• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart |OT| From Russia With Love

.Pennywise

ca664zI.png

yyR65R4.png

Openworld_GIF_STEAM_612x170.gif

Enemies_GIF_STEAM_612x170.gif

Weapons_GIF_STEAM_612x170.gif

6rcFujx.png

XJDz5bH.png

zXJlTak.png

ema2ZOH.png

oNAQnJy.png

CO9z8ld.png

6sXQgIe.png

XPPAIws.png

1dnztOK.png

SCREENSHOTS

ReYvv3H.jpg
GK77XPz.jpg
9cAY1az.jpg
6R1HqRG.jpg
uA1VH4X.jpg
och9CGg.jpg
ZUAkq4f.jpg
FFe3NoJ.jpg
Txn9Nep.jpg
UdnkbBn.jpg
Qnylzsr.jpg
zvS3Pju.jpg
INIzpJ3.jpg
PLugeVd.jpg
E0DuNSi.jpg
iwAoaUW.jpg
DfguMux.jpg
6DM4jpp.jpg
oVTCfVi.jpg
uc3XImZ.jpg
sdVApUR.jpg
Df7EKvT.jpg
SW9yfri.jpg
hEC9JRT.jpg
TcMaDFg.jpg
TmKxDdh.jpg
NSpbcMX.jpg
EkvOMXR.jpg
UyCgvGS.jpg
XO2V10r.jpg
Oqq1uGq.jpg
t5KZQUz.jpg

TRAILERS

7d75NFu.png

G1dPH8R.png

OT by .Pennywise
Thread title suggested by Kacho

Hugare

Great OT

Unfortunately, the PC Game Pass version is completely fucked (at least here)

It runs at a really low res, no matter what resolution I choose. Even 4K, it still looks the same (sub 900p)

I cant enable Vsync. The option is greyed out.

Due to the low res, DLSS and FSR look disgusting. Like, completely broken. I have to choose TAA, but the image looks even more blurry.

It seems optimized because its probably running at Switch resolutions

Great OT. Screenshots look dope.

Played it for 15 mins. Giving strong BioShock vibes. Which is not what I expected. Want it to be more mechanics focused, instead of feeding me a story constantly.

Hopefully, melee system that I saw in videos will come soon, and feel good.

Great OT

Solution from Steam forums that worked for me: Enable Nvidia Frame Gen even if you don't have a RTX 4000 card, then the game will prompt for a game restart. When you restart the game the Vsync option will be enabled.

*EDIT* I did this on Steam Deck GP PC/Win10 and it worked to allow Vsync. Since it worked in the menu, I assumed it was working in-game. When I tested on PC it worked in the menu, but when I loaded my save it disabled it again. However, after doing the process with FrameGen the Vsync via the Nvidia Control panel is working, even after save game load and game restart.

Last edited:

Hugare

Solution from Steam forums that worked for me: Enable Nvidia Frame Gen even if you don't have a RTX 4000 card, then the game will prompt for a game restart. When you restart the game the Vsync option will be enabled.

*EDIT* I did this on Steam Deck GP PC/Win10 and it worked to allow Vsync. Since it worked in the menu, I assumed it was working in-game. When I tested on PC it worked in the menu, but when I loaded my save it disabled it again. However, after doing the process with FrameGen the Vsync via the Nvidia Control panel is working, even after save game load and game restart.
Thanks, man

This also completely fixed the low resolution bug. What a weird ass fix for such bug.

Now the game looks amazing.

It disables frame gen on each new restart, but DLSS stays on

Last edited:
Thanks, man

This also completely fixed the low resolution bug. What a weird ass fix for such bug.

Now the game looks amazing.
:messenger_grinning_sweat: That is some straight up weird shit. The SteamOS version has a weird glitch that makes human skin materials look like glitching holograms and the fix is some equally weird settings toggling.

I never had the resolution issue for some reason. Even with DLSS 'Balanced' or 'Performance' the image quality is great. Game looks amazing.

Waiting for the PS5 version to be patched, not in the mood to have my console bricked or saves corrupted, seems they spent all their effort optimizing the Xbox version because "Game pass". Anyway, you all enjoy 👍

Denton

Looks fun, I'll wait for a patch though. Had enough of broken PC GamePass versions.
I am playing PC gamepass version and have yet to see a single bug, crash or framedrop, in some 5 hours of playtime.

(aside from the vsync greyed out, solvable by nvidia control panel)

Last edited:

nkarafo

I absolutely despise the way your character talks. I don't mind the others, just the main character. Maybe it could be better if the game was third person, since this would disassociate the character from ourselves. A shining example of why FPS protags need to be silent.

This might be the only reason i'm going to skip this game. Unless you can make him shut up in the options?

cormack12

Never had such a sense of place since bioshock Infinite. Some awful pop in like and performance tanks in strange places.

Playing on xsx

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game's doing very well on Steam with more than 23K people playing it at once, quite impressive considering it's also on GP.

Glad that the bad press wasn't able to keep people from trying it out, it looks fun and I can't wait to dive in today after work.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

I'm 6 hours in. It's fine.

Visually great! Atmosphere is great. But i'm kinda disappointed. It hinted at being a immersive sim, but it's far from it. No real reactive or deigetic systems in place. The furthest it goes in this area is the alarm system but it's pretty inconsequential on a persistency basis. No real planning and thinking over ways to approach situations.

World building is fine. It has some fun idea but non of these original concepts are interesting or interactve. Like the polymer floating water. It just functions as a static elevator, when it could've been so much more or player driven.

It's hard to make these games, I'm aware, but it falls pretty flat as a immersive sim. Structurally it's Bioshock Infinite all over again, which is a shame. I expected it to be a bit more of a 0451 game than it actually is. (It even hinted at being one in the boat ride intro).

Apart from that, Voice acting and writing is cringy AF. The main character is so incredibly dislikable it's almost impressive. Having a ok time so far, but i'm not really nonstop binging this game like I usually do with these, which is saying a lot.

Last edited:

Filben

Maybe it could be better if the game was third person, since this would disassociate the character from ourselves.
I'm not sure this makes a difference. If dialogues or the way someone's talking putting you off I don't think it's gonna change with perspective. See Forspoken. No camera placement would improve how that woman talks.

KungFucius

PC Gamepass is so rough from a UX point of view. I preloaded a couple of days ago it was 50GB, I tried to hit play yesterday because it showed that as an option, didn't run, said nothing about an update. Hit play today and it downloads a small update that it claims is 50GB, then goes into a full 66.9 GB download. So not only is it not ready but it fucking wasted a 50GB download this weekend. Fuck you MS for wasting my time and preventing me from playing the game I prepared to be able to play for an hour or so before work. Seriously what the fuck!

GHG

Hard pass.

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Great OT

Unfortunately, the PC Game Pass version is completely fucked (at least here)

It runs at a really low res, no matter what resolution I choose. Even 4K, it still looks the same (sub 900p)

Due to the low res, DLSS and FSR look disgusting. Like, completely broken. I have to choose TAA, but the image looks even more blurry.

It seems optimized because its probably running at Switch resolutions

Steam version runs very very well. I know it's not saying much considering what we've had to put up with of late, but it's one of the best optimised new releases we've had in a while.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch the tense Atomic Heart launch trailer for Mundfish's action-RPG. Get another look at the game's story, combat, and robots, and meet some of the characters you'll get to know in the new FPS. Atomic Heart is now available on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, Xbox One, and Xbox Game Pass.

nkarafo

I'm not sure this makes a difference. If dialogues or the way someone's talking putting you off I don't think it's gonna change with perspective. See Forspoken. No camera placement would improve how that woman talks.

I think bad dialogue is a bit more tolerable when you control a "character" and not "yourself" (which the first person perspective assumes). But yeah, Forspoken does cross the line with either approach.

I was never a fan of spoken dialogue in games anyway. I kinda miss when games had limited space and needed to use text for this.

Filben

I was never a fan of spoken dialogue in games anyway. I kinda miss when games had limited space and needed to use text for this.
I like it but, as an avid reader, I see where you're coming from. But I think with the 'democratization' and capitalization of gaming, making it available for the broadest audience possible and goes where the money flows, and the move to more cinematic-interactive experiences, the move to spoken dialogue is inevitable.

I agree, though, that limitations often sparks imagination both for the artist and recipient. When text boxes back then could only show one or three sentences tops, you're writing had to be concise and narrative-serving to the word. Any unnecessary word would prompt another text box and unnecessary button pushes for little gain, both mechanically and narratively.

Nowadays some characters will simply never end talking, still adding a sentence after you thought they already got across their point, while being edger to move on with the gameplay.

Anyways, many games still have great dialogues. As for AH, I can't tell since it's still downloading. If it's the English voice acting that sucks I can still switch to my native language and hope for the better. Maybe some writing flaws are hidden by the translation, which I've often encountered in several media (e. g. some Final Fantasy Games, some Animes have way better and more truthful translation in German than in English; latest example being Demon Slayer)

Reading all the posts while getting ready for work. How is everyone else home on a Tuesday but me? Is there more patche downloads after the pre download on Series X ? I need to make sure The xbox is set to the power mode to update.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Anyways, many games still have great dialogues. As for AH, I can't tell since it's still downloading. If it's the English voice acting that sucks I can still switch to my native language and hope for the better. Maybe some writing flaws are hidden by the translation, which I've often encountered in several media (e. g. some Final Fantasy Games, some Animes have way better and more truthful translation in German than in English; latest example being Demon Slayer)

Is there an option to use non-english spoken language with subs? Maybe Russian? That would be great.

cormack12

Reading all the posts while getting ready for work. How is everyone else home on a Tuesday but me? Is there more patche downloads after the pre download on Series X ? I need to make sure The xbox is set to the power mode to update.
Someone said they preloaded then had a 69gb update today.

I hadn't preloaded and stuck it on download first thing which was 69gb so unless its one of those where you can't patch it without a new dl you might be outta luck

Philfrag

Banned
I've played a few hours now. Its pretty amazing. It almost feels like its a set a new bar for how a new release should be. Its so polished (on my end), It looks incredible and the design and the world has so much imagination in it. The whole opening sequence left me stunned. My main issue is the FOV at the moment, hopefully they remedy that in a future patch.

As a PC gamer that has spent a lot of money on my rig I was beginning to feel really bad about being a gamer. Especially regarding big budget AAA games. None of them ran well or there would always be weird technical issues. This game has run perfectly for me so far. It shows that there really is no excuse for releasing games as broken as they seem to be nowadays. I really expected this game to not be real or run like complete shit. My faith in this industry has been restored a little bit since playing this. Its nice to see a game that's developed for people who want to play it, instead of the recent trend of developers creating a game for their marketing department to promote screen shots.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've played a few hours now. Its pretty amazing. It almost feels like its a set a new bar for how a new release should be. Its so polished (on my end), It looks incredible and the design and the world has so much imagination in it. The whole opening sequence left me stunned. My main issue is the FOV at the moment, hopefully they remedy that in a future patch.

As a PC gamer that has spent a lot of money on my rig I was beginning to feel really bad about being a gamer. Especially regarding big budget AAA games. None of them ran well or there would always be weird technical issues. This game has run perfectly for me so far. It shows that there really is no excuse for releasing games as broken as they seem to be nowadays. I really expected this game to not be real or run like complete shit. My faith in this industry has been restored a little bit since playing this. Its nice to see a game that's developed for people who want to play it, instead of the recent trend of developers creating a game for their marketing department to promote screen shots.
Yeah I was getting a bit worried too. Thankfully games that run this good, like Atomic Heart or Hi-Fi Rush (also UE4) have demonstrated that if the devs put enough care, the games can still run as a dream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom