• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 30 16.1%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 44 23.7%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 74 39.8%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 28 15.1%

• Total voters
Nier Automata v1.1a (1-3)

I have played both Automata and the Replicant remaster. If you haven't played these games, you have only yourself to blame.

This show seems to be taking the same approach as Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia, that is, anime-onlies can fuck right off. I sincerely doubt anything here made any sense to you if you haven't played the games. Which is why you should play the games.

If you have played the games, well this was pretty amazing. The moment the music started was amazing. They brought back all the game's voice actors so it just sounded right. The art looks exactly right and feels the same as the games. Apparently, and this is kind of hilarious, they used the same CG models from the games which were provided to them by Square-Enix. So the CG looks exactly like the games, because it's literally the same models.

The first episode follows the opening of the game closely, then starting with episode 2 and continuing into episode 3 we get some added anime original content which is not in the games. Because this is Yoko Taro we're talking about, I would expect the story to start diverging from the game at some point and we'll end up with some completely new anime original ending.

Unfortunately it seems like we're going to getting a new bad ending for this show, it's Ending [C]ovid and production is now delayed indefinitely. Just another day in everything being outsourced to China I guess.

Last edited:
I’ve watched the Junji Ito anime shows and enjoyed them. I’ve watched Devil Man but am really looking for horror and am having a hard time finding horror anime. Any recommendations? Everything I can seem to find has horror elements but is mostly something else.

Watching Big O right now, very chill mystery anime. Not sure if the mecha was really necessary, but the fights are all pretty action-packed and well-animated. I'm about halfway through right now so not sure how many of the mysteries of its world it's going to explain or just leave open-ended, but it has a very cool vibe nonetheless.
The mechas are at the core of the mysteries and lore, they are necessary. One of my favorite mecha shows, very unique world, character designs, aesthetics and vibe. It’s inspired by the Batman animation show if I remember correctly.

Viz108

Neo Member
The mechas are at the core of the mysteries and lore, they are necessary. One of my favorite mecha shows, very unique world, character designs, aesthetics and vibe. It’s inspired by the Batman animation show if I remember correctly.
I was just thinking that this reminded me a ton of the Batman animated series. Something about the muted tones and the angularity of the character designs I guess.
Also yeah, I've just gotten to the point where the mechas/Megadeuses start to play a bigger role in the story.

Labolas

I did not know that Gannibal got made into a live action tv series. I remember reading the manga when it was in its infancy. Saw the first episode and it was pretty good. Planning to go watch the rest of the episodes.

Gannibal for those that don't know is that follows a police officer and his family moving to a remote town of cultish cannibals.
iu

I watched the first episode of Records of Ragnarok season 2 and it’s as enjoyable as the first season. I really like Hercules’ character, partly due to him having Kamina and Diavolo’s voice. However I find myself cringing at the psycho expressions that the characters make too often and the long-winded explanations and comments.

Doom85

My friends and I binged all of Way of the House Husband Season 1 this past Saturday. Holy shit, this was a fun show.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just watched Fate/Grand Order THE MOVIE Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot Wandering and Fate/Grand Order THE MOVIE Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot Paladin. Now I'm glad that I waited so long to see them so I could watch them back to back. I highly enjoyed those.
(available on amazon prime video)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Next up in my backlog was Sound! Euphonium: The Movie - Our Promise: A Brand New Day. I enjoyed it a lot and the animation (and music) was great as expected. Makes me miss playing the euphonium myself back in school.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Continue with my anime backlog, I just finished Fate Extra: Last Encore. I thought it was amazing and really enjoyed it. I was surprised to see that it had so many disappointing reviews afterwards. To me it feels like a mix between Fate and Evangelion. Very different than all of the other fates and also very memorable. Gorgeous animation, great music, fantastic characters, and a plot that felt very mysterious and intriguing the entire time with me wondering what as going to happen next.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Last night I watched Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway. It was good and the animation was awesome but it felt like it was over as soon as it got going. I guess there's going to be a sequel at some point.
I just finished watching Violet Evergarden a few minutes ago and THESE FEELS! That was such a heart warming, good show. I had no idea it would be so touching. Next I'm watching the special and then both movies.

edit: So I watched the special episode and both movies too. That last movie finally got me to cry. I didn't expect this series to be this good. Oh man.

Last edited:
Last night I watched Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway. It was good and the animation was awesome but it felt like it was over as soon as it got going. I guess there's going to be a sequel at some point.
I just finished watching Violet Evergarden a few minutes ago and THESE FEELS! That was such a heart warming, good show. I had no idea it would be so touching. Next I'm watching the special and then both movies.

edit: So I watched the special episode and both movies too. That last movie finally got me to cry. I didn't expect this series to be this good. Oh man.

Maaaaaan that anime depressed me especially when she
finds out what that guy meant when he told her "I love you" before he died

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished watching Fate/Grand Order Final Singularity Grand Temple of Time: Solomon.
That moment like Avengers End Game where all the servants showed up at once was awesome. It made me realize how many favorite characters I had and how much I enjoyed the entire Fate Grand Order journey.
Another amazing show. I'm looking forward to seeing where Fate goes next. :)

Viz108

Neo Member

Violet Evergarden's a real tearjerker, and it's all animated so beautifully to boot. The special and movies are on my watch list as well.

Labolas

Catching up on the Gannibal tv show. It's playing itself relatively close to the manga, outside a few minor changes. I will say I think I still prefer the manga because the characters all look like they have more of a harder edge to them. It's a shame too because the manga is really good so far but it doesn't have an official English translation and the fan translation is criminally behind (like most seinen manga I read).
iu
iu

Speaking of good art, I read a couple chapters of Reincarnation Colosseum, easily the best things about the manga are the art and female characters. And man, does have that in spades. I will say though I can see this being more popular than Rosen Garten Saga and get an official translation because of its genre but I think that RGS is a better manga overall. Recommended for the ecchi readers.
iu
14d6a7e77d96f6a455c5c464d6919710.jpg

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Just watched When Marnie Was There.

Simple but beautiful movie.
You guys should put aside all the loli and waifus and watch a real animation with realistic women/girls for a change.

Heh, what a bunch of virgins

Chastten

Honestly, it's pretty amazing how tastes change. 20-25 years ago when I first started anime, I would've never given any of these movies the time of day. As a teenager I wanted waifu's and fanservice, over-the-top action and stupid comedy, not realistic stuff about friendship, loneliness, bullying, suicide, disabilities and all that stuff.

Right now though, these are some of the best movies I've seen in a long time, animated or otherwise. I've been watching all of these in the past month or so and some of them completely emotionally broke me for several days.

QCUTIq9.jpg

I Want To Eat Your Pancreas

y8Ne3oR.jpg

A Silent Voice

c2dPDlA.jpg

Weathering With You

JiyJ3Ml.jpg

Your Name

o94l0XO.jpg

Josee, the Tiger and the Fish

Now, I know full well these are all very well known movies within the anime community and I'm not really saying anything new here, but whatever, just wanted to get it out. All of these are great movies, with emotional and realistic stories, little-to-no-fanservice, great soundtracks and they look amazing. I have several more movies lined up to watch in the next month from some of these same creators, including Garden of Words, 5 Centimeters Per Second and Liz and the Blue Bird so we'll see what those bring.

Sdke2PM.jpg

For now though, I've started with Orange, which seems to be another emotional rollercoaster. I'm just 3 episodes in, but it's pretty darn good so far.

So aparently we will be getting a new racing anime this year: Hi - Drivers. So far they only released a music video to promote it lol but this guys summarizes it well.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Reminder that Miyazaki was one of the first-gen 20th century waifu connoisseurs

A8CxvDV.png
To add to that:

“When I saw Hakujaden,” he said, “it was as if the scales fell from my eyes; I realised that I should depict the honesty and goodness of children in my work […] With that as my starting point, I have spent the last 20 years trying to do this.”

Meanwhile, otakus and weaboos make sure to insert all of their loli fetishes in their creations. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

To add to that:

“When I saw Hakujaden,” he said, “it was as if the scales fell from my eyes; I realised that I should depict the honesty and goodness of children in my work […] With that as my starting point, I have spent the last 20 years trying to do this.”

Meanwhile, otakus and weaboos make sure to inserts all of their loli fetishes in their creations. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Loli is best WAIFU 👌

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally got around to subbing to HiDive and then proceeded to watch all 18 available episodes of Danmachi season 4 today. This season is great and I can't wait to see what happens next. I don't think the series has ever had a situation so dire before. Unfortunately to watch the rest of the season I'll need to wait for the weekly episode releases though. I also watched the Danmachi Arrow of Orion movie today (didn't even know it existed) and really enjoyed it, then also watched all 3 OVAs.

Tomorrow I'll be catching up on Girls Und Panzer. I've seen the original TV series but I never saw the OVAs or the 3 part finale so I'm looking forward to that.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally got around to watching the rest of Girls Und Panzer. I got to the end of the 3rd das finale film and was shocked to discover that 3 more episodes are planned. I thought the tank battles were far too long and it feels like they're just stretching it out.

edit: Now I'm currently watching Urusei Yatsura and enjoying it. The show is funny, the art style is gorgeous, and the music is catchy. The art has an old school look but is modern at the same time, intentionally due to the fact that this is a remake. I've never seen the original but I'm liking this.

edit 2: The OP and ED of Urusei Yatsura are so good:

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I finally got around to watching the rest of Girls Und Panzer. I got to the end of the 3rd das finale film and was shocked to discover that 3 more episodes are planned. I thought the tank battles were far too long and it feels like they're just stretching it out.

edit: Now I'm currently watching Urusei Yatsura and enjoying it. The show is funny, the art style is gorgeous, and the music is catchy. The art has an old school look but is modern at the same time, intentionally due to the fact that this is a remake. I've never seen the original but I'm liking this.

edit 2: The OP and ED of Urusei Yatsura are so good:

I really want to watch this. It's weird that Crunchyroll doesn't have it. I guess I'll check hulu when I get off work.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I really want to watch this. It's weird that Crunchyroll doesn't have it. I guess I'll check hulu when I get off work.
It's on HiDive. I had never heard of the site until recently but after using it a few days I like it nearly as much as crunchyroll pretty much.

Today's update: I gave Call of the Night and Akiba Maid War a try but dropped both after the first episode. I just wasn't feeling them.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Started watching Spy x Family part 2 of season 1 today and the show is just as funny as I remember. The new OP and ED are much better than the old ones imho. This is one of those shows that I'd highly recommend to someone who wants to watch anime for the first time but isn't sure where to start.

edit: Next I finally got a chance to watch Liz and the Blue Bird. It's a spin off of Sound! Euphonium! but several of the main characters make appearances at times. It's a movie about friendship and I'm glad I finally had a chance to watch it. The music is great as you would expect from this series and the animation is a bit different/unique from the regular series. It has more of a 3d look imho for the main parts of the story.

edit 2: Today I finally watched Gundam The Witch from Mecury. It's interesting so far but it also kinda has me wishing we get older characters in the next main series. Still though, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the season continues in April. The gundams we've had so far have been cool and I want to know more about why the mom wears the mask now, why her hair color is different, and whether she's the actual villain of the story.

edit 3: Next I got caught up on Nagatoro. Just as funny as always.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I started watching rent a girlfriend part 2 yesterday and it’s still entertaining, though much more complicated than real life would be but that makes it funny. I think the OP from the first part of the season is better but the new one is still good too.

Edit: just finished rent a girlfriend. That ending was a lot more touching than I expected it to be. I enjoyed the ride of season 2 a lot and I’m glad season 3 has been confirmed.

Edit 2: Next today I started watching Bocchi the Rock and it's really funny. I've only seen the first 3 episodes so far but I'm already a fan of the show.

Edit 3: I finished Bocchi the Rock and that's one of the best first seasons of a show that I've seen in a long time. Multiple times it had me laughing so hard that I got the hiccups. I hope it can get a season 2. Almost makes me want to pick up a guitar myself lol.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Continuing the binge of my anime backlog, next I started watching Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out. It reminds me of Nagatoro and I'm enjoying it so far (4 episodes in). It's hilarious how the restaurant boss and his daughter get amusement out of watching them carry on as well lol. Kinda makes me miss my community college days slightly.

Also, question - after this I was planning to watch Sailor Moon. Specifically, Sailor Moon Crystal. Is Sailor Moon Crystal just a modern version and it's fine to just watch that without the original to understand the story, or do I need to watch the original And crystal to get a good picture of the overall story? Are there really 200+ episodes?

Last edited:

Chastten

Also, question - after this I was planning to watch Sailor Moon. Specifically, Sailor Moon Crystal. Is Sailor Moon Crystal just a modern version and it's fine to just watch that without the original to understand the story, or do I need to watch the original And crystal to get a good picture of the overall story? Are there really 200+ episodes?

Yeah, you can just watch Crystal without ever having seen any of the original seasons or movies. It's a reboot designed to more closely follow the original manga.

It's artstyle is ugly as fuck though. It took them until the 2-part movie (Sailor Moon Eternal) that follows after Season 3 to get the artstyle good again.

manfestival

Got around to watching some of the anime I put on the backburner.

Gundam Witch of Mercury: Struggling to finish this show. I was really into it for the prologue episode(which was fantastic) but the show just... doesn't have any of that magic. I am on episode 11 but really not liking the characters, setting, or overall premise. Real shame cause the mecha design is neat as always. Had a long conversation with a good buddy of mine that watched the show and felt disappointed as well.
Vinland Saga S2: Enjoying this one so far. Watched up to episode 6 so far and while it isn't quite the hard hitter that s1 was. It is clearly setting up something and I am entertained.
My Hero S6: Yeah this show is approaching favorite of all time shows. Maybe it hit that for me a long time ago with that first Plus Ultra. Can't wait to see more every week. Will be sad when the season is over.
Chainsaw Man: Waited forever for this show because of the hype. Watched it all pretty quickly and enjoyed my time. Now to wait for another eternity for this to have more.

Loving the second season of record of ragnarock.

Shonen fighting tournaments are my shit.
Does it have animation this time or?

I used to read the manga but lost interest in the second to latest fight.

Nick Tesla is fighting Beelzebub right now.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today I finished Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out and then watched SAO Progressive Aria of a Starless Night. I ended up really enjoying Uzaki and I'm hoping we get a season 3 at some point. I guess it will be a while though since I hear the anime is nearly caught up to the manga. SAO was awesome and it was interesting to see the updated storyline along with the new visuals. Now I'm hyped to see the next Progressive movie but I don't really go to theaters anymore so I'll wait until it's available on Crunchyroll like the other movies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Have the Crunchyroll buffering issues gotten worse lately? I'm trying to watch a movie and the connection is so bad. It can't even hold a constant connection if I drop it from 1080p to auto, yet 4K youtube plays fine.

edit: I just switched to the ios app and was able to watch it there fine. Strange.
(rewatched SAO Ordinal Scale)

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
This season of Danmachi is exactly what I've been wanting. We finally get to see just how ruthless the deep floors are. The art style of this show is amazing too. Every week I'm left hyped and craving the next episode. So good.

Top Bottom