• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2012 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Best selling game sold less than 236K, Kid Icarus]

StevieP

Banned
Based on how iPad sales alone sell more than the entire console + handheld game market I'd say a decent amount are buying them for the family.

The rumors of a 200-250 7 inch iPad coming this fall aren't going to help matters.

You're smokin some funny stuff if you think the iPad mini's going to be 200 bucks.

pestul

Your Apple hypothesis could be one of many reasons; that parents who would have previously bought a dedicated handheld for their offspring, no longer do so, putting the budget towards an ipad instead. Something that can be justified as an educational and multimedia tool as well as a device that can be used for gaming.

I guess parents paying for their children's monthly smart phone bill might be cutting into game allowance sales too. Just another speculation..

params7

Banned
"Last April, the top seven titles outsold the top-selling title this year, and, simply stated, there were notably fewer new market introductions," said Frazier.

that's really very sad.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo charts. At least.

Wii

April Top 10

Mario Party 9
Just Dance 3
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
Zumba Fitness 2
Super Mario Galaxy
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond
Wii Sports
Mario Kart Wii
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Zumba Fitness

May 2011-April 2012 Top 10

Just Dance 3
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Just Dance 2
Zumba Fitness 2
Mario Kart Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Wii Sports
Michael Jackson The Experience

3DS

April Top 10

Kid Icarus: Uprising - 83k
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Sonic Generations
Tetris® Axis
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Cooking Mama 4: Kitchen Magic

Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Star Fox 64 3D
Kid Icarus: Uprising - 223k
Sonic Generations
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D EDITION

Warning: Considering the new YTD Chart starts from May 2011 datas, this means that both SSFIV 3D Edition and Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars lacks of their performances in March, the launch month ( SSFIV did 95k ) and in April, the month after launch

DS

April Top 10

LEGO Battles: Ninjago
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Pokémon White Version
Pokémon Black Version
Plants vs Zombies
Super Mario 64 DS
Toy Story 3: The Video Game
Moshi Monsters Moshling Zoo
Mario Party DS

New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Pokémon White Version
Pokémon Black Version
Cars 2: The Video Game
Plants vs Zombies
LEGO Battles: Ninjago
Kirby Mass Attack
Super Mario 64 DS
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game

Averon

3DS = 125K
NDS = 80K
PSV = 75K
PSP = 15K

Wow. The 3DS and the Vita performed even worse than my already low expectations. The 3DS is arguably worse given the massive price drop and games out for it.

Miles X

I can't say anything much really. Based on bits of info, my GUESSES are:

3DS = 125K
NDS = 80K
PSV = 75K
PSP = 15K

Those are completely unofficial, and probably have a good ±5K in them. They are just what I said: guesses.

Edit: I should stress that donny2112 works independently to do the predictions thread.

Gees even NDS is beating PSV!

3DS is terrible though all things considered, Nintendo played a big hand and it's not paying off.

Sagitario

Don't think I can help with that one either, not in the U.S. anyway :(

Help us with Tales of Graces then
XUvRE.gif

The big hand being rather small in comparison to NCL's hand.

Yeah, looking only at what's been released in Japan in the past five months, NOA's (and NOE's) hands have been pretty tied. Most of the games that have done well in Japan since MK7 either aren't well suited to Western markets, or require at least a few months of localization time.

That said, both Paper Mario and LM2 looked like they should have been completed by now, and I'm not sure why they still don't have release dates. They could have filled in the gaps in the H1 2012 schedule quite nicely.

jman2050

Yeah, looking only at what's been released in Japan in the past five months, NOA's (and NOE's) hands have been pretty tied. Most of the games that have done well in Japan since MK7 either aren't well suited to Western markets, or require at least a few months of localization time.

That said, both Paper Mario and LM2 looked like they should have been completed by now, and I'm not sure why they still don't have release dates. They could have filled in the gaps in the H1 2012 schedule quite nicely.

Looking at their initial software expectation for last year+what's been announced so far and it really seems like Nintendo expected more of their games to be ready by this time, but they had to be pushed back.

Mpl90

Gees even NDS is beating PSV!

3DS is terrible though all things considered, Nintendo played a big hand and it's not paying off.

It has almost 5 million done in 14 months. It paid off, and it'll continue to pay off. Just, they need freaking continuity of good content saleswise. And it seems it's coming. Maybe that's why Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario have been delayed, in order to guarantee a non stop period of releases after NSMB2 unleashes all its brutal strength.

BKK

I can't say anything much really. Based on bits of info, my GUESSES are:

3DS = 125K
NDS = 80K
PSV = 75K
PSP = 15K

Those are completely unofficial, and probably have a good ±5K in them. They are just what I said: guesses.

Edit: I should stress that donny2112 works independently to do the predictions thread.

April portable hardware sales;

2005: 601,000
2006: 470,000
2007: 738,000
2008: 607,500
2009: 1,156,000
2010: 506,300
2011: 540,000
2012: 295,000

Mpl90

2011: 451,000 + PSP

One thing to note, or otherwise it seems "absurd": April 2009 saw the DSi launch.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

2011: 451,000 + PSP

oh wow

This year is gonna be fun. How's the handheld software lineup during the summer draught?

Mpl90

oh wow

This year is gonna be fun. How's the handheld software lineup during the summer draught?

June: Pokèmon Conquest, Gravity Daze, Heroes of Ruin, Rayman Origins 3DS
July: Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy, Rhtyhm Thief, KH3D
August: New Super Mario Bros. 2, Brain Training 3 (?)

oh wow

Pokemon Conquest in June will do decently. There's nothing else major (in terms of likely sales) until KH3D at the very end of July, followed by NSMB2 sometime in August.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
June: Pokèmon Conquest, Gravity Daze, Heroes of Ruin, Rayman Origins 3DS
July: Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy, Rhtyhm Thief, KH3D
August: New Super Mario Bros. 2, Brain Training 3 (?)

I see NSMB doing very well and moving systems... The other games though, idk man, does Final Fantasy still move systems today? Looks depressing for hardware sales :/

Mario Party 9
Just Dance 3
Zumba Fitness 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Sports
Mario Kart Wii
Zumba Fitness

And people wonder why third parties didn't support the Wii.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And people wonder why third parties didn't support the Wii.

Mario Party 9
Just Dance 3
Zumba Fitness 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Sports
Mario Kart Wii
Zumba Fitness

Wow. Did you even bother reading the chart?

Mario Party 9
Just Dance 3
Zumba Fitness 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Sports
Mario Kart Wii
Zumba Fitness

Wow. Did you even bother reading the chart?

Goal posts to be moved in 3..2...1...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

To me, I think this emphasizes the idea that people just really aren't clamoring for new hardware right now and are happy with the old stuff. I fully expect the same thing to happen with the new home consoles.

As long as Nintendo realizes this is the new normal they will be fine but Sony is screwed cause this market ain't big enough for two.

Their best move at this point might be to just let the year play out, then do a re-branding and relaunch next year positioning the Vita as a multifunction, multimedia device that also plays high quality games. By then it could have a $200 price point along with bundled memory and if marketed right it will be a solid success although GAF might not like the lessened focus on games.

Plinko

As long as Nintendo realizes this is the new normal they will be fine but Sony is screwed cause this market ain't big enough for two.

Their best move at this point might be to just let the year play out, then do a re-branding and relaunch next year positioning the Vita as a multifunction, multimedia device that also plays high quality games. By then it could have a $200 price point along with bundled memory and if marketed right it will be a solid success although GAF might not like the lessened focus on games.

In this market, I don't see Sony ever releasing another handheld.

muu

The problem I see with this approach is that they've already tried this with their 'PS Suite' stuff. PS Phone and those wonky tablets (I assume) supported the standard, but were largely left out to rot. The multimedia device wars is already a iOS vs Android thing, and unless Sony wants to be just another pawn on the Android side there's really no chance of making a splash.

Top Bottom