• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Played a level 20. He was a Spring Man with two Roasters who dashed constantly and played keepaway. There's just too little downtime to his ability; the window for attack is several frames at most. At least make Spring Man's deflect go on cooldown for 3 seconds or something.

Next update lol.

It's actually really fun, I'm not sure if you can do it with 2 players... the 100th versus is pretty good too!!

Lost a few times when I hit 90 lol.

Peltz

Any tips on how to beat Ninjara's AI in level 4 grand prix? I'm trying to get comfortable with Master Mummy, but I keep getting outmaneuvered; I'll throw a punch and he'll dodge and counter with a grab faster than I can get to him. Anything I might be able to try?

He's not so bad. Corner him with close range. Throw a punch, wait for him to teleport, then immediately throw another, then jump + dodge out of the way.

You need to throw well timed combos against him because there's a good chance he'll evade the first punch.

Played a level 20. He was a Spring Man with two Roasters who dashed constantly and played keepaway. There's just too little downtime to his ability; the window for attack is several frames at most. At least make Spring Man's deflect go on cooldown for 3 seconds or something.

Yeah, the worst part is that they aren't earning the counter like other games with parry mechanics have.

They're just taking damage-less hits, rather than trying to actually dodge punches like the way the game would otherwise be played.

Character gimmicks are cool and all, but this one has been the one I dislike the most.

When don't Spring Man players constantly hit dash?

Even when I beat them, I spent most of the match actually landing hits that just don't count because they counter them, while actually doing some work to dodge theirs.

So I just came back to Grand Prix the other night after a few weeks of not playing and I found Grand Prix LVL 4 to be a lot easier for some reason. Managed to beat Hedlock 2-0 on first try where before it took me a whole night to beat him. Did I get better or was the AI just nerfed?

RRockman

Banned

Dude, no! Its really hard to get there in the first place! :( Maybe try exploding ARMS? the explosion still hits after a parry, and they have been a consistent thorn in my side.

Nightii

Banned
Yeah, the worst part is that they aren't earning the counter like other games with parry mechanics have.

They're just taking damage-less hits, rather than trying to actually dodge punches like the way the game would otherwise be played.

Character gimmicks are cool and all, but this one has been the one I dislike the most.

When don't Spring Man players constantly hit dash?

Even when I beat them, I spent most of the match actually landing hits that just don't count because they counter them, while actually doing some work to dodge theirs.

The downtime of Spring Man's parry is actually very predictable if they just spam dash, it's a matter of looking at their pattern and finding the openings, they are not hard to find.

Fire ARMS do great against this pattern too, especially Ram Rams. Once you sneak in a knockdown, the Spring Man will have a hard time going back to the dash spamming, especially since Ram Rams cover side dashes so easily.

Overwhelming them with fast ARMS is also viable, since they can't just get to parry spamming at will inmediately, Bubbs and Tribolts are especially good at this, side hitting ARMS like Chakram and Thunderbird work too due to them añlmost always dashing sideways.

EDIT: Seekies work great too, since the explosions bypass the shockwave. Dragons can also do a great job cornering them so that they can't parry freely.

Biske

I feel like Max Brass arms are too bendyfor my taste. I'm having a hard tine landing punches :(

Yeah.

I picked this back up and played with him. Fucking awful.

Hoped into some online matches, full of dodgy bullshit. I think this game has really sunset for me.

Bring on Splatoon 2

Dyle

Man, Byte & Barq armed with double Bubb is so good, it makes for such fast and exciting matches... Easily my favorite loadout so far, it's a great way to focus on your fundamentals of timing and aiming.

DNAbro

This game feels so good when you are against someone who is really close to your skill. Climbed up rank 7 and had a ton of great matches with one person. I was able to win 6 in a row until they finally beat me. I love seeing someone adapt as they play.

Takat

I'm trying GP7, but Ribbon girl is tough. It seems like she avoids every strike and hits me a lot. Right now seems like Spalamendra is the best way for me. Would appreciate suggestions. I'm using minmin.

random25

I'm trying GP7, but Ribbon girl is tough. It seems like she avoids every strike and hits me a lot. Right now seems like Spalamendra is the best way for me. Would appreciate suggestions. I'm using minmin.

Ram ram on the dragon arm provides pretty good coverage against Ribbon Girl's jumps and dodges.

The downtime of Spring Man's parry is actually very predictable if they just spam dash, it's a matter of looking at their pattern and finding the openings, they are not hard to find.

Fire ARMS do great against this pattern too, especially Ram Rams. Once you sneak in a knockdown, the Spring Man will have a hard time going back to the dash spamming, especially since Ram Rams cover side dashes so easily.

Overwhelming them with fast ARMS is also viable, since they can't just get to parry spamming at will inmediately, Bubbs and Tribolts are especially good at this, side hitting ARMS like Chakram and Thunderbird work too due to them añlmost always dashing sideways.

EDIT: Seekies work great too, since the explosions bypass the shockwave. Dragons can also do a great job cornering them so that they can't parry freely.

I mean I beat them, I'm just saying it's not fun. I'm criticizing the game design.
I can win. Just often it's not fun.

Neiteio

Arms Test is AWESOME. It's the perfect "survival" mode.

I've gone back to this game over the past couple days, due to the update, and I really, truly love it. It's going to make my GotY list, easily. I can't wait for more updates and I desperately hope we get a sequel.
I just tried ARMS Test last night myself. Surprisingly fun. Starts out easy, but the CPU gets stronger over time.

I just tried ARMS Test last night myself. Surprisingly fun. Starts out easy, but the CPU gets stronger over time.

I was already telling everybody back in week one that they were all sleeping on 1v100 and Arms Test, especially if they thought the single-player content was a bit slim.

I'd been off Arms Test for a while myself, but returned to it this week with Max Brass since I have almost nothing unlocked for him. It's a great way to ramp up your speed at the beginning of a session and focus entirely on learning a character's move set. It's made me better at Skillshot, too, since that's always the challenge that is likeliest to kill my streak. Like any endless mode, it's all about consistency: my longest streak so far is 12, not because I can't take down opponents at that level, but because sometimes, as you're trading out arms every round, you're liable to slip up against an opponent you know you can beat.

The other thing, too, is that (as a friend who played split-screen local with me griped about) in the regular modes outside of Arms Test, there currently isn't a way just to select "all random" and click through one round to the next without popping back into the character select screen every time. Sometimes you just want to sample a bit of everything.

You can tell roughly what level of CPU you are facing by the number of coins you get on winning the round, as I think it matches the way that is computed through the rest of the game. (Notwithstanding bonuses for Perfects, which an experienced player should easily score against the first few opponents.)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So...anyone playing right now? I've been playing the game for two weeks, but I have yet to play against other Gaffers (aside from Zedark who I probably ran into by pure coincidence in Ranked Mode...or at least I think it was the same Zedark who posts here on GAF XD ).

If you want to add me, here's my Switch code: SW-4400-8663-3525

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Yeah I recommend ARMS Test when playing with someone new and showing them the game. It's fast, you get to try out different Arms and see all the different stages. It varries it up enough from match to match that a newcomer can see an elevator pitch of what all the game has to offer. It's my go-to mode when playing with friends.

Man won't play anyone but Mechanica but feel like I'm putting myself at a disadvantage. Any good vids / strats people are seeing for her? I've seen both the "worst tier" and the "she won all the tourneys" sides. Just looking for something to view to up my play style. Doing the Hammer-looking arm and the Popper (?) quick arm and its been working all right.

Neiteio

Managed to capture this shot of the Hedlok intro before the black borders and words kicked in:

2017071300153204-517551uik.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you're here and playing, join the Discord you can access from the OP!

I'm going to start hosting weekly lobbies at some time/day I have not yet decided.
I was already telling everybody back in week one that they were all sleeping on 1v100 and Arms Test, especially if they thought the single-player content was a bit slim.

I'd been off Arms Test for a while myself, but returned to it this week with Max Brass since I have almost nothing unlocked for him. It's a great way to ramp up your speed at the beginning of a session and focus entirely on learning a character's move set. It's made me better at Skillshot, too, since that's always the challenge that is likeliest to kill my streak. Like any endless mode, it's all about consistency: my longest streak so far is 12, not because I can't take down opponents at that level, but because sometimes, as you're trading out arms every round, you're liable to slip up against an opponent you know you can beat.

The other thing, too, is that (as a friend who played split-screen local with me griped about) in the regular modes outside of Arms Test, there currently isn't a way just to select "all random" and click through one round to the next without popping back into the character select screen every time. Sometimes you just want to sample a bit of everything.

You can tell roughly what level of CPU you are facing by the number of coins you get on winning the round, as I think it matches the way that is computed through the rest of the game. (Notwithstanding bonuses for Perfects, which an experienced player should easily score against the first few opponents.)
1v100 is the best training I think

Zedark

So...anyone playing right now? I've been playing the game for two weeks, but I have yet to play against other Gaffers (aside from Zedark who I probably ran into by pure coincidence in Ranked Mode...or at least I think it was the same Zedark who posts here on GAF XD ).

If you want to add me, here's my Switch code: SW-4400-8663-3525
Oh, did we fight? I do run with the name Zedark on Switch as well, so if you met that name it's probably me. Can't remember you, did you beat me?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So, I ordered a Switch for Splatoon 2, it arrived yesterday and I was like am I really just gonna let it sit there for a week? So I bought ARMS on a whim, and I'm glad I did because this game is so much fun.

It's not perfect, the lack of content is real. After playing some recent fighting games, I was looking for things to buy like cosmetics and stuff, and the grand prix is boring, done it twice and I don't think I'll ever touch it again.

But, but but, the core mechanics, the art style, the everything else is just so good. The last time I had this much fun playing a fighting game was probably with Smash 4 or Brawl. I just wish it had more things as a package.

The quitters tho, man, I had 3 in the span of an hour.

Renna Hazel

So, I ordered a Switch for Splatoon 2, it arrived yesterday and I was like am I really just gonna let it sit there for a week? So I bought ARMS on a whim, and I'm glad I did because this game is so much fun.

It's not perfect, the lack of content is real. After playing some recent fighting games, I was looking for things to buy like cosmetics and stuff, and the grand prix is boring, done it twice and I don't think I'll ever touch it again.

But, but but, the core mechanics, the art style, the everything else is just so good. The last time I had this much fun playing a fighting game was probably with Smash 4 or Brawl. I just wish it had more things as a package.

The quitters tho, man, I had 3 in the span of an hour.

That sounds like bad luck, I've had the game since launch and have only ran into about 5 quitters or so. For 2 of them I just think we got D/C since the match was close.

As for lack of content, it's definitely an issue, but hopefully it can keep you occupied until Splatoon 2. The free DLC will help in the long run.

RRockman

Banned
Ok, I always feel bad when I knock out a Min Min. when she curls up in pain it feels painful. And then it becomes so sad to see it in slow motion. It's terrible!

And then Spring Man is all like "Yeah baby!" :D

maxmars

I've finally managed to get online. Returned home from vacation today and eager to play!

I'm having fun both in ranked and amateur modes but I didn't understand one thing about hedlock: how do I fetch the ball to put on the mask? I tried throwing with both arms but couldn't catch the ball. I won the hedlock-enabled 1v1v1 anyway but boy, it was difficult being the only one not able to use the mask.

I've finally managed to get online. Returned home from vacation today and eager to play!

I'm having fun both in ranked and amateur modes but I didn't understand one thing about hedlock: how do I fetch the ball to put on the mask? I tried throwing with both arms but couldn't catch the ball. I won the hedlock-enabled 1v1v1 anyway but boy, it was difficult being the only one not able to use the mask.

You can lock onto the ball with the right stick so it will be easier to attack it.

This game is so good when you actually start getting competent in it. I'm only rank 8 right now but every wins and loses have been satisfying. Been great trying out new arms. And I've only been playing with Ribbon Girl and Twintelle with some Helix thrown in. Haven't even tried the others yet.

I tried Splatoon 2 splatfest yesterday and was disappointed in the control scheme so I'm probably gonna skip that one. Arms will take up all my multiplayer pick up and play time, it seems.

ITSMILNER

Really getting into this, it looks so good and even though I have only put a couple hours into it, it's probably one of the most fun fighting games I've played.

Any ideas when we can expect the next update? Are they aiming for monthly content updates? Would love some more modes including an actually King of the Ring tournament.

This game is so good when you actually start getting competent in it. I'm only rank 8 right now but every wins and loses have been satisfying. Been great trying out new arms. And I've only been playing with Ribbon Girl and Twintelle with some Helix thrown in. Haven't even tried the others yet.

I tried Splatoon 2 splatfest yesterday and was disappointed in the control scheme so I'm probably gonna skip that one. Arms will take up all my multiplayer pick up and play time, it seems.

100% agreed. Really addicted to ranked.

Top Bottom