• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

I'm ready for news of the $400 mid range phones like the Axon 7 successor, new OnePlus, and Honor 9. The LG G6 is almost in their price range already so that's a positive.

Jeffrey

How's Nougat on this?

Great. Fix most of the minor hiccups at launch. It's easily the best 'flagship killer' phone atm.

Also I think the only sd820 phone with loud true stereo speakers and a decent dac lol.

Camera isn't top tier is pretty much the only 'negative', but it's hard to criticize a phone that is like $300 which has better audio package than most top end phones. Also somehow supports daydream where tons of flagship priced android phones still don't lol.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Holy shit, $200 Note 5

I believe that Nougat has already been pushed to the Note 5. This is for a brand new Note 5 and it's covered under warranty. The Exynos 7420 is still a good processor.
Vanillalite, get this phone and wait for J8sus. If Pixel 2 is junk, you'll be solid for another year with 5ote.

limination

Neo Member
How's Nougat on this?

Great. Fix most of the minor hiccups at launch. It's easily the best 'flagship killer' phone atm.

Also I think the only sd820 phone with loud true stereo speakers and a decent dac lol.

Camera isn't top tier is pretty much the only 'negative', but it's hard to criticize a phone that is like $300 which has better audio package than most top end phones. Also somehow supports daydream where tons of flagship priced android phones still don't lol.

Def agree, the performance is stellar. I'm loving the audio, too. Camera seems slightly worse than my 5x but it's not a big deal.

It randomly rebooted on me while in my pocket about an hour ago, not sure if it installed an update or what. Android's updated and now I'm updating MiFavor.

It's not really a war when Apple is just getting warmed up so they can crush Qualcomm.

It would be hilarious is if this was why Apple was talking about investing $1 billion on domestic manufacturing, so they can just have robots make iPhones in the US and tell Qualcomm to continue fucking off.

Between this and Samsung nearly being done with moving all cellular modem development in-house, Qualcomm are so hilariously fucked that I can't even laugh because it's so sad.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I ordered my OP3 and got it in less than a week at launch. My first OP phone though, so maybe that isn't common?

Depends on how soon you got in and where. They were running on a 6 week backorder for like seemingly all of last year.

PS: J8sus coming in 2018 I can feel it. Already got the wifey go ahead to just to get an S8 after work tomorrow. Guess I'll get that free entertainment bundle shit they are giving, but Netflix is worthless to me.

No Love

Banned
Axon 7 just came in. This thing is slick. Killer display. OLED is so damn good

How's Nougat on this?

Yup really liked my Axon 7 but the camera is only truly good in good lighting. But yeah it's a badass phone.

Vanillalite

Omg LMFAO

I hadn't watched Floss's review of the S8 yet.

I'm dying over here. The STFU and strip club liquor reference. When he says the World Star Hip Hop Button. When he mentions the S6 Edge and says that shit damn near cut your fucking finger off.

Dude is soooo good.

Jeffrey

Depends on how soon you got in and where. They were running on a 6 week backorder for like seemingly all of last year.

PS: J8sus coming in 2018 I can feel it. Already got the wifey go ahead to just to get an S8 after work tomorrow. Guess I'll get that free entertainment bundle shit they are giving, but Netflix is worthless to me.

i have a feeling jesus phone will get the ipad retina treatment. replaced in a few months.

unless they get it out like... january, then it still has a 9 month window until jesus phone 2

Really, the only differences on the S2 V the S3 are mostly iterative. Faster CPU, bigger screen, bigger battery etc. The Gear S2 is more flexible than the Fit 2, but the Fit 2 is lighter.

If you went with an S2, I don't think you'd crave the S3 unless they stop updates for it.
S3 has MST too, so you can use Samsung Pay on most swipe readers.

I'm considering jumping from wearing a GearFit 2 and a Huawei Watch to just a Gear S3.

Bruh I'll take the Netflix off your hands.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
i have a feeling jesus phone will get the ipad retina treatment. replaced in a few months.

unless they get it out like... january, then it still has a 9 month window until jesus phone 2
I'd be shocked if it happened after they doubled down with lightning headphones. But I'd be thrilled.

Lightning is a nice connector. I understand why Apple wants to keep it. But it's a disappointing move overall, considering Mac compatibility. One cable to rule them all.

kaiyo

However, this isn’t the only camera change found in the Xperia XZ Premium’s camera. Sony has also re-designed the G Lens (25mm wide angle, F2.0) to improve the resolution in the corner of images. Sony says that the resigned lens has 25% better resolution compared to the Xperia XZ.

Sony has also enhanced the laser autofocus so that it works not only in low light conditions, but also in bright light conditions. Sony has confirmed that the autofocus speed is up to 50% faster in the Xperia XZ Premium versus the Xperia XZ. It seems that Sony has tweaked its algorithms to ensure images have less ‘white out’ when taking images at night. Overall, it’s great to see how Sony is trying to improve the camera outside of just slapping a new sensor into the phone.

https://www.xperiablog.net/2017/05/04/xperia-xz-premium-has-a-redesigned-g-lens-versus-the-xz/

HigXx

Really thinking XZ Premium will be a nice upgrade from my Z5, unless Google announce a sweet Pixel in the next month

Mindwipe

It's not really a war when Apple is just getting warmed up so they can crush Qualcomm.

It would be hilarious is if this was why Apple was talking about investing $1 billion on domestic manufacturing, so they can just have robots make iPhones in the US and tell Qualcomm to continue fucking off.

Between this and Samsung nearly being done with moving all cellular modem development in-house, Qualcomm are so hilariously fucked that I can't even laugh because it's so sad.

How would Apple building iPhones in the US solve this?

It wouldn't change anything about the number of Qualcomm patents in the 4G standards. Apple aren't in a strong position because they took an L and decided they didn't need to bother doing any work in standards groups because they're Apple and fuck standards groups. Turns out that means you have no patent representation so you're fucked.

C_EKqlSVYAAs71G.jpg

Vanillalite

They need to get a handle on the creeping price.

If it ends up being like $500 or some shit then they have more competition especially if the G6 keeps bombing.

12-year-old son's 2013 Moto X is no longer holding a charge, and the charging port is a mess. It had a good run, but time for an upgrade for him.

Thinking a Pixel is order, because I sure do love my Pixel XL. It's not like options on Verizon are all that great.

Jeffrey

12-year-old son's 2013 Moto X is no longer holding a charge, and the charging port is a mess. It had a good run, but time for an upgrade for him.

Thinking a Pixel is order, because I sure do love my Pixel XL. It's not like options on Verizon are all that great.
Moto z play

How would Apple building iPhones in the US solve this?

It wouldn't change anything about the number of Qualcomm patents in the 4G standards. Apple aren't in a strong position because they took an L and decided they didn't need to bother doing any work in standards groups because they're Apple and fuck standards groups. Turns out that means you have no patent representation so you're fucked.

Building iPhones in the US gets around an import ban, obviously.

Qualcomm's patents apply to the legacy CDMA2000 networks that Verizon and Sprint operate mainly, and both Verizon and Sprint anticipate shutting down their legacy networks within the next decade. Once the crap that Qualcomm has on patent is finally offline, there will be no further need for Qualcomm's modems and patents in the US and they will finally go and die as they see fit. I personally can't wait. CDMA2000 has been a huge albatross strangling US wireless networks for decades now.

Outside the US, where GSM and successors always dominated, there has never been a need for Qualcomm.

Well, one thing my phone is not doing better than my old phone is accessing work emails. Used to be I could go to my company's Outlook Web Access page and log in there. Now I get an error saying my browser, latest Firefox and Chrome, is outdated (and Internet Explorer from 2014 wasn't lol?)
I considered the app, but I don't want a cyanide pill for my phone just for the convenience of accessing work emails on mobile. I'll just put up with the ugly desktop site. Ugh.

On the upside, I've forgotten what it's like to have a new battery. It's lasting all day. And the drain is minimal when not in use. And having fast charge is such a dramatic change from before. Instead of being plugged in almost all the time, I'm plugged in about an hour throughout the entire day.

Building iPhones in the US gets around an import ban, obviously.

Qualcomm's patents apply to the legacy CDMA2000 networks that Verizon and Sprint operate mainly, and both Verizon and Sprint anticipate shutting down their legacy networks within the next decade. Once the crap that Qualcomm has on patent is finally offline, there will be no further need for Qualcomm's modems and patents in the US and they will finally go and die as they see fit. I personally can't wait. CDMA2000 has been a huge albatross strangling US wireless networks for decades now.

Outside the US, where GSM and successors always dominated, there has never been a need for Qualcomm.

It was awesome when every CDMA network in Canada dumped that technology simultaneously in 2009.

Vanillalite

Moto G5 Plus.

Performance is solid. Camera is solid. You won't break the bank. Plus I doubt your son needs NFC.

ElNino

Maybe I got lucky then. I ordered on launch day (just happened to be looking for a new phone that day) and it shipped out two days later (to Canada).

Top Bottom