• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Is this your cozy flat?
I wish. I love my house but my wife and I are not good interior decorators. Here’s a blurry pic of my living room I shared over in the Steam Deck thread:
rAASL2il.jpg

Set-up is currently:
Speakers: Kef R500 (now discontinued)
Sub: Klipsch SW450
Amp: Marantz NR1200
Record player: AT LP120 w/ VM540ML cartridge
LP stand: 6x6 Boogie

The only upgrades I would like to do with this gear is replace the sub with something smaller and replace the record player with something nicer. For a new TT, I will probably go with U-Turn, Pro-ject, or Rega. I'll get one without a built-in phono pre-amp and probably just pick up the cheap one from Schiit.

The anti-skate & phono stage on the LP120 are both bad. The cartridge was a nice upgrade from the stock one. My next cart will be probably an Ortofon Blue, based on feedback from my coworker who is into really high-end gear. I added a cork & rubber slip mat as the default felt one made the static too much.

I'm honestly quite satisfied with the set-up so I haven't really been itching to upgrade just yet. My wife isn't necessarily an audiophile but since spending time with me, understands the power of a great sounding system so she support my purchases. We're both fairly cheap so I tend to either wait for sales or try to find the best bang-for-buck upgrades when possible. Also, we dropped like $10k on her greenhouse last year so I have some sway if needed. :messenger_smiling_horns:

Con-Z-epT

I wish. I love my house but my wife and I are not good interior decorators. Here’s a blurry pic of my living room I shared over in the Steam Deck thread:
rAASL2il.jpg

I like the arch and pillars in your living room. :messenger_beaming:

Set-up is currently:
Speakers: Kef R500 (now discontinued)
Sub: Klipsch SW450
Amp: Marantz NR1200
Record player: AT LP120 w/ VM540ML cartridge
LP stand: 6x6 Boogie

The only upgrades I would like to do with this gear is replace the sub with something smaller and replace the record player with something nicer. For a new TT, I will probably go with U-Turn, Pro-ject, or Rega. I'll get one without a built-in phono pre-amp and probably just pick up the cheap one from Schiit.

The anti-skate & phono stage on the LP120 are both bad. The cartridge was a nice upgrade from the stock one. My next cart will be probably an Ortofon Blue, based on feedback from my coworker who is into really high-end gear. I added a cork & rubber slip mat as the default felt one made the static too much.

I'm honestly quite satisfied with the set-up so I haven't really been itching to upgrade just yet. My wife isn't necessarily an audiophile but since spending time with me, understands the power of a great sounding system so she support my purchases. We're both fairly cheap so I tend to either wait for sales or try to find the best bang-for-buck upgrades when possible. Also, we dropped like $10k on her greenhouse last year so I have some sway if needed. :messenger_smiling_horns:

The record player is the one of a DJ! :messenger_grinning: I'm running a Pioneer PLX-500 which is also more suited for DJ's then an "audiophile" but it has grown on me and it doesn't die so its allowed to stay. I too would like to change it however. I have a cambridge phono amp but could also drive the player without it. I don't think it's that big of a difference.

It's a bit weird since 90% of me listening is happening through the computer which has by far the best sound in my living room. The rest such as gaming and movies is covered through a 11 year old Teufel surround system that still does a decent job. I would like to exchange it for a nice Yamaha Amp and new speakers but it's woven perfectly into the living room with wall mounts and covered cables. If i rip it out i would need to seal the holes and paint it. And since its an open living room directly connected to the corridor it would lead to a big renovation. I'm not ready for this yet and since everything works and the sound is above average i'll leave it for quite a while.

I would love to rearrange everything around the system and will do so if i ever start with a renovation or something significant stops working.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I like the arch and pillars in your living room. :messenger_beaming:

The record player is the one of a DJ! :messenger_grinning: I'm running a Pioneer PLX-500 which is also more suited for DJ's then an "audiophile" but it has grown on me and it doesn't die so its allowed to stay. I too would like to change it however. I have a cambridge phono amp but could also drive the player without it. I don't think it's that big of a difference.

It's a bit weird since 90% of me listening is happening through the computer which has by far the best sound in my living room. The rest such as gaming and movies is covered through a 11 year old Teufel surround system that still does a decent job. I would like to exchange it for a nice Yamaha Amp and new speakers but it's woven perfectly into the living room with wall mounts and covered cables. If i rip it out i would need to seal the holes and paint it. And since its an open living room directly connected to the corridor it would lead to a big renovation. I'm not ready for this yet and since everything works and the sound is above average i'll leave it for quite a while.

I would love to rearrange everything around the system and will do so if i ever start with a renovation or something significant stops working.

Nothing wrong with digital IMO. 100% of my new music discovery comes from Apple Music or Bandcamp. Youtube for live. I spend about 50-80% of my listening time on digital, depending on what I'm doing.

Vinyl to me is exclusively for 10/10 records or if I really ant to support the artist. I usually put on records over the weekend while I loaf about. Some evenings when I just want to relax. The only time I sense a sound quality improvement is on older rock records (Pink Floyd as an example) or if there is a better mix on vinyl versus digital release.

Con-Z-epT

Nothing wrong with digital IMO. 100% of my new music discovery comes from Apple Music or Bandcamp. Youtube for live. I spend about 50-80% of my listening time on digital, depending on what I'm doing.

Vinyl to me is exclusively for 10/10 records or if I really ant to support the artist. I usually put on records over the weekend while I loaf about. Some evenings when I just want to relax. The only time I sense a sound quality improvement is on older rock records (Pink Floyd as an example) or if there is a better mix on vinyl versus digital release.

Digital is very convenient in that regard and easily available. Vinyl is definitely more about the experience. Like, sitting or laying down only to listen with a beer or a glass of wine.

crumbs

Last edited:
3PuG9M9.jpg

Newest addition to the team.

SHURE M95EDM a 70s cartridge made in USA.

I was curious about mounting some vintage cartridge on my Dual turntable. And since I hunted down a second montage basket for my headshell so I wouldn't mess up my Nagaoka MP-110 settings on a stock montage basket... I also finally bought a second cartridge.

It sounds so much different than modern cartridges, it's insane. A bit warm but it's not like bass is over bearing, its pretty fast and quick also trebles are one of the nicest and easy to listen to I have ever heard (they sound so sweet and are not hurting your ears and boy they really have some air to them- pretty good stuff :messenger_sunglasses:) and it has a nice presence - soundstage is pretty nice.

Some tests after setting the proper tracking, I think, with a protractor template:

Some sibilance is still heard here and there but I think its the stylus it came with- dunno which aftermarket stylus it is and how bad its condition really is.

I was thinking of fitting it in with a nudline stylus series - black diamond. I've read a bunch of positive comments about those styli. And those are cheaper than my Nagaoka MP-110 styli which is JN-P110- and I wanted a backup cartridge with cheaper styli. Guess that's M95EDM for me :messenger_beaming:.

BTW. NS-670s enclosures should be ready next week. There was a bit of delay. But so far so good.

Last edited:
It would be fun to get to listen to this system. I love the rugs on the hardwood floor to help with reflections. That's why I bought a rug for my living room at least.
Yeah, rugs do help. I use one too in the middle of my room.

It really helps tbh.

Can't imagine not using one right now.

It's no brainier and it's cheaper than some audio panels on walls, for sure :messenger_sunglasses:.

But not directly under the loudspeakers. Yet.

I may think of some mini rugs in the future- but it has to blend in with the room and not look too weird. Would be so cool to test this one out instead of spikes etc - this may save some $$.

Or... Some cheap audio panels on walls. Maybe not exactly in the shape of eggs container :messenger_tears_of_joy: but I saw some nice designs which could blend with the room much better. Hexagon Foam Tiles could look pretty sick- especially those with uneven design. But dunno about the cheap part.

Last edited:
Found this Dual arc protractor for setting up the proper cartridge tracking https://www.ebay.com/itm/114394922936

With shipment to Poland it's like $43 US Dollar rate to Polish Zloty is like x4,37 - so too expensive for a sheet of paper. But seller has shown all the values so I did recreate this with the help of this site:
I already printed and laminated the thing. Checked scale with a ruler. Total cost, I guess a few cents tops?

Seems promising, I will check this one out on the weekend :messenger_sunglasses:. Still I have to cut out the spindle hole and whatnot.

I'm not expecting huge sound improvement but maybe I will loose the sibilance on Shure cart. That would be nice- but it could be the stylus is worn out.

That will be tested too but maybe next month. Lots of health issues for now so I have to bear with it a little longer, I guess.

Since arc protractors are set for spindle to spivot length and also effective length so the length of the arm too, offset and overhang- it should be more precise than generic/universal protractors I use now. If the data is true, that is.

But I guess the only thing to do now is set the cart with this "template" and check it out myself, for now by the ear.

Would love to own a testing LP, I might buy one - seems like it would be useful.

It would show if the settings really do make the difference or not, if it's not audible by ear.

Grado is really struggling btw.

The only thing I would drop my money on is this:

Tool only useful to vintage Dual turntable owners, you ignore protractor templates altogether and set the proper tracking angle in the cartridge holder thingie.
Made by Dual themselves. I guess someone just 3d printed them now that they are so scarce.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I picked up a record clamp finally. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet but hoping it helps with platter ringing.

I picked up a record clamp finally. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet but hoping it helps with platter ringing.

I do not use clamp- but I thought a about it.

But all were pretty expensive and my Dual has pretty thick original vintage rubber matt. Platter is also cast perfectly.

But I may pick up one down the road. For now, dropping some $$ on cartridges and stylus seems more important for me.

I also want to buy a record cleaner machine.

https://www.spincare.co.uk/products...ng-machine-system-accessories-inc-drying-rack decided to buy this one since its a lot cheaper than Pro-Ject Spin Clean and it comes with a drying rack which you can hide in the base of cleaning machine while not in use.

Edit: Another link to Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RYVSDF4/ seller is SpinCare so official store.

Also you can buy Replacement Brushes and Rollers.

I also make my own cleaning solution for records. Recipe made by some folks at Polish vinyl related forums (not my own formula).

Half products I use to make it:
Triple distilled water 10L (but I guess any other distilled water will do), Isopropyl Alcohol 99% purity for special usage in laboratories 1L (but I guess any other Isopropyl will do), Tetenal Mirasol 2000 Antistatic 0,25L (special antistatic agent for wetting b/w films made in Germany it also breaks surface tension of water so there won't be any streaks while vinyl is drying, it's concentrate)

For example to make a 0.5L of cleaning solution I use:
400ml distilled water, 100ml Isopropyl Alcohol, 1 to 2ml Mirasol (syringe is really useful to properly apply the needed amount)

If you can't buy Mirasol in your country, you can swap it with Fotonal solution- made in Czech Republic. Same thing apparently.

But Mirasol seems stronger 1:400 dilatation vs Fotonal 1:200.

Mirasol is godsend it really works wonders not only on b/w films but on vinyl too. Made one of my SOS BAND records which sounded like really bad - surface noise was more audible than music... A Very Good+ /Excellent- grade record no popping or crackling whatsoever, plays extra clean now. But it's a huge pain to clean your records by hand with some car detailing pads and soft cloth and apply the cleaning solution with atomizer (you have to be really careful to not spray your label because Isopropyl can damage it).

Record cleaning machine will be a huge upgrade. And it uses velour pads to scrub your record-- and it protects the label with rubber seal.

I made my own velour/velvet pads for scrubbing too so I know it works - but man, doing it by hand reaaaally sucks- and for a while I used a velour/velvet Tonar brush or something to scrub my records but it can wear out pretty quickly. And then car applicator pads and soft cloth.

I also tested the GOAT hair brush for wet cleaning but it can do a light paper inner sleeve like scratches- so velour/velvet pads/brushes won for me :messenger_sunglasses:.

That's why I know spincare record cleaning machine will be pretty good.

And also that drying rack will be a huge help and since Mirasol breaks the surface tension of my solution, there won't be any streaks :messenger_smirking:. Seems like a win-win combo.

Drying rack fits 10 LPs and you can clean apparently 25 to 50 records on the same solution, then you have to drain the "bathtub" - but I think there's a little drain hole with a cork.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I do not use clamp- but I thought a about it.

But all were pretty expensive and my Dual has pretty thick original vintage rubber matt. Platter is also cast perfectly.

But I may pick up one down the road. For now, dropping some $$ on cartridges and stylus seems more important for me.

I also want to buy a record cleaner machine.

https://www.spincare.co.uk/products...ng-machine-system-accessories-inc-drying-rack decided to buy this one since its a lot cheaper than Pro-Ject Spin Clean and it comes with a drying rack which you can hide in the base of cleaning machine while not in use.

Edit: Another link to Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RYVSDF4/ seller is SpinCare so official store.

Also you can buy Replacement Brushes and Rollers.

I also make my own cleaning solution for records. Recipe made by some folks at Polish vinyl related forums (not my own formula).

Half products I use to make it:
Triple distilled water 10L (but I guess any other distilled water will do), Isopropyl Alcohol 99% purity for special usage in laboratories 1L (but I guess any other Isopropyl will do), Tetenal Mirasol 2000 Antistatic 0,25L (special antistatic agent for wetting b/w films made in Germany it also breaks surface tension of water so there won't be any streaks while vinyl is drying, it's concentrate)

For example to make a 0.5L of cleaning solution I use:
400ml distilled water, 100ml Isopropyl Alcohol, 1 to 2ml Mirasol (syringe is really useful to properly apply the needed amount)

If you can't buy Mirasol in your country, you can swap it with Fotonal solution- made in Czech Republic. Same thing apparently.

But Mirasol seems stronger 1:400 dilatation vs Fotonal 1:200.

Mirasol is godsend it really works wonders not only on b/w films but on vinyl too. Made one of my SOS BAND records which sounded like really bad - surface noise was more audible than music... A Very Good+ /Excellent- grade record no popping or crackling whatsoever, plays extra clean now. But it's a huge pain to clean your records by hand with some car detailing pads and soft cloth and apply the cleaning solution with atomizer (you have to be really careful to not spray your label because Isopropyl can damage it).

Record cleaning machine will be a huge upgrade. And it uses velour pads to scrub your record-- and it protects the label with rubber seal.

I made my own velour pads for scrubbing too so I know it works - but man, doing it by hand reaaaally sucks- and for a while I used a velour Tonar brush or something to scrub my records but it can wear out pretty quickly. And then car applicator pads and soft cloth.

I also tested the GOAT hair brush for wet cleaning but it can do a light paper like scratches- so velour pads/brushes won for me :messenger_sunglasses:.

That's why I know spincare record cleaning machine will be pretty good. And also that drying rack will be a huge help and since Mirasol breaks the surface tension of my solution, there won't be any streaks :messenger_smirking:. Seems like a win-win combo. Drying rack fits 10 LPs, and you can clean 25 to 50 records on the same solution, then you have to drain the "bathtub" - but I think there's a drain hole with a cork.
I need to get a record cleaner as well. Mostly for the used ones I have from the 70s. Those all need a deep clean.

I need to get a record cleaner as well. Mostly for the used ones I have from the 70s. Those all need a deep clean.
Yeah, and try to make this cleaning solution if you can get the ingredients.

Spincare is pretty cheap for what you get from it. So my best bet for now is it.

I'm not really keen on dropping huge amount of money on some ultrasonic record cleaning machine. So lets not go in that territory right now :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:.

But even with this solution and cleaning by hand I got pretty good results.

SOS BAND record plays really fine now.

And I got James Brown - Hot and James Brown - Jam 1980's, both USA first presses and I washed those and OMG. Sounds better than Master Audio and FLAC files on any streaming services. Was blown away... Really.

And there was a TON of dust in the grooves. It was getting out when I first dropped both of those records on my turntable and it was a first pass after cleaning. Even though car detailing pads were supposed to do like a mini vacuum and suck the any residual Isopropyl Alcohol and dust and whatnot.

Gave both records a spin two times on both sides, cleaned my stylus with a mini brush (had to check a bunch of times if stylus isn't dragging too much of it), and when dust didn't appear anymore - boom, micro-dynamics were INSANE.

I'm curious how well will cleaning machine scrub the records and if dust will still get out of the grooves at first play.

Last edited:
Yeah, those records are easily in my TOP 10 best sounding records I own, after cleaning.

I also have 10cc USA first press of Bloody Tourists and after a wash it is too in my TOP 10, my mom really likes Dreadlock Holiday track. And it sure sounds better than anything on any streaming service.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I was reading this last night, thought it might be interesting to share. Rick Beato rated his top 40 best sounding albums:

#ArtistAlbumReleased
1John Coltrane and Johnny HartmanJohn Coltrane and Johnny Hartman1963
2Joni MitchellCourt and Spark1974
3Stevie WonderSongs in the Key of Life1976
4Steely DanAja1977
5QueenA Night at the Opera1975
6The Beach BoysPet Sounds1966
7Pink FloydDark Side of the Moon1994
8Thomas NewmanFinding Nemo2003
9SealKiss From a Rose [single]1994
10Peter GabrielSo1986
11John WilliamsMemoirs of a Geisha2005
12BostonBoston1977
13RadioheadKid A2000
14Robert PlantBand of Joy2010
15Tori AmosLittle Earthquakes1992
16The Rolling StonesLet It Bleed1969
17GenesisA Trick of the Tail1976
18Van HalenVan Halen1978
19ToolLateralus2011
20Dr. Dre20011999
21RushPermanent Waves1980
22SoundgardenSuperunknown1994
23Brad MehldauJacob's Ladder2022
24ChicagoSaturday in the Park / Dialogue (Part I & II) [single]1972
25OutKastSpeakerboxxx / The Love Below2003
26Gino VannelliBrother to Brother1978
27JellyfishSpilt Milk1993
28Sarah McLachlanFumbling Towards Ecstasy1993
29Sufjan StevensIllinois2005
30Alabama ShakesSound & Color2015
31Linkin ParkMeteora2003
32Tears for FearsSongs From the Big Chair1985
33Jay-ZThe Black Album2003
34KarnivoolSound Awake2009
35Bonnie RaittLuck of the Draw1991
36Fiona AppleWhen the Pawn...1999
37David BowieThe Next Day2013
38A Tribe Called QuestThe Low End Theory1996
39Doyle Bramhall IIDoyle Bramhall II1996
40Ray LaMontagneTill the Sun Turns Black2006

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My new addition to replace the VM95E. Looking forward to seeing how much more detail it'll dig out.
JabWey0.jpg
That's the exact upgrade I made as well. The highs were much clearer to me. The whole sound signature sounded like someone lifted a veil. Almost like it was a bit muffled.

Let me know your thoughts once you've made the swap and had some time to digest.

That's the exact upgrade I made as well. The highs were much clearer to me. The whole sound signature sounded like someone lifted a veil. Almost like it was a bit muffled.

Let me know your thoughts once you've made the swap and had some time to digest.
Just had a quick blast for one track (Tears by stone roses), doing an AB test between the E and ML and using my X2HR cans. It is as you described, there is an improvement in clarity, where the E sounds like there is a layer of fog across the music, but then it is gone with the ML. Its odd as I was quite happy with the E, but upgraditis struck (and didnt know what else I wanted for my birthday), and now can see why the ML is highly recommended. Just need to spend more time with it when I get some me time.

Mamofish

No experience of them. Probably best saying what you need though. Portable, just for at a desk with pc or phone? Do you need balanced output?
Yes, just using with phone and plug to pc as well. Balanced output is just TRS right? My understanding of balanced is including a ground to help with noise? I thought most things were balanced output these days.. I'm not very familiar.

Yes, just using with phone and plug to pc as well. Balanced output is just TRS right? My understanding of balanced is including a ground to help with noise? I thought most things were balanced output these days.. I'm not very familiar.
Balanced is where each driver has a hot and cold signal which are 180 degrees out of phase, and then a ground. Single ended each driver only has one signal cable with a ground. This enables noise to be identified and rejected. It also allows for more power.

If your headphones can be used with a balanced dac/amp, then ifi do some good ones. Their go blue is pretty damn good, and can be used to connect to phone or pc by bluetooth or usb. I had one for review and was very tempted to buy one, as was great not having it plugged into my phone when in my pocket. Then the ifi go bar gets great reviews, but doesnt have bluetooth but is more refined and more expensive.

If not wanting portable then I would be looking for a desktop dac/amp. I have the ifi zen dac v1 and use it most days when working. You can plug a phone (it has usb connection) into it, but you would need a psu/wall wart otherwise it will drain your phone battery.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone have experience with these dragonfly usb dacs? https://www.audioquest.com/page/aq-dragonfly-series.html

I'm looking for something easy to take or plugin to anything. I have some high quality IEMs but, I haven't experienced any kind of external DAC with them.
I've never had one but I've read good things. I've used a FiiO e10k before & it's usually just plug and play for those items. What's your source that you want an external DAC?

Mamofish

Balanced is where each driver has a hot and cold signal which are 180 degrees out of phase, and then a ground. Single ended each driver only has one signal cable with a ground. This enables noise to be identified and rejected. It also allows for more power.

If your headphones can be used with a balanced dac/amp, then ifi do some good ones. Their go blue is pretty damn good, and can be used to connect to phone or pc by bluetooth or usb. I had one for review and was very tempted to buy one, as was great not having it plugged into my phone when in my pocket. Then the ifi go bar gets great reviews, but doesnt have bluetooth but is more refined and more expensive.

If not wanting portable then I would be looking for a desktop dac/amp. I have the ifi zen dac v1 and use it most days when working. You can plug a phone (it has usb connection) into it, but you would need a psu/wall wart otherwise it will drain your phone battery.

Thanks for the detailed response! I'll look into those.

I've never had one but I've read good things. I've used a FiiO e10k before & it's usually just plug and play for those items. What's your source that you want an external DAC?

I have a decent collection of FLAC and my IEMS are this: https://www.64audio.com/collections/custom-iems/products/a12t

I listen a lot on my phone at home while I'm doing chores, I started looking into it for my laptop which currently only has on-board audio out. Portability and not too expensive for my first DAC is what I'm looking for.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thanks for the detailed response! I'll look into those.

I have a decent collection of FLAC and my IEMS are this: https://www.64audio.com/collections/custom-iems/products/a12t

I listen a lot on my phone at home while I'm doing chores, I started looking into it for my laptop which currently only has on-board audio out. Portability and not too expensive for my first DAC is what I'm looking for.
Yeah, I think dragonfly is a decent starting point for your mobile gear. Which version/model were you considering?

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts once you've got everything sorted.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I am well overdue for a few reviews. First up is the 7hz x Crinacle Salnotes Dioko.
ZiEk4IA.jpg

A couple house cleaning items:
  • For tips, I am not a fan of the silicone ones provided, as is true for every pair of silicone tips. I have a set of cheap foam ones that give me a much better seal and do not irritate my inner ear canal.
  • For audio source, I am using ALAC files from Apple Music; 24-bit, 192khz where possible
  • Other equipment tested with the IEMs: iPhone 12, MacBook Pro paired with a Schiit Mani DAC and powered by the Audioengine N22
  • I tend to prefer a more neutral sound signature and I prefer a clean, precise sound to the bass

This is my first experience with Planars. I had read previously about them is the bass response, or the lack thereof, was a big departure compared to dynamic drivers. When running the Diokos direct from my iPhone, this is absolutely true. The IEMs sound way too flat and tinny. It's frankly, unlistenable. On desktop, paired with the amp, they sound much, much fuller and alive. I would not recommend using these without some external power amplification to help the sound signature come through properly. To me, the sound signature is reminiscent of listening to a 2-channel set-up without a subwoofer.

The sound stage isn't anything to write home about but does the job. Imaging is good, especially at $100. Though I would take my DT 1990 Pros anyway for imaging but that's exactly a fair comparison when we look at price v performance.

Compared to dynamic drivers, I think I would go for planar every time unless it's hip-hop or electronica. Run the Jewels, Atmosphere, Wu-Tang, NWA, The Roots, Mos Def, etc. sound way too flat on these, for example. Run the Jewels, Atmosphere, Wu-Tang, NWA, The Roots, Mod Def, etc. sound way too flat on these, for example. Japanese Breakfast's track 'Posing in Bondage' was an exception on pop/alternative here, as this also sounded too flat on the Diokos.

That said, even with additional power, they still sound flat compared to the dynamic driver IEMs and over-ear headphones I've got. Bassy tracks like those on my playlist below from Wet, Skaters, Billie Eilish, and Crosses sound incredibly enjoyable to me, though most of my friends who have tried miss the muddy sound that is typical on more consumer oriented gear. I absolutely adore the clarity these headphones provide.

One area where I think these headphones shine for your average consumer are 60s/70s rock and beyond. 'Something' by The Beatles sounds amazing on these, for example--The 2019 mix specifically is absolutely sublime. The strings, drums, vocals all have space to shine through with clarity in imaging that showcases well the capabilities of the Diokos.. Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan sound particularly fantastic here as well.

Most of the modern rock I listened to also sounds fantastic on these. Jazz is another area where these shine. Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Mouse on the Keys are all enjoyable to listen to on the Diokos.

In summary: great for critical listening and for those who enjoy a more neutral signature. At $100 entry point, I think anyone interesting in exploring planars can't go wrong with the Diokos.​

For testing purposes, here are the tracks I utilize across all gear & set-ups. I will do additional listening, to specific albums that I have in heavy rotation.
y1mFSQt.png

H5kaoME.png

Anyone have experience with these dragonfly usb dacs? https://www.audioquest.com/page/aq-dragonfly-series.html

I'm looking for something easy to take or plugin to anything. I have some high quality IEMs but, I haven't experienced any kind of external DAC with them.
Heard one while choosing my headphones in Poznań, Poland. It was pretty good for what it was. But I also heard two Devialet's Phantom Gold hooked up to Tidal the same day playing in stereo, so yeah. My memory can be a bit fuzzy :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

Anyways back to them portable DACs you can hook up to phones. Lately I saw this little dongle, seems cool but a bit overpriced I guess: Questyle Audio M15

You probably pay a more because its transparent.... Cool design:
03.jpg

05.jpg

If you want some entry level phone dongle DAC its best to go for a safe bet which is Dragonfly. But If I will ever have the chance to listen to this Questyle thingie I think I will. Seems cool and all but I would rather test it out before blind purchasing this thing. Its not that cheap.

Some reviews: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/questyle-m15-·-mobile-lossless-headphone-amp-with-dac.25804/reviews
If anyone is curious.

Last edited:

deathsaber

I'm far from an audiophile. Just got my first, low-end turntable, which of course comes with a pretty basic felt platter mat. I understand these are basically poo, because aren't great for accoustics, and generate static, and attract hair/dust.

So, what are the opinions on the best kind of platter mat to get?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm far from an audiophile. Just got my first, low-end turntable, which of course comes with a pretty basic felt platter mat. I understand these are basically poo, because aren't great for accoustics, and generate static, and attract hair/dust.

I replaced my felt one with a combo rubber/cork mat. This one specifically:

Sold out on Amazon right now but TTL has it in stock on their site:

I want to get an anti-static gun too, because my dog's hair makes the whole house static ridden.

What turn table did you get?

Last edited:

I use rubber mat which is stock mat used in my turntable. But that's a vintage model.

I guess you can either go for silicone/rubber or cork mat.

Or Arcrylic one.

I guess either one is good.

Personally I like the look of rubber/silicon one the most. And all turntables I have ever saw or used mostly had rubber mats. So maybe I'm a bit biased. But it's worth considering, I think.

But cork mat can look pretty cool too I guess. So it's down to the preference.

I am also curious what turntable you have bought.

My best guess is either Pro-Ject, Rega or Audio-Technica :messenger_sunglasses:. Let me know if I have guessed right.

Original rubber platter mat on my Dual 1246 turntable (1978-1980 year model):

1DNrCHB.jpg
HuGE5bE.jpg

It looks just right for me, I like them shapes and whatnot. I'm not even tempted to try anything else, tbh. Everything else just feels like it would be a downgrade. But I dunno.

I use this site for vintage cartridges new styli, they are the only sellers which lists the brands the sell. So yeah and apparently they have original Dual mats but dunno which one exactly, seems pricey:
Edit: it's regular rubber flat mat used on Dual CS 505...

Maybe just look on ebay/amazon? Tonar 5988 rubber mat seems high quality but that pricing... Hmm.

Some lower priced alternatives:

Last edited:

deathsaber

Well, like I said, I'm a first timer in the vinyl format. Got the Angels Horn turntable sold on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BZSK29Z/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Some good and a couple negative impressions online, but overall seemed like a good starter player as long as you set up property (which i did my research, a lot of negatives seemed from people clueless on how to set up), and for my purposes so far, it works perfectly as a basic, manual turntable. I wanted to avoid the starter Audio Technica turntable, since its all automatic, has no adjustable counterweight, etc, and wanted to to have a more "real" turntable experience if that makes sense.

It actually started with me just asking for one of those $40 Victrola suitcase record players for Christmas as a lark. I just figured, why not get a bargain basement player, and pick up a record or two for fun since the format made a comeback , but quickly found out what I guess everyone finds out with those- the sound is beyond awful (I didn't have high sound expectations from a $40 record player, but wasn't expecting THAT bad), and they basically constantly skip on everything (especially the rock/metal I listen too when it gets bass-y. ) Plus, to my understanding, continued use would likely destroy my records from the cheap needle, and lack of any adjustable tracking weight.

So, it took me all of like a week or two to get a real turntable instead of just a "record player". That soon followed with a nice Klipsch speaker and a whole pile of records now, and now scored a bunch vintage vinyls and 45s from family from the 60s/70s, which is pretty cool. Its weird because I have apple music, but its so much more enjoyable listing to something on vinyl. I guess its that whole album feel thats been lacking since I was a kid in the 80s/90s.

Well, like I said, I'm a first timer in the vinyl format. Got the Angels Horn turntable sold on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BZSK29Z/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Some good and a couple negative impressions online, but overall seemed like a good starter player as long as you set up property (which i did my research, a lot of negatives seemed from people clueless on how to set up), and for my purposes so far, it works perfectly as a basic, manual turntable. I wanted to avoid the starter Audio Technica turntable, since its all automatic, has no adjustable counterweight, etc, and wanted to to have a more "real" turntable experience if that makes sense.

It actually started with me just asking for one of those $40 Victrola suitcase record players for Christmas as a lark. I just figured, why not get a bargain basement player, and pick up a record or two for fun since the format made a comeback , but quickly found out what I guess everyone finds out with those- the sound is beyond awful (I didn't have high sound expectations from a $40 record player, but wasn't expecting THAT bad), and they basically constantly skip on everything (especially the rock/metal I listen too when it gets bass-y. ) Plus, to my understanding, continued use would likely destroy my records from the cheap needle, and lack of any adjustable tracking weight.

So, it took me all of like a week or two to get a real turntable instead of just a "record player". That soon followed with a nice Klipsch speaker and a whole pile of records now, and now scored a bunch vintage vinyls and 45s from family from the 60s/70s, which is pretty cool. Its weird because I have apple music, but its so much more enjoyable listing to something on vinyl. I guess its that whole album feel thats been lacking since I was a kid in the 80s/90s.

Yeah, those cheap and market thingies probably use piezoelectric stylus with huge stylus pressure, those can and probably will destroy records fairly quickly.

This Angel Horn turntable actually looks pretty decent!

It reminds me of Rega Planar, those are too real manual tts- no automatics of any kind, to switch from 33rpm to 45rpm you have to move the belt manually too.

Dunno about Bluetooth thingie. But it may be pretty good for casual first time user since I guess you wouldn't need any amp, you just stream it! So this makes sense, I guess.

Yeah, so I decided make my own workshop in the basement. Wood and whatnot. I need to clear things out there.

Gonna build my own new boxes for Saba speakers myself.

For my needs I will need a cheap cordless orbital sander and some cheap cordless random orbital sander, some heater and moisture absorber, maybe a better lamp to have a proper lighting in there. I will treat it more like a side hobby thingie, so no pro equipment needed. I got like two jobs in mind. Maybe three.

I'm also gonna learn on boxes I will build myself how to apply veneer so in the future maybe Yammies will have a new veneer :messenger_sunglasses:. Better to do trial and error run on boxes I can fuck it up with a peace of mind, I guess.

I'm not exactly pleased by this carpenter job... So yeah. I will take it up with him for a few corrections on Yammies so I will be at least satisfied to a degree, since it looks like he did fucked up a few things. As wax started to dry out, I dunno with what he applied it but it sure as hell wasn't a polishing machine, slight botched places appear. And a few light scratches- and those do not go in straight line either, they are curved like he did those with orbital sander. I was under the impression that a carpenter knows the obvious like that you have to follow the tree jar/rings with sanding and whatnot...

He will do the corrections by hand with a low grit wet sandpaper because I will take it up with him- and there isn't much veneer left to do some heavy machine work. But I'm not mad, just.. Well... Disappointed.

So I guess the only person you can really trust is you... But I take it as a learning experience all together.

That's why I also decided to build boxes for Saba myself. I can't trust another dude which I'm gonna pay to disappoint me again, even if just a bit. Better to pay for tools. And use a free time to do some hobby thingie.

My brother also have his loudspeakers from 1971 to do a renovation on... So I guess after I finish my repairs I could do his and that's just about it? I would hate it for him to be also not pleased 100% with a work of some random dude.

And I think my friend has also a job to do on some vintage Grundig loudspeakers I could also remade those if the need arise. So yeah, 4 jobs. Tops.

Then maybe dunno, I will get into cloning some speakers? I always wanted these bad boys:

W0cvdpU.jpg

Would love to clone those- since pricing is insane on those for sure. If I can at least get the speaker holder thingies and metal parts and this potentiometer holder thingie. It's clonable for sure. All the drivers are being still made new. And crossover has schematics widely available.

If I would get only holder thingies and metal rings and not this pot holder thingie I guess I could just clone this without it? Or mount some pots like Yammies have inside the enclosure. This could work too. Monacor sells speaker potentiometers. Eminence too.

Let me know what you guys think (y)

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah, so I decided make my own workshop in the basement. Wood and whatnot. I need to clear things out there.

For my needs I will need a cheap cordless orbital sander and some cheap cordless random orbital sander, some heater and moisture absorber, maybe a better lamp to have a proper lighting in there. I will treat it more like a side hobby thingie, so no pro equipment needed. I got like two jobs in mind. Maybe three.

I'm also gonna learn on boxes I will build myself how to apply veneer so in the future maybe Yammies will have a new veneer :messenger_sunglasses:. Better to do trial and error run on boxes I can fuck it up with a peace of mind, I guess.

I'm not exactly pleased by this carpenter job... So yeah. I will take it up with him for a few corrections on Yammies so I will be at least satisfied to a degree, since it looks like he did fucked up a few things. As wax started to dry out, I dunno with what he applied it but it sure as hell wasn't a polishing machine, slight botched places appear. And a few light scratches- and those do not go in straight line either, they are curved like he did those with orbital sander. I was under the impression that a carpenter knows the obvious like that you have to follow the tree jar/rings with sanding and whatnot...

He will do the corrections by hand with a low grit wet sandpaper because I will take it up with him- and there isn't much veneer left to do some heavy machine work. But I'm not mad, just.. Well... Disappointed.

So I guess the only person you can really trust is you... But I take it as a learning experience all together.

That's why I also decided to build boxes for Saba myself. I can't trust another dude which I'm gonna pay to disappoint me again, even if just a bit.

My brother also have his loudspeakers from 1971 to do a renovation on... So I guess after I finish my repairs. I could do his and that's just about it? I would hate it for him to be also not pleased 100% with a work of some random dude. And my friend has also a job to do on some vintage Grundig loudspeakers I could also remade those if the need arise.

Let me know what you guys think (y).
Sounds badass. I wish I had the space (and patience) to do my own wood working.

Polish studio monitor. Apparently it goes as low as 30hz in closed enclosure. 30cm (12 inch) woofer on AlNiCo magnet. JBL used woofers with similar magnets too. It is still made today, woofer, midrange and tweeter, so parts are there. Other than that what is needed is patience and a bit of experience. Also a bit of luck, if only I had a friend which is a lathe-operator it would go pretty smoothly, I think. I could copy holder thingies and whatnot and not hunt for them like a idiot. And I guess it would be doable for a friction of price, hmm.

Last edited:

That's why I also decided to build boxes for Saba myself. I can't trust another dude which I'm gonna pay to disappoint me again, even if just a bit. Better to pay for tools. And use a free time to do some hobby thingie.

My brother also have his loudspeakers from 1971 to do a renovation on... So I guess after I finish my repairs I could do his and that's just about it? I would hate it for him to be also not pleased 100% with a work of some random dude.

And I think my friend has also a job to do on some vintage Grundig loudspeakers I could also remade those if the need arise. So yeah, 4 jobs. Tops.

Then maybe dunno, I will get into cloning some speakers? I always wanted these bad boys:

W0cvdpU.jpg

Would love to clone those- since pricing is insane on those for sure. If I can at least get the speaker holder thingies and metal parts and this potentiometer holder thingie. It's clonable for sure. All the drivers are being still made new. And crossover has schematics widely available.

If I would get only holder thingies and metal rings and not this pot holder thingie I guess I could just clone this without it? Or mount some pots like Yammies have inside the enclosure. This could work too. Monacor sells speaker potentiometers. Eminence too.

Let me know what you guys think (y)
Sounds good mate. Look forward to seeing the results. With regards to appling veneer, the best way is the old way. Use something called animal glue, it comes as little beads that need melting and can be watered down to make it easier to work with. The advantage is that you can use an iron and damp cloth to help apply it and if it goes on wrong you can use the iron to melt the glue to allow you to remove the veneer to try again. Once glued on you will need to put a flat piece of board over it and clamp it down.

Ive built a few bits for my hifi, built my speaker stands, my rack and a pi based streamer. Love doing builds. Heres my streamer build.
E693zC2.jpg

Sounds good mate. Look forward to seeing the results. With regards to appling veneer, the best way is the old way. Use something called animal glue, it comes as little beads that need melting and can be watered down to make it easier to work with. The advantage is that you can use an iron and damp cloth to help apply it and if it goes on wrong you can use the iron to melt the glue to allow you to remove the veneer to try again. Once glued on you will need to put a flat piece of board over it and clamp it down.

Ive built a few bits for my hifi, built my speaker stands, my rack and a pi based streamer. Love doing builds. Heres my streamer build.
E693zC2.jpg
Thanks for advice! I also thought about using proper glue, iron and cloth, a piece of flat board some simple clamps and maybe some bench press weights in the middle since presses are really expensive and veneer machines and that's a few projects tops for me- so I want to do it cheaper and take my time with it. I'm leaving the loudspeakers cloning in the phase of dreams for now :messenger_ok:. I will focus on what I want to do now and what is actually doable.

Did you make this build with classic veneer or modified veneer on fliseline? Those are not as thick as natural ones but you won't have to stain those since they already have color and tree jars. And also are a bit more flexible apparently and easier to work with iron and cloth, after applying two layers of glue on it and two layers of glue on working surface- of course on the surface on which all the cavities were previously filled with putty and then matted and dusted off.

Just curious what have you worked with - I'm more in the absorbing the knowledge and following advice of more experienced people for now, but I will get there. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BossLackey

Not sure if this fits, exactly, but I recently consolidated my day-to-day audio sources into one and it's been very nice.

I'm on my PC quite a bit both for work and games and whatnot. This is also where my PS5 and Switch are hooked up to (primary monitor). Since I like to grind in a game while watching something on my second monitor, the different audio channels have been a pain in the ass.

I feel stupid for waiting this long to do it, but I was able to just use a 3.5mm male-to-male from my monitor's output into a closed loop noise isolator (because the Switch introduces a TON of noise into the chain) and that into a line-in on my PC and then listening to that line-in with Windows. Now I have a separate channel for consoles that I can listen to with my PC audio. Never have to worry about different headphones or whatever. Just always rockin the one thing and it has made everything SO much more convenient.

I only have a pair of DT 770s (80 OHM) and just raw-doggin it with the mobo's on-board chipset, but I'm looking to get a decent DAC/AMP stack here soon and then after that, maybe some HD 600s. That will probably hold me over for like 5 years.

Last edited:
Those look killer. Reminds me of the Klipsch Heresy. I've always wanted a pair of 'em. They just look so cool.
cropped-Klipsch-Heresy-III-Review.jpg
Look simple enough to do without the stands- with integrated stands it could be a tougher project for a noobie. The front panel is this some kind of a foam?

Polish vintage loudspeakers from early 1970s like 1971 year had similar design, if so:
The only difference is they didn't use black foam ;),

Are the drivers available and crossover schematics? If so I believe they are cloneable.

Last edited:
Not sure if this fits, exactly, but I recently consolidated my day-to-day audio sources into one and it's been very nice.

I'm on my PC quite a bit both for work and games and whatnot. This is also where my PS5 and Switch are hooked up to (primary monitor). Since I like to grind in a game while watching something on my second monitor, the different audio channels have been a pain in the ass.

I feel stupid for waiting this long to do it, but I was able to just use a 3.5mm male-to-male from my monitor's output into a closed loop noise isolator (because the Switch introduces a TON of noise into the chain) and that into a line-in on my PC and then listening to that line-in with Windows. Now I have a separate channel for consoles that I can listen to with my PC audio. Never have to worry about different headphones or whatever. Just always rockin the one thing and it has made everything SO much more convenient.

I only have a pair of DT 770s (80 OHM) and just raw-doggin it with the mobo's on-board chipset, but I'm looking to get a decent DAC/AMP stack here soon and then after that, maybe some HD 600s. That will probably hold me over for like 5 years.
Nice! But I had those DT 770s and I didn't like them that much since I listen to audio on vintage loudspeakers I found their soundstage large but also artificial. But I had like 32 ohms model I believe, 80 ohm model may sound differently.

Ultrasone headphones won my heart with their natural sounding soundstage. I also can't seem to push them to the max at all and I got weird resonance in one of the cans of those DTs I had. Those were weird headphones for sure or I got defective model and since I bought them online, I returned them within 14 days of purchase.

Anyways back to Ultrasones, they actually use your ear lobes to build the soundstage similarly to what loudspeakers do. The only thing is you can actually hear the left speaker in your right ear and right speaker in your left ear. And this is not actually doable with any headphones I believe.

And then and only then the sound goes into your ear canals, those things have crazy good soundstage. For what its worth.

Especially after the warming phase sure can make your eyes pop.

S-Logic it is called, google it. If you are curious.

Or watch this vid.

If you will have the chance to listen to those in some headphones shop, give them a try. Not necessarily forcing you to drop some huge money on a new headphones. Just trying to make you curious. Maybe you will like them, is all.

Last edited:
Thanks for advice! I also thought about using proper glue, iron and cloth, a piece of flat board some simple clamps and maybe some bench press weights in the middle since presses are really expensive and veneer machines and that's a few projects tops for me- so I want to do it cheaper and take my time with it. I'm leaving the loudspeakers cloning in the phase of dreams for now :messenger_ok:. I will focus on what I want to do now and what is actually doable.

Did you make this build with classic veneer or modified veneer on fliseline? Those are not as thick as natural ones but you won't have to stain those since they already have color and tree jars. And also are a bit more flexible apparently and easier to work with iron and cloth, after applying two layers of glue on it and two layers of glue on working surface- of course on the surface on which all the cavities were previously filled with putty and then matted and dusted off.

Just curious what have you worked with - I'm more in the absorbing the knowledge and following advice of more experienced people for now, but I will get there. Thanks in advance!
The other option for using animal glue is using a veneer hammer, which is more of a scraper, using it like a squeegy. Definitely worth having a read up and watch videos and using some trial pieces to test techniques. Been a long time since I used veneer, and was always proper wood veneer as I was using it on antiques.

My streamer build was mdf and spray paint with clear gloss laquer polished up.

The other option for using animal glue is using a veneer hammer, which is more of a scraper, using it like a squeegy. Definitely worth having a read up and watch videos and using some trial pieces to test techniques. Been a long time since I used veneer, and was always proper wood veneer as I was using it on antiques.

My streamer build was mdf and spray paint with clear gloss laquer polished up.
Thanks for pitching in. Until I will make my work space, I will appreciate any kind of advice. I will keep it in mind and also watch some videos.

And I also believe in trial and error so maybe I will buy some cheap mdf boards not too thin and also not too thick so they are not pricey to test some things out. Better to test stuff on some shitty boards and learn. I can even buy some lower grade veneer it doesn't have to be first grade for some tests. It's better than to jump in a deep water and butcher some loudspeakers I want to renovate... Without prior experience.

It's better to take time and learn, for sure:messenger_ok:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom