issue at hand. The implications of this technology will have ramifications.

Your job? Who's paying you?

Still waiting for official confirmation, but if this always online stuff is true, as a big Xbox fan, I'll be happy to skip their next console. This kinect/always online shit goes against everything I, as a 27-year gamer, stand against.

I think you are not the only one, been looking at a few Xbox dedicated forums and they all seem to be saying the same thing.

ultim8p00

Banned
Your interpretation completely discards the clearest, most concise statement in the entire piece:

"Folks, the next Xbox is going to require an always-on Internet connection."

Remember this thread folks. When E3 comes around remember this thread. With that I'm out.

Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems—which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox—assumes a connection. Microsoft’s new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.

So you can still play games offline but in order to get the most out of it you need to be connected to the internet? If so its just like 360 then.

So it basically confirms what we know and is just speculation after that. I mean, it's good to get another official source and that but his style of writing is not very pleasant.

Yeah exactly that. And I agree, the article is awful, his youtube discussion is much clearer.

I'm sorry you missed my point entirely. Some of you are actually pissed off. Like, fighting mad right now. Over a product that hasn't even been announced. A product that hasn't come out yet. A product you have paid absolutely ZERO money for. Yet you're still pissed off.

Calm down, have a beer, kick your feet up. When it comes time, buy or don't buy based on what you know. That's all. It's pretty simple. I'm not currently pissed off at Microsoft because I don't know anything about the next console and I haven't paid any money out of pocket or have any vested interest in what it will be.

Your example isn't really the best one. When a person watches a movie they don't really care about online services. Yes we have bluray Live features (that I've never used) but even TV's now are having social features built into them. When someone plays games now on a console they are likely to be connected. To play with friends, to get updates, to be part of a subscription model like Xbox Live Gold or Playstation Plus or Miiverse. So don't start using archaic examples of DVD's to make any counter points, it's pretty ridiculous. Not many DVD players have wi-fi built into them or an Ethernet adapter anyways.

Also, why is it your job to make people aware? We don't even know the full details, yet you've already assigned yourself into a make-believe position. How much are you getting paid?

I'm sorry you missed my point entirely. Some of you are actually pissed off. Like, fighting mad right now. Over a product that hasn't even been announced. A product that hasn't come out yet. A product you have paid absolutely ZERO money for. Yet you're still pissed off.

Calm down, have a beer, kick your feet up. When it comes time, buy or don't buy based on what you know. That's all. It's pretty simple. I'm not currently pissed off at Microsoft because I don't know anything about the next console and I haven't paid any money out of pocket or have any vested interest in what it will be.

Welcome to the Internet.

Nibiru

Banned
Yeah, the article is worded really badly.

Watch this for clarification, he says 'must be internet connected to use'.

That was painful to watch. You can always tell when someone is shilling for a company or product. Hilarious when he says he was away and didn't know what was going on lol oh just remembered he happened to get all the details in January...

Then he laboriously attempts to give details all the while saying "i don't know what this means" "i don't have one," "All the games I play are online anyway."

Then he clinches it "when I look at all the stuff I am reading about Durango, It's all positive!"

LOLLMAO

So ya Paul Thurott and it looks like this Andrew Zarian are total shills or at at the very least want to ingratiate themselves with MS because that segment was one of the most disingenuous displays in tech journalism I have seen in some time.

Remember this thread folks. When E3 comes around remember this thread. With that I'm out.

Yeah, that will show them. How dare a community discuss the only information we have from multiple sources in the context of a heavily anticipated product! They'll have to eat all the crow in the world for Microsoft not announcing or communicating with their fan base.

Burn.

So you can still play games offline but in order to get the most out of it you need to be connected to the internet? If so its just like 360 then.

And there will be many more Destiny-style games that require an Internet connection, even for content that some will view as more single-player in nature.

It's not exactly consumer-friendly but publishers will be trying to do what they think protects themselves.

Lakitu

st5fu
Can't way to see how MS is going to spin this. Going to be fun, especially that I know for certainty I won't be buying it at any time.

FordGTGuy

Banned
That was painful to watch. You can always tell when someone is shilling for a company or product. Hilarious when he says he was away and didn't know what was going on lol oh just remembered he happened to get all the details in January...

Then he laboriously attempts to give details all the while saying "i don't know what this means" "i don't have one," "All the games I play are online anyway."

Then he clinches it "when I look at all the stuff I am reading about Durango, It's all positive!"

LOLLMAO

So ya Paul Thurott and it looks like this Andrew Zarian are total shills or at at the very least want to ingratiate themselves with MS because that segment was one of the most disingenuous displays in tech journalism I have seen in some time.

You sir have no idea what you're talking about at all.

Kotaku isn't the only one talking about Always Online.

Either he was responding to someone who brought up Kotaku or it was a general statement about all the website running the rumor-mill right now.

And there will be many more Destiny-style games that require an Internet connection, even for content that some will view as more single-player in nature.

It's not exactly consumer-friendly but publishers will be trying to do what they think protects themselves.

Destiny is a MMO-like experience and it makes sense that it is always-online.

I disagree. People should be able to talk about their expectations whenever they want. If there is any chance of influencing Microsoft's strategy people need to speak up now. For both their own and Microsoft's sake. The free market requires a free flow of signals to operate efficiently.

Can't way to see how MS is going to spin this. Going to be fun, especially that I know for certainty I won't be buying it at any time.

The only way they can spin this is by showing us a catalogue of software so compelling, a catalouge that we can't get anywhere else, that we won't give a damn that we need a constant connection.

And that isn't going to happen.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Paul Thurrott is Mr. Microsoft what are you talking about?

Paul Thurrott is one of the most critical speakers of Microsoft products that I know of. He doesn't make up things to hate on the products but he'll tell you the truth as he sees it and he won't hold back.

Flatline

Banned
Paul Thurrott is one of the most critical speakers of Microsoft products that I know of. He doesn't make up things to hate on the products but he'll tell you the truth as he sees it and he won't hold back.

So that pathetic damage control was the "truth"? Interesting, didn't know that.

Top Bottom