• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with GAF's current pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DadEggs

Or maybe it was a response to a poster claiming that every thread was a Trump thread. I know reading can be hard, but you have so much longer to attempt to understand context between posts now! Give it a shot.

oh i read.

but i don't see how my comment on someone else's comment is directed at you personally.

no reason to get so defensive and pick a fight, when you were so obviously sarcastic.

What about box office discussion? Movie discussion? Football, basketball, soccer, and other sports?
Acting like OT was all political is crazy revisionist history.

yeah its crazy how many communities got dissolved so quickly. there was so much history built. lots of sports, culture, etc discussion that went on

well that's because most of that was really from all the political users, and all the OT's. But now that it's gone really not much activity gonna be there.
What about box office discussion? Movie discussion? Football, basketball, soccer, and other sports?
Check out the other site... there are tons of active threads in off topic that have nothing to do with politics, just like it used to be here.

Blam

Check out the other site... there are tons of active threads in off topic that have nothing to do with politics, just like it used to be here.

Well no sorry didn't mean to bunch everyone up as political, but I meant by all the political and OT's is that all the activity was from the OT's and the political ones separate.

Poorly worded on my part sorry 'bout that.

oh i read.

but i don't see how my comment on someone else's comment is directed at you personally.

no reason to get so defensive and pick a fight, when you were so obviously sarcastic.

yeah its crazy how many communities got dissolved so quickly. there was so much history built. lots of sports, culture, etc discussion that went on
So you couldn't tell that the post you were replying to was directed at me and a few others in this thread, then? Hmmmm

ape2man

You could have meaningful conversations before, too. This site still has the same ratio of shitposts and one-off comments that leave little to be discussed. Not that you really tried before though, right?

Gotta echo the cringiness of people suggesting that those who left the site were not great members of the community. Just because y'all post less doesn't make your posts more meaningful or knowledgeable.

It was possible to have one before. Now stuff like live event watching threads(like the current Twitch marathon for Yugioh or the conferences from E3 ) are pretty much dead since the bulk of enjoyment is seeing peoples' reactions to the ridiculous shit that happens during it in real time.

The problem i had was that there where so many posts of people just giving there opinion, that the conversation you where having was lost in the rest of the conversations.

The problem i had was that there where so many posts of people just giving there opinion, that the conversation you where having was lost in the rest of the conversations.
Don't kid yourself, most comments are still not going to drive poster interaction. Instead, we'll get the same ratio of "I like thing" or "I don't like thing" posts that leave little to be discussed... there will just be less overall posts to choose from.

The quality of posting isn't going to suddenly rise because the most active users left the room.

Also, I'd rather read a bunch of opinions than nothing at all.

ape2man

Yup it's dead and will soon be forgotten.

Don't kid yourself, most comments are still not going to drive poster interaction. Instead, we'll get the same ratio of "I like thing" or "I don't like thing" posts that leave little to be discussed... there will just be less overall posts to choose from.

The quality of posting isn't going to suddenly rise because the most active users left the room.

We will see, i'm hoping for the best. Maybe in a few months we will see what is really going to happen. But people calling this site dead is idiotic.

Just because its not as frantic as it was or that off-topics just completely died on some subjects well that does not mean its dead.

I have been posting more on GAF than i have been lurking in the past 10 years

A little slow but a whole lot less negative. I'm not seeing as many hivemind type posts either where everyone just pounces on one person over a post they didn't agree with. Gaming section actually feels like a gaming discussion section mostly. So I'm beginning to wonder if a good portion of those people who freaked out and left were part of why neogaf always felt so negative.

With that we've also lost some of the talented people who made awesome OT's and great sales threads, which means its on some of us and those who lurk a bit more to step up.

Lois_Lane

Well no sorry didn't mean to bunch everyone up as political, but I meant by all the political and OT's is that all the activity was from the OT's and the political ones separate.

Poorly worded on my part sorry 'bout that.
Blam will you put up or shut up already. You've complained about being unfairly maligned by the era mods for the last two days but have failed to offer any evidence your claim is correct. At this point you sound like ou've lost your mind.

Blam

Blam will you put up or shut up already. You've complained about being unfairly maligned by the era mods for the last two days but have failed to offer any evidence your claim is correct. At this point you sound like ou've lost your mind.

I actually sent it out jesus like easily just ask me again politely. I just forgot to send it to you.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
was 50 50.

it used to be incredible and also took an incredible decline in the past 2 years. I hope it picks up a bit with a new set of people. I read it a bit less.

I would say (and I never thought I'd say this) but it could do with a few more conservative opinions. I'm not what an american would describe as a conservative (center left by euro standards) but the American 'blue or red, no middle ground' bullshit that absolutely destroys any form of moderate discussion infuriated me. Literally everything turned into a zwarte piet discussion, no matter the subject. Every character on this forum fell victim to flanderization.

dyergram

I'm a little bit worried for the future to be honest. I think for the most part a lot of the people that left were the toxic outrage culture posters so this still may be for the best.

J-Rzez

I will monitor how things pan out here and decide how often I will frequent these forums. Last time I posted I was banned for defending myself from people outright attacking me due to my views, in which the ban message indicated it was a mod with the views of the attackers. Evilores post indicates he is absolutely taking the correct steps on the moderators, and should allow the forum to heal and rebuild from the toxicity that injected itself into a forum I used to frequent multiple times a day.

All the anti-trump threads have slowed down which littered the OT. A lot of the problem posters seemed to have moved on, which is good too.

I'm fine with the pacing now after this all. Before it was too much nonsense going on at such a rapid rate that good threads were buried under baiting threads for the most part.

Overall, I'll give benefit of the doubt that this forum can maybe get back to what it was before 2 years ago that started something bad.

OCD Guy

The gaming forums are really slow. There’s only a handful of active threads, and some are getting a post every 10 minutes if that.

I still remember when it was common for a thread you just posted on to drop to the next page because 20 other threads had replies within 30 seconds.

I thought that other forum was going to have a few issues, first one being with junior members, but they’ve actually hidden member statuses, so everyone is visibly a “member” but new members just have junior thread rights.

They’re also being transparent with moderation etc too. It’s as if they’re trying to make right any wrongs of NeoGaf.

It’s sad that Gaf is slow but I’m not tempted to join the other forum. It has that vocal minority I don’t like, and it’s full of them weird random threads like “if you were a video game character what would you do”. Each to their own but I’m not into that kinda shit. Yes I can skip it, which I did, but at times the front page would be full of shit like that lol.

prag16

Banned
It’s sad that Gaf is slow but I’m not tempted to join the other forum. It has that vocal minority I don’t like, and it’s full of them weird random threads like “if you were a video game character what would you do”. Each to their own but I’m not into that kinda shit. Yes I can skip it, which I did, but at times the front page would be full of shit like that lol.
Yeah I hated it when gaf was full of "fancy seeing some more dicks" threads. :)

Resonance

Tbh I'm not seeing much of those threads over there. Most of the posts on the front page are either gaming news or OT's

Rellik

The gaming forums are really slow. There’s only a handful of active threads, and some are getting a post every 10 minutes if that.

I still remember when it was common for a thread you just posted on to drop to the next page because 20 other threads had replies within 30 seconds.

I thought that other forum was going to have a few issues, first one being with junior members, but they’ve actually hidden member statuses, so everyone is visibly a “member” but new members just have junior thread rights.

They’re also being transparent with moderation etc too. It’s as if they’re trying to make right any wrongs of NeoGaf.

Glad I'm not the only one who hated them "You are now the last character you played" GameFAQ level threads that were polluting this place. They'd be everywhere some days. And now they pollute that other place.

As for the pace? It's a little slow, but I don't miss the old pace which was too fast. By the time I'd get to a thread, it was 46 pages deep and the same conversations had been repeated 5 times over. At that point there was nothing to add or say that hadn't been said a hundred times before.

I way too busy during the day at work, at night I check the latest gaming news and all. Seems ok to me.

I asked a programming question in the coding thread and no one got back to me. Some threads are slower than others

Sinfamy

Feels like a ghost town honestly, I don't like it.
I remember the gametrailers.com forums being this way too after the re-design.

OCD Guy

Yeah I hated it when gaf was full of "fancy seeing some more dicks" threads. :)

Lol to be fair a lot of people moaned yet they couldn’t help but be glued to that thread

Tbh I'm not seeing much of those threads over there. Most of the posts on the front page are either gaming news or OT's

Yeah there’s certainly a lot more news threads than over here, but there’s a lot of random threads. Well they’re random to me. Things like : “Was there a point in your life where you realized you overidentified with a gaming company or a dev?”

It doesn’t matter as I just ignore threads I have no interest in, but it makes forums less enjoyable to read if most of the threads are of no interest, and as I said at times the front page of neoGaf was full of random hypothetical threads.

Glad I'm not the only one who hated them "You are now the last character you played" GameFAQ level threads that were polluting this place. They'd be everywhere some days. And now they pollute that other place.

As for the pace? It's a little slow, but I don't miss the old pace which was too fast. By the time I'd get to a thread, it was 46 pages deep and the same conversations had been repeated 5 times over. At that point there was nothing to add or say that hadn't been said a hundred times before.

It was the same group of people creating those threads, they’re now mostly gone though :)

Yeah I get what you mean, it was sometimes too fast for it’s own good. It was impossible to keep up at times, I just feel it’s almost gone from one extreme to another.

Time will tell what happens though..

TTOOLL

Pace is a lot slower but if the mods aren’t banning people based on personal views then that’s good.

This is good but mainly the fact that not every single thread now is at risk of becoming a social battle arena. The warriors have left.

-Minsc-

I used to be active in a couple OT threads. Over the past year my activity has steadily been decreasing simply due to shifting my focus to other interests. Thinking about it, I don't mind a slower pace. Unsure if it'll make me post any more though. Maybe, we'll see.

TarNaru33

Banned
The mods over there really do seem to be trying at least. At least some of them.

I see assholes from BOTH sides being banned, and I see warnings before banning for lighter offenses. The increased transparency is nice too.

That said, the entirety of the toxic element did in fact move over there. But at least for now they're laying a bit lower than they typically did over here. We'll see if that lasts.

Do you realize how incorrect a statement this is? You have no numbers to claim even 50% of the "toxic element" moved to that website.

mr2xxx

Banned
I'm a primarily off topic guy and it's dead. NFL weekly thread went from 25+ pages to 1 or 2 per week. Fantasy football thread was pretty busy and now it's one post per couple days. Plenty of other topics/communities I liked have had posting decrease by over 80%. I can tell you that the people posting now don't seem much different in quality from before. I'll move to the other forum but I'm lazy in trying to find a acceptable email.

Dr.Social

Banned
Where's the quality posts people keep talking about? Look at the Xbox One Review thread it has all the same fanboy shitposting from old GAF just slower

Mzh3C2m.gif

entremet

Paid email actually makes it harder to get new blood. I know the new pathways are coming and I get the reasoning, but GAF is on life support.

Gaming isn’t too bad actually. It was too fast honestly. Now it’s manageable. But my favorite OT and community forums are gone.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Checking my list of subscribed threads right now and

- general FGC thread is dead
- Marvel thread is dead
- DBZF thread is dead
- all the retro threads (general, A/V, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, Saturn, etc) are dead
- Sonic community thread is dead

Not all of those were necessarily among the most active of the forum, but I don't remember the last time any of them would go for a whole week without any activity.

I don't want to really pile on or anything. I'm sure the remaining GAF staff would rather just move on and maybe think that these sorts of meta discussions aren't really helping, but I can't help it.

Right after GAF came back online, I noted that this was the first time in my almost 11 years / 17000 posts on GAF that I had a bad feeling about its future. The way things have shaken out since then have pretty much cemented that feeling.

Honestly, the Community subforums should probably just be axed at this point and folded into Gaming/OT proper. As far as I could tell, the main function that those subforums served was to collect long-running, wide-scope megathreads in a place where they wouldn't be crowding out the new threads made for new and more specific topics. That isn't necessary anymore with how drastically the pace has slowed down.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I’m always told I get irony wrong but it’s at least very strange that the busiest thread in days has been this one.

wondermega

I’m always told I get irony wrong but it’s at least very strange that the busiest thread in days has been this one.

Makes sense. Those of us who are still here, and any kind of vocal, are still quite interested in reflecting on this new development. Trying to make sense of it. It's maybe the one thing we can all still agree on. Also, the bigger threads that concentrate on the topic tend to be shut down since it can still be a controversial and agitating topic. But, we do need it, it's kind of the biggest and most important thing to tie us all together right now (until some other unifying event occurs).

highrider

Banned
I can say the forum feels more free to me now. I really just want a laugh, it’s cool to have serious discussion but everything is so divisive now that you end up ( at least myself ) not participating. It’s like you really have to commit to post at all lol.

Now I feel comfortable being my dumb self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom