• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 30 16.1%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 44 23.7%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 74 39.8%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 28 15.1%

• Total voters
First episode of the Nier Automata adaptaion came out. Really solid overall. I'm glad they kept the soundtrack and the CGI actually fits the machines a lot. It's also very pleasant to follow the story with the Japanese voice acting, that said I'm very curious to check out the English dub cause the voice actors did a tremendous job with this game.

Labolas

The Nier Automata anime is good but isn't the same as actually playing the game.
Man, Chainsaw Man is a disappointment.
What was disappointing about it? Because I didn't think that it was a bad adaptation of the manga, it follow all the story beats correctly, albeit a few changes here or there. Overall I thought it was fine.

The Nier Automata anime is good but isn't the same as actually playing the game.
Naturally, the anime cannot replace playing the game. Nier is one of those games that lose quite a bit when adapted to other media. But this is a nice bonus and personally I enjoy seeing the differences in scenes between the two mediums, which shots are taken straight from the game and which are nice additions. The liberties taken are quite interesting too, like when 9S hacks into the Goliath. I also think it’s a great breath of fresh air in the current anime landscape. But Automata ultimately works best as a game. I hope this anime compels some viewers to try the Nier games.

Chastten

Is there a must watch anime of 2022? Other than the new episodes of one piece.
My Dress-Up Darling, Spy x Family and Summertime Rendering are generally considered to be pretty good, at least within the cosplay community.

Anyways, I just started watching anime again last year after an almost 15 year hiatus. I used to be big time into anime as an IT student who'd just gotten a broadband internet connection in the early to mid 2000's but I kinda stopped watching anime around the time Code Geass and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya were the hottest thing in town. I lost interest then as pretty much every other show seemed to be random fanservice-filled harem kind of shit which I had grown over at that point. I still watched one or two shows each year, but that was mainly because I did a lot of cosplay photography and I needed to know what I was taking pictures of. Last year I finally decided to get back into anime again as after two years of Covid I was a bit done with gaming and I needed something new, and honestly, it feels great having so much years of shows to catch up with.

This weekend, however, I decided to dig up the remains of my old DVD collection for some nostalgia and oof, the feelings hit hard. Some of these shows seem to have been completely lost to time, and while some haven't aged all that well, to say the least, others are still as enjoyable as they were 20-something years ago. I'm kinda tempted to start a Blu-ray collection now just because I like looking at pretty boxart.

ZluzqEW.jpg

Last edited:
What was disappointing about it? Because I didn't think that it was a bad adaptation of the manga, it follow all the story beats correctly, albeit a few changes here or there. Overall I thought it was fine.
It picks up after episode 8 and becomes very good. I guess it takes a long time to really get going. A shame it’s after 75% of the season is done.

Doom85

Is there a must watch anime of 2022? Other than the new episodes of one piece.

Chainsaw Man, Spy x Family, Gundam: The Witch from Mercury, Bocchi the Rock, Lycoris Recoil, Call of the Night, Blue Lock, Ya Boy Kongming, Akiba Maid War, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, etc.

As well as the new seasons of Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan, Kaguya, Bleach, Mob Psycho 100, JoJo’s, Made in Abyss, Golden Kamuy, Komi Can’t Communicate, My Hero Academia, etc.

Honestly, with the amount of anime that comes out each year being far higher than it was 5+ years ago, I feel we’ve moved past the days of there being a definitive single “must watch” for most years to come. One could argue that was true for certain prior years, but I feel it’s going to become less and less common. Even if everyone has their personal #1 of the year (mine being Chainsaw Man), and even if all the fans were polled and a “definitive” singular must watch was decided, everyone having their own tastes means I doubt even the #1 pick would even technically have a majority vote.

Blue Lock is well written but that show has very little actual animation. A lot of still frames and bad CG.

Still one of the best first episodes in a long time.

Last edited:

Labolas

I'd be offended but you seem to like the Nier Automata anime which is pretty fucking bad. 🐻
You need a better definition of fucking bad if that's considered bad. And I like it, I don't love it which the key difference. I'm not claiming it as a masterpiece of a first episode.

There isn't anything resembling a dedicated thread for something this niche, so I guess I'm using this one.

Mahoutsukai no Yoru (Witch on the Holy Night)

It took 10 years for it to reach the West, but here it is.

I'm going to write my discussion post of this assuming you know what it is or have the capability to use Google, since the amount of backstory related to Mahoyo, it's long journey to a completed English translation, and the history of the Nasuverse could easily occupy a thread itself and I'm not interested in writing it all out. Most people only have experience of the Nasuverse through the anime adaptations of Fate properties, or even just FGO, so we're talking a lot of writing I don't care to do.

Mahoyo has the distinction of having being the first novel Kinoko Nasu ever wrote, so maybe it's fitting that it is now the first Type-Moon visual novel to ever be officially released in the West. There have long been fan translations of Tsukihime, Fate/Stay night, and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, but an English language fan translation of Mahoyo was never finished after numerous failed attempts. So for English speakers, this really is something of a miracle that even the most bitter TM fans should be thankful to FGO for. It's likely that this only exists because of FGO publisher Aniplex wanting it published outside of Japan, and we know it exists because they actually used the FGO translation team for this localization.

I want to mention this first, because this is unfortunately not a great translation. FGO players kind of know this already from the sometimes awkward English in that game, but it's even worse here. The fact an official translation script exists is already more than I could have hoped for in this lifetime, but that doesn't excuse it's issues. English grammatical errors are littered everywhere in this script and it's kind of annoying that they spent more time excessively localizing the script for Americans than they did fixing the numerous basic errors in translation. It would actually be nice if this English script were backported to the original PC version so the fan translators can correct the script's many problems. That said, I will give the FGO translation team due credit for sticking closely to the official glossary of TM terminology they were undoubtedly given and also using the same terms as FGO does. This is better than the currently ongoing fan translation of Tsukihime remake where in classic fan translator fashion they change the words for important terms because they think they know better than literally Nasu himself. People who know what I'm talking about will know what I mean when I first read the TsukiRe fan translation using the word "Source" instead of "Root" in that script. At least this Mahoyo translation doesn't fuck around with the already impenetrable TM terminology.

Alright, I got the complaints out of the way. So what we have here is arguably the best individual work from TM that Nasu has written. It was originally released in 2012, so despite being the first thing Nasu ever wrote, it was actually adapted to the VN format and released after Tsukihime, F/SN, and F/HA. It benefits from the refinements in Nasu's writing style that have occurred since the early days of TM, plus it's also interesting because it's written in the traditional third person perspective of a print novel instead of the more conventional first person perspective of most VN's, and also FGO.

Takeuchi fans will want to crucify me for saying this, but it's the art of Hirokazu Koyama that gets the nod for best art I've seen in a TM VN. If you also think Takeuchi's character art has gotten too samey in recent years, and this is clearly visible in the TsukiRe art where Arcueid looks exactly like Saber, Ciel looks exactly like Mashu, and Shiki looks exactly like Ritsuka Fujimaru, then you'll enjoy the different looking character art in Mahoyo. The art is great, and that's just the start. It's also the most animated VN I've ever read. Some of the action scenes are so animated that I legit wonder how ufotable can find a way to improve on this when they release the Mahoyo movie later this year. In terms of production values, it's the most over-the-top VN probably ever made and I'll never be able to read a VN again the rest of my life without thinking "Damn, this is so much worse than Mahoyo was." Even TsukiRe is clearly a tier below this one in terms of animations, and honestly I don't find the art of TsukiRe all that spectacular after looking at the art of FGO the last 7 years.

The music is also really amazing, main composer Hideyuki Fukasawa's soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in long time in any sort of media. This includes video games, anime, movies, and anything else. It's difficult for me to praise this soundtrack more highly other than saying really amazing so I don't have anything better add to that.

The voice acting added to this console-only remaster of Mahoyo features some big names, headlined by Haruka Tomatsu as Aoko and Kana Hanazawa as Alice, in addition to the primary male role of Sojurou anchored by Yusuke Kobayashi. All 3 primary protagonists are given great performances by their actors, these are all anime industry veterans and they know what they are doing. The cast of characters isn't particularly large in this VN, so you spend a lot of time listening to the 3 main characters and they are enjoyable to listen to the entire 25-30 or so hours you'll be hearing them.

If you are unspoiled on the story of Mahoyo, and this is certainly possible because as I mentioned it never got a finished English fan translation, then you're going to be in for one great ride. In terms of the narrative, it is a standalone story like Tsukihime. No prior knowledge of Nasuverse is required to read this, but if you have actually played FGO then you'll have a leg up when Nasuverse terminology comes along because FGO has exposed people who would otherwise be as completely lost as Sojurou is when Aoko starts into yet another 30 minutes long exposition about magecraft. This is something that Nasu just does, he'll bring the narrative right to a screeching halt for some lore dumping and he'll do it as naturally as you and I breathe oxygen. It's part and parcel of what the Nasuverse fundamentally is and you get used to it. Trust me when I say it's worth putting up with for the writing when things are actually happening. The reason why TM's VN's are so revered in the otaku community is actually because Nasu is a talented writer and I couldn't give less of a fuck what snooty weebs would say to such an honest statement of fact.

To sum up, if you do read Mahoyo, you'll be able to enjoy something that I can unironically say is a masterpiece of the art form. This may sound like damning with faint praise considering the VN genre, but I easily put it on the same high tier of quality of VN's like Steins;Gate that have also been released in the West. Mahoyo is really, really good. The story is good, the writing is good despite the dodgy translation work, the artwork is good, the animation is fabulous, and the music is amazing.

If you have played FGO, you are ready to read Mahoyo. It will feel immediately familiar as the story sections of FGO are already a VN. FGO just happens to have some light RPG battle elements interspersed to give you something to do with the gacha units you've rolled for. FGO players and Fate anime watchers will find this a very welcoming and completely enjoyable introduction to the rest of the Nasuverse. TM veterans and longtime fans, having only recently finished drying their tears of joy when TsukiRe was released, can finally wipe away yet another tear running down their cheeks as a completed English translation has finally been released after a decade of waiting. A ufotable animated movie adaptation of it is also going to be released later this year, so you can read through it while you wait for that.

Labolas

Still taking it slow with Rosen Garten Saga. It's pretty kino. The only thing that sucks about it is that it takes awhile for a new chapter comes out.
316670216_5662928613796838_4321615636250296884_n.jpg

306127470_5337416843050575_15858828757456349_n.jpg

316670216_5662928613796838_4321615636250296884_n.jpg

306127470_5337416843050575_15858828757456349_n.jpg

Last edited:

Labolas

Speaking of Spy X Family. I'm catching up on it, it's still fantastic. Anya remains to be my favorite character of the series.

Also Vinland Saga still awesome as well. Look forward to the new arc.

Manga wise

I've been reading Dandadan. I just got through chapter 30. It's a fun read so far. Art and WAIFUs are great. Story is stupid fun. I'm hopefully will be all caught up tonight

On the anime front going to start watching these pretty soon

Wonder Egg Priority
Summertime Render
Baccano!
Golden Kamuy
Legend of The Galactic Heroes Die Neue These

Doom85

Manga wise

I've been reading Dandadan. I just got through chapter 30. It's a fun read so far. Art and WAIFUs are great. Story is stupid fun. I'm hopefully will be all caught up tonight

I’m also done with Vol. 1, and Vol. 2 just came out this past week. It’s pretty good so far. The mangaka was an assistant to Fujimoto for some of Part 1 of Chainsaw Man, if you didn’t know.

Golden Kamuy

Well Done Reaction GIF

Now I’ve still only read the manga, and I know the anime‘s first season has some rough bits in the animation department particularly a certain CGI bear (actual bad CGI, not good CGI like Chainsaw Man or Trigun which just gets hate for being CGI at all regardless of quality), but the characters and story are a fun ride. You’re in for a treat.

GIF by Giphy QA

My personal 6th favorite anime of all time. Sorry, don’t want to hype it up too much, but I just love this one. Just note Episode 1 does start off slow and the non-chronological storytelling might throw you off at first, but Episode 2 hooks most people.

Also, not sure on your stance on dubs, but even most dub haters admit the Baccano! English dub kicks ass. And since some sub-only people use the argument that “it’s set in Japan, thus subs make more sense”, well most of Baccano! is set in the US (early 1930’s) so now the opposite is true for this particular show.

I’m also done with Vol. 1, and Vol. 2 just came out this past week. It’s pretty good so far. The mangaka was an assistant to Fujimoto for some of Part 1 of Chainsaw Man, if you didn’t know.

Well Done Reaction GIF

Now I’ve still only read the manga, and I know the anime‘s first season has some rough bits in the animation department particularly a certain CGI bear (actual bad CGI, not good CGI like Chainsaw Man or Trigun which just gets hate for being CGI at all regardless of quality), but the characters and story are a fun ride. You’re in for a treat.

GIF by Giphy QA

My personal 6th favorite anime of all time. Sorry, don’t want to hype it up too much, but I just love this one. Just note Episode 1 does start off slow and the non-chronological storytelling might throw you off at first, but Episode 2 hooks most people.

Also, not sure on your stance on dubs, but even most dub haters admit the Baccano! English dub kicks ass. And since some sub-only people use the argument that “it’s set in Japan, thus subs make more sense”, well most of Baccano! is set in the US (early 1930’s) so now the opposite is true for this particular show.

I'm up to date on Dandadan and Chainsaw Man. Instead of watching Golden Kamuy, I'm gonna be reading the manga pretty soon. Since your comments convinced me. Both Dandadan and Chainsaw Man are great but I think Chainsaw Man is the better manga.

So far both Dandadan and Chainsaw Man are great but I prefer Chainsaw Man

Chainsaw Manga SPOILER ahead.

Especially since it shows realistic depictions of manipulations by female towards males Especially with Makima. It was just refreshing to see. Also the manga gives good lesson to teach about not trusting anyone blindly. Personally I never liked Makima from the start and found her a bitch. I was right

Last edited:

Doom85

So far both Dandadan and Chainsaw Man are great but I prefer Chainsaw Man

Chainsaw Manga SPOILER ahead.

Especially since it shows realistic depictions of manipulations by female towards males Especially with Makima. It was just refreshing to see. Also the manga gives good lesson to teach about not trusting anyone blindly. Personally I never liked Makima from the start and found her a bitch. I was right

It also shows a contrast between:

her and Reze. Reze was raised and brainwashed as a child by the USSR and in spite of this she was able to develop genuine feelings for Denji despite this conflicting with her mission from her nation and she was even willing to abandon the mission altogether to run away with him. Makima herself was a victim of the Japanese government controlling her life, but once she had the opportunity to take control of the situation, she only used it to hurt everyone who ever showed her genuine kindness.

Makima’s whole argument against the Yakuza of “evil is only justified if our government is doing it” is also ripped apart as we see the Japanese government took her prisoner for most of her life, the USSR utilized child soldiers, and the American government sacrificed a year from all of its citizens on the chance they could defeat Makima. It shows that blind loyalty to any nation‘s governing power is foolish as inevitably some skeletons will be in any of their closets.

I will also say in Makima’s case I don’t think the gender is that relevant, as her tactics are much more of the grooming variety, which can be utilized by either gender against an unsuspecting minor. It also serves again as a contrast towards Himeno, who while drunk considered sleeping with Denji to help deal with her frustration at not making any progress romantically with Aki, but once sobered up is appalled by what almost happened and even befriends Denji not just to help herself but also him as well (since she would be unaware of Makima’s true nature).

It also shows a contrast between:

her and Reze. Reze was raised and brainwashed as a child by the USSR and in spite of this she was able to develop genuine feelings for Denji despite this conflicting with her mission from her nation and she was even willing to abandon the mission altogether to run away with him. Makima herself was a victim of the Japanese government controlling her life, but once she had the opportunity to take control of the situation, she only used it to hurt everyone who ever showed her genuine kindness.

Makima’s whole argument against the Yakuza of “evil is only justified if our government is doing it” is also ripped apart as we see the Japanese government took her prisoner for most of her life, the USSR utilized child soldiers, and the American government sacrificed a year from all of its citizens on the chance they could defeat Makima. It shows that blind loyalty to any nation‘s governing power is foolish as inevitably some skeletons will be in any of their closets.

I will also say in Makima’s case I don’t think the gender is that relevant, as her tactics are much more of the grooming variety, which can be utilized by either gender against an unsuspecting minor. It also serves again as a contrast towards Himeno, who while drunk considered sleeping with Denji to help deal with her frustration at not making any progress romantically with Aki, but once sobered up is appalled by what almost happened and even befriends Denji not just to help herself but also him as well (since she would be unaware of Makima’s true nature).

That's actually what I love about Chainsaw Man though. It shows all sides and its not preachy at all like most western entertainment has turned into

ACESHIGH

Banned
Not much of an anime fan I just binge watched the 4 rebuild of evangelio movies and thought they were utter trash.

Is there any streaming service or site that has golden age anime? Meaning 80s through mid 90s. Crunchyroll has modern anime and I don't like the artstyle or themes... way too much fanservice.

Stuff I enjoyed

Legend of the galactic heroes (my favourite)
Hokuto no ken
Saint Seiya (first anime I watched as a kid)
Rose of versailles
Evangelion OG series and movies.
Bubblegum crisis
AD Police

Basically late 80s early 90s OVAs are what I like the most.

Last edited:
Not much of an anime fan I just binge watched the 4 rebuild of evangelio movies and thought they were utter trash.

Is there any streaming service or site that has golden age anime? Meaning 80s through mid 90s. Crunchyroll has modern anime and I don't like the artstyle or themes... way too much fanservice.

Stuff I enjoyed

Hokuto no ken
Rose of versailles
Bubblegum crisis
AD Police

Last Exile
Paranoia Agent

Two of my favorite 2000 anime. I highly recommend it but it's not 80s or 90s anime

As for older anime

I recommend Robotech

Last edited:
I hope Im not breaking any rules here, did a photoshoot recently of an Otaku festival and now I noticed the characters you mentioned here were also being cosplayed. One thing that was a surprise for me was how many girls went for vtubers cosplay. Then I did a deep dive search into that and was like...how the hell did this vtuber explode in popularity in only 6 months lol. Anyway, here is the gallery :

0YeUIjb.jpg

Labolas

Stuff I enjoyed

Hokuto no ken
Rose of versailles
Bubblegum crisis
AD Police

https://www.retrocrush.tv

It's legit good and was one of my favorites last year.

Yeah I was surprised since the last anime I watched that people kept on Reccomanding me was Wonder Egg Priority. The Animation is fantastic but I found the story to be boring.

Compare it to Summer Time Rendering which has fantastic animation, everything is fantastic about it so far. I'm on Episode 3 and I'm really enjoying the Horror mystery that's been happening.

Baccano! Is the next anime I'm watching

Last edited:
I might do a rewatch of Last Exile. It's in my top 10 but I haven't watched it since it first came out. I forgot about the plot and characters. I'll see if there's a way to stream it

Chastten

I absolutely loved Summertime Rendering apart from the final 2 episodes. Just didn't like where the ending went, even though that's a problem I have with a lot of horror/mystery flicks. Other than that, it's fantastic. Loved the vibe of the show. The use of soundeffects was great and really gave the island an eery feel.

Just finished a couple of shows and movies that had been on my list for years or even decades: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (great!), Your Name (fantastic!), Laid-Back Camp (incredibly funny and wholesome) and Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (stupid name but interesting premise and actually quite good).

Last night I found out there is a remake of Fruits Basket so I started on that. Three episodes in and it's pretty darn good. Not sure yet how much of that is nostalgia speaking as I loved the manga and anime from 20 years ago, but we'll see. The first episode was really touching and does a great job of making you care about the MC and the following episodes pretty much set up the stage for the rest of the show. Looking forward to continuing this show tonight!

Also, between this and Urusei Yatsura, and even the Netflix Sailor Moon movie from 2 years ago, I'm really liking these reboots/remakes/whatever you wanna call em. I have a lot of nostalgia for a lot of old anime, but I'm not gonna lie, some of them are hard to watch these days. As long as they keep the spirit of the originals intact, I'm all for more modern reboots to re-introduce old IP's to modern audiences.

The_hunter

I absolutely loved Summertime Rendering apart from the final 2 episodes. Just didn't like where the ending went, even though that's a problem I have with a lot of horror/mystery flicks. Other than that, it's fantastic. Loved the vibe of the show. The use of soundeffects was great and really gave the island an eery feel.

Just finished a couple of shows and movies that had been on my list for years or even decades: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (great!), Your Name (fantastic!), Laid-Back Camp (incredibly funny and wholesome) and Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (stupid name but interesting premise and actually quite good).

Last night I found out there is a remake of Fruits Basket so I started on that. Three episodes in and it's pretty darn good. Not sure yet how much of that is nostalgia speaking as I loved the manga and anime from 20 years ago, but we'll see. The first episode was really touching and does a great job of making you care about the MC and the following episodes pretty much set up the stage for the rest of the show. Looking forward to continuing this show tonight!

Also, between this and Urusei Yatsura, and even the Netflix Sailor Moon movie from 2 years ago, I'm really liking these reboots/remakes/whatever you wanna call em. I have a lot of nostalgia for a lot of old anime, but I'm not gonna lie, some of them are hard to watch these days. As long as they keep the spirit of the originals intact, I'm all for more modern reboots to re-introduce old IP's to modern audiences.
I also recently watched The girl who leapt through time, I really liked what they were able to do with only three main characters and everyday backgrounds. It was a well executed movie.

Doom85

The Fire Hunter is really good so far. For those who don’t know, this is a fantasy/steampunk anime airing this season with the script being handled by Mamoru Oshii, AKA the director of the original Ghost in the Shell, and the directing is being handled by Junji Nishimura, who directed much of Ranma 1/2. In fact, looking at the staff, this seems to be a passion project from veterans of the industry, as quite a few of them have been working in anime for decades.

FGLCcqA.jpg

(only the basic plot set up below)
Basically, humanity was nearly wiped out a long time ago and upon their reemergence their bodies now can’t handle being around natural flame as they will instantly be set ablaze when near it. To make matters worse, deadly creatures called Fire Fiends now roam the lands. However, skilled individuals known as Fire Hunters hunt down these creatures and use their blood to produce a liquid flame that is safe for humans to use.

Touko is a young girl living in a small village when she wanders into the woods to seek medicine for her grandma but is attacked and a fire hunter saves her but at the cost of his life. He leaves her his hunting dog Kanata and his scythe. Fire hunters are revered by the people, and as Kanata is hostile towards everyone except Touko, she is tasked with returning the fire hunter’s dog and scythe to his family in the capital, and she sets off on a journey to reach it. Meanwhile, in the capital a young man named Koushi is struggling to take care of his sick sister as his mother passed and his father, who is a fire hunter, is away, but he is offered a chance to turn his life around.

It‘s a really interesting world and I love the vibe so far. Episode 1 was pretty much solid. My only gripe with episode 2 was a few editing and animation choices, they do in a few moments these comic-like panels to show multiple characters’ faces who would be at different angles within one shot but it doesn’t fit with this sort of tone IMHO. Also, these do these still drawn images occasionally which look nice but still throw off the pacing just a bit. Hopefully future episodes won’t do this much.

I feel this could be the overlooked gem of the season. Also, the OP is really great (especially the shot with the large tree and the birds), but holy shit the ED, damn this is gorgeous.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm finally tackling my anime backlog and first up was Komi can't communicate. I just finished binging it and the show was a lot funnier than I initially expected. I also didn't expect her to make so many friends during the show. I'm glad I finally had a chance to watch it.

Komatsu

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The Fire Hunter is really good so far. For those who don’t know, this is a fantasy/steampunk anime airing this season with the script being handled by Mamoru Oshii, AKA the director of the original Ghost in the Shell, and the directing is being handled by Junji Nishimura, who directed much of Ranma 1/2. In fact, looking at the staff, this seems to be a passion project from veterans of the industry, as quite a few of them have been working in anime for decades.

FGLCcqA.jpg

(only the basic plot set up below)
Basically, humanity was nearly wiped out a long time ago and upon their reemergence their bodies now can’t handle being around natural flame as they will instantly be set ablaze when near it. To make matters worse, deadly creatures called Fire Fiends now roam the lands. However, skilled individuals known as Fire Hunters hunt down these creatures and use their blood to produce a liquid flame that is safe for humans to use.

Touko is a young girl living in a small village when she wanders into the woods to seek medicine for her grandma but is attacked and a fire hunter saves her but at the cost of his life. He leaves her his hunting dog Kanata and his scythe. Fire hunters are revered by the people, and as Kanata is hostile towards everyone except Touko, she is tasked with returning the fire hunter’s dog and scythe to his family in the capital, and she sets off on a journey to reach it. Meanwhile, in the capital a young man named Koushi is struggling to take care of his sick sister as his mother passed and his father, who is a fire hunter, is away, but he is offered a chance to turn his life around.

It‘s a really interesting world and I love the vibe so far. Episode 1 was pretty much solid. My only gripe with episode 2 was a few editing and animation choices, they do in a few moments these comic-like panels to show multiple characters’ faces who would be at different angles within one shot but it doesn’t fit with this sort of tone IMHO. Also, these do these still drawn images occasionally which look nice but still throw off the pacing just a bit. Hopefully future episodes won’t do this much.

I feel this could be the overlooked gem of the season. Also, the OP is really great (especially the shot with the large tree and the birds), but holy shit the ED, damn this is gorgeous.

Intriguing. I'll add this to my watchlist. I'm down for Oshi. I wish Yoko Kanno was still active in anime. Seems like something she would have scored back in the day.

Last edited:

Labolas

Zom 100 looks fun and I recommend checking out the manga as well and I legit laughed at his reaction of a zombie apocalypse.
iu

Viz108

Neo Member
Watching Big O right now, very chill mystery anime. Not sure if the mecha was really necessary, but the fights are all pretty action-packed and well-animated. I'm about halfway through right now so not sure how many of the mysteries of its world it's going to explain or just leave open-ended, but it has a very cool vibe nonetheless.

Labolas

Watching Big O right now, very chill mystery anime. Not sure if the mecha was really necessary, but the fights are all pretty action-packed and well-animated. I'm about halfway through right now so not sure how many of the mysteries of its world it's going to explain or just leave open-ended, but it has a very cool vibe nonetheless.
I recommend Ergo Proxy if you like the mystery aspect and the moody atmosphere of Big O.

Top Bottom