• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

MisterNoisy

Bumping to both revive this discussion and say that that new Savage 93 is a freakin' tack driver. I put a 3-12X scope on it and once I had it zeroed, I proceeded to punch a quarter-sized group at 100 yards. I blame the size of the group on the fact that I haven't fired a rifle since I was 12 years old. :D

Pops is in town again too, so I'm taking a day off from work on Friday to go back and see if I can do better. :) His .454 Raging Bull finally arrived too (he ordered it in September!), so that should make for some entertaining shooting as well.

Neverfade

I just made my first handgun purchase today.

Got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum.

I have a few questions; if any experts/owners wouldn't mind answering, please shoot me a PM.

Neverfade said:
I just made my first handgun purchase today.

Got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum.

I have a few questions; if any experts/owners wouldn't mind answering, please shoot me a PM.

You should ask here to keep the thread alive. :) Oh yeah and give us some pics!

Anyway, just friday my house was called by the pistol license bureau and that usually means within 2 weeks I will have my pistol license. Cant wait. :D

Neverfade

Well, my question was just for a primer on ammo. I'm kinda clueless on that front.

What grain do I want for plinking around at the range? Should I stick to .357m or use .38 special?

Also, here it is:

blackhawk.jpg

Willectro

Banned
Nostalgic Nightmare said:
I've always wanted an AR 15 but it's becoming clear that I can't afford it.
I'm starting to look at AKs but I really don't know what variant to get.
All I know is I want something thats cheaper to shoot if possible, but I don't think 7.62x39 is that much cheaper than .223.
I hear the 5.45x39 is cheap and as accurate as .223
I can't decide........

If you can find a gun that you like that shoot's 7.62x39, it is far cheaper to shoot than .223 (at least in Canada). You can get cases of czech mil-surp ammo, 1100 rounds on stripper clips for +-$200. The only catch is that it is very corrosive and require the gun to be cleaned after every session to prevent damage. The great part is that there are several guns that are dirt cheap (Tula SKS's, CZ858, etc) that are fun to shoot. Has to be mil-surp since the primers tend not to fire from Mini-30's, etc.

will52 said:
If you can find a gun that you like that shoot's 7.62x39, it is far cheaper to shoot than .223 (at least in Canada). You can get cases of czech mil-surp ammo, 1100 rounds on stripper clips for +-$200. The only catch is that it is very corrosive and require the gun to be cleaned after every session to prevent damage. The great part is that there are several guns that are dirt cheap (Tula SKS's, CZ858, etc) that are fun to shoot. Has to be mil-surp since the primers tend not to fire from Mini-30's, etc.

Yep that's pretty much what I ended up doing. Got a Bulgarian AK74 (5.45x39) Bulgarian Receiver and Barrel (Chrome Lined).
Here it is out of the box
9a3ckh.jpg

Here it is after a refinish of the wood.
nqs9b7.jpg

302x36b.jpg

Also Got a spam can of russian surplus 1080 rounds for $140 shipped
a545x39C.jpg

Neverfade said:
Well, my question was just for a primer on ammo. I'm kinda clueless on that front.

What grain do I want for plinking around at the range? Should I stick to .357m or use .38 special?

Also, here it is:

blackhawk.jpg

For range, go with .38 as it should be a bit cheaper, plus your hand will feel it after shooting all 357 with wood grips.
Nice gun!

Az

Zyzyxxz said:
made of wood and the Russians built so many and the design was rather simple. Great rifle from what I hear, especially for the price. I'll probably pick one up in the future.

I'm really warming up to the S&W MP 15-22, at only $500 MSRP its a great price for an AR platform plinker.

MP15-22.jpg

I am also really interested in one of these S&W. Saw it for $399 at a local store. It would be my first gun so is there anything I should know about it? Also I live in Florida, how bad are the gun laws here?

TheAzRim said:
I am also really interested in one of these S&W. Saw it for $399 at a local store. It would be my first gun so is there anything I should know about it? Also I live in Florida, how bad are the gun laws here?

I'd recommend for anyone interested in getting a gun to
1. Go to their states Government website
2. Visit their local police department and ask for information

The reason is, while the state might have certain laws, your township/city will usually have others. It's good to know and practice these for obvious reasons. Chances are the PD will have the state laws as well. All PD's should give you this info without asking for any ID etc, and will provide free gun locks as well.

Thanks!
I hope to have a range report soon, but have not yet fired it. So long as its good within a few hundred yards, im fine with it. I'm just going to shoot old cans,fruit, junk, etc :lol

MisterNoisy

Neverfade said:

Also, here it is:

** pic snipped **

Nice Blackhawk! I'll second the recommendation for .38 Spl FMJ over .357 if you're just shooting at the range - if nothing else, it's cheaper to shoot.

Lionheart1827 said:
Anyway, just friday my house was called by the pistol license bureau and that usually means within 2 weeks I will have my pistol license. Cant wait.

Great news! :D

Beginner here.

Thinking about going to a range. I think the guy on the phone said I could rent a 22 for 10 dollars. He said most people have their own.

Speaking of that... When my dad became a home owner his uncle gave him a GLOCK. In Tennessee it seems you don't need to have a permit to buy a gun and don't need to register the gun. From what I can tell at least. If I got a carry permit, is it legal for me to use that gun in a range? I live with him. How is it for a beginner anyway?

half a moon said:
Beginner here.

Thinking about going to a range. I think the guy on the phone said I could rent a 22 for 10 dollars. He said most people have their own.

a 22 is basically one step up from a bb gun. You're not going to be very satisfied. Idk much about gun rules and stuff, but you should really try to bring something else.

yo! yo! I'm looking to added a 357 snubby to my collection suggestions.
half a moon said:
Beginner here.

Speaking of that... When my dad became a home owner his uncle gave him a GLOCK. In Tennessee it seems you don't need to have a permit to buy a gun and don't need to register the gun. From what I can tell at least. If I got a carry permit, is it legal for me to use that gun in a range? I live with him. How is it for a beginner anyway?
If you are nervous about power and kick back, don't be, shoot at least A 9mm it's like nothing.

MisterNoisy

practice02 said:
yo! yo! I'm looking to added a 357 snubby to my collection suggestions.

Ruger SP101? They're built like tanks and not terribly expensive.

half a moon said:
Beginner here.

Check your local laws, but unless it's stolen or been used to commit a crime, I can't see why you couldn't use that at the range. It's not like they're going to check the gun's SN when you get to the range anyway.

A .22LR is a great gun to have, if only because ammo is dirt-cheap and it's still challenging/fun to shoot. I agree with the previous poster that you may also want something in a bigger caliber eventually, though - 9mm is a good choice because ammunition is pretty cheap and plentiful - I get mine for $9.99/50.

half a moon said:
Beginner here.

If you're looking to get into shooting, I would actually recommend a .22. Yeah like somebody said its not very satisfying, but it will help you learn the basics of shooting and aiming, trigger pull, etc etc. Plus the ammo is like 15-20 bucks for 500 rounds. After awhile, you may want to get into bigger calibers like .270, .308, etc(aka the manly guns).

You should be able to shoot that glock at any range unless theres laws restricting only the owner of the gun to shoot it so look into it.

stldave2

Lionheart1827 said:
You should be able to shoot that glock at any range unless theres laws restricting only the owner of the gun to shoot it so look into it.

This. Personally I've never heard of a state that requires you to be the owner of the firearm in order to use/carry it. I'm not saying there ISN'T a state out there with draconian requirements such as this, but I certainly haven't heard of them. As long as you abide by laws for possession/transportation you should be good.

Lionheart1827 said:
If you're looking to get into shooting, I would actually recommend a .22. Yeah like somebody said its not very satisfying, but it will help you learn the basics of shooting and aiming, trigger pull, etc etc. Plus the ammo is like 15-20 bucks for 500 rounds. After awhile, you may want to get into bigger calibers like .270, .308, etc(aka the manly guns).

Yeah, that's a good point. The 22 is what my grandfather trained me with when I was a kid. Thinking about it I guess it is a good starting rifle.

Hari Seldon

half a moon said:
Beginner here.

You don't need a permit to take it to the range lol. This is America not Euroland. You only need a concealed permit to carry it concealed in like the mall and shit. Just keep the gun in the trunk of your car UNLOADED and you are g2g. Don't put the gun in the glove box.

Hari Seldon said:
You don't need a permit to take it to the range lol. This is America not Euroland. You only need a concealed permit to carry it concealed in like the mall and shit. Just keep the gun in the trunk of your car UNLOADED and you are g2g. Don't put the gun in the glove box.

Believe it or not, there are some states like mine (NY) that it is illegal to even TOUCH a pistol without a license, and even if you HAVE a license, its illegal to be in possession of a gun that isnt on your license. Tennessee most likely doesnt have this crappy limitation, but its worth noting. :)

IN OTHER NEWS, Iowa is supposedly becoming a Shall issue state! Congrats any Iowans out on GAF!:D

stldave2

Lionheart1827 said:
Believe it or not, there are some states like mine (NY) that it is illegal to even TOUCH a pistol without a license, and even if you HAVE a license, its illegal to be in possession of a gun that isnt on your license. Tennessee most likely doesnt have this crappy limitation, but its worth noting. :)

IN OTHER NEWS, Iowa is supposedly becoming a Shall issue state! Congrats any Iowans out on GAF!:D

No shit? That SUCKS.

Illinois has some bullshit rules too, thank god I live on the OTHER side of the river.

I have an 870 Express with a pistol grip. I know how to shoot it, but I never really use it. It's for home defense. I think a pump-action is the best for that kind of use. The sound of you cocking one is so distinguishable that if someone is breaking in, they take off at the sound of it.

stldave2

Colonel Mustard said:
I have an 870 Express with a pistol grip. I know how to shoot it, but I never really use it. It's for home defense. I think a pump-action is the best for that kind of use. The sound of you cocking one is so distinguishable that if someone is breaking in, they take off at the sound of it.

I have a choate pistol grip on my 870, I keep it under the bed... no round in the chamber, trigger pulled so it's ready to rack:D I love that sound!

eznark

Banned
Colonel Mustard said:
I thought of that but the sound of my house alarm is so fucking loud and disorienting that a potential intruder would never hear the pump. They will also never hear me coming and putting them on the God damned ground either. XD 40 and ear protection in my nightstand for just such an occasion.

Hey guys, I am about to sell my Beretta U22 Neos and am in the market for a new gun. Are there any good places online that have a rough guide of values for used guns? So far I have really only been looking at Manufacturer websites so I only know what MSRP is on most of the guns I have been looking at.

golem

darkressurection said:
Hey guys, I am about to sell my Beretta U22 Neos and am in the market for a new gun. Are there any good places online that have a rough guide of values for used guns? So far I have really only been looking at Manufacturer websites so I only know what MSRP is on most of the guns I have been looking at.
Take a look at gunbroker.com

TimeLike

Here are a few pics of two guns I recently inherited when my mom passed away. They belonged to her father, but she'd kept them since grandpa died a couple years ago.

This is a Savage 12 guage shotgun.
savageshotty2.jpg

A couple old boxes of ammo for it.
oldammo2.jpg

This is a Remington Model 742 Carbine.
carbine2.jpg

And some ammo for it.
carbineammo.jpg

Finally, as a thank you to Mrs. TimeLike for hefting these weapons in the air while I took the photos, here is a pic of her Kahr P9 that she can show off to "those Neogaf people you are always talking to."
wifeP9s.jpg

TimeLike said:
Here are a few pics of two guns I recently inherited when my mom passed away. They belonged to her father, but she'd kept them since grandpa died a couple years ago.

This is a Savage 12 guage shotgun.

Finally, as a thank you to Mrs. TimeLike for hefting these weapons in the air while I took the photos, here is a pic of her Kahr P9 that she can show off to "those Neogaf people you are always talking to."

Awesome stuff right there. There is nothing more attractive than seeing a woman with firepower! Lucky for you! :)

Crovax33

Ugh I want a 1911 so badly, but I know it would be a bad call right now. A bit strapped for cash and .45 acp ammo is even more expensive than the 9mm (which has been costing an arm and a leg lately).

500px-KimberCustomTLEII_OtherSide.jpg

Looks so good!

Also has anyone here built an AK in California? AK build parties seem to be pretty popular on the Calguns forums, but nobody explains the super basics (you will need this part and this part to start, expect to spend XXX, etc...)

Crovax33 said:
Ugh I want a 1911 so badly, but I know it would be a bad call right now. A bit strapped for cash and .45 acp ammo is even more expensive than the 9mm (which has been costing an arm and a leg lately).

Looks so good!

Also has anyone here built an AK in California? AK build parties seem to be pretty popular on the Calguns forums, but nobody explains the super basics (you will need this part and this part to start, expect to spend XXX, etc...)

Yes 1911s are sweet. If you know where to look, you can find prices that are mostly equal to 9mm. I usually go to http://www.midwayusa.com/ and sportsmansguide online.

Also check out http://www.ammoengine.com/

Crovax33 said:

500px-KimberCustomTLEII_OtherSide.jpg

Looks so good!

I'd be down to build an AK or full auto AR-15

stldave2

Glad to see I'm not the only 1911 fan in here! Aside from my money-pit-of-a-gun Sig556 Swat I have probably spent more on on my Kimber. She's my baby:lol

3817770697_8dd680154a.jpg

SOMEDAY I'll buck up and get an Ed Brown bobtail... bobtails are so sexy!

Crovax33

Lionheart1827 said:
Yes 1911s are sweet. If you know where to look, you can find prices that are mostly equal to 9mm. I usually go to midwayusa and sportsmansguide online.

Hmm, everytime I go to sportsmans guide they are either out of stock of good cheap ammo, or a worse deal than the local range (and I'm worried about paying shipping). The 45 ACP also seems about 1/3rd more (with winchester white box as a comparison, $22.77/50 in 45, $14.07/50 in 9MM). I think at the range I go to it's about $28/100 in 9mm.

Not to mention all the ranges around here charge extra if you don't buy the ammo through them. I usually just buy the reloads that they sell.

I've never found any really good deals online, except in trashy brands or reloads. Shipping makes it hard too.

Crovax33 said:
Hmm, everytime I go to sportsmans guide they are either out of stock of good cheap ammo, or a worse deal than the local range (and I'm worried about paying shipping). The 45 ACP also seems about 1/3rd more (with winchester white box as a comparison, $22.77/50 in 45, $14.07/50 in 9MM). I think at the range I go to it's about $28/100 in 9mm.

Not to mention all the ranges around here charge extra if you don't buy the ammo through them. I usually just buy the reloads that they sell.

I've never found any really good deals online, except in trashy brands or reloads. Shipping makes it hard too.
that is the lamest thing I've ever heard.

Just stopping in to say hello! newer gun owner here, but I have been around them my entire life. Glad to see there is place for this on Gaf!

I currently have:

Smith and Wesson Model 13 .357 magnum (wooden Hogue grips, Bomar rib, Combat spring)
Marlin 795 .22lr Semi Auto

(reserved for photos when I get home from work)

Crovax33 said:

Yeah I never buy from the range unless I have to, I'd rather buy quality ammo then pay a premium on whatever they have sitting back there.

But you are right, 45 is more expensive more often than not. However I have noticed that lately the prices for ammo have been going down. They were most expensive about a year ago.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Still so tempted to get a Mosin Nagant, considering they're so cheap compared to other rifles of that era. A local gun shop has one for $99, which seems fair considering that after paying a FFL transfer fee, even the cheapest ones I see online would cost more. The trouble is that there don't seem to be any shooting ranges near me that would really let me see its full potential. I think the longest free range around here is 300 yards, but even that's nearly an hour away. Yes I know I probably won't even land a shot within ten feet of my target at that range without a scope.

DarthWoo said:
Still so tempted to get a Mosin Nagant, considering they're so cheap compared to other rifles of that era. A local gun shop has one for $99, which seems fair considering that after paying a FFL transfer fee, even the cheapest ones I see online would cost more. The trouble is that there don't seem to be any shooting ranges near me that would really let me see its full potential. I think the longest free range around here is 300 yards, but even that's nearly an hour away. Yes I know I probably won't even land a shot within ten feet of my target at that range without a scope.

They are still worth picking up. That's a good price, and they are fun guns. The ammo is cheap and plentiful, and when you shoot one, you really feel it! It's also probably the loudest rifle I have ever fired. I usually shoot my Garand at about 100 yards, and it's fun. Any range that is around that distance will be worth it. Hell, you could even go to an indoor range just to turn some heads with all the noise you'll be making. :lol

MisterNoisy

Captain Howdy said:
They are still worth picking up. That's a good price, and they are fun guns. The ammo is cheap and plentiful, and when you shoot one, you really feel it! It's also probably the loudest rifle I have ever fired. I usually shoot my Garand at about 100 yards, and it's fun. Any range that is around that distance will be worth it. Hell, you could even go to an indoor range just to turn some heads with all the noise you'll be making. :lol

The fireball and report from a M-N has to be seen and heard to be believed. They're a ton of fun at the range.

Finally it took long enough! I finally got my NY pistol license after 6 months of waiting from handing in the application. :lol

Now I can actually hold a pistol legally and now buy one.

Once I pick up my first I'll definitely post some pics up. :D

Zyzyxxz

Crovax33 said:

American made 1911's are so ridiculously expensive just because its a 1911. If you don't care about looks and all that Kimber style stuff get a Rock Island Armory 1911.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/RIA.htm

Made in the Philippines and modeled after the old school WWII GI models (they used them against the Japanese during the war so they know their 1911's).

I've read that they go for around $400 but prices fluctuate as demand increases due to more people wanting to get a cheap but well made 1911.

Zeke

took this out for Easter after about 4 rounds I was dying great shotgun to shoot the recoil really takes its toll tho I was feeling sore for a few days after Easter:lol This actually belongs to my sister I'm trying to buy it off her atm
20rtm4o.jpg

The stock extends nice little feature to accommodate all shooters
16gflhj.jpg

looking down the barrel
2vmvj4h.jpg

I really like the strap makes you feel a lot more secure when shooting
6ei1wo.jpg

bought 3 boxes of shells and I have a box and a half left
i3vwh0.jpg

funny story about the shells, I ended up going to wal-mart around midnight to buy them the lady kinda freaked out when I told her I needed some 12 gauge shells. I also learned that you can buy shells overnight but rifle and handgun ammunition is a no go. Didn't really know that so I was expecting wal-mart to refuse to sell me shells.
practice02 said:
I'd be down to build an AK or full auto AR-15
hope you're down for never owning a firearm again and doing time if you get caught with a full auto AR

Top Bottom