• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends (F2P Titanfall BR) available on PS4, XB1 and PC RIGHT NOW!

If that game was a masterpiece than it had sold better,because if that series had success people would have a sequel,but because the sales were really low what do you expect to happen,its just business.

TF2 remains an amazing game

It had a terrible release window, also didn’t launch with the PvE horde mode many people loved.

Imagine being a publisher is so vilified that you need to stealth launch a F2P with lootboxes to piggyback off of the increased population of free demo for your online service. And you avoid the bad press of its impending launch in a standard marketing cycle.

EA you magnificent, bond villain fucker.

Last edited:
i7 8700k
16gb ddr4
gtx 1080
evo 970

Are you using dynamic resolution scaling? If I turn that on, I can set a target fps of 80-100 fps but things get blurry

I get better framerates in Blops4 and even PUBG... I dont think I saw it ever go below 120fps in Titanfall2 with everything maxed out.

Nope I am running native res. I do get dips but g sync takes care of that when it happens

I get a higher frame rate on Pubg as well but it feels like shit as that game stutters like crazy, though technically it has been a giant pile of shit for a while

EDIT - does apex even have resolution scaling? I can't find it in the menus....

Last edited:

Fragment

I think it's just that a "surprise! It's out already" announcement was likely to be more effective than the conventional unveiling months in advance. A F2P battle royale game lives or dies based on word of mouth, and making people wait could actually kill its buzz.

They said themselves why. They wanted the game to speak for itself. Basically they didn't want the community or media dictate the narrative of the game to be released especially with how insidious mainstream or certain freelance "journalists" are these days for views or upvotes.

I think they did pretty damn well with this overall and after I get back from work today I may actually download EA's origin system for the first time ever and actually play a Battle Royale for the first time ever.

The only thing I think they completely messed up on is the character design and it will hurt them in the long run. There is this preconception that people don't want sexy characters yet it's sexy character designs that draw attention to these kind of games (LoL/Overwatch) and for some reason I think female gamers tend to be drawn to those characters more than even many male gamers. These characters all look so mean with their scowls and poses, etc.. It reminds me of Lawbreakers and that is definitely a game design you don't want to copy.

dirthead

Banned
Oh man. At first I was indifferent, but then I actually watched the video. The ripping off of Overwatch is frankly embarrassing.

This is like Fighters History level of embarrassing.

dirthead

Banned
TF2 was incredible but didn't sell well. It's not surprising they need to pivot.

TF2 didn't sell well because the first one was fucking dull and everyone assumed that a second one would be more of the same. That's why I didn't even pay attention to it.

xviper

If that game was a masterpiece than it had sold better,because if that series had success people would have a sequel,but because the sales were really low what do you expect to happen,its just business.
Titanfall 1 was a masterpiece, it didn't sell well due to it's exclusivity and bad FALSE publicity by jealous gamers who couldn't play it

Titanfall 2 had a great SP but a mediocre MP, it didn't sell well because of it's horrible release date

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Titanfall 1 was a masterpiece, it didn't sell well due to it's exclusivity and bad FALSE publicity by jealous games who couldn't play it

Titanfall 2 had a great SP but a mediocre MP, it didn't sell well because of it's horrible release date
Your tinfoil hat might be on a bit too tight.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
played a few matches and i can simply say that Battle Royale is one of the most cancerous things to ever happen to gaming, i would put it next to shit like Online pass and Early access
Battle Royale is the best thing to happen to shooters. I see your opinion from lots of bad players though. It's ok to not be good at something, but to call a game mode "cancerous" because you suck is simply childish.

There are plenty of brainless, no consequence, die and respawn games for you to play. Enjoy those and let us enjoy our BRs.

This game seems ok but I am still waiting for an AAA take on PUBG's style of BR. Maybe firestorm will give me that.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Titanfall 1 was a masterpiece, it didn't sell well due to it's exclusivity and bad FALSE publicity by jealous gamers who couldn't play it

I agree Titanfall is the best one.
Titanfall 2 have a campaign so it got more praise but gameplay alone the first one is the one to look for.

Said that I thought the first game sold well the issue was the population didn't hold up... they have some initial decisions that split the community with content that couldn't be played by everybody so players left for something else and when they tried to fix it it was late.

But it is still the game to look for.

Boss Mog

That makes as much sense as creating a game called "Covenant Legends" set in the Halo Universe and only allow you to play as a Grunt.

"Hey, not everyone can be an Elite, ok?"

Actually Bungie did that, it was called ODST and you didn't play as a spartan in a powerful armor suit, you played a regular human soldier. It's also happened in other universes such as Star Wars, there's been plenty of games where you don't play as a Jedi or force user.

Shmunter

Enjoying the game, won a match dropping a mortar strike on a poor bastard.

Issue at hand is the game is not a locked 60fps on the Pro. It’s good, but it wavers and certainly not as solid as Blackout. Hope there is further optimisation.

Thiagosc777

Actually Bungie did that, it was called ODST and you didn't play as a spartan in a powerful armor suit, you played a regular human soldier. It's also happened in other universes such as Star Wars, there's been plenty of games where you don't play as a Jedi or force user.

Only in the lore. The gameplay is the same. They used the same code from Halo 3 (like it says in the name Halo 3: ODST). The differences were minimal.

Apex Legends removed core gameplay from the series.

Edit: hey, you know that grunts are these guys right?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

I...love...this....game.

I honestly was disappointed at the thought of there being no titans and no double jumping or wall running...but then I played it last night...

I think this might be the best Battle Royale game to date.

VertigoOA

Banned
Is Titanfall in the name of Apex Legends?

He’s just grasping at straws. Just a jabroni shitting on games he don’t play because multiplayer games scare him. Poor baby.

Broken record bruh. We get it.... reeeeeeeEeeeeeEeEeeEeeE

Last edited:
I played APEX it’s great. I like better than blackout and fornite. I haven’t spend a penny on it. But I’ll probably drop 20 on it, to show support.

I bought titanfall 2, played it 4 times? Dropped it. Seems to be so many fans of the game here but not in the lobbies.

Tygeezy

Nope I am running native res. I do get dips but g sync takes care of that when it happens

I get a higher frame rate on Pubg as well but it feels like shit as that game stutters like crazy, though technically it has been a giant pile of shit for a while

EDIT - does apex even have resolution scaling? I can't find it in the menus....
I had issues with pubg and random stutters too, but that seems to have gone away. I had it uninstalled for awhile and just reinstalled it because we have a lot of family over and the kids love pubg mobile (fantastic game by the way). SO I went ahead and reinstalled it to show them big brother pc version and damn if it isn't a lot smoother.. The only hitch i'm noticing is right when it switches to the plane at the start.

I have the game capped at 100 fps, but I can definitely go higher judging by my gpu usage. I'm also using a gsync monitor.

Hobbesian

Banned
I played APEX it’s great. I like better than blackout and fornite. I haven’t spend a penny on it. But I’ll probably drop 20 on it, to show support.

I bought titanfall 2, played it 4 times? Dropped it. Seems to be so many fans of the game here but not in the lobbies.
They're all in the campaign mode, that's why.

I personally didn't care for it or understand the praise at all, but whatever.

DonF

I played 3 matches and Im really liking the game. Its feels smooth (ps4pro) it looks Ok, the mechanics are there. I changed my button layout to one similar to titanfall, I believe its called something like evolved. Just the grenade or ordinance button is kinda dumb, you have to equip it and then launch it. But that is because of the call out button. What a great addition. So far, i prefer it over fortnite. Never liked the building mechanic in that game, this feels tactical. I got a triple with a electric shuriken, and made my day.

Shmunter

They said themselves why. They wanted the game to speak for itself. Basically they didn't want the community or media dictate the narrative of the game to be released especially with how insidious mainstream or certain freelance "journalists" are these days for views or upvotes.

I think they did pretty damn well with this overall and after I get back from work today I may actually download EA's origin system for the first time ever and actually play a Battle Royale for the first time ever.

The only thing I think they completely messed up on is the character design and it will hurt them in the long run. There is this preconception that people don't want sexy characters yet it's sexy character designs that draw attention to these kind of games (LoL/Overwatch) and for some reason I think female gamers tend to be drawn to those characters more than even many male gamers. These characters all look so mean with their scowls and poses, etc.. It reminds me of Lawbreakers and that is definitely a game design you don't want to copy.

Yes it’s an interesting approach using youtubers exclusively as your marketing vehicle. You can just feel the media boiling under the hood. I think I saw something where some “journalists” were trying to discredit the whole thing already. And it seems to have worked, could be a paradigm shift.

Regarding your other point, not sure about “sexy” in an FPS being a factor. But each to his own.

ZywyPL

Banned
Battle Royale is the best thing to happen to shooters.

Depends on preferences (as always). For me there's waaay too much messing around and too little actual shooting (no. 1 reason why I never liked BF multiplayer except BC1, 2 and 1943, and BR is like BF times 10). The good thing is that BR is being saturated extremely fast, so sooner or later the devs will have to go back to "new" old formula of simple run&gun.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Depends on preferences (as always). For me there's waaay too much messing around and too little actual shooting (no. 1 reason why I never liked BF multiplayer except BC1, 2 and 1943, and BR is like BF times 10). The good thing is that BR is being saturated extremely fast, so sooner or later the devs will have to go back to "new" old formula of simple run&gun.

Or it can be a staple mode.

Anyone ever actually play warface? It has pvp, br, pve and raids! I played for a minute last month on PS4. It played well at least but the f2p model confuses me.... can’t be as messy as warframe can it?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Being new to the whole BR genre, do any of them have modes where you start with weapons or have a fixed loadout? I like everything about this game minus the scavenging.

They're all in the campaign mode, that's why.

I personally didn't care for it or understand the praise at all, but whatever.
Campaign mode? I guess.
Only shooter I’ve enjoy has been Rainbow six Siege, I’ve played this game none stop. I will effectively not touch black ops 4 ever again cause of this game. Apex is tight.

Bryank75

Banned
Got my first Epic skin last night for a gun, also got the "kill leader" achievement. Should hit level 10 tonight hopefully. Haven't really played that much either...

The wingman is epic.

Ogbert

If it means Respawn will stick around, I'm ok with that.

Your're quite right. I was being churlish - I wouldn't wish a publisher ill as it affects so many individuals. And I really like Respawn.

It's just Battle Royale makes we want to swallow a frisbee.

ZywyPL

Banned
Or it can be a staple mode.

Anyone ever actually play warface? It has pvp, br, pve and raids! I played for a minute last month on PS4. It played well at least but the f2p model confuses me.... can’t be as messy as warframe can it?

But then again, how many games outside CoD do this? Because that's one of the main selling point of the series, the variety of content. And now we see absolute regression, where there is just one game mode on a single map. So no wonder people jump from one BR to another so fast, just like than, you can play the same thing only for so long. You can add seasons, characters etc. but 99% of the game remains the same, and there's not much of it People jumped from PUBG to Fortnite pretty much within a day, now from Fortnite to Apex, and I have zero doubts that within a year people will abandon it for another BR game from Ubi etc. whenever it shows up. So if people are eager to abandon the BR games with such an ease, it most likely shows that they actually aren't that good IMO.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Banned
Performance is really inconsistent on the X - some sections of the map a super smooth 60, others dipping into what feels like low 40s. Pretty much like Blackout when it was first introduced (although that improved over time).

Speaking of Blackout, a random spectator would have a hard time telling the difference between the two! The Apex map does look a lot more interesting though (and likely the reason for the spotty performance)...

Hate being forced into games with randoms though - they need to make a solo mode.

mcz117chief

Guys, I have a question. What kind of v-sync setting should I use in general? Off, double-buffering, triple-buffering, adaptive v-sync? Which is best for a 1080p/60fps gamer?

But then again, how many games outside CoD do this? Because that's one of the main selling point of the series, the variety of content. And now we see absolute regression, where there is just one game mode on a single map. So no wonder people jump from one BR to another so fast, just like than, you can play the same thing only for so long. You can add seasons, characters etc. but 99% of the game remains the same, and there's not much of it People jumped from PUBG to Fortnite pretty much within a day, now from Fortnite to Apex, and I have zero doubts that within a year people will abandon it for another BR game from Ubi etc. whenever it shows up. So if people are eager to abandon the BR games with such an ease, it most likely shows that they actually aren't that good IMO.

This is why I don't understand why Blackout are doing their game modes for limited time, sure keep adding new BR game modes but don't take them away when you add new ones.

Calibos

All correct except TF2 also suffered from bad FALSE publicity because of the word of mouth about movement being neutered after the beta...Which they mostly fixed by launch. It still wasn't as good as TF1's movement, but damn amazing still.

I wish you would clarify the "BR is the most cancerous thing" comment. Makes me immediately annoyed because I have sunk many hours into PubG and Blackout and now Apex...I think it's the most competitive, heart pumping style of MP out there, and have had more fun and been more engaged with MP than I have been in years in games because of it.

Ogbert

such a weird opinion. Why exactly?

Most likely because I’m an old fart :)

No, it just feels so pointless. It’s a game mode, not a genre. You wander around an empty map for five minutes in the hope of a few seconds of gameplay.

Not for an old boy like me. It’s for the cool kids.

Top Bottom