• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
TOM f'N CRUISE said:
what would be a suggestion for someones first pistol to learn on??

Depends on if you want to upgrade from that pistol to something else. Or if you want to learn and use that pistol for self-defense/keeping Katie Holmes in line, what have you.

I learned on a Ruger .22 pistol, and went up from there. But, if I were to start with a 9mm I would go with a Glock 17C.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Don't let anyone talk you into a .45 as the first gun.

kingofrod

My two pistol's shown below:

mytwopistolssmall.jpg

I do have a question though... I'm looking for a smaller 9mm or .380 pistol that I could carry as my CCW if I needed to. I'm looking at the Walther PPK, but I also see a Bersa that is very similar at about half the price. Has anyone here had experience with this brand?

Also, to the person who bought the Mosin-Nagant... that was my first gun as well! Still is my favorite one to shoot, and ammo is very cheap! I just bought a spam can of 440 rounds on cheaperthandirt.com for 122 bucks shipped! I put the link below just in case you hadn't already found it:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=607

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So, um, any good internet sites for safety gear? I'm looking for eye protection and earmuffs. I'm also interested in cheap surplus ammo cans (empty). I'm not a US resident, but I travel frequently to the States and do I have an address.

Suppose it's time to post in here..

Got my new gun today..

DE2.jpg

DE1.jpg

DE3.jpg

Desert Eagle .44 Magnum in Brushed Chrome finish :D

Just finished cleaning the cosmoline out of her.. brand new from Israel.

Robobandit said:

Got my new gun today..

Awesome stuff. Good thing you didnt go 50 or you really would be draining your money hard. :lol

Lionheart1827 said:
Awesome stuff. Good thing you didnt go 50 or you really would be draining your money hard. :lol

Yeah, no shit.. lol..

I'll grab a .50 AE barrel if I ever get into reloading..

for now, I'll stick to .44 and be happy :lol

kingofrod said:
Let us know how bad it kicks when you take it to the range.

I could shoot this gun all day long in an air conditioned environment.. as long as someone else was paying for the ammo.

The weight and the gas operation take the edge off of the .44 magnum round.. perceived recoil is deceptively low.. trigger pull feels good (to me, at least)..

I'd like to get the hogue rubber grips with the finger grooves.. primarily because they wrap around the metal frame completely and would be more comfortable to grip.

I had a few jams, but at this point I think they were my fault.. though the possibility has been raised that it is due to the recoil springs being so stiff on the new gun.

The fun factor is extremely high... more than high enough for me to overlook the couple of hiccups I had, especially in that when I changed my grip on the gun, the feeding problem disappeared.

Very happy with the purchase.. it put a smile on the face of everyone that shot it. :D

Dead Man

Robobandit said:

Got my new gun today..

DE2.jpg

DE1.jpg

DE3.jpg

Nice, I can't even fit my girly hands around the grip of one of those!

ElectricBlue187 said:
gunGAF, what kind of rifle is this?

eU7mWl.jpg
Garand of some description, propbably a short barrelled repro. Maybe a Tanker Garand: http://www.scott-duff.com/t26.htm It looks like an Oleg Volk picture, maybe contact him through his website?

Edit: http://olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/?g2_page=6 and the next page have a Garand in .458 by McCann, and that image is on there as well, so I would say that is what it is.

http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/458garand/458garand.html

$3500 + rifle + shipping! :lol

XenoRaven

I'm looking at possibly getting something for self-defense purposes. Preferably something concealable. What are GAF's recommendations?

Zeke

XenoRaven said:
I'm looking at possibly getting something for self-defense purposes. Preferably something concealable. What are GAF's recommendations?
9mm for carry 12guage for home. Next best advice go to range and try all the handguns they have. Should give you a better idea of what you want.

Vilix said:
Proud carrier of a class 3 license and 2 MP-40's. ^.^

How hard was it to get a class 3 license?

Mohonky said:
Would never have happen if you'd had a......wait..what?

Heh, I had actually sold it to a friend. His house got robbed when he was at work and they ransacked the place; took the gun along with it. If it wasn't for that picture, I wouldn't have been able to give the police the serial number on the gun in case they decided to shoot someone with it.

XenoRaven said:

Shotty for home defense. Handgun wise, start with something that feels comfortable in your hands and go from there. How big or skinny you are will also determine what size you can conceal easily, along with the right holster.

Dead Man

XenoRaven said:
Yep, thirding the 9mm/12ga combo. How familiar are you with shooting, what have you fired, etc?

What sort of budget would you be looking at?

eznark

Banned
Going camping in Yosemite for a week. I have a carry license in Indiana. What do I need to do/can I take a handgun with me?

HeySeuss

eznark said:
Going camping in Yosemite for a week. I have a carry license in Indiana. What do I need to do/can I take a handgun with me?
Probably should call out there and find out. Transporting won't be an issue as long as you're doing it properly but every state is different in honoring your ccw. Some will and some won't.

HeySeuss

It's pretty much dependant on the police officer. Technically the ccw is only valid in the state it's issued in. But as a police officer depending on the circumstances I might give somebody a free pass and let them go with just educating them.

Others, however might confiscate your piece and tell you to piss up a rope.

kamspy

kingofrod said:
My two pistol's shown below:

mytwopistolssmall.jpg

I do have a question though... I'm looking for a smaller 9mm or .380 pistol that I could carry as my CCW if I needed to. I'm looking at the Walther PPK, but I also see a Bersa that is very similar at about half the price. Has anyone here had experience with this brand?

Also, to the person who bought the Mosin-Nagant... that was my first gun as well! Still is my favorite one to shoot, and ammo is very cheap! I just bought a spam can of 440 rounds on cheaperthandirt.com for 122 bucks shipped! I put the link below just in case you hadn't already found it:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=607

I've owned one of those little $200 .380 Bersa's for years. Still shoots like it did when I bought it. Maybe a little too light for conceal and carry for me. Glock 23C with the 15 round mag is where it's at.

Az

Just picked this baby up today. Got it for $339 brand new. Love it, and actually my wife doesn't mind.

mossberg52440.jpg

TheAzRim said:
Just picked this baby up today. Got it for $339 brand new. Love it, and actually my wife doesn't mind.

mossberg52440.jpg

Nice mossberg! Good deal, too.

I went to the range last week and was able to make some adjustments with my 1911. Getting a lot better with it.

Also picked up a Barska 20-60x spotting scope. Very clear lens and comes with a nice tripod, too.

-NeoTB1-

I have a rifle. Actually, I own 2, but one needs some serious repair before it can be used again. There's nothing special about them. Both are .22 Marlins that I use primarily for plinking around out here in the country.

eznark

Banned
golem said:
I saw that too.

For fucks sake this shit is obtuse:

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2010/03/23/1359436/national-parks-gun-regulations.html

Confusing state law That's not the knock on California's law, though. The law is just confusing, said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, an Internet-based group supporting the right to carry holstered handguns.
Without a concealed weapons permit, it is illegal to carry a loaded firearm on the body in urban public places, according to the California law.
But it is legal to carry the loaded weapon if you are in the act of hunting or fishing. It is also legal to have the loaded firearm in a person's residence, motel room, campsite, business or on private property.
Another point of contention: A loaded firearm can be carried openly in an unincorporated area without a concealed weapons permit, unless the area forbids firing weapons. Yosemite officials say the park qualifies as an unincorporated area with a gun-firing ban.
But Stollenwerk said he is not so sure Yosemite or any other national park can qualify for the gun-firing ban under state laws. He said California's law could be interpreted to apply only to local jurisdictions, such as counties, not the federal government.
"It's not easy to understand California's laws," Stollenwerk said. "It would be much simpler to just allow open carry of loaded firearms in all of California."

Read more: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2010/03/23/1359436/national-parks-gun-regulations.html#ixzz0wh5cyW7k

So I have a permit in Indiana (which isn't applicable). I will be taking my handgun (stowed and unloaded) to Yosemite. It will be legal beyond question in my tent. When I go hiking in back country though...who knows. Brilliant.

I just came back from Vegas and shot some guns for the first time ever. Shooting at a range is so fucking fun. I'm a fucking crackshot with a 1911. I love it. I want to buy one now.

Finally got my custom AR done.

BCM 14.5 ( with permanent flash hider) upper and bolt.
Armalite Lower with Vltor IMOD stock.
Surefire 6P Light with Vltor Scout Mount.

mrel9z.jpg

choodi

Banned
I have a Winchester model 94 .30/30 and a BRNO Model 2E .22.

Both are for hunting

I have a question though...I see a hell of a lot of military style weapons here and aside from the obvious advantages for when the zombies arrive, what the fuck do you guys do with them?

Range shooting, home defence...?

Serious question (I'm in Australia and our gun laws are pretty strict when it comes to military style weapons).

choodi said:
I have a Winchester model 94 .30/30 and a BRNO Model 2E .22.

Both are for hunting

I have a question though...I see a hell of a lot of military style weapons here and aside from the obvious advantages for when the zombies arrive, what the fuck do you guys do with them?

Range shooting, home defence...?

Serious question (I'm in Australia and our gun laws are pretty strict when it comes to military style weapons).

Well in all reality, they are nothing different from a hunting or sport rifle with the same caliber. They do tend to be more fun to shoot than your standard rifle, other than that and looks, thats pretty much it. Its basically like, do you wanna go the speed limit in a Honda Accord or Ferrari 458 italia, regardless of what you choose, you are still doing the speed limit. Aesthetics have a lot to do with it.

ChiTownBuffalo

Thinking about buying a Glock 22.

Anyone out here own one?

And anyone from the 10mm defense force have a good argument on why I should go with that caliber?

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Anyone out here own one?

And anyone from the 10mm defense force have a good argument on why I should go with that caliber?

I have a Glock 22. Its a decent full sized .40 gun. Nothing fancy, just a good solid gun, although I had to buy a rubber grip sleeve to make it feel good to me, not a fan of the standard Glock pistol grip. One minor thing I dont like is the slide release is tiny, but can be replaced im sure. Oh and one other thing, there is no safety, yeah that :lol

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Anyone out here own one?

I cant help you on the 10mm spot, only that Mr Crockett(in my avatar) uses a 10mm Bren Ten for the first two seasons.

I dont really see much of a need for a 10mm when you can get a .40SW or .45.

As for Glocks, they are exceptional firearms. My brother has a service 19 and a 36 and he loves them.

Dead Man

Agent Ironside said:
Just acquired, been infatuated with this gun ever since Jack started using it on 24.

HK USP Compact .40

27zgimu.jpg
Bit lulzy reason, but nice pick up either way. The first pistol I fired was a fullsize USP in .40, amazing gun.

Dead Man said:
Bit lulzy reason, but nice pick up either way. The first pistol I fired was a fullsize USP in .40, amazing gun.

I should of worded it different, not because "Jack" started using it, but because it was the first time I saw the gun, that I became infatuated with it. lol

Anyways, the full sized it great too, got this one for concealed carry, I use the word concealed very lightly, this gun is short but not small by any means.

Dead Man

Agent Ironside said:
I should of worded it different, not because "Jack" started using it, but because it was the first time I saw the gun, that I became infatuated with it. lol

Anyways, the full sized it great too, got this one for concealed carry, I use the word concealed very lightly, this gun is short but not small by any means.
No offence intended, it is a great gun. And yeah, it's still pretty wide. Good for winter carry, harder in summer.

Zeke

TheAzRim said:

mossberg52440.jpg
looks like we got the same shotgun highfive.jpg Have you put any rounds thro it yet?

Flo_Evans said:
Kimbers are works of art that kill. :lol

I LOVED the feel of it but my wife hated the weight. Then I saw the price. One day.

I recently sold my Pro Raptor II, my third Kimber, and sadly, that'll probably be my last. Kimbers have great looks and feel, but if you get one with a bad extractor, forget it. Never got it worked out with Kimber. Been to 2 different master smith about fixing it too, because I loved the look and feel that much. But I can't have a firearm that jams as frequently as that.

Oh, and their stock mags blow. Best advice is to immediately go out and get a set of Wilsons if you buy a Kimber. Best purchase you can make. Then again, that's my favorite mag for any auto.

BattleMonkey said:
Not all handguns come in cases like that, some do just come in a cardboard box.

KHarvey16 said:
Or a paper bag if you find a good deal!

:D

My newest 1911 came in a manila envelope with tape on it that reads "Evidence." Got it from a former defense attorney. Amazing 1911.

I'll post a picture of it. Gotta go take a picture first.

Top Bottom