• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

130K at 44.9% YOY for Xbox 360 is absolutely fucking horrible.

I expected 183K, and I was lowballing it.

Xbox mini can't get here quick enough, they may have to lower their prices

Agreed. With the Durango's announcement imminent, Xbox 360 sales are really slowing down.

Not saying Durango's announcement is a key factor for Xbox 360 sales slowdown...but it is an interesting coincidence.

Calamari41

41 > 38
With the clear fatigue for this current generation, I wonder if Nintendo would be killing it right now if they had released a console with noticeable power. Not even PS4 level, but something a clear step up. What a disaster for them that they went this route.

Bruno MB

Luigi’s Mansion™: Dark Moon sold more than 140,000 combined physical and digital units in April and has now sold more than 530,000 total units to date.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

US - 530,000 (physical + digital copies)
Japan - 691,921 (physical copies)
Europe - ?

Total - 1,221,921

Empty

luigi's mansion sales are encouraging. happy for next level.

i don't even want to know what vita sold if the 360 is that low :/

DaBoss

Agreed. With Durango's announcement imminent, Xbox 360 sales are really slowing down.

But why would you consider the Durango's announcement as a major factor? People buying it now won't give a shit about Durango until a lot later. The price is too damn high.

Let's say the 360 brings in $60 profit for Microsoft per unit and they sell 130K, so $7.8M in profit.

Let's say prior to this month they dropped the price by $50, and subsequently make $10 a unit. Sales were 260K instead i.e. they increased by 100%. They subsequently generate $2.8M in profit instead.

This is probably oversimplified, but these are presumably the calculations that go into determining whether to adjust the price lever.

Pretty much this. Profit margins for PS3 and X360 must be so insanely high that it will took very low sales before they will do price drop for these consoles especially as hardware prices don't drive software sales anymore this late in the gen.

Delio

It'll be interesting to see what they do. I assume we'll have first month sell outs of course, and probably high December sales but unless there's some really interesting, different stuff that's coming out for the systems I wouldn't be surprised if they had major, major lulls in the beginning of 2014.

Holidays will be fine no doubt. I worry about after that period tho.

B.O.O.M

"a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises"

LOL not gonna lie don't think I have seen this been said before by anyone else.

Vita numbers are gonna be horrid as usual

WiiU..well...wtf were they thinking with those sales expectations for the year? :S Wonder how bad it is

Sandfox

I expected Pikmin and wonderful 101 to actually come out before a year passed.

Even then its kinda weird to go buy no games at launch when you could have just picked it up when the games came out.

The big publishers will be just as worried. If the upcoming next gen consoles bomb, those mega expensive AAA next gen game will become financial disasters that could take down most of the industry.

That is already happening somewhat TBQH.

ymmv

Banned
So the two newest products on the market are bombs? Gonna be a lot of nervous people at MS and Sony this fall (even moreso at Sony).

The big publishers will be just as worried. If the upcoming next gen consoles bomb, those mega expensive AAA next gen game will become financial disasters that could take down most of the industry.

But why would you consider the Durango's announcement as a major factor? People buying it now won't give a shit about Durango until a lot later. The price is too damn high.

I'm not...I mean (at the time period that the Durango's announcement is imminent), Xbox 360 sales have slowed down significantly.

Ridley327

That Nintendo PR for the Wii U is so odd with how often they keep highlighting Planes. Wouldn't be more beneficial to highlight a game with some hype towards it instead, like Disney Infinity?

Nintendo 3DS First-Party Software Sales Are Up 52 Percent in 2013

A strong launch for LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins helped Nintendo 3DS™ maintain its torrid pace in 2013. Through the first four months of the year, Nintendo has already sold more than 2.1 million units of first-party Nintendo 3DS software in the U.S. alone, an increase of 52 percent over the same time period last year. In 2012, it took 30 weeks for Nintendo 3DS to sell 2 million units of first-party software. In 2013, the platform accomplished that same feat in 18 weeks.

With the peak holiday selling season still ahead and a strong lineup of upcoming games that includes Donkey Kong Country™ Returns 3D on May 24, Animal Crossing™: New Leaf on June 9, Mario and Luigi™: Dream Team on Aug. 11, as well as new titles in the Pokémon™, Mario Golf™ and Legend of Zelda™ franchises, Nintendo 3DS is poised to have the strongest year of sales in its history.

Some notable sales numbers* achieved by Nintendo in April include:

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins sold nearly 94,000 combined physical and digital copies after launching on April 24.
Luigi’s Mansion™: Dark Moon sold more than 140,000 combined physical and digital units in April and has now sold more than 530,000 total units to date.
In its sixth month on the market, New Super Mario Bros.™ U for the Wii U™ system increased its lifetime sales total to nearly 770,000 combined physical and digital units.
During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20. At the upcoming E3 trade show in June in Los Angeles, Nintendo expects to show attendees upcoming Wii U games from the Mario Kart™, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.™ franchises.

*Data regarding physical sales of games in April are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers are specific to the United States only.

Was hoping for an update on Fire Emblem 's sales.
Needless to say. Wii-U numbers will be pretty darn bad.

People are waiting for next gen, and are probably well aware that current systems sill drop in price relatively soon. This equals disaster scenario for current consoles. At least that is what I hope is happening, but I have heard both excuses from people.

Azure J

It's like people didn't learn their lesson with Wii. Droughts like crazy and lackluster 3rd party support. Right now WiiU is getting pathetically paltry 1st party support.

Admittedly, with Wii, you started with the piece of software that lit the universe on fire and a Zelda that was hyped to hell and back as "da bess". We would also be going into the E3 that solidified more info on Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy.

Wii U has nothing on that former tier and from what's been talked about/shown maybe X to brag about/get people excited in the same way that Zelda did. At the same time, they're first to the party and looming in the wings are a much more hungry, focused, and gamer friendly Sony and a soon to be revealed new Microsoft console.

Nintendo 3DS First-Party Software Sales Are Up 52 Percent in 2013

A strong launch for LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins helped Nintendo 3DS™ maintain its torrid pace in 2013. Through the first four months of the year, Nintendo has already sold more than 2.1 million units of first-party Nintendo 3DS software in the U.S. alone, an increase of 52 percent over the same time period last year. In 2012, it took 30 weeks for Nintendo 3DS to sell 2 million units of first-party software. In 2013, the platform accomplished that same feat in 18 weeks.

With the peak holiday selling season still ahead and a strong lineup of upcoming games that includes Donkey Kong Country™ Returns 3D on May 24, Animal Crossing™: New Leaf on June 9, Mario and Luigi™: Dream Team on Aug. 11, as well as new titles in the Pokémon™, Mario Golf™ and Legend of Zelda™ franchises, Nintendo 3DS is poised to have the strongest year of sales in its history.

Some notable sales numbers* achieved by Nintendo in April include:

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins sold nearly 94,000 combined physical and digital copies after launching on April 24.
In its sixth month on the market, New Super Mario Bros.™ U for the Wii U™ system increased its lifetime sales total to nearly 770,000 combined physical and digital units.
During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20. At the upcoming E3 trade show in June in Los Angeles, Nintendo expects to show attendees upcoming Wii U games from the Mario Kart™, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.™ franchises.

*Data regarding physical sales of games in April are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers are specific to the United States only.

Disney's Planes? Really? REALLY? REALLY!!!???

8p10n.gif

Top Bottom