• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I think you overshot the Vita prediction.

Nintendo NPD Reply
A strong launch for LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins helped Nintendo 3DS™ maintain its torrid pace in 2013. Through the first four months of the year, Nintendo has already sold more than 2.1 million units of first-party Nintendo 3DS software in the U.S. alone, an increase of 52 percent over the same time period last year. In 2012, it took 30 weeks for Nintendo 3DS to sell 2 million units of first-party software. In 2013, the platform accomplished that same feat in 18 weeks.

With the peak holiday selling season still ahead and a strong lineup of upcoming games that includes Donkey Kong Country™ Returns 3D on May 24, Animal Crossing™: New Leaf on June 9, Mario and Luigi™: Dream Team on Aug. 11, as well as new titles in the Pokémon™, Mario Golf™ and Legend of Zelda™ franchises, Nintendo 3DS is poised to have the strongest year of sales in its history.

Some notable sales numbers* achieved by Nintendo in April include:

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins sold nearly 94,000 combined physical and digital copies after launching on April 24.
Luigi’s Mansion™: Dark Moon sold more than 140,000 combined physical and digital units in April and has now sold more than 530,000 total units to date.
In its sixth month on the market, New Super Mario Bros.™ U for the Wii U™ system increased its lifetime sales total to nearly 770,000 combined physical and digital units.

During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20. At the upcoming E3 trade show in June in Los Angeles, Nintendo expects to show attendees upcoming Wii U games from the Mario Kart™, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.™ franchises.

So basically, every single owner of a Wii U has NSMBU... or about that.

Nintendo 3DS First-Party Software Sales Are Up 52 Percent in 2013

A strong launch for LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins helped Nintendo 3DS™ maintain its torrid pace in 2013. Through the first four months of the year, Nintendo has already sold more than 2.1 million units of first-party Nintendo 3DS software in the U.S. alone, an increase of 52 percent over the same time period last year. In 2012, it took 30 weeks for Nintendo 3DS to sell 2 million units of first-party software. In 2013, the platform accomplished that same feat in 18 weeks.

With the peak holiday selling season still ahead and a strong lineup of upcoming games that includes Donkey Kong Country™ Returns 3D on May 24, Animal Crossing™: New Leaf on June 9, Mario and Luigi™: Dream Team on Aug. 11, as well as new titles in the Pokémon™, Mario Golf™ and Legend of Zelda™ franchises, Nintendo 3DS is poised to have the strongest year of sales in its history.

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins sold nearly 94,000 combined physical and digital copies after launching on April 24.
Luigi’s Mansion™: Dark Moon sold more than 140,000 combined physical and digital units in April and has now sold more than 530,000 total units to date.
In its sixth month on the market, New Super Mario Bros.™ U for the Wii U™ system increased its lifetime sales total to nearly 770,000 combined physical and digital units.
During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20. At the upcoming E3 trade show in June in Los Angeles, Nintendo expects to show attendees upcoming Wii U games from the Mario Kart™, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.™ franchises.

*Data regarding physical sales of games in April are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers are specific to the United States only.
I'm reading between the lines but... I don't think the Wii U sold very well.

Anth0ny

During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20.

charlie_murphy_laughidzjod.gif

Mileena

Banned
During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20.

Ahahahahahahahah

Worse than Vita. Jesus christ.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nintendo 3DS First-Party Software Sales Are Up 52 Percent in 2013

*Data regarding physical sales of games in April are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers are specific to the United States only.
Thanks.

OP updated.

Miles X

Next month is going to be a bloodbath, something like

X360: 90k
PS3: 60k
Wii: 30k
WiiU: 18k
Vita: ???

Going by the April to May drops last year.

Yamauchi

Banned
boat-sinking-o.gif

NSMBU at 770K, has typically held a 70% attach rate iirc. Wii U LTD sales probably around 1.1M, up from the 1.075M last month. I think people's predictions of ~30K are on the mark.
The grandma driving down the block at 30 mph is going at a torrid pace!
I lol'd at both their statement and yours.

Need some price drops for this generation. When was the last time that happened? Guarantee there are many holding out for <$200 priced machines. Shame we're not there yet.

I don't think there are that many holdouts left. Those consoles are in twilight.

Delio

#1 console only sold 130K? Christ. Wonder how low the Failure Buddies got.

PS4 and Durango will reinvigorate sales, but I doubt it'll be to the extent the industry needs right now.

I do wonder how much the PS4/Durango will shift the industry back into high gear. Right now Price drops seem to be the best way to go.

donmattrickmitc.gif

Gartooth

If casual consumers aren't buying consoles at $200 and $300, what makes you think they'll buy more consoles at $400 and $500?

As much as I hate to say it, I think by prolonging this generation the big 3 (and the AAA games industry as well) has doomed itself to losing a lot of the casual consumers that were supporting titles back in 2007-2010 to PC's and smartphones.

The scary thing is, is that even with new consoles they might not want to come back and instead be satisfied with what they have now. Granted we haven't even seen the next Xbox and there is a lot that we don't yet know about PS4, but I'm just not sure they will have the appeal that those types of consumers are looking for.

wrowa

Damn, they got me.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
cream, when you'll come, please give us RETAIL numbers for both Luigi and Lego, among all the other things. Thanks XD

NeoUltima

What the fuck is it going to take for MS and Sony to drop the goddamn price of their consoles? They should only be like $150 by now....

I would guess, people who buy consoles at $150 are not likely to buy a lot of new games. No reason to eliminate what little profit margin the hardware has when they won't make it up in software royalties (used games, cheap games, development moving to next gen).

Even if 360/PS3 have a $100 profit margin (they don't), a $100 price drop would require their sales to double. Price drops are not worth it at this point.

edit: glad to see I was beaten in pointing this out.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder how much the PS4/Durango will shift the industry back into high gear. Right now Price drops seem to be the best way to go.
It'll be interesting to see what they do. I assume we'll have first month sell outs of course, and probably high December sales but unless there's some really interesting, different stuff that's coming out for the systems I wouldn't be surprised if they had major, major lulls in the beginning of 2014.

Talamius

So the two newest products on the market are bombs? Gonna be a lot of nervous people at MS and Sony this fall (even moreso at Sony).

NSMBU at 770K, has typically held a 70% attach rate iirc. Wii U LTD sales probably around 1.1M, up from the 1.075M last month. I think people's predictions of ~30K are on the mark.
I lol'd at both their statement and yours.

its possible the monthly attach rate may have dropped a bit now there are other games worth buying

yes i'm clutching at straws, could be right though

Top Bottom