• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

I love how the enemy in the middle of the screen in the second one literally stands still doing nothing while she punches the shit out of everyone else.

These GIFs almost sold me on the game - but seriously, when are we going to return to brawler combat design where the enemies constantly attack from any angle? It's what they'd do in real life goddamnit.
They do, it's like the Arkham series, just those takedowns are mini movies

Setsuna

I love how the enemy in the middle of the screen in the second one literally stands still doing nothing while she punches the shit out of everyone else.

These GIFs almost sold me on the game - but seriously, when are we going to return to brawler combat design where the enemies constantly attack from any angle? It's what they'd do in real life goddamnit.

They do attack from multiple angles

You have people shooting from range and multiple people can attack at the same time while you are fighting someone else

SomTervo

They do, it's like the Arkham series, just those takedowns are mini movies

They do attack from multiple angles

You have people shooting from range and multiple people can attack at the same time while you are fighting someone else

I know this, sorry, I conflated my point a little.

1. My comment about that GIF was more specifically about animation quality. The other enemies are animated to stand there doing nothing while she does intricate moves. Poorly designed imo.

2. In Unity they attacked really aggressively and I loved it - it's the same in Syndicate?

3. In Arkham they still wait quite often and don't attack realistically, but it's a decent compromise.

Setsuna

I know this, sorry, I conflated my point a little.

1. My comment about that GIF was more specifically about animation quality. The other enemies are animated to stand there doing nothing while she does intricate moves. Poorly designed imo.

2. In Unity they attacked really aggressively and I loved it - it's the same in Syndicate?

3. In Arkham they still wait quite often and don't attack realistically, but it's a decent compromise.

They dont do anything but stand there before the animation since they have to be stunned in order to start the event

SomTervo

They dont do anything but stand there before the animation since they have to be stunned in order to start the event

That crossed my mind.

1. Awesome.

2. Ignore me.

:)

Edit: ah, shit, Syndicate dropped the 'HUD off with one button' toggle?

That was fucking brilliant and one of the best things AC:U did.

Kalentan

So this is $35 on Amazon right now. I've honestly liked every AC game I've played. Granted some more than others, but generally I've liked them.

Is $35 a good deal?

Kalentan

If you like Assassin's Creed, this is a very good Assassin's Creed game, so I'd say definitely.

Cool. I think I will do it then. I know they're having a sale on the Gold Edition this weekend, but honestly, I couldn't care less for the season pass. Plus I got a feeling it will only go down from it's current sale of $80 to something like $60.

chadskin

Well, that's a wrap in terms of the story missions, the Dreadful Crimes missions and
liberating London
. Took me about 28 hours, according to the Ubi Club.

Still want to do the
Darwin, Dickens, Marx and Queen Victoria
side missions as well as
the WWI simulation which is apparently not part of the core story, to my surprise

Bring on the Jack the Ripper DLC!

Lime

Finished the game. Really forgettable story, the ending was meaningless, and the boss battle was really, really boring.

Evie was cool, the relationship with Green a nice little thing, Jacob kind of grew on me I guess, the hamfisted use of historical characters gave some interesting scenarios.

Beautiful production values, lots of attention to detail, great texture work, animations have gone a step up since last time I played an AC game (Freedom Cry), and thank god for no tailing missions.

I might get the Jack the Ripper DLC if it's more atmospheric and darker than the main game. Evie is cool and the antagonist could be used in an interesting way, I hope.

A soulless by-the-numbers AAA production game that checked some boxes with a cool setting that was meticulously crafted with lots of money thrown at it would probably be the best summary of how I felt about this game.

I picked this up super cheap from GMG, and I have to say I am really loving this game.

It's pretty great and reminds me a lot of AC2/Brotherhood, which I loved to death.

It's still not as great as Black Flag/AC2, but it's not a dumpster fire like Unity and AC3.

I love the protagonists in this, great writing on them and the other tertiary characters are pretty great too and the game runs well and looks fantastic on PC.

JJD

I picked this up super cheap from GMG, and I have to say I am really loving this game.

It's pretty great and reminds me a lot of AC2/Brotherhood, which I loved to death.

It's still not as great as Black Flag/AC2, but it's not a dumpster fire like Unity and AC3.

I love the protagonists in this, great writing on them and the other tertiary characters are pretty great too and the game runs well and looks fantastic on PC.

Damn...so this is almost a return to form?

Thinking about buying it on the PSN flash sale...

My last AC was Black Flag.

Damn...so this is almost a return to form?

Thinking about buying it on the PSN flash sale...

My last AC was Black Flag.
I just bought it on the PSN Flash Sale and I'm really digging it. I've played 1, 2, Brotherhood and Black Flag (I might have played Revelations too, I can't remember). I almost finished Black Flag but it was kind of a drag towards the end and the map was littered with way too much stuff.

This game seems to be a great deal more streamlined and isn't overwhelming with so much collectible nonsense. I'd say it's a return to form or close to it.

Evie is legit as hell, London is refreshing, oh, and the soundtrack is outstanding.

I had a great moment doing nothing but exploring around one of the bridges near Thames river. Once I climbed up some music starting playing and I found myself one of those
secrets

I spent so much time there I got the full day time cycle.

One weak aspect of this game is the clueless A.I.
It's at times laughably bad. I posted a gif a few pages back of me attacking some blighters, one after each other, they'd do nothing but walk by so I assassinated them too easily.

You could pee hot coffee back in the day by the looks of it.
Z0XgKsG.gif

Truant

I wish the game would be a loop of evening and night-time, it looks fucking amazing. The game runs a lot better during the night as well (on PC).

Just make a direct sequel to Syndicate called Assassin's Creed Nightfall and make it night all the time.

I started playing this game last night and wow, the reviews were spot-on.

This game is really fun, and probly the most polished AC game I've played.

Black Flag was my last AC game and it was fun but felt scattered at times. Syndicate is very focused and does a good job keeping you on track. Plus, having your gang fight alongside you in real-time is awesome.

Anyone who's an AC fan should grab this on sale for sure.

Truant

The intro missions really made me want a more linear AC experience. Something in the style of Thief or Dishonored, where you have contained open sections with loads of freedom.

So this game is available in the wild for really low prices today.

On PC I can score the game for ~$25 US. On PS4, its $35 on PSN right now. Is it worth it for that price?

For context, I LOVED AC 2, disliked AC 3, LOVED AC 4, and thought Unity was meh. I keep hearing its a return to AC 2 form.

I've had a rule for the last few AC games where I buy it on console no matter what, because Ubi's PC ports have been so atrocious. Is it a decent PC port? If so I would go for the cheaper price on PC.

Grisby

Think I'm nearing the end of the game. At sequence 8 and I have to go
kill Jacobs anarchy bro.

I've had a really good time. I feel like this AC team got back to the roots moreso than any other AC after Brotherhood. I loved AC4, but that was mostly because of the pirate stuff. You're doing classic AC stuff, but it all seems to come together in a more cohesive way. Items and skills that you get seem to eliminate some of the more plaguing, weaker, aspects of the series.

I only wish the story was more involving and that there was some more drama going on. Jacob's a little too carefree and Evie doesn't seem to get the spotlight as much. Kind of wish we would have come into their lives a little sooner. This Victorian world and the two sibling characters deserve a better tale, but so far, it's been serviceable.

Damn, what a setting.

Also, I did the strange (don't know when this can happen, so read at own risk, think AC2 "The Truth" deal)
memory glitches and aw yeah, WW1.
Now I want that game.

Couple things:
-Execution skills are goddamned brutal.
-The little violin movement that plays when you eagle dive off a building is great. Just a neat little touch.
-(Sequence 7 spoilers)
Desmond is back. I need a corgi Rook member.
-being on top of carriages and moving from one to another and hijacking them is pretty awesome.

I'm playing this on PC at a fairly high resolution, and I gotta say, this game is a real looker. Night time London is the most atmospheric, and the most beautiful open world setting I've seen in a video game. It's absolutely stunning to look at. The texture work in this game is something else. Great implementation of PBR too.

kencey

Ok, so what's even the point of the hood now, they walk around hoodless ?!
They don't care for their identity ?

PS: Just started the game.
PS2: Evie is awesome, Jacob is stupid.

I didn't realize the Gold version included the season pass. I'm bummed because the season pass by itself is not discounted on the PSN Flash Sale.

How was the first DLC?

Ok, so what's even the point of the hood now, they walk around hoodless ?!
They don't care for their identity ?
no, they don't. They want to be infamous, or at least Jacob does. Reputation is one of the main gang upgrades which affects how enemies on the street react to you, and there's a sequence that focuses on that sort of thing.
PS2: Evie is awesome, Jacob is stupid.
This should've been the OT title

Will the Jack the Ripper stuff be available outside of the season pass (separate purchase)? Tempted to pick up the $35 PSN deal atm so my boyfriend can play it too.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Will the Jack the Ripper stuff be available outside of the season pass (separate purchase)? Tempted to pick up the $35 PSN deal atm so my boyfriend can play it too.
It should be. Will probably be $10. They've added the trophies in the last patch. Also, here's a podcast with the lead writer Jeffrey Yohalem, has a lot of interesting behind the scenes info on what things were cut or why some things didn't make it in like playable MD and lots of story information and clarification, and some of Jeff's thoughts on Ubi's design philosophies.

Spoiler Warning.

Grisby

Finished. That was a satisfying ending. I gotta say that I've been pleasantly surprised by Syndicate.

The last mission was entertaining, and I really loved Evie's
requiescat in pace line
during the last bit. Just a fun little thing.

The
dual kill boss battle was over the top, but also fun, as was the knighting ceremony by special guest Queen Victoria.

Jacob and Evie should definitely get another game. The siblings dynamic was super refreshing and could greatly be expanded on, both narratively and from a gameplay perspective.

And it looks like Ubisoft is finally doing something with the future day stuff which is kind of exciting.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How's the story in this game? Does it advance the overall AC plot in any way or is Ubi still stalling?
Yes.

Finished. That was a satisfying ending. I gotta say that I've been pleasantly surprised by Syndicate.

The last mission was entertaining, and I really loved Evie's
requiescat in pace line
during the last bit. Just a fun little thing.

The
dual kill boss battle was over the top, but also fun, as was the knighting ceremony by special guest Queen Victoria.

Jacob and Evie should definitely get another game. The siblings dynamic was super refreshing and could greatly be expanded on, both narratively and from a gameplay perspective.

And it looks like Ubisoft is finally doing something with the future day stuff which is kind of exciting.
Apparently Ubi is doing those surveys again.
We may get a Frye trilogy.

Just finished the story. Shit, I fucking loved it. There were so many memorable moments throughout the story, and especially towards the ending. Jacob and Evie are now my favorite assassins in the entire series. I hope they do more games with these characters. Heck, I want a Frye trilogy.

I'm not finding the side missions to be particularly compelling so I'm gonna skip those, but I gotta say, this is the best Assassin's Creed game in years. Ubisoft is on the right track.

leng jai

I find these comments about Ubisoft being "back on track" a bit funny even if it's true to an extent. They're now getting back to the standard they had in AC2 but if you out it into perspective the series is still disappointing. If you said to someone back in 2007 that an AC game in 8 years would be Syndicate I doubt many people would be impressed at all from a gameplay perspective.

Setsuna

I find these comments about Ubisoft being "back on track" a bit funny even if it's true to an extent. They're now getting back to the standard they had in AC2 but if you out it into perspective the series is still disappointing. If you said to someone back in 2007 that an AC game in 8 years would be Syndicate I doubt many people would be impressed at all from a gameplay perspective.

I find it more hilarious about the amount of people that complain about Assassins creed but never suggest what they want

I disagree with this big time. Go back and play the original AC, it is so slow and frustrating at times. Syndicate represents so much refinement, and adjustment. The missions are so much more varied. Even coming from 2 to Syndicate. I think people have this memories of what the first few games were like and they're off. Seriously go fire up AC 1 or 2 and then play Syndicate.

SpotAnime

Did we know Bear McCreary is scoring the Jack the Ripper DLC? And it's coming out (presumably) on December 15?

http://www.vgmonline.net/walking-dead-composer-scores-assassins-creed-dlc/

London’s residents are set to be terrorized by Jack the Ripper in Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate‘s single-player add-on campaign. Bear McCreary penned the soundtrack for the title, including an all-new theme to represent the serial killer. His five-track soundtrack for the title will be available to purchase on digital music stores for 4 USD come December 15.

Figure the release date of the soundtrack would coincide with the DLC release. Didn't see any date confirmed for this yet.

leng jai

I disagree with this big time. Go back and play the original AC, it is so slow and frustrating at times. Syndicate represents so much refinement, and adjustment. The missions are so much more varied. Even coming from 2 to Syndicate. I think people have this memories of what the first few games were like and they're off. Seriously go fire up AC 1 or 2 and then play Syndicate.

AC1 wasn't a great game so obviously Syndicate is far better than that. Don't forget AC is a yearly franchise - how many games have we had since AC2? The bottom line is that Syndicate still has extremely basic combat, terrible AI and less than fluid traversal. After 6 or 7 games the same weaknesses haven't really been addressed. The mission design in Syndicate is nothing special at all, and the assassinations are still as disappointing as they've ever been. The train heists are a terrible missed opportunity - they could have been awesome but in Syndicate it just boils down to finding 4 chests. They've added some optional objectives to the major plot assassinations but they didn't really add depth. Yes the game has become more refined, but at its core I don't see any major strides.

Combat is still press X most of the time, and counter the other guy who when he occasionally attacks you. It needed a complete overhaul several games ago. Traversal should be extremely satisfying in a game like this but it's not. You still can't manually jump - just try getting all the Helix glitches to see how clunky and rigid it is. People like the grappling hook because it completely bypasses half the movement required.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot. I just think that a game with basically infinite resources and 1000 people working on it should be advancing more rapidly.

AC1 wasn't a great game so obviously Syndicate is far better than that. Don't forget AC is a yearly franchise - how many games have we had since AC2? The bottom line is that Syndicate still has extremely basic combat, terrible AI and less than fluid traversal. After 6 or 7 games the same weaknesses haven't really been addressed. The mission design in Syndicate is nothing special at all, and the assassinations are still as disappointing as they've ever been. The train heists are a terrible missed opportunity - they could have been awesome but in Syndicate it just boils down to finding 4 chests. They've added some optional objectives to the major plot assassinations but they didn't really add depth. Yes the game has become more refined, but at its core I don't see any major strides.

Combat is still press X most of the time, and counter the other guy who when he occasionally attacks you. It needed a complete overhaul several games ago. Traversal should be extremely satisfying in a game like this but it's not. You still can't manually jump - just try getting all the Helix glitches to see how clunky and rigid it is. People like the grappling hook because it completely bypasses half the movement required.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot. I just think that a game with basically infinite resources and 1000 people working on it should be advancing more rapidly.

Except you're over simplifying things and hand waving away changes. Anyone who has played Syndicate would tell you the traversal is greatly improved over 1, and hell over Unity even. Outside of a small handful of hitches here and there I never ran into a single problem with the traversal, and worked about 1000x better than it did in 1.

Most of the things you're complaining about are opinions and not facts. I loved the new mission types in Syndicate, they built on things like clearing out a nest and added interesting changes, like freeing children. Hell the murder mysteries carried over from Unity saw huge improvements and made that NEW mechanic even better.

I don't know what people expect either, the game is Assassin's Creed. Your missions are going to be stealthing around and killing people. They've added ways to poison enemies, ways to attack from afar, and other introductions that change things up. The base idea of the missions are always going to be sculking around and killing people in hiding though. I mean it's like complaining that Mario just keeps platform jumping . It's a silly complaint to me.

Except in AC1 combat wasn't press X most the time and counter the other guy. It was a lot more complicated, and way less refined. Plus if all you're doing is spamming X and counter you haven't bothered to try and learn the combat system. There's more depth there, but if you decide to ignore it, that's on you.

Helix glitches are physical puzzles to be solved. It's about finding the right angle to approach them from.

I recently went back and played through a bunch of AC1, and then started on Syndicate. There have been some huge refinements to the series, anyone saying otherwise isn't paying attention IMHO.

The series tried lots of different things in a lot of the releases, some worked and some didn't. I think that just because it comes out every year people lose perspective to how much the series has changed over time.

I mean shit you had full on sailing simulation, with new missions based around those for 3 entries in the series.

http://blog.ubi.com/what-each-assassins-creed-brought-to-the-series/

*edit* plus hell in Unity you had multiple ways of accomplishing the major assassinations, and they brought that back and refined it for Syndicate. Every major assassination had different ways it could be accomplished. One of the best assassinations in the franchise was the one from Unity where you replace the priest in the confessional and kill the guy when he comes to confess.

//ARCANUM

Hey all, I just jumped into Syndicate and I'm pretty impressed so far. It has great momentum vs Unity (which had a super boring 1st act. I never even got past it). But I'm propelled to keep going in this one.

Question - do I need to swap back and forth between the twins for any reason? Or could I theoretically play the whole game as just one of them and be fine? The game doesn't really tell me what the positives and negatives of playing 1 vs the other are.

Another thing - anyone having trouble with uplay? I can't log in to what I thought was my account and when I tell it to send a password reset email, the email never comes (and yes I've checked the junk box and trash and all that). So I figure, maybe I never made an account? Though I'm almost positive I did. So I try and make an account and the website/app just does nothing when I submit. Like nothing. Is it broken/down right now?

And finally, why does the AI always know I'm their enemy? Like I'm just walking down the street and they want to kill me? Shouldn't it wait until I do something bad? How does every person in London know my face? Is this just a flaw in the game?

Ascenion

Just finished the game. I liked it quite a bit, just felt the story came up short. Would've preferred Evie to have a longer storyline since at about sequence 5 it pretty much became Jacob's game. Would've preferred if they had their own separate sequences honestly since they had drastically different motivations. I liked both characters pretty much equally but probably spent more time playing as Evie. Still not sure how I feel about dual protagonists, but if they revisit the idea take some inspiration from Rockstar. I'm actually excited to see where AC goes next .

//ARCANUM

How do I equip evie's steampunk outfit? I downloaded the free DLC of it, exited to main menu and it installed, but I don't see an option for it in outfits...

Hey all, I just jumped into Syndicate and I'm pretty impressed so far. It has great momentum vs Unity (which had a super boring 1st act. I never even got past it). But I'm propelled to keep going in this one.

Question - do I need to swap back and forth between the twins for any reason? Or could I theoretically play the whole game as just one of them and be fine? The game doesn't really tell me what the positives and negatives of playing 1 vs the other are.

Another thing - anyone having trouble with uplay? I can't log in to what I thought was my account and when I tell it to send a password reset email, the email never comes (and yes I've checked the junk box and trash and all that). So I figure, maybe I never made an account? Though I'm almost positive I did. So I try and make an account and the website/app just does nothing when I submit. Like nothing. Is it broken/down right now?

And finally, why does the AI always know I'm their enemy? Like I'm just walking down the street and they want to kill me? Shouldn't it wait until I do something bad? How does every person in London know my face? Is this just a flaw in the game?
Jacob's talent tree is geared more towards combat while Evie is more about stealth. Each has the same options for skills except 3 special talents. It doesn't matter which one you want to play as, as they gather skill points together. The game will make you play a specific characters depending on the mission.

How do I equip evie's steampunk outfit? I downloaded the free DLC of it, exited to main menu and it installed, but I don't see an option for it in outfits...
You can change outfits not too far after the completing the tutorial

Top Bottom