• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

I am buying this from a family friend later this month, what do you guys think?

its a Dan Wesson .22 revolver.. Its a little obscure but the frame and grip angle are identical to my smith and wesson .357 so it will make a great practice gun.

Edit: I plan on switching the grip to either some nice wood Hogue or some rubber combat.

wesson22.jpg

Draft said:
I was thinking a .22, but you know, even though I am 100% serious when I say the only thing I'd ever do is go target shooting...
I still want a gun that can kill things.

.22 is nice because it's cheap, not too loud, easy to control, and usually light. But if you want something simple but effective, just stick to 9mm

JetBlackPanda said:
I am buying this from a family friend later this month, what do you guys think?

its a Dan Wesson .22 revolver.. Its a little obscure but the frame and grip angle are identical to my smith and wesson .357 so it will make a great practice gun.

Edit: I plan on switching the grip to either some nice wood Hogue or some rubber combat.

wesson22.jpg

Meh, I just hate plastic handles. Sorry.

Zeke said:
wow thats a sexy 22 panda I love revolvers <3

thanks! I love revolvers too! people always seem to notice at the range! I have nothing against semi autos and I want to get a .45 or 9mm XD sometime soon but its cool to be different when everyone is pulling out 9mm Glocks and stuff :D

Manos: The Hans of Fate I hate those grips as well! that is why I am changing them.

I've heard good things about dan wesson revolvers. I want this smith and wesson 22

2yuhz6e.jpg

It has a 10 shot cylinder and I'll put a CT lasergrip on it because it would be perfect for varmints.

Full Recovery said:
I've heard good things about dan wesson revolvers. I want this smith and wesson 22

2yuhz6e.jpg

It has a 10 shot cylinder and I'll put a CT lasergrip on it because it would be perfect for varmints.

is that a 617? smith makes such nice revolvers.. that would be a damn fun plinker!

617 it is. I held them in the gun shop and it feels just like the 686 .357 because I believe they are both on a K frame.

Pricey though.

Full Recovery said:
617 it is. I held them in the gun shop and it feels just like the 686 .357 because I believe they are both on a K frame.

Pricey though.

yes they are! that's why that Dan Wesson is so tempting, my friend is willing to part with it for $200

JetBlackPanda said:
The advantage is you get to practice for cheap with the same trigger pull and site picture.
That's priceless imo, learning the gun and having that muscle memory for the model you are going to be using in self defense is priceless.

I'd rather have a conversion for my self defense gun then have two separate guns with two different grips/trigger pulls/weights/mag release locations/etc.

JetBlackPanda said:
Manos: The Hans of Fate I hate those grips as well! that is why I am changing them.

Good to hear. I'm not saying everything needs to be pearl white (in fact I'm not nuts about that style or Patton), but man a nice wood finish is just pure class compared to rubber.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Draft said:
I was thinking a .22, but you know, even though I am 100% serious when I say the only thing I'd ever do is go target shooting...
I still want a gun that can kill things.

Don't be dumb like me and buy a .380, because ammo is hard as hell to find for those right now. It's a shame too because .380s are good for beginners.

Anywho, next for me is a 1911 .45acp for nightstand duty. Anyone know of a reliable brand I should buy for around $700? I'm only interested in 4" barrels.

Applesauce said:
Don't be dumb like me and buy a .380, because ammo is hard as hell to find for those right now. It's a shame too because .380s are good for beginners.

Anywho, next for me is a 1911 .45acp for nightstand duty. Anyone know of a reliable brand I should buy for around $700? I'm only interested in 4" barrels.

Might want to look at a Springfield Armory Mil Spec.

As for revolvers, Ruger makes damn fine stuff. Built like a tank.

Flo_Evans

So the wife and I are looking at buying a pistol for home defense/target shooting. I think I want a 9mm.

We went to the range last night and rented a few different ones to get a feel for what we could both comfortably shoot.

She was in LOVE with all the polymer framed modern ones (Sig Sauer P250 and a Glock 18) I was more a fan of the all metal older gun designs. I have always loved berettas. She said it was too heavy though and she shot like shit with it. It was the 1st one we tried though. :lol

So what do I do? Buy 2 guns? :lol

I like the sig just fine, but there is something fucking cool about the beretta...

I want to get something that we both can use in an emergency and both enjoy shooting at the range. I wanted to try a P99 but the dudes that worked there seemed to hate that gun, they didn't even have any for sale/rent.

Here is her target at 10yards with the Sig...

29857_1470671884744_1172033220_1324747_4677773_n.jpg

Maybe I should just get it. :D

golem

Flo_Evans said:
Yup!

Enjoyment of firearms is really down to personal preference.. I would hate to have to use something I didnt enjoy. Share the ammo, but get your own guns ;)

Flo_Evans

If I get 2 I think a .40 for home and a .22 plinker for the range would be best.

We couldn't share ammo but would have better stopping power and cheaper target shooting.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Flo_Evans said:
If I get 2 I think a .40 for home and a .22 plinker for the range would be best.

We couldn't share ammo but would have better stopping power and cheaper target shooting.

Plus you could dual wield.

Dead Man

Flo_Evans said:
So the wife and I are looking at buying a pistol for home defense/target shooting. I think I want a 9mm.

We went to the range last night and rented a few different ones to get a feel for what we could both comfortably shoot.

She was in LOVE with all the polymer framed modern ones (Sig Sauer P250 and a Glock 18) I was more a fan of the all metal older gun designs. I have always loved berettas. She said it was too heavy though and she shot like shit with it. It was the 1st one we tried though. :lol

I like the sig just fine, but there is something fucking cool about the beretta...

I want to get something that we both can use in an emergency and both enjoy shooting at the range. I wanted to try a P99 but the dudes that worked there seemed to hate that gun, they didn't even have any for sale/rent.

Here is her target at 10yards with the Sig...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs505.ash1/29857_1470671884744_1172033220_1324747_4677773_n.jpg[IMG]

Maybe I should just get it. :D[/QUOTE]
Did you try any of the CZ75 range? Great guns, they come in a pretty good range of sizes, 9mm, good price, classic metal frame, but they have versions with light rails or polymer frames. You can get a good one for 450-600, and they have a .22 conversion kit available as well.

[url]http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/[/url]

LOL, that reads like such a sales pitch! I am not affiliated with CZ or any firearms sales or manufacturing company! Honest!

andycapps

Flo_Evans said:

I haven't had good experience at all with Berettas.. Shot two before and they both jammed several times on me. Have heard of this before with other people.. So me personally, I wouldn't make that my main gun or a self defense weapon.

But yeah, I'd get two guns. :lol

MetalAlien

Banned
Nobody has one of these? Barrett M82A1? I've had mine for about 5 years now and still haven't put a scope on it.. :)

This was us (my nephews) shooting it not to long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYdogEu4ig

I also own a Glock 9mm, Calico 9mm, Desert Eagle .50AE, Mossberg 12 gauge, and a few others.

EDIT: I also made this video a while ago, it was sorta ment to be creepy. this is us firing a bunch of different ammo including explosive ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8IAzr7MyfM

barrett_shoot.jpg

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Shot about 3,000 rounds earlier today with some friends. Shot a nice composite stock .308, couple 12 guages, two .40 S&W's, and a bunch of .22LR's. After we finished sighting in a new scope on a .308 and going through all our paper targets we preceded to blast the crap out of an old compaq computer, a rusty riding lawn mower and a couple old wine barrels. Country living ftw.

CleverGirl

Neo Member
I don't really know a lot about guns except that I like them. I come from a gun family. I've only done range shooting with my dad when I was younger and we lived in the country. We don't shoot anymore but still have our guns. I think we have a deer rifle, a 9mm, and two old revolvers that my grandfather left us. Not very specific, but I haven't been in the gun cabinet in a while.

MisterNoisy

Full Recovery said:
Not sure about the CZs, but I do know that the Glocks in 9mm are all convertible to .22lr. Those glock conversions are also very popular and would be easy to sell if you ever got bored with it.

There's also a Kadet conversion kit for the CZ-75 that converts it to .22LR, but it's also about as expensive as just buying a second gun.

I can recommend the CZ without hesitation. It's simply an outstanding gun. :D

Flo_Evans

andycapps said:
I haven't had good experience at all with Berettas.. Shot two before and they both jammed several times on me. Have heard of this before with other people.. So me personally, I wouldn't make that my main gun or a self defense weapon.

But yeah, I'd get two guns. :lol

The beretta at the range did jam multiple times (only shot about 25 rounds through it)... I figured it was just dirt/worn out. The beretta jammed, the sig misfired (worn striker pin?) but was DAO so another squeeze and it sent the round. The only guns that shot without incident was the Kimber and the Glock.

Not sure I like the DAO... it is simple and always the same trigger pull. I kind of like the hair trigger for follow up shots though. :lol

The Glock seems like the obvious answer... its easy for the wife and I to shoot, reliable, accurate, cheap (relatively) but something about it is just boring. It's so generic and unfun to shoot. I don't know why but I don't like them.

I'm really wanting to buy a M4 equivalent of some kind, but really don't seem to find any place local that I could then go and shoot it. Only fields seem to be for smallbore rifles :(

andycapps

Flo_Evans said:
The beretta at the range did jam multiple times (only shot about 25 rounds through it)... I figured it was just dirt/worn out. The beretta jammed, the sig misfired (worn striker pin?) but was DAO so another squeeze and it sent the round. The only guns that shot without incident was the Kimber and the Glock.

Not sure I like the DAO... it is simple and always the same trigger pull. I kind of like the hair trigger for follow up shots though. :lol

The Glock seems like the obvious answer... its easy for the wife and I to shoot, reliable, accurate, cheap (relatively) but something about it is just boring. It's so generic and unfun to shoot. I don't know why but I don't like them.

Yeah I hear you on the boring front with Glocks. I have a 23 and it's a great gun, but it's not nearly as easy on the eyes as a Kimber or Sig. The main thing with Glocks is the reliability, ease of cleaning/breakdown, and parts to modify them I'd assume.. People have literally shot thousands of rounds through them before cleaning them with no issues. I don't recommend that, but you get what I'm saying. :lol

Your experience with the Beretta seems to be fairly typical, and I'd doubt it was because it was dirty. They just seem to be prone to jamming. I listened to a guy at a gun store about 15 years ago rant for about 20 minutes on how some buddies of his in the Gulf War apparently either got shot or it misfired due to sand in the barrel and it injured them. I'm pretty sure he was actually contrasting it then to a Glock and how you could do the same sorts of stuff and it'd still fire.

I shot my father-in-law's Kimber .45 recently and that is a very nice gun. Super expensive but is great looking and shoots very well. It's a shame because he has so many guns and yet doesn't shoot them often at all, just likes to collect them. I've shot the Kimber as many times as he has (1). Same with his Smith and Wesson .357 snub.

Flo_Evans

andycapps said:
Yeah I hear you on the boring front with Glocks. I have a 23 and it's a great gun, but it's not nearly as easy on the eyes as a Kimber or Sig. The main thing with Glocks is the reliability, ease of cleaning/breakdown, and parts to modify them I'd assume.. People have literally shot thousands of rounds through them before cleaning them with no issues. I don't recommend that, but you get what I'm saying. :lol

Your experience with the Beretta seems to be fairly typical, and I'd doubt it was because it was dirty. They just seem to be prone to jamming. I listened to a guy at a gun store about 15 years ago rant for about 20 minutes on how some buddies of his in the Gulf War apparently either got shot or it misfired due to sand in the barrel and it injured them. I'm pretty sure he was actually contrasting it then to a Glock and how you could do the same sorts of stuff and it'd still fire.

I shot my father-in-law's Kimber .45 recently and that is a very nice gun. Super expensive but is great looking and shoots very well. It's a shame because he has so many guns and yet doesn't shoot them often at all, just likes to collect them. I've shot the Kimber as many times as he has (1). Same with his Smith and Wesson .357 snub.

Some people have said the berettas problem is the magazine is shit and doesn't feed right and can be fixed with an after market mag. I dunno, for a main home defense weapon I would not want to have to worry about it. I had thought they where a decent pistol because of all the military and police use but it seems that police gun choices are more political than anything. :lol

What do you think about Walthers? My buddy has a P99 that he loves (but has never shot 0_o? ) The ex-cops at the range hated the gun and didn't even sell them. Something about S&W taking over and fucking it up... IDK I felt like I was entering chevy/ford territorry. :lol

Looks like OT is down for e3....

I ended up getting (hopefully - on a 3 day wait) an H&K USP .40 :D

HKUSP.png

(9mm shown)

They had it on clearance at bass pro for $599... I picked it up and heard the MGS music in my head. Couldn't resist. :lol

It's not quite the Socom Mk.23 model used by snake but if I wanted to I could get a threaded barrel and a laser/light combo for it... :lol

Can't wait to shoot it, hopefully my check comes back good. Anyone have any experience with 3 day waits? Like is it 50/50? Or is it just random?

andycapps

Flo_Evans said:
Some people have said the berettas problem is the magazine is shit and doesn't feed right and can be fixed with an after market mag. I dunno, for a main home defense weapon I would not want to have to worry about it. I had thought they where a decent pistol because of all the military and police use but it seems that police gun choices are more political than anything. :lol

What do you think about Walthers? My buddy has a P99 that he loves (but has never shot 0_o? ) The ex-cops at the range hated the gun and didn't even sell them. Something about S&W taking over and fucking it up... IDK I felt like I was entering chevy/ford territorry. :lol

Most of the cops I've seen either use the exact model I have (the Glock 23) or the Glock 22, or they use a Smith and Wesson .357. The 23 seems to be a favorite of Special Forces. From what I've seen obviously, but yeah a lot of it is political, but a lot is personal preference and obviously reliability.

I don't know much about Walthers.. I'm not as knowledgable as most of the other people in this thread, just sharing what I've experienced in my shooting time. :D

Flo_Evans

ugg this waiting is killing me!!

Several people I've talked to say the 3 day wait is no big deal, they are probably backed up - other say its not a good sign...

Hiya Gun GAF..

This past Tuesday I made my first firearms purchase.. (all of my others had been gifts..)..

I purchased a Springfield XD 9mm..

Should be able to pick it up on Tuesday of this upcoming week.

Waiting period is only 3 days, but the dealer I bought from runs it as a side business only on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.. so he probably didn't file for the background check until Thursday.

Next saturday I'm going to take a CWP course with 3 of my co-workers.. pretty excited about it.

Top Bottom