• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Luschient

Just picked up a WD My Cloud and am currently moving an .iso file to it to see if the MrMC app will stream it.

If this works, it will save me around a billion years in time since I then won't have to recode all my .iso files to mp4 for the ATV to play them.

jts

...hate me...
Gonna buy a secondary Apple TV 3rd gen. It is majorly for Netflix. It's cheap.

Any objections?

Carlius

Banned
so, , does apple tv not recognize ehternet cable? i bought one but it only works with wifi and ethernet it says connected but it just doesnt work...LAAAME

eh? so waht is it? i have the one form the OP.
edit: do i need some kind of special router or something? it says connected, but it jsut doesnt work.

Hmm, it should work automatically, go to Settings > Network and check out why it might not be working or if it even detected the cable, could be a defective unit

jts

...hate me...
I've had an ATV2 before, which I haven't seen in ages, but seriously after getting used to the design of the ATV4, getting an ATV3 now and it just looks so much thinner and sleeker. Crazy. I know it isn't a priority for a TV box, but I wish Apple can make it thin again the next iteration, or at least redesign it from scratch with the new thermal requirements in mind, so that it isn't a poorly stretched old design.

Also, it's weird to use Netflix with the old ATV interface, but categories absolutelly rule.

AMC app is out

1920x1080.png

ngower

I'm having a weird issue lately. I use my ATV 2's optical out to a DAC to my stereo receiver. When I'm watching HBO Go or Netflix (but not Hulu) I get this terrible sound coming through the speakers. It's like this mechanical buzzing that keeps distorting, truly grating sound. I'm trying to figure out what's going on because this never happened before.

Draper

So, if I have a PS4, would this be worth it?

I'm looking for a more streamlined means of streaming movies from my mac, and just an overall better interface. Also, I wanna try out HBO Now, which the PS4 does not offer...

I'm looking for a more streamlined means of streaming movies from my mac, and just an overall better interface. Also, I wanna try out HBO Now, which the PS4 does not offer...

Get Plex set up on your Mac, it's absolutely the best way I've found to stream video files from a computer. You can use the Plex app on PS4, though if you decide to get an Apple TV the Plex app there I think is nicer to use.

There are also some apps that let you play media directly from a network shared disk on the Apple TV, if you have that set up. It's less versatile than Plex as far as file formats go but doesn't require your Mac to be on during streaming.

Quasar

Well...I have a ps4 and just find media playbacks on smaller devices like the atv4 and androidtv boxes just easier. Instant on being one reason and I find remotes better than controllers. I find apps speedier too.

Of course the ps4 actually has a amazon app.

Apparently we're getting Apple TV support in the next release of Retroarch. Get your side loads ready.

If you update the OS on an Apple TV does that remove all your sideloaded apps? I had Kodi installed but it disappeared after an update.

Luschient

So if anyone was like me and burned a ton of your DVDs to iso a few yrs back, the MrMC app will let you stream them to ATV.

This has saved me hours and hours of time since I thought I'd have to convert these to mp4 if I ever wanted to play them via ATV.

On a side note, is anyone using the Channels app?

Curious how well this works, would be nice getting live tv on this device.

GWX

There is one thing that really annoys me about the YouTube app: there is no way to manually refresh. Most of the times, I need to go to the multitasking carousel, scroll back to YouTube, manually force close it, and then reopen it through the menu. It is so time-consuming and so backwards I can't even comprehend. actually, the YouTube app is just an afterthought it seems, as it is lacking in so many areas. Bad Google is so bad that I actually wish the Apple TV had less RAM to force app reloads on itself more often lol.

Quasar

There is one thing that really annoys me about the YouTube app: there is no way to manually refresh. Most of the times, I need to go to the multitasking carousel, scroll back to YouTube, manually force close it, and then reopen it through the menu. It is so time-consuming and so backwards I can't even comprehend. actually, the YouTube app is just an afterthought it seems, as it is lacking in so many areas. Bad Google is so bad that I actually wish the Apple TV had less RAM to force app reloads on itself more often lol.

I have to do that with the Animelab too. Plex was like that initially too. They have at least put a refresh button inside the app now plus it refreshes itself too at certain intervals I think.

So if anyone was like me and burned a ton of your DVDs to iso a few yrs back, the MrMC app will let you stream them to ATV.

This has saved me hours and hours of time since I thought I'd have to convert these to mp4 if I ever wanted to play them via ATV.

On a side note, is anyone using the Channels app?

Curious how well this works, would be nice getting live tv on this device.

That's pretty cool. I still have a lot of folders with ISO rips off shows that will probably never have a digital release

kuppy

The aerial screensaver blacks out so often for me that I am now going with Apple photos. Maybe a future update will fix that bug.

I was wondering why my Ethernet-connected AppleTV was capping out at 94mbps when my iPhone gets 180mbps over wifi and I'm paying for 150mbps

Ethernet port is only 10/100, not 10/100/1000. Never though I'd run into that wall but here I am, switching from wired to wireless so I can literally double my speed

Quasar

New Apple TV update this fall will introduce single sign-on for cable authentication.

Also dark mode.

Looks like a great update

I'm still waiting for them to open up universal search with an api so people outside of major US networks can use it.

On they up side they did finally include youtube.

And hopefully the siri improvements overall means its voice recognition works better.

I'd just be happy if more app developers used log in codes rather than passwords. I use 1Password for everything, and man, typing in a ridiculously long and "cryptic" password only to fuck up a letter and have to start over again is the absolute worst. (I'm looking at you Vimeo.)

Quasar

hugocésar;206821316 said:
I'd just be happy if more app developers used log in codes rather than passwords. I use 1Password for everything, and man, typing in a ridiculously long and "cryptic" password only to fuck up a letter and have to start over again is the absolute worst. (I'm looking at you Vimeo.)

Well I just use the remote app and copy my logins from lastpass. Would be easier of course if there was a appletv lastpass app.

Ninja Dom

Just managed to buy a very cheap (£20) Apple TV 3rd Generation, not the new one. I haven't received it yet.

Quick question, I'm aware Apple's own documentation states that 60fps isn't supported on the 3rd gen, is this truly correct? 60fps YouTube videos and 60fps Home Sharing videos will play at 30fps?

kuppy

So I was having trouble with Music before and wanted to sort that out just now.
My library wasn't syncing properly, it would say that there is a problem connecting to the server. Retrying would reenable it but only for that moment of use.

A system reset made it work again. Oh well.
But I can't get my playlists to appear on my Apple TV.
As a matter of fact it seems like playlists are completely disabled for me on my Apple TV. I can't do any of the sort that is described in this iMore guide.

I do not have the Add to a Playlist… option.
I do not have the Add Playlist Songs to My Music.

What's up with that?
Do I have to be subscribed to Apple Music in order to have playlists appear on my Apple TV or something? That's like the only thing I don't have. Home Sharing is enabled, my playlists are live updating, it's the same account. I can find them through Computers, but that's not ideal, now is it.

Do you guys have playlists work for you? What's your setup?

Edit: Wait a second. This is actually a Apple Music membership only feature, you've got to be freaking kidding me.
Well, I have no interest in Apple Music. iTunes Match doesn't sound too bad. Although I think it should be included in my iCloud storage plan already and rather have me pay extra for additional storage space. Right now 25 bucks are too high for me and the little music that I have. But maybe if I expand more in the future I'll think about it. Okay.

Also why does that disable the option to create local playlists within Music on Apple TV. Decisions, huh.

At least I've got the syncing fixed.

picked up a current gen Apple TV (have been way from Apple TV hardware for years) and wow it really fits well if you're invested in apple gear already I'm quite pleasantly surprised.

I love that the volume is integrated with the TV (as well as on/off) and particularly like that if you go to Audio any airplay speakers show up - so my B&W speaker below the TV which sounds so much better, is immediately available.

The interface is nice and the fast startup and sleep and lower power use, is what I needed.

I'm not so interested in IOS games on it, and am not really picky about apps. I immediately bought Mr Robot season 1 and voila.

Ninja Dom

Alright so while I got a 3rd gen Apple TV for cheap I have also ordered a 4th gen. I'll hand the 3rd gen to my dad.

What's everybody's recommended apps?

Top Bottom