• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

3ds was selling waaaay above WiiU's current sales, Gamecube also above and not exactly what most would consider a healthy life, PS1 had massive supply issues iirc.

Oh, I forgot, Wii U is actually selling better than both PS3/360 at this time in their lifecycle, worldwide.

But even that is not the point.

The real story is that Wii U will eventually bring in a profit (if it hasn't done so already), so it's really just up to Nintendo to drive sales of the console with their own first party efforts.

As long as Nintendo doesn't end up in a $4 Billion hole and 5 years straight worth of losses like Sony did with the PS3, they'll be fine.

jakncoke

Banned
"according to aggregated figures from VG Chartz."

It actually is a huge difference PS3 was selling 2 to 3 times as much per month in the same period in the US and PS3 old more in it's first week in EU than the WiiU sold in it's first four months

Amazing how made up numbers by random people on a site gained so much traction on the internet :|

jvm

Gamasutra.
"according to aggregated figures from VG Chartz."
pieatorium, why bother to engage dragonfart28 when this is their source? Just let it go. Either doesn't realize that that source can't be trusted or doesn't care. Neither is acceptable for discourse here.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Fine.

Here's Eurogamer quoting Nintendo.

Officially.

And the number is 3.45 million units as of April 24th.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rofit-despite-lower-than-expected-wii-u-sales
Shipped to retailers.

Officially tally to consumers in the U.S. is 1.08mm by that point. Add 10% for the rest of North America and call it 1.2mm for an even number. Probably 900K in Japan (not sure, I don't cover that usually). Call it a million and we're up to 2.2 million. Europe has been their weakest region. Call it 900K. So they're at 3.1mm, best case. Or something like that. The guys here will correct me...

The denial is hilarious.

Why would someone who owns every system be in denial?

I have no allegiance except to the truth.

Shipped to retailers.

Officially tally to consumers in the U.S. is 1.08mm by that point. Add 10% for the rest of North America and call it 1.2mm for an even number. Probably 900K in Japan (not sure, I don't cover that usually). Call it a million and we're up to 2.2 million. Europe has been their weakest region. Call it 900K. So they're at 3.2mm, best case. Or something like that. The guys here will correct me...

That's still a decent number even though it wasn't up to expectation.

But my original point was that taking the first four months isn't a determinant of the rest of the year.

Especially since first party titles will be driving big sales in the holiday season.

Shipped to retailers.

Officially tally to consumers in the U.S. is 1.08mm by that point. Add 10% for the rest of North America and call it 1.2mm for an even number. Probably 900K in Japan (not sure, I don't cover that usually). Call it a million and we're up to 2.2 million. Europe has been their weakest region. Call it 900K. So they're at 3.1mm, best case. Or something like that. The guys here will correct me...
I think Europe is far less than that given the estimates from pixel counting and inference - they gave us a figure of around 550K through to the end of March.
you mean 100k?
To clarify is this in reference to total WIU SW in April?

But my original point was that taking the first four months isn't a determinant of the rest of the year.
The PS3 sold, in 1 week, more than the Wii U sold in four months in Europe. That is not decent. And it was a ridiculously expensive console.

Oh, I forgot, Wii U is actually selling better than both PS3/360 at this time in their lifecycle, worldwide.
How can you possibly try to get away with this? Exactly what goes through your head when doing something like this? This is plain and simple ignoring the facts or downright laying.

Does anyone with a background in psycology knows if this type of conduct can be dangerous in every day life?

Especially since first party titles will be driving big sales in the holiday season.
It's tracking below pretty much everything when launch aligned, the only way to make Wii U sales look good is to focus on the first two months of launch; the sales after that dropped off a cliff. It's not selling better than anyone, apart from maybe the Vita in month to month sales, which isn't anything to brag about.

It didn't meet Nintendo's sales expectations last financial year, and it probably won't meet it this year either.

Shipped to retailers.

Famitsu has it at 918K and Media Create at 917K so that's about right actually!

It's tracking below pretty much everything when launch aligned, the only way to make Wii U sales look good is to focus on the first two months of launch; the sales after that dropped off a cliff. It's not selling better than anyone, apart from maybe the Vita in month to month sales.

No one said it's selling "good".

But it's hardly a failure.

When it gets past this holiday is still seeing sub par sales, then it's a problem.

No one said it's selling "good".

But it's hardly a failure.

When it gets past this holiday is still seeing sub par sales, then it's a problem.
It failed to meet Nintendo's expectations and targets, despite being revised downwards last FY and it will likely fail to meet targets next FY.

It's a failure to Nintendo.

jvm

Gamasutra.
To the top 10. Injustice was 3rd at around 20k.
I'm not so sure. I think the Wii U could have sold around 110K max this past month. Not just top 10.

Edit: Just to clarify, I believe that Wii U is hovering around 2% of total sales in terms of dollars. Total dollar sales were $254mm and 2% of that is $5.1mm. At an ASP of $40, that would work out to 128K units. At an ASP of $60 that would work out to 85K units.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dragonfart spinning WiiU as "not a failure" because they haven't started trying yet, and that its selling better than PS3/360, and on par with the "poor selling" PS1, Gamecube, and 3DS. Incredible. Thats some seriously thick and viscous reality distortion going on there.

Caps off a perfect week of Nintendo madness really.

CrunchyB

3ds was selling waaaay above WiiU's current sales, Gamecube also above and not exactly what most would consider a healthy life, PS1 had massive supply issues iirc.

Nah, the PS1 didn't have major supply issues. It just took a year or two to really get going. For a little while the N64 put up a fight, but when that system was hit by massive software droughts the PS1 pulled ahead in spectacular fashion.

Dragonfart spinning WiiU as "not a failure" because they haven't started trying yet, and that its selling better than PS3/360, and on par with the "poor selling" PS1, Gamecube, and 3DS. Incredible. Thats some seriously thick and viscous reality distortion going on there.

Caps off a perfect week of Nintendo madness really.
I don't really understand what's the goal with that behaviour. What i find amazing is that people go out of the way to engage him in disscussion.

Have you seen any of the Wii U specs threads? That place is... there are some guys that are Nintendo aligned but also have some tech know how. That's the most letal type of fanatic you could tackle. The partiality is so obvious that they even let some nutcases a free pass as long as they talk nice about their system of devotion. There's a guy there putting the Wii (yea, the first one) runing some effects in wich some 360 games have problem handling.

Is like a circle of hell with only mad people in it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I don't really understand what's the goal with that behaviour. What i find amazing is that people go out of the way to engage him in disscussion.
Someone's wrong on the internet. We've all been there, no?
duty_calls.png

I admit it: I fall prey to it from time to time.

I fall prey to this way more than I'm willing to admit.

It can be pretty saddening when you realise some people would rather make up their own reality concerning sales/facts than deal with the fact that something they like might not be selling great.

I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run though, it's just a hobby.

Mario should be around 25K or so, given its sustained 70% attach rate?

Is there a YTD software revenue share for the Wii U and/or can aligned comparisons be made to other platform launches e.g. the 360 in 2006 or PS3 in 2007.

duty_calls.png

Btw, it doesn't mean much but some times i get to read your articles. Great and indepth stuff, if it means smething coming from this humble servant. Hopefuly you continue your fantastic work and in some months you'll get some really cool data to analyse and revive things a little bit more. What a boring start/end of generations this has been.

Mario should be around 25K or so, given its sustained 70% attach rate?

Is there a YTD software revenue share for the Wii U and/or can aligned comparisons be made to other platform launches e.g. the 360 in 2006 or PS3 in 2007.
Lego City was 2nd, so between 20-25k for it then. If MH3U held last month's 3DS/U ratio it'd be 14k+. We're at around 80-85k for 4 known games then, though likely the top 4.

Striek

So I found these figures for Wii U and Vita April NPD.

I know they are in line with Creamsugar's leaks, but I have no idea if they are actually correct, so take with a massive grain of salt:

Vita - 15,000 units sold in April

Wii U - 38,000 units sold in April

Report on 2ch.
Given how it fits with Creamsugar's hints, I'm going to hedge a bet that it's accurate.
But that's just my personal opinion on the matter.

Supposing it is accurate:

Wii U average weekly sales:

November 2012 NPD: 425,000 units (launch, one week of sales)
December 2012 NPD: 92,000 units
January 2013 NPD: 11,200 units
February 2013 NPD: 16,500 units
March 2013 NPD: 13,400 units
April 2013 NPD: 9,500 units

Month-to-month average weekly change:

Between DEC-JAN - 87.8% decrease
Between JAN-FEB - 47.3% increase
Between FEB-MAR - 18.8% decrease
Between MAR-APR - 29.1% decrease

November 2012 NPD: 106,250 units
December 2012 NPD: 92,000 units
January 2013 NPD: 11,200 units
February 2013 NPD: 16,500 units
March 2013 NPD: 13,400 units
April 2013 NPD: 9,500 units
I wouldn't really average out the November sales. It was on sale for a week.

As for December, I would posit a theory that despite the total number being somewhat respectable, sales were already declining alarmingly during that period - where normally the Christmas shopping season should have sustained them. I.e. I don't there was a precipitous fall from 92K a week to 11K, but rather a decline from maybe a second week of 200K to something like a 20K week at the end of December.

I wouldn't really average out the November sales. It was on sale for a week.

As for December, I would posit a theory that despite the total number being somewhat respectable, sales were already declining alarmingly during that period - where normally the Christmas shopping season should have sustained them. I.e. I don't there was a precipitous fall from 92K a week to 11K, but rather a decline from maybe a second week of 200K to something like a 20K week at the end of December.

Oh yeah. Fixed that.

Road

So I found these figures for Wii U and Vita April NPD.

I know they are in line with Creamsugar's leaks, but I have no idea if they are actually correct, so take with a massive grain of salt:

Vita - 15,000 units sold in April

Wii U - 38,000 units sold in April

Pretty sure they're just guesses.

Not that it changes anything whether Wii U sold 38k or 35k, or whether Vita is 18k or 15k.

Pretty sure they're just guesses.

Not that it changes anything whether Wii U sold 38k or 35k, or whether Vita is 18k or 15k.

Just doing the math, assuming 38K Wii U and 18K Vita: In the April reporting period, ~9500 Wii Us and ~4500 Vita units were sold each week.

4434 GameStop + 4043 Wal-Mart + 1764 Target + ~1000 Best Buy locations in the US (couldn't find an exact current number) = ~11,241 chain/big box stores carrying both systems.

If those were the only stores carrying both - and they aren't, so the actual figure is even worse - each store, on average, would have sold one Wii U system about every 1.2 weeks, and one Vita system every two and a half weeks. Astoundingly bad.

Just doing the math, assuming 38K Wii U and 18K Vita: In the April reporting period, ~9500 Wii Us and ~4500 Vita units were sold each week.

4434 GameStop + 4043 Wal-Mart + 1764 Target + ~1000 Best Buy locations in the US (couldn't find an exact current number) = ~11,241 chain/big box stores carrying both systems.

If those were the only stores carrying both - and they aren't, so the actual figure is even worse - each store, on average, would have sold one Wii U system about every 1.2 weeks, and one Vita system every two and a half weeks. Astoundingly bad.
There are apparently 25,000 stores that carry video games in the US.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
creamsugar, can you comment whether DS was >, < or ~ Wii + Vita?

Unless jvm has updated his numbers, this is what the best estimate is:

Xbox 360 = 130K
PS3 = 100,500 (I added 500 to put it over 100k)
Wii U = 38K
3DS = 101,500
NDS = 60K
Wii = 42K
PSV = 15K
PS2 + PSP = 7K

Also, unless DS numbers are significantly higher than jvm's estimates, this was the worst sales months for video games systems by the big three in the past decade:

1. April 2013 494,000
2. May 2012 628,000
3. August 2012 708,000
4. July 2012 720,040
5. April 2012 789,444

Will next month drop below 450k? Tune in to find out!

creamsugar, can you comment whether DS was double Wii U or > Wii U + Vita?

Unless jvm has updated his numbers, this is what the best estimate is:

Xbox 360 = 130K
PS3 = 100,500 (I added 500 to put it over 100k)
Wii U = 38K
3DS = 102K
NDS = 60K
Wii = 42K
PSV = 15K
PS2 + PSP = 7K

The bolded seem a bit off. How did you come to those numbers?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The bolded seem a bit off. How did you come to those numbers?
jvm estimated 60k for DS; that number came from his calculation of total sales divided by ASP for each system using the ranges provided by creamsugar and the month-over-month decline given by the NPD. That's why I was asking creamsugar to clarify it. As for 3DS, originally he had it at 100k and 102k for PS3 but creamsugar said 3DS > PS3 so I switched them.

Duxxy3

jvm posted estimates 60k for DS; that number came from his calculation of total sales divided by ASP for each system using the ranges provided by creamsguar. That's why I was asking creamsugar to clarify it. As for 3DS, originally he had it at 100k and 102k for PS3 but creamsugar said 3DS > PS3 so I switched them.

Wow - the DS sold 60k units. Those should have been 3DS sales, but the 3DS still isn't at the impulse buy price.

Price is king in America.

Top Bottom