• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

NBA 2K "TV Edition" is out:

Cd4GKeTW8AEgxhi.jpg:large

kinda want to check it out, the IAP concerns me though.

https://twitter.com/AppleTV_Gaming/status/711012569905909761

Moreche

I've been playing Calvino noir on Apple TV4 and been really impressed,
If apple had given the TV4 a A9X processor and game pad we could have been looking at a real gaming contender.

Quasar

I've been playing Calvino noir on Apple TV4 and been really impressed,
If apple had given the TV4 a A9X processor and game pad we could have been looking at a real gaming contender.

Well hopefully Apple treats it like the other ios platforms with yearly bumps. Though that doesnt solve the controller issue.

kuppy

In case anyone else was waiting for there to be a Giant Bomb app, but forgot to search for it the last couple of months. Well, there is one, it's called Giant Bomb Videos.
It's not official and it's not the Video Buddy either, it's quite bare bones actually, really only letting you stream videos in HD. But it incorporates the Giant Bomb API and therefore let's you watch premium videos, which is basically all I wanted.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are there no aspect ratio options in the settings? I'm feeding the Apple TV into my PC monitor which has a picture-in-picture or picture-by-picture mode, which is roughly 4:3. I can set the apple TV to 1280x1024 or 1024x768, but when displaying 16:9 content - ie most video these days, it appears squashed. I would have expected it to automatically letterbox it if I choose a 4:3 resolution.

jts

...hate me...
This new behaviour of not being able to scrobble while the video is playing is... awful. At least for me, so far. I haven't checked, but I hope there's a way to get the old behaviour back.

Also, Siri remains not available to me, even though I use it daily with the iPhone. Availabilty on Apple TV is locked to the Apple ID region :(

To add insult to injury, everytime I accidentally press the microphone button it just still takes me to the search app, which I never ever used or intend to.

Bit disappointed tbh.

Vyer

This new behaviour of not being able to scrobble while the video is playing is... awful. At least for me, so far. I haven't checked, but I hope there's a way to get the old behaviour back.

Also, Siri remains not available to me, even though I use it daily with the iPhone. Availabilty on Apple TV is locked to the Apple ID region :(

To add insult to injury, everytime I accidentally press the microphone button it just still takes me to the search app, which I never ever used or intend to.

Bit disappointed tbh.

I kind of liked the scrobble while playing, but there were a lot of folks complaining about it in here, so I guess that was the common sentiment. Oh well. Stopping and scrubbing works I guess.

Dictation is the best addition.

Quasar

Well that dictation is a disaster, at when trying to use it with non english words (like with anime show titles). Even the simplest of titles it gets wrong. 0/10 siri.

Maybe it expects me to change my sytem language every time I want to dictate something in a different language.

Quasar

I kind of liked the scrobble while playing, but there were a lot of folks complaining about it in here, so I guess that was the common sentiment. Oh well. Stopping and scrubbing works I guess.

I liked the old way too. Wish there was a toggle.

Jofamo

Is anyone having any luck with iCloud Photo Library in the new update? I opened the app first as it was one of the features I was really looking forward to. It asked me if I wanted to use Photo Library, and then asked for my Apple ID password. Then the app spinwheels on any of the tabs, Photos, Albums, Shared for about 5 minutes before telling me I have no photos in my photo library and to log onto an iOS device and start adding them. Which is completely wrong, as I have thousands of photos that show up just fine across my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Logging in/out and restarting the Apple TV aren't giving me any luck either.

Vyer

Is anyone having any luck with iCloud Photo Library in the new update? I opened the app first as it was one of the features I was really looking forward to. It asked me if I wanted to use Photo Library, and then asked for my Apple ID password. Then the app spinwheels on any of the tabs, Photos, Albums, Shared for about 5 minutes before telling me I have no photos in my photo library and to log onto an iOS device and start adding them. Which is completely wrong, as I have thousands of photos that show up just fine across my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Logging in/out and restarting the Apple TV aren't giving me any luck either.

Seems to be working ok here, but takes a while to load the thumbnails and such up at first.

Presco

Anyone else have subtitles defaulting to 'on' for Netflix after this last update? Subs are turned off in the ATV settings.

MLB TV is doing this to me. And it is set to "off" in the MLB TV settings. The only way I can get it to turn off is Siri. Super weird.

number11

Just used the PS4 Netflix app for the first time in a while. It is so much better than the Apple TV. The only advantage is the dictation search.

Is there really no way to view categories on the Apple TV?

f@luS

More than a member.
Hi. Just bought one 32gb

Kinda nice , though I'm a bit confused in the AppStore I can't really browse categories I just seein entertainment for exemple the spotlights one or more
To discover which is about 15 app. I can't see a full list. Any advice ?

Starz app is finally up on the App Store. It can be used if you already have a Starz subscription through cable, or just subscribe through the app.

Now to wait for Amazon Prime and I won't need another box.

Yeah, that's the app that I want. I bought the newer google cast -cause, why not for the price- and there isn't even a proper amazon video app on the play store to cast the video to the tv. It's ridiculous. I use my ps4 to watch amazon prime, it's not a huge deal, but I'd rather have all my video stuff on one device as well.

I just set up a few more apps for my parents Apple TV. This thing really needs a way to let you login to your cable provider once for all of the different apps that require it. It would also be useful to be able to search by apps that work with my cable provider.

Quasar

hugocésar;200750442 said:
Yeah, that's the app that I want. I bought the newer google cast -cause, why not for the price- and there isn't even a proper amazon video app on the play store to cast the video to the tv. It's ridiculous. I use my ps4 to watch amazon prime, it's not a huge deal, but I'd rather have all my video stuff on one device as well.

Well thats all Amazons fault. Trying to prop up their firetvs etc.

jts

...hate me...
An idea crossed my mind.

I remember wanting Apple to have a 3.5mm jack in the remote for the new Apple TV that was coming out, like the Roku. It didn’t. But as it turns out, Apple is kinda abandoning that jack altogether (and it would barely fit on the Siri remote).

So, what if...

When there’s new Lightning EarPods to replace the current EarPods, Apple will issue an update to enable Lightning headphones to be used via the Siri remote?

Probably not. But it’s nice to want things, right?

numble

An idea crossed my mind.

I remember wanting Apple to have a 3.5mm jack in the remote for the new Apple TV that was coming out, like the Roku. It didn’t. But as it turns out, Apple is kinda abandoning that jack altogether (and it would barely fit on the Siri remote).

So, what if...

When there’s new Lightning EarPods to replace the current EarPods, Apple will issue an update to enable Lightning headphones to be used via the Siri remote?

Probably not. But it’s nice to want things, right?

I don't think they are going to offer Lightning EarPods, unless you mean BlueTooth EarPods that are chargeable by Lightning. AppleTV supports BlueTooth, so they would likely go that route.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205302

jts

...hate me...
I don't think they are going to offer Lightning EarPods, unless you mean BlueTooth EarPods that are chargeable by Lightning. AppleTV supports BlueTooth, so they would likely go that route.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205302
Oh, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they pack in bluetooth headphones with the next iPhone (or whatever iPhone is the first without a jack).

In any case Apple will be making at very least an adapter for lightning surely? So I'm still intrigued if they toy with the idea of making it work with the Siri remote.

But yeah, I know the Apple TV supports Bluetooth headphones. I should get a pair anyway for the Apple Watch. A cheap pair before Apple really kickstarts that market later this year :p

MisterR

I just set up a few more apps for my parents Apple TV. This thing really needs a way to let you login to your cable provider once for all of the different apps that require it. It would also be useful to be able to search by apps that work with my cable provider.

Those are both great ideas. It took for fucking ever to get all the different apps set up with the cable provider log in, and then I downloaded a bunch of stuff that didn't work with my cable provider and then had to turn around and delete.

Sean

Banned

It's way more tolerable than it was at launch now that there's the Remote app/keyboard entry/dictation for passwords. But yeah, this is probably the biggest flaw with the Apple TV right now. Really awful initial user experience when setting it up.

Vyer

I'd imagine that's a provider/network limitation, as just about every device and console I've used requires the same setup.

I did notice that since I was using my iPad to log into those websites, it started remembering that I was logged in as I went from site to site so that helped.

Luschient

Really wish there was some option to stream .ISO files to Apple TV. Currently have all my movies backed up as .ISO and converting them to mp4 is a big time-suck. Plus I like having the DVD menus and everything.

Quasar

Really wish there was some option to stream .ISO files to Apple TV. Currently have all my movies backed up as .ISO and converting them to mp4 is a big time-suck. Plus I like having the DVD menus and everything.

Can the MrMC app not play them? I figured it would as its a kodi fork.

Enzom21

Can the MrMC app not play them? I figured it would as its a kodi fork.

+ bump core to match jarvis 16.1 RC2
+ bump to AE/17 and friends
+ added rar
+ added DVD iso/img playback, no VIDEO_TS yet
+ bumped all PVR addons
+ added music visualisations
+ fixed, iOS/tvOS. poke pvr manager when we re-enter foreground
+ fixed, bring back dvd settings
+ pvr handling changes, buffer and friends
+ fixed, tvOS keyboard handling
+ fixed, pvr livetv buffering issue.
+ fixed, calling into smbc_stat with empty strings
+ fixed, nextpvr crashing when response is not ok.
Wasn't there initially but they added it after people complained.

Luschient

Got the Mrmc app since it appears to do exactly what I'm looking for.

I can get it to recognize the PC where my .iso files are sitting but it keeps asking for a username/password to move forward. I've tried every combination that I have, my PC doesn't have a u/p on it so I'm not sure what Mrmc needs.

I've Google'd this but can't find a solution so if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Vyer

Got the Mrmc app since it appears to do exactly what I'm looking for.

I can get it to recognize the PC where my .iso files are sitting but it keeps asking for a username/password to move forward. I've tried every combination that I have, my PC doesn't have a u/p on it so I'm not sure what Mrmc needs.

I've Google'd this but can't find a solution so if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

What Windows version do you have on your PC

Vyer

Do you have the folder where your isos are shared?

Is it a local account or a MS account? I'm guessing local, if you have no password. You should still have a username.

Luschient

Thanks for the help, I can now get it to see the folder but the movies aren't showing up.

My plan is ultimately to get a WD My Cloud and house all my movies on there to feed to the Apple tv. Will see if I have better luck getting Mrmc to display everything from there instead of my PC.

LevelNth

Banned
My plan is ultimately to get a WD My Cloud and house all my movies on there to feed to the Apple tv.
I'm pretty much tech illiterate when it comes to stuff like this, but is a setup like this possible on the 4 without the need for a Mac running iTunes?

I'd upgrade from my 3 if I can have a set up of just an external HD like that straight through to the Apple TV.

I'm pretty much tech illiterate when it comes to stuff like this, but is a setup like this possible on the 4 without the need for a Mac running iTunes?

I'd upgrade from my 3 if I can have a set up of just an external HD like that straight through to the Apple TV.

Not if you bought movies from iTunes due to the DRM (but you could just stream those), but if you're using something like Plex that has a NAS app you can.

CraigMcD

Thanks for the help, I can now get it to see the folder but the movies aren't showing up.

My plan is ultimately to get a WD My Cloud and house all my movies on there to feed to the Apple tv. Will see if I have better luck getting Mrmc to display everything from there instead of my PC.

Right-click the folder and go to Properties. Go to the Security tab, click Edit, then Add. Type Everyone, click Check Names and then OK. Under the Allow column underneath, make sure Read & execute, List folder contents and Read are checked before clicking OK.

Luschient

So I can get it to see my Video folder and see/play a couple of mp4s I have in there but it won't pull up the ISO files in the folder.

Bleh.

jts

...hate me...
Logged in with a US account on my Apple TV, and oh man, sooooooo many more video content apps in the app store, it’s ridiculous and amazing.

And got Siri to boot, which is also very very great.

Damn, you guys got it good.

Can login to iCloud with my main Apple ID and to the App Store with the american ID, so thank you based Tim.

Just lose Apple Music, but the hell with it, got Airplay anyway.

Top Bottom