• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart |OT| From Russia With Love

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
why? it's stupid

I don't know but I was in the middle of playing the game, put the system on standby and then when resumed it, it started downloading the update.

Sigh.

Eurojank gonna eurojank I suppose.

Why do you think so mate? People here seem to be liking it so far.
The writing and voice acting is worse than a movie you'd see on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

The encounter design is atrocious, you can't clear an area without finding the shutdown switch which is nearly impossible due to the shoddy design language of the game so you basically have to just sprint through enemies.

The gameplay itself is very basic, like 2012 era shooter.

No FoV slider.

I honestly can't find a single redeeming thing about this game beyond the graphics.

adamsapple

i m updating too on my xsx

That'll be awful, I'm still early in the game so would restart in case that happened but that would be unacceptable, i don't believe it would happen.

Crisis averted, save still works lol.

There's no patch notes, no nothing, no new options added in any of the settings menu.

This is a really bizarre humongous patch that seems like it was only there to reduce the games install size.

Vr46

Crisis averted, save still works lol.

There's no patch notes, no nothing, no new options added in any of the settings menu.

This is a really bizarre humongous patch that seems like it was only there to reduce the games install size.
wait, do y have fiber?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Played 2 hours of Bioslav Infinite after work today. Initial thoughts...

+ Fucking weird. This isn't gonna land with everyone but swearing granny? Horny vendor robot? Crispy critters? Down for it thus far
+ Gorgeous, really does look great and DLSS3 does a lot of heavy lifting. Playing at 4K with everything cranked up on a 4070ti and didn't check my frame count but it was definitely always over 60, maybe 90
+ Some real bops on the OST
+ Hold F to collect everything not nailed down is fantastic, more games need to start doing this
+ Plays fine for the most part, little jank here and there but often quite smooth
+ Door unlock minigame is nice, it's a tiny touch but it feels like I actually have to do something to complete the "puzzle", coming off the back of Hogwarts Legacy

- The absolute worst voice actor performance in recent memory. Put Harry Potter PS1 to shame. This is also a positive because it's just absurdly bad, and the script is about on par with a straight-to-DVD movie, which again, both great and awful
- Expected jank; is there a UI telling me the volt recharge time, am I just blind? Getting pinned to walls by enemies, getting physics yeeted etc.
- The dialogue constantly overlaps, was this game playtested once? Unless you stand perfectly still waiting for dialogue to finish lines are going to be interrupted by more lines most of the time

So yeah, mixed bag but the worst part of this game is also its most endearing. The script and VA are absolutely diabolical. But it's made me laugh out a loud a good three times so far which is way preferable to a completely uninteresting plot that doesn't even make me smile.

Dunno if I'll finish it because I really don't know if I need 20 hours of it, but I'm glad I at least tried it. Will play more in the week and see how it goes.

Denton

Had my first bug, weapon models disappeared from my hand after using the scanner. Reload fixed it.

I still hope patch will enlarge the subtitles ASAP though.

adamsapple

Went to boot it up on Series X just now.
67 gig update. What the fuck.

Yep. Just finished it. No discernible differences post-patch. No new options etc either.

Ah well.

Anyway, this is way more of a survival style game than I thought.

danklord

edit: made a bioshock reference, but now I see that's everybody.

It's kind of crazy how you can tell when they sub in effects on top of the engine for some of the more over the top scenes. Like when there's a ton of custom animation or even slightly when someone gets lasered in half.

Last edited:

SJRB

Man they just unapologetically stole the music from the movie Annihilation, didn't they?

It's literally the track from the movie score during one of the hallucination scenes.

Flabagast

I must say I find the title pretty solid so far.

Its really like a next gen Bioshock, and what’s impressive is the level of « cinematic set pieces » the game achieves. There are a lot of bespoke animations and high polish scripting, the kind of which you really never see in AA games (and for example it’s way more cinematic than Arkane games - though much more light on the immersive sim aspect)

Last edited:

Denton

Ridiculously good game. The combat is so chunky and great feeling, looting is satisfying, lore is fascinating and visual design is brilliant.

focushomeinteractives7nid2.png

focushomeinteractiveseud6z.png

Dude knows whats up

focushomeinteractives5be7b.png

Killer chicken? Now I've seen everything.

focushomeinteractives11izz.png

Dev1lXYZ

Downloaded it on GP this morning. Played about 20 min during my lunch break. Go to play it just now and a 67.54 GB update awaited me! Probably lost that 20 mins. 😂. Ah well, I could watch the intro again.

nikos

Finally made it to the open world and it seems everything is out to kill me. Hoping for more shooting and less meleeing.

Just got home to find my Xbox wants me to clear space for the update that didn’t happen while I was gone. It would seem it wont apply the update across drives to the expansion card that had 300gb of free space. The full game and updates has to take up one drive?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just met the fridge, holy shit it's going to melt. :goog_relieved:

I'm having a lot of fun, laughing at the stupidity of the main character and fighting soviet robots. The combat feels much better than I expected, it's not too floaty and landing a killing blow can feel great at times.
The shotgun is great too, love how sometimes the robots roll backwards when getting hit, makes it feel very powerful.

I'm playing on hard btw. It's true that the robotsd have a lot of life but I think I like it, makes every encounter feel tense.

I love this game. I am getting a little motion sickness from it though. My middle-aged brain can't handle it.
If you are on PC you might want to disable the motion blur, that might help.

adamsapple

I love this game. I am getting a little motion sickness from it though. My middle-aged brain can't handle it.

The non-interactive cut-scenes have a lot of motion/camera shake. I hate it too. I turn off camera shake whenever given the opportunity.

GymWolf

Yeah combat is chunky and satisfying, and the marks you leave on enemies should be the standard in any game.

Little hint, you can dodge while charging the L1 move, i personally prefer the normal charged attack over the spin, it's easy to keep an eye on enemies instead of spinning like a ballerina.

Last edited:

calistan

I'm still in the intro, but the art style... completely amazing. Really looking forward to playing. Before I get any further, just wanted to ask if anyone else is having problems with gysnc/freesync?

It defaulted to 'atomic' at 2560x1440, auto selected 144 Hz, vsync off, but there's some really weird tearing going on. Like I can't tell if it's normal screen tearing or confined to individual objects. My monitor's built-in fps counter shows mostly 144 with some dips.

GHG

Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

I'm still in the intro, but the art style... completely amazing. Really looking forward to playing. Before I get any further, just wanted to ask if anyone else is having problems with gysnc/freesync?

It defaulted to 'atomic' at 2560x1440, auto selected 144 Hz, vsync off, but there's some really weird tearing going on. Like I can't tell if it's normal screen tearing or confined to individual objects. My monitor's built-in fps counter shows mostly 144 with some dips.

If you're playing with freesync/gysnc then you need VSYNC to be turned on, either via your GPU vendor's control panel or in game (control panel is usually better). This is the case with all games.

Last edited:
Setting it to Rus voice from the getgo really sells the first impression. So Russian, much Bioshock comrade. Also, how hard is hard, might just bump the difficulty up because I want to savour it.

calistan

If you're playing with freesync/gysnc then you need VSYNC to be turned on, either via your GPU vendor's control panel or in game (control panel is usually better). This is the case with all games.
I messed with it some more, and switching the in-game fps limit from 144 to 90 seems to fix the problem. It's odd, it doesn't seem to be an actual framerate limit, as it's still going over 100. Vsync via the game is greyed out and unavailable.

Anyway, on with the robot revolution!

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

Arsic

Lmao. Era losing their minds over this game like with Hogwarts.

Bets on when they will ban talking about it and pulling the OT?

Even banned a person against the game because he was back seat modding ver so slightly. That place is run by the fattest greasiest purple haired retards on earth .

Best thing that happened to GAF and games discussion at large was them all mass exodus to one place to point at laugh at them like circus freaks.

—-

On topic I’m excited to play tomorrow night . Been out of town for work this week so I’m hyped.

Top Bottom