• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PC/Steam) |OT|

Zapages

Ys Origin felt like playing Prince of Persia crossed over into one game. Basically it felt like a hybrid of those two in the aspect that the traps were like PoP Like and you were going through a tower... But the Zelda like aspect was the whole game play of the whole game.

Eusis

...Are you comparing Link to Adol?
Just the idea of the removal (or temporary absence really) of an iconic character is reason enough to skip on a game whether or not it's amazing.

And $20, yeah, figured it'd be more expensive than Oath but this seems a price most of us can be happy with. Though I could've paid fully with my Steam credit if I didn't get Dear Esther, but that's a ridiculously minor issue.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
hmm never played mana.i played FF,zelda alttp,chrono

Well then it's kinda like Zelda on crack, with no puzzles. Basically, it takes place from a sorta overhead perspective, and you kill lots and lots and lots of shit. But it's fun, because the combat has a very addictive rhythm to it, and enemies explode into blood and gems when you kill them. It's sweet. If you like old-school games even a little, you'll probably love this.

Teknoman

$19.99???

$19.99!!!

iSzbsM3QCxkWc.gif

Scars of the Divine Wing is nuts.

ill probably check this out later. I just wish all these Ys games where not so similar ;/

So in this game it's select a dude and play and not quick swap like 7?

Dambrosi

Banned
Depending on how you look at it you technically didn't "dip" the first time. Just depends on how you see it I guess. I played the Groupon version and loved it, and am more than happy to buy it and support Falcom (and XSEED for an official localized version). I considered importing but couldn't justify the cost since the dollar is crap and the yen is strong.

But content-wise, I don't think there will be anything different apart from proper widescreen support. So apart from supporting the developer there's not a whole lot to gain.
Did you say "proper widescreen support"?! Sold!!!11!1

I always play Ys games windowed anyway, so makes no difference to me, just want to vote for Falcom/XSeed with my pound sterling

There are only three Ys games with sprites like that. Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, and Origin.
Bosses are the highlight of the series.

True... Idk all the ys games I've played in the last month felt kinda similar. Sue me xD

Still need to beat them. I kinda with they weren't so long.

Hype! Day One! Third Cliché!

Now I've got my fingers on maximum crossed for Ark of Napishtim.

Then we'll have official English (and more modern) versions of the "Holy Trinity."

Still need to beat them. I kinda with they weren't so long.
Um, what? Pretty much every Ys game not called Ys Seven is like under six hours. Eight max.

upandaway

Going through Seven right now so this has to wait. But I'm so in this game when I'm done there.

I've gone through Chronicles, Oath in Felghana and now Seven, and I & II Chronicles is still my favorite Ys game (I'm counting it as one). For a lot of reasons (maybe I'll make a LttP Ys Series thread or something later).

Volcynika

Having never played a Ys game and, given the times.. how much is this like Diablo?

Ys is not loot focused at all, there's no click click click everywhere to move (use arrows/controller/etc), no multiplayer.

There are very few parallels between the two.

Danny Dudekisser

Ys V is pretty lengthy but everyone except me hates it. :)

I never played V, but I do like the way it looks... even though most people seem to hate the visuals. I dunno, something about darker color palettes in SNES games builds a Darm Tower in my pants.

But they need to release Ark of Napishtim, Xanadu Next, Dinosaur Resurrection, Gurumin and Zwei II first.

I really, really want Xanadu Next. I don't know why. I just know that it looks radical.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Xanadu Next does have a funky bug that I know at least myself, Augemitbutter, and a couple others ran into. He got around it though, I haven't really tried but up until that bug I was really enjoying the game.

Hopefully that will be fixed in a Steam release. I'm sure if XSEED goes for more Falcom games that one will be on their list. It just seems like the sort of game that will resonate really well with western PC gamers.

Danny Dudekisser

I hope not. I really think Ima just play through with all the characters and then call it a day... at least for now. Too much other stuff I wanna play.

Aeana

I'm sure there will be at least one completely retarded achievement that will just take more tedious busywork and time than skill, like usual.

Top Bottom