• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

BossLackey

Nice! But I had those DT 770s and I didn't like them that much since I listen to audio on vintage loudspeakers I found their soundstage large but also artificial. But I had like 32 ohms model I believe, 80 ohm model may sound differently.

Ultrasone headphones won my heart with their natural sounding soundstage. I also can't seem to push them to the max at all and I got weird resonance in one of the cans of those DTs I had. Those were weird headphones for sure or I got defective model and since I bought them online, I returned them within 14 days of purchase.

Anyways back to Ultrasones, they actually use your ear lobes to build the soundstage similarly to what loudspeakers do. The only thing is you can actually hear the left speaker in your right ear and right speaker in your left ear. And this is not actually doable with any headphones I believe.

And then and only then the sound goes into your ear canals, those things have crazy good soundstage. For what its worth.

Especially after the warming phase sure can make your eyes pop.

S-Logic it is called, google it. If you are curious.

Or watch this vid.

If you will have the chance to listen to those in some headphones shop, give them a try. Not necessarily forcing you to drop some huge money on a new headphones. Just trying to make you curious. Maybe you will like them, is all.

Watching when I get home. That sounds nuts! I'm always open to new things audio. I do wish I had some better options around me as far as trying cans. Gonna have to go to an expo someday but there are never any even close to where I live. These Ultrasones sound interesting!

Watching when I get home. That sounds nuts! I'm always open to new things audio. I do wish I had some better options around me as far as trying cans. Gonna have to go to an expo someday but there are never any even close to where I live. These Ultrasones sound interesting!
If you can try listen to Ultrasones try the Pro 900i, those will blow your mind.

They are a bit of a premium cans but I saw them go as low as $157 on Thomann.de

I remember them being priced at $405 or so.

Plug in cable- 2 sets one straight other is spiral, two sets of ear pads: one leather- stronger bass a bit closer soundstage, one velvet- wider soundstage, less bass you just twist them 180° and they come off, same thing with putting them back on + a case for all of these. That's what comes in with the headphones.

My Ultrasone HFI-580 have decentralised drivers but S-Logic tune in holes are plastic, and ear pads replacement is a chore. You start to invent curses in ancient language trying to fit those on...

This is an older model, newer similar in spec is Pro 580i it replaced mine but lately I saw Ultrasone Pro 780i on Thomann.de priced lower than the Pro 580s...

Or maybe they were Pro 750s, they look almost identical to 900i but dunno about the sound difference. You could read up on it.

Pro 900i S-Logic is all metal, even tune in holes.

My friends Ultrasone Pro 900i on my Yamaha A-960II integrated amplifier sound through NuForce uDAC-3 - no ear pads on, 0.5m-1m placement of camera with zoom:

And they still pump up bass.

They go as low as 6hz effectively. Those cans are monsters :lollipop_thescream:.

And whatever you throw at them even with such a big amp as Yammie A-960II even if they are plugged in the phones input I suspect it still uses 4x big Sanken power transistors with it and I still couldn't make any distortion whatsoever. Unlike DT770s which started to crap out at moderate sound levels... and only at one can. Like this resonance or clipping / peak? Or smth. It was weird.

Last edited:
You always could order some model online from reliable site and I believe you can return them no question asked within 14 days. And test those, but I wouldn't go lower than Pro 580s. Depends on your budget. I'm curious about those Pro 750s since they look pretty much identical to Pro 900s, they could have similar build quality with replacebale pads and cables but that needs to be checked and also the sound difference. Pro 900s basically find bass in almost everything. You can like it or not. While having monitor like staging and detail. Pro 750s could have the same staging and detail but could be a bit more civilised in bass department - but you need to check the reviews.

Anyways I game on those Ultrasones HFI-580 on PS5 and I can easily power them with jack input of DualSense.

Imaging is insane while playing for example Call of Duty MW2 or Warzone 2 multi with friends.

I later used them on PS4 with DualShock 4 jack input too playing COD MW2019 and Warzone 1 and I always found them pretty amazing with music and gaming. Both.

But when I play single player games I hook them up to a second amp Hitachi HA-330 as I have my PS5 signal go to TV and from mini Jack on TV to this vintage amp. But you could easily drive them with game pad or in your case with PC motherboard as you have mention you drive DT770s through there while using signal path from consoles.

I still need to check them on Callisto Protocol and maybe Dead Space remake but only if price drops. I watched Digital Foundry review of Dead Space Remake and they praised the sound mix as it supposedly bounce of the ingame walls creating life like sounds. I'm curious how those sound on S-Logic or S-Logic Plus. But it's priced pretty high. And I already played the original on launch I believe.

Last edited:

JBat

I know next to nothing about audio equipment and need someone to tell me if this is a dumb idea and give some suggestions. I've been considering the Sennheiser hd650 headphones with either a Schiit Magni 3+ and Modi 3+ amp and DAC or their Hel 2A DAC/amp combo thingy. This would be primarily used for gaming on my PC and music every once in a while. I've got a Pulse 3d headset for my PS5 and honestly don't know how that compares to an expensive set of headphones with the accompanying equipment. I've read that the 650's aren't good for gaming because they don't do spacial audio well but again have no clue and I've also read stuff saying if their good for music their good for gaming so not sure what to think. I like the idea of open back headphones so I can still be aware of what's going on in the house. I've never thought too much about audio quality but want to give it a shot. Plus I've got the upgrade bug and audio is the only thing to really improve on right now.

Schitt is pretty good. From what I have read. Lots of positive feedback, so I would personally stick with it. But if you can have a listen before purchase it would be pretty cool. As for Sennheiser I would go with it or either Ultrasones. I have only heard Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD 599 and also Ultrasone HFI-580 and Pro 900i and Grado SR60 and SR80, I believe and Beyerdynamic DT770s. And some kind of AKG and Audio-Technica headphones.

Longstory short I'm on Ultrasones now :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I know next to nothing about audio equipment and need someone to tell me if this is a dumb idea and give some suggestions. I've been considering the Sennheiser hd650 headphones with either a Schiit Magni 3+ and Modi 3+ amp and DAC or their Hel 2A DAC/amp combo thingy. This would be primarily used for gaming on my PC and music every once in a while. I've got a Pulse 3d headset for my PS5 and honestly don't know how that compares to an expensive set of headphones with the accompanying equipment. I've read that the 650's aren't good for gaming because they don't do spacial audio well but again have no clue and I've also read stuff saying if their good for music their good for gaming so not sure what to think. I like the idea of open back headphones so I can still be aware of what's going on in the house. I've never thought too much about audio quality but want to give it a shot. Plus I've got the upgrade bug and audio is the only thing to really improve on right now.
Magni modi combo is great. It’s what I use. Schiit are great bang for buck. Hel is good if you need the mic input. Note that these below do not come with a mic.

Headphones you can dig some more into before buying. Lots of options to consider in the $150-300 range.

If budget isn’t a big deal, check the Sennheiser 6XX on Drop.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros are in that same price range. They have more offerings in a higher price range too.
Both brands are trustworthy and have stellar reputations for good reason.

Open back is always the way to go if your environment allows for it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
2q938srdfzja1.jpg

y0FHIzB.jpg
yLV0uOY.jpg
laKRy97.jpg

For me its a cup of coffee and some Ministry, Duran Duran, Naked Eyes, Arcadia or Buck-Tick lately in the morning :messenger_sunglasses:.

Older Buck-Tick albums have high quality masters even on YouTube compressions. I just melt hearing the electric guitars which sound exactly like you would have the artist play guitar in your room. Its insaaane. Dunno who did the masters for them, but props to the studio guy,

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Came across this website.

It's generated from this book:

I'm going to give it a go. I'll try to educate myself on the record each day. My first album is Bob Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home.

The book is up on the internet archive website btw:

Last edited:

SliChillax

I got JDS Labs Element II and Focal Clear Professional and I was thinking if I should change the JDS to something with a balanced input. I get some sound crackling in some specific bass heavy songs at very high volume (which I sometimes like to listen to). I was looking at getting the Fiio K7, anyone had any experience with it?

Yeah, so I bought SpinCare and a new stylus for my Shure cartridge...

paJ18LC.png

Also bought new ingredients for my own cleaning solution. So I should be all set to clean them records 😎.

Can't wait!

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah, so I bought SpinCare and a new stylus for my Shure cartridge...

paJ18LC.png

Also bought new ingredients for my own cleaning solution. So I should be all set to clean them records 😎.

Can't wait!
I was listening to a used copy of Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water and it really needs a cleaning. Let me know how it works out for you. I might be picking one up myself soon.

Yeah will do! For now I'm excited to change the stylus in Shure, and next month in Nagaoka.

Still waiting for the new stylus, but..

Shure performance on no-name stylus on Naked Eyes - Promises I scored this month seems spectacular, can't wait how it will play with brand new Swiss Nude Line stylus (black diamond). It should arrive some time next week.

And on Nagaoka. I like the Shure sound better on this one but this cart seems to have more sibilance than Nagaoka for sure(it appears on some of the records but not on all of them. I thought that arc protractor got rid of it bit here it is back again. Weird stuff)- to test both cartridges at 100% I should have new stylus on Nagaoka too. It has been a really long time since I started to use it and I bet its worn like hell too. Should have proper comparison next month, I bet.

But next week I will probably test the Shure cart back and forth on a new stylus :messenger_sunglasses:. Hopefully this will get rid of the sibilance because otherwise this cart seems like a keeper, a really nice sound. It has something different than Nagaoka cartridge I really like, can't describe it really well but it has the weight and has the proper amount of treble but... It's so easy to listen to it's insane. It doesn't really feel like a step down - it has such a nice signature.

Never thought that vintage cartridges could be so much fun. If new stylus will only get rid of sibilance and maybe make it a bit more musical than it already is then I'm s(h)ure I will be blown a way more than I already am :messenger_beaming:.

But I can only speculate for now- nothing is certain.

Still, I can't wait to try out the Black Diamond stylus on it.

Last edited:
Can you explain your setup a bit. Is that an aux cable from the tablet?
It probably is, not his setup as he's already explained.

But since I use my vintage audio with everything, even a PS5.

I suspect the owner of this setup uses his audio with this tablet and it probably is a quick way to stream Apple Music Lossless or Tidal- or even some YouTube vids. Without the hassle of turning on a laptop or a huge PC. Less space needed is plus, I bet.

I would probably do the same if I had a tablet with HQ audio chip in it. Not that I have one. But I had the same general idea in my head a while back.

As I have watched YouTube vids of Kenrick Sound Japan on YT- I saw them use the tablet and stream stuff on some insane looking tube amps and JBL speakers.

The thought that popped in my head while watching some of their vids was like: man, this is brilliant. So it's not really an original thought, but yeah.

If something looks stupid but it works- it isn't stupid :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

Anyways, check the Kenrick Sound YT channel those dudes are insane. As I remember it they have a stock of JBL drivers and they redo the JBL loudspeakers or are making a copies with improved crossovers and whatnot from scratch.

Saw a vid of them transporting a JBL Paragon from 1957... To a buyers house. It may have been a copy too, but a really well done one!

https://www.youtube.com/@KenrickSound/videos :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not mine. Just enjoyed the visual aesthetic. :messenger_beaming:

Ya it looks great.

I suspect the owner of this setup uses his audio with this tablet and it probably is a quick way to stream Apple Music Lossless or Tidal- or even some YouTube vids. Without the hassle of turning on a laptop or a huge PC. Less space needed is plus, I bet.

I would probably do the same if I had a tablet with HQ audio chip in it. Not that I have one. But I had the same general idea in my head a while back.

I personally use my phone or tablet and stream to a Chromecast audio connected to my Denon AV Receiver via optical for this kind of thing and let the receiver act as the DAC and amp. Chromecast also is connected by Ethernet.

Last edited:
I personally use my phone or tablet and stream to a Chromecast audio connected to my Denon AV Receiver via optical for this kind of thing and let the receiver act as the DAC and amp. Chromecast also is connected by Ethernet.
Hmm, so is it lossless or lossy?

It seems like it could be lossless since it uses Ethernet.

But it could be not, since you wrote you stream to Chromecast...

Bluetooth is still lossy, I believe I have read it only has like 256Kbps stream. That was my only concern while using BT streaming devices. So I ultimately stayed away from those because on my audio system it is really audible if you play a lossy stream.

But if it's like lossless and uses Ethernet instead I may have to read up on it more- please write something more about it, I am curious.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Hmm, so is it lossless or lossy?

It seems like it could be lossless since it uses Ethernet.

But it could be not, since you wrote you stream to Chromecast...

Bluetooth is still lossy, I believe I have read it only has like 256Kbps stream. That was my only concern while using BT streaming devices. So I ultimately stayed away from those because on my audio system it is really audible if you play a lossy stream.

But if it's like lossless and uses Ethernet instead I may have to read up on it more- please write something more about it, I am curious.

Ya its lossless it streams up to 24-bit and 96kHz. It's been discontinued for a couple years though. I bought 4 cause of that reason lol. I love them.

You do need to buy an adapter for ethernet. Wifi works well also but I always use them wired.

Last edited:
Top Bottom