• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Quiet on the Western Front Official Teaser Trailer

FunkMiller

WTF are you expecting me to say, it was boring despite having good action, yes. Everything else was boring as fuck because the characters were cardboard cutouts of war movie characters, the message was hitting over the head every 5 seconds without being anything deep or smart and the story and pacing felt disjointed as fuck. Haven't read the book but if it's as good as they say I suspect the Hollywood idiots writing the movie cut a crapload of character development and war politics from it and made it as simple as possible.

The movie can be summarized with this: They go somewhere, great cinematography, action, soldiers die, politicians pampered assholes, war bad. Next they go somewhere else, great cinematography, action, soldiers die, politicians pampered assholes, war bad. This goes on until the movie ends.

’War bad’

…as opposed to war good?

Go bang some action figures together and make pew pew noises, there’s a good lad.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The point is that is wasn't done is a subtle way, genius. I just had mentioned it in the first paragraph.
episode 8 thats kinda the whole point GIF

Have you seen Jarhead? That’s a good war is bad movie but this time they go the war is pointless route. But also bad.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Feels more like an exploitation/horror film than a war film, tbh. Which might be appropriate given the subject matter, but it still lacked an emotional and humanistic core, contrary to what I recall from the book. The political scenes were also overly simplistic. Soundtrack was out of place. Harrowing scenes, sure, but that’s all.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I watched it last week and forgot about it. I didn't care for it. It's pretty boring and not powerful at all, despite all of the hype I'd heard. I actually nodded off in the middle and was woken up by explosions or gunfire or something.

Anyone else watch The Bombardment on Netflix? All quiet on the western front was good and definitely worth a watch but The Bombardment left an incredible emotional toll on me. I saw it months ago and it's still on my mind.

Anyone else watch The Bombardment on Netflix? All quiet on the western front was good and definitely worth a watch but The Bombardment left an incredible emotional toll on me. I saw it months ago and it's still on my mind.

fetchimage

Edit: Already saw The Bombardment. I preferred All Quiet on the Western Front but Bombardment was well done too. Netflix has a surprising amount of quality nee war movies on it.

Last edited:

Raven117

Not saying anything about the movie, but WWI is truly horrific. WWII gets the most press, but...man....WWI, in the way they fought, is like end of times kinda stuff.

Top Bottom