• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with GAF's current pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aexact

I used to check here pretty frequently but the only thread I check when I visit now is this one, haha.

Also the lambasting of the way things were before comes off like the Fox and the sour grapes. I mean, that’s a sort of clique-ish sort of “America, love it or leave it” that I personally find more offputting than the supposed Social Justice hot take of OLDgaf.

Just hanging around to see what happens and kinda out of force of habit.

Kikujiro

It's never been better. There was rarely anything of substance to read on oldGAF. You'd have to skip the first 5 - 6 pages of an interesting topic to get to any sort of meaningful discussion. It would usually be an endless wave of reactionary shit-posting and quoting the first dumb post so that enough people knew that you got the reference.

They don't have their precious mods to protect their voices anymore, or enough of their friends to join in on a good ole fashion dog pile.

Do tell. I recall you being an active participant in the OT dogpiles. Why haven't you moved on to ResetEra?

Can always count on GAF for some quality shit posting.

norm9

Same threads from yesterday still on the first page. WIth time, it'll probably speed up, but right now, it's far too slow when I've only got a few free minutes from work to goof off and see the same things.

TimFL

I honestly don't care about any of the owner drama, I value GAF as a community and news source for gaming (and sometimes stuff like Apple product releases or movies) so it hurts me to see the current pace.

IMHO closing the site down for 48h+ and having the off topic section removed for a week was kind of a few nails in the coffin. I don't know how I would've done it differently, but I knew the second GAF went down that it'd change things forever. Not sure if there's a way to come back from this now that another community started to gain momentum.
I've seen it with different communities that served different purposes: something happens that causes an outcry (accusations, owners being lazy, a change in direction or w/e) and people try to create another place.
I think GAF has to learn to co-exist with the competition now, which could either be a good thing (more active development for GAF) or a bad thing (all goodwill lost).

I feel, however, indifferent about what's going on behind the scenes. I just want my place to discuss games and other forms of entertainment.

Blam

Can always count on GAF for some quality shit posting.

Sure you've got a point, but he's right you know.

Quite a shitload of threads were derailed I remember at least when a lot of people say

"Dumb post quoted"

wow should have been first post.

It's never been better. There was rarely anything of substance to read on oldGAF. You'd have to skip the first 5 - 6 pages of an interesting topic to get to any sort of meaningful discussion. It would usually be an endless wave of reactionary shit-posting and quoting the first dumb post so that enough people knew that you got the reference.
I hated that so much. This, along with the ridiculous echo chamber and overly sensitive nature of a ton of posters pretty much kept me from posting in most OT threads. Reset has been a great place so far, and I'm hoping for a more balanced table of sorts, but I'll say that I've actually liked looking on GAF every now and then. I'll stay on both for the time being. Hopefully Reset continues with it's wonderful start, and GAF gets back up as well.

I'd rather have a slow forum, than seeing all the passive aggressive posts that you'll ignore anyway. I remember someone posting about drivers who park rear-first and how he was annoyed by that. Awesome.

OT has been purged in a way.

Paterson

Banned
Most of the outrage-addicted idiots left and went to the other site. I admit though, it was fun going through their post history and watching them jump from thread to thread getting outraged at something new. Pathetic individuals leading pathetic sad little lives. Now just doing it on a different platform. Hell, they even modded one of those dopes (Morrigan).

It's a slow ghost town but at least the staff have stopped inserting themselves into topics as much, that's a plus knowing what goes on with them.

Skux

I told myself I'd post on both forums but there's no point when you look at the activity here. I thought it'd be about a 50/50 split but it's more like 95/5.

GAF isn't a place, it's a people. And the people have moved on.

I told myself I'd post on both forums but there's no point when you look at the activity here. I thought it'd be about a 50/50 split but it's more like 95/5.

GAF isn't a place, it's a people. And the people have moved on.

Forums are spaces on the Internet first and if people would treat them as the tools they are instead of trying to make them something bigger/feel like a part of something or whatever there wouldn't be this kind of drama in the first place.

I remember when the NeoGAF tagline was still undecided and someone suggested something like "a forum on the Internet". Really should have been that.

Skux

Forums are spaces on the Internet first and if people would treat them as the tools they are instead of trying to make them something bigger/feel like a part of something or whatever there wouldn't be this kind of drama in the first place.

I remember when the NeoGAF tagline was still undecided and someone suggested something like "a forum on the Internet". Really should have been that.

Yes it's a space with tools, but people use whatever tools they're given to create with their own culture. GAF didn't mandate OT and community and buy/sell threads. That was all organised and managed by members.

T-Rex.

Banned
Most of the outrage-addicted idiots left and went to the other site. I admit though, it was fun going through their post history and watching them jump from thread to thread getting outraged at something new. Pathetic individuals leading pathetic sad little lives. Now just doing it on a different platform. Hell, they even modded one of those dopes (Morrigan).
loool

You shouldn't call the people who left, 'outraged idiots', they had very good reasoning.

However my opinion is, meh, we're all deplorables for staying here. (with a hint of nostalgia for how things used to be)

I will stick around, however I am on the competitionb site also. Interesting times ahead and will be there for the ride. Can't see myself leaving either as both have their merits. I mostly post in OT and lurk in gaming. I keep up to date with the games but hardly have the time to play so have more to say in OT. Hence waiting to see what happens. Perhaps it will pick up, perhaps it wont. Time will tell

OCD Guy

You shouldn't call the people who left, 'outraged idiots', they had very good reasoning.

However my opinion is, meh, we're all deplorables for staying here. (with a hint of nostalgia for how things used to be)

I don't think his comment is exclusive to the Evilore "drama". There were some people that literally just spent their time on this forum being offended on behalf of other people and trying to talk down other people from their pedestal.

It would have been quite interesting to be a fly on the wall in some of their homes, as I just know some of them probably had a shit load of weird stuff they were hiding. But it's easy to portray yourself as "perfect" when no-one knows anything about you.

Some of the most active threads were made awkward to post in at times, because you knew that if you said anything you'd have 5 of the most vocal posters jumping on your post. Those same people would also belittle your opinion if you were a junior member, as if post count makes a difference to how valid something is lol.

Nephtis

Don’t care about pace, I care about the quality of the threads made.

Silly threads are fine though - I’ve done them too. However it was getting too toxic so this may be a break we all need.

Maybe starting a new forum will work out for them and I hope it does. But I’m sticking to this one for a while and maybe lurk the other one.

I don't think his comment is exclusive to the Evilore "drama". There were some people that literally just spent their time on this forum being offended on behalf of other people and trying to talk down other people from their pedestal.

Some of the most active threads were made awkward to post in at times, because you knew that if you said anything you'd have 5 of the most vocal posters jumping on your post. Those same people would also belittle your opinion if you were a junior member, as if post count makes a difference to how valid something is lol.

Ah, well this I do understand. I'm glad they put a hamper on threads that essentially were just there for outrage.

Paterson

Banned
It's a slow ghost town but at least the staff have stopped inserting themselves into topics as much, that's a plus knowing what goes on with them.

Many of the staff are regular members at the new site. I saw Duckroll over there crying like a little bitch because people pointed out how awful the mods were here.

Paterson

Banned

I didnt call all of them idiots. I called the ones that were here who lived to find something new to be outraged by idiots. Because they're sad little idiots. And now most of them are gone. Big win for GAF, huge loss for wherever they ended up.

It would have been quite interesting to be a fly on the wall in some of their homes, as I just know some of them probably had a shit load of weird stuff they were hiding. But it's easy to portray yourself as "perfect" when no-one knows anything about you.

Yeah, remember how that bag of dicks Amir0x used to talk down to people? How holier-than-though he acted? Where's he now? Oh yeah, in prison serving time for being a pedo.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Most threads that were created today and yesterday are still on the first or second page so that should tell you all you need to know.

Just chiming in again, I made a post in a thread more than two hours ago. Thread's still sitting in the middle of the first page without newer posts, whereas on older GAF it would have been out of the first page in a matter of minutes.

Apparently a big chunk of those who left overlaps with those who actually cared about gaf and gaming in general and visibly contributed to the site. It's really a shame.

Edit: yuup and half an hour after I post this a whopping 4 posts have been made in OT. Zero in the first 15 minutes or so. I'm liking this pace too OP, gives me a g4tv forums vibe

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Hard for me to say since I wasn't a daily visitor, but I think people are overestimating how many people left. This site had to have thousands and thousands of daily visitors, and even if a few hundred left, it would be a small percentage. I doubt the community has lost any more than 5% of its size, I think the issue is readjusting to the changes and the dust settling.

But those are just guesses on my part, obviously I'm not privy to the numbers.

Hard for me to say since I wasn't a daily visitor, but I think people are overestimating how many people left. This site had to have thousands and thousands of daily visitors, and even if a few hundred left, it would be a small percentage. I doubt the community has lost any more than 5% of its size, I think the issue is readjusting to the changes and the dust settling.

It's too bad the group that left almost entirely coincides with the group that posted all of the content on the site.

This forum is getting a fraction of the posts it used to get.

Royce McCutcheon

The main thing was most of the active base leaving, but that'll be replaced.

Edit

It's too bad the group that left almost entirely coincides with the group that posted all of the content on the site.

This forum is getting a fraction of the posts it used to get.

I waited 10 minutes to post and we still posted the exact same thing at the same time. Forum too crowded I'm gone.

NeoGaf will rebuild from this. In due time members will come crawling back to us when that Shitty knockoff ResetEra Fails.

Also maybe its time to lessen the restrictions of signing up. As in allowing people sign up using a Yahoo or Gmail and do a quicker account activation.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

I have to wonder what kind of planet you live on to come to this conclusion.

Out of all the threads in my subscription box, literally only the Dragon Ball Super thread has had activity in the past 24 hours (mostly because a new episode just dropped, no doubt). And none of the others have had any activity in the past 48.

Before the downtime, I don't think I had ever seen fewer than 10 of those threads with new posts every day.

Pretty much every subcommunity that I posted in is dead now.

Mikey Jr.

NeoGaf will rebuild from this. In due time members will come crawling back to us when that Shitty knockoff ResetEra Fails.

Also maybe its time to lessen the restrictions of signing up. As in allowing people sign up using a Yahoo or Gmail and do a quicker account activation.

Why would it fail, exactly?

This thread is really troublesome. The false realities and lack of self awareness is astounding.

It would be nice if people got over the old way neogaf "users to be", and live for now.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I have to wonder what kind of planet you live on to come to this conclusion.

Out of all the threads in my subscription box, literally only the Dragon Ball Super thread has had activity in the past 24 hours (mostly because a new episode just dropped, no doubt). And none of the others have had any activity in the past 48.

Before the downtime, I don't think I had ever seen fewer than 10 of those threads with new posts every day.

Pretty much every subcommunity that I posted in is dead now.

Like others have said, a lot of active posters probably left, but in terms of a full community, I doubt the percentages are high. Do I know that for sure? No, but in my experiences, most people are either too lazy, too addicted, or don't care enough to make wholesale changes to their daily activities. Whether it be social media, internet message boards, or anything else. When people settle into a routine, it usually takes a hell of a lot for them to break that routine.

I don't see it lasting for very long, but I guess we'll find out in due time.

BadAss2961

I just have this feeling its not going to last.
Reset somehow managed to gut GAF's community overnight, and it's only getting worse as more people notice the inactivity here and move over. Longtime readers who struggled to get memberships here will also have an easier time joining the other forum. Reset won't lose interest, it'll take some other scandal or outside force for it to crumble at this point.

Don't think GAF has any choice left but to open up membership and hope to find a new identity.

Ecotic

Like others have said, a lot of active posters probably left, but in terms of a full community, I doubt the percentages are high. Do I know that for sure? No, but in my experiences, most people are either too lazy, too addicted, or don't care enough to make wholesale changes to their daily activities. Whether it be social media, internet message boards, or anything else. When people settle into a routine, it usually takes a hell of a lot for them to break that routine.

I don't see it lasting for very long, but I guess we'll find out in due time.

Respectfully, you don't seem to grasp what metrics actually matter. Looking at the absolute number of users is the wrong way to examine this situation. The 200,000 or so users that Neogaf can claim consists of everyone who ever signed up for this site over its nearly two decade history. Most of those users were non-participative lurkers, or were active for a while but then naturally moved on, or were banned. The active users who were this site's beating heart have almost all moved on to ResetEra or want to as soon as they can get a valid email. You doubt the percentages are high, but I would say the active users who left are around ~90%.

The community forums used to be absolutely bustling, and now they're completely dead. The very few posts that remain are informing the stragglers to move on. The Off Topic forum is barely hanging on, and only the Gaming forum has a (weak) pulse.

TarNaru33

Banned
I doubt you have numbers either.

Seeing as gaf could be pretty toxic at times, and most of gaf moved over..

Couple that with the fact that it's way more laid back around here with no dogpiling and the like.

Plus check the new site and observe that it's basically a carbon copy of old gaf.

As I said, they seem to be laying a bit lower so far. But the people that made OT here awful are all over there now.

You are the one making claims, not me. If you don't have numbers then don't make a claim you can't back up. Basically put up or shut up. GAF currently is way less active right now and who knows if that picks up. We also aren't too sure of moderation despite the announcements, give it time before stating things.

Many of GAF also moved onto other websites and many on the other site were not GAffers.

I wouldn't call the other site a carbon copy as the way it is moderated is completely different.

Basically because we don't have an actual grip on what the state of GAF is or even the other site (other than some comparison of activity/post numbers), there is no point in trying trying to say "all the toxic posters are on that site".

Trojan

Reset somehow managed to gut GAF's community overnight, and it's only getting worse as more people notice the inactivity here and move over. Longtime readers who struggled to get memberships here will also have an easier time joining the other forum. Reset won't lose interest, it'll take some other scandal or outside force for it to crumble at this point.

Don't think GAF has any choice left but to open up membership and hope to find a new identity.

Yea it's a ghost town here. Haven't checked the site in about a week and the gaming forum has mostly single page threads unless it was created prior to October. Before the exodus, run-of-the-mill news threads would hit double-digit page numbers in about a day. I don't think the existing community is going to come back.

ResetEra converted the majority of the prolific posters and it's almost as active as GAF used to be. Still surprised how fast it ramped-up. If they hadn't filled that void I think more people would have stuck around here.

Syder

You're wrong, thousands left and even worse from a GAF point of view they were all of the biggest contributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom