• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Quiet on the Western Front Official Teaser Trailer

All Quiet on the Western Front tells the gripping story of a young German soldier on the Western Front of World War I. Paul and his comrades experience first-hand how the initial euphoria of war turns into desperation and fear as they fight for their lives and each other in the trenches. The film from director Edward Berger is based on the world-renowned bestseller of the same name by Erich Maria Remarque.

Last edited:
This looks ok. I saw the original film not long ago and it was pretty good. It goes on a bit but

WWI has always seemed a difficult war to make movies about but Paths of Glory and 1917 were both excellent. The last episode of Black Adder tops the lot for me though. I remember seeing it for the first time and struggling to hold back the tears. It still gets me even to this day.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Did Netflix produce this or purchased an already produced film? It doesn't have that netflix look to it (which is a good thing).

Konnor

Did Netflix produce this or purchased an already produced film? It doesn't have that netflix look to it (which is a good thing).

Yeah I was just going to say, the only negative I can find about this is that it's a Netflix movie . Hopefully they didn't produce it so that it has better chances to be good.

Durien

WWI has always seemed a difficult war to make movies about but Paths of Glory and 1917 were both excellent.
The one problem I had with 1917 is, beyond the beginning trench scene, it was very hard to tell what war it was. I went to the movie expecting a bunch of trench warfare and got a tourist view of Northern France. I didn't feel as ripped off as Pearl Harbor but I was kind of disappointed.

I watched the trailer for this and while I was excited, I saw it was Netflix and now I am cautiously optimistic. I wish they would have released it today instead of Monday.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If you can find it, the TV movie from 1979 with Richard Thomas and Ernest Borgnine is awesome and haunting.
I saw ages ago i caught bits of a WW2 movie at my grandads and it was in black and white but it had the most amazing cast and set prices it was made in the 40’s or 50’s i think. It had John Wayne and a load of famous British stars. You wouldn’t happen to have heard of it ?

Aurelius

I saw ages ago i caught bits of a WW2 movie at my grandads and it was in black and white but it had the most amazing cast and set prices it was made in the 40’s or 50’s i think. It had John Wayne and a load of famous British stars. You wouldn’t happen to have heard of it ?
The Longest Day?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Longest Day?
thank you so much :) going to watch this.
also the netflix movie it looks good.
1017 was a great movie about WW1

I think it's time for a list of the best WW1 and WW2 movies/series.

Saving private Ryan
Band of Brothers
the Pacific

are up there

Last edited:

Saving private Ryan
Band of Brothers
the Pacific

are up there
Leave that with me, I would love to do a list that covers both World Wars.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Leave that with me, I would love to do a list that covers both World Wars.
:) awesome I look forward to the thread.

hey EviLore EviLore and Mods, any chance we can get a saluting solid snake reaction emoji?... despite that being fucking tiiight tiiiiiight, I feel it would get much usage here on GAF.

Bye Bye Peace GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Last edited:

Saving private Ryan
Band of Brothers
the Pacific

are up there

Downfall
Casablanca
Schindler's List

:) awesome I look forward to the thread.

hey EviLore EviLore and Mods, any chance we can get a saluting solid snake reaction emoji?... despite that being fucking tiiight tiiiiiight, I feel it would get much usage here on GAF.

Bye Bye Peace GIF by Cappa Video Productions
Have gone through my collection and some other online lists and have about 50+ WW1 films picked so far, will do WW2 films either tomorrow or Monday as there are way too many WW2 films to go through.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Have gone through my collection and some other online lists and have about 50+ WW1 films picked so far, will do WW2 films either tomorrow or Monday as there are way too many WW2 films to go through.
woah, cool :)

are you doing them in a thread?
I look foward to the result

Stuart360

This looks ok. I saw the original film not long ago and it was pretty good. It goes on a bit but

WWI has always seemed a difficult war to make movies about but Paths of Glory and 1917 were both excellent. The last episode of Black Adder tops the lot for me though. I remember seeing it for the first time and struggling to hold back the tears. It still gets me even to this day.
Big Blackadder fan back then and yeah tht scene detsroyed me lol. Its shot and acted so well, surprisng for a relatively low budget 90's comedy show.
A poignant and perfect ending to the series.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
just finished the longest day, hell of a movie and considering no cgi back then the scale of the battles. amazing.
I understand it's a product of its time, but holy hell is it a good film.

really entertaining a great watch. it's just massive load of battle scenes.

Last edited:
just finished the longest day, hell of a movie and considering no cgi back then the scale of the battles. amazing.
I understand it's a product of its time, but holy hell is it a good film.

really entertaining a great watch. it's just massive load of battle scenes.

You should check out Waterloo, directed by Sergey Bondarchuk. No CGI as it was shot in 1969/1970, so they used the soviet army as extras.

Corian33

It’s quite good! If you read the book, you’ll be disappointed at the removal/changes of a few memorable scenes. Also I much prefer the ending from the book/original film. That aside, it’s one of the better war movies in years.

Never read the book but I watched this movie over the weekend. I planned on falling asleep to it since I started it at 2 am but I ended up watching the whole damn thing. I can't say it's one of my favorite war films but it was worth watching. I watched it dubbed in English and barely noticed.

Does it give you a better understanding of tactics, strategy, or politics?

Or is it a "war is hell, this is a 2 hour stylized nightmare" type movie?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Watched it Monday. Cinematography is off the charts incredible. Watch it for that.
Same here, absolutely loved how the movie looks.

It's a bit slow at times, but I think they do so to build up tension which is fine. Action heavy scenes, specially one towards the middle of the movie, are amazingly well done.

Could recommend to anyone who enjoys those kinda movies.

Last edited:

They should just turn Valiant Hearts into a movie. That story would be perfect for the Great War.

HoodWinked

i did not like this movie

the anti war messaging is beat over your head into concussion and filled with too much cartoonish situations and outcomes.

FunkMiller

This was excellent. A thoroughly well made adaptation, with some fabulous performances. Very much captured the horror and sheer fucking stupidity of the First World War - as much as anything can, and remain watchable.

i did not like this movie

the anti war messaging is beat over your head into concussion

All Quiet On The Western Front has anti-war messaging??????

My god!

When will this Netflix wokeism ever end!?

Last edited:

Flatline

Banned
Does it give you a better understanding of tactics, strategy, or politics?

Or is it a "war is hell, this is a 2 hour stylized nightmare" type movie?

The second one, the movie is soulless and kind of boring despite the good action. I don't know how Netflix does it every fucking time

FunkMiller

The second one, the movie is soulless and kind of boring despite the good action. I don't know how Netflix does it every fucking time

’Good action’?

Are you five?

And what exactly has Netflix done, apart from produce an extremely good adaptation of one of the greatest anti-war books ever written?

Maybe a WW1 movie starring The Rock, where he storms the Germans at Verdun, spouting cool catchphrases is more your level?

Last edited:

Flatline

Banned
’Good action’?

Are you five?

And what exactly has Netflix done, apart from produce an extremely good adaptation of one of the greatest anti-war books ever written?

Maybe a WW1 movie starring The Rock, where he storms the Germans at Verdun, spouting cool catchphrases is more your level?

WTF are you expecting me to say, it was boring despite having good action, yes. Everything else was boring as fuck because the characters were cardboard cutouts of war movie characters, the message was hitting over the head every 5 seconds without being anything deep or smart and the story and pacing felt disjointed as fuck. Haven't read the book but if it's as good as they say I suspect the Hollywood idiots writing the movie cut a crapload of character development and war politics from it and made it as simple as possible.

The movie can be summarized with this: They go somewhere, great cinematography, action, soldiers die, politicians pampered assholes, war bad. Next they go somewhere else, great cinematography, action, soldiers die, politicians pampered assholes, war bad. This goes on until the movie ends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom