• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Mit-

Picked this up over the Christmas break after being informed that all the gripes I had with BF3 in relation to BF2 had been fixed (in-game VOIP, non-rotating minimap, bigger squads/commander, etc).

I'm loving it! I'm still not majorly impressed with the majority of the maps but I haven't seen all of them yet. It's a lot of fun. It's definitely bringing back the vibes I had from BF2 (which I played A LOT). There is, however, an overwhelming amount of unlockable horseshit. I'm not a huge fan of that, but I suppose I'll eventually get all of it (well, maybe). Took me about 20 minutes to open all the fucking battlepacks from Premium. I must have over 50 XP bonus things.

I wish it didn't take 5 rockets from every handheld rocket launcher to take down tanks. I was delighted, however, to shoot an attack chopper out of the sky tonight with an RPG and a well-led shot.

Question: does anyone play any game mode other than Conquest? Are there good servers for the other game modes? Are some of them completely abandoned?

Tag is "addMitt" btw, in case I happened across anyone the past few nights.

Oh and question: Is it normal that the first sniper of the scout class is garbage ? Or I'm doing this wrong ?

Edit: and what are those battlepacks ? Everyday you get to open a few ?

Played since launch and stopped for a few months. Finally came back and after playing and reading patch notes I think the snipers got nerfed. And I have all them unlocked except the one that requires like 50 500m head shots.

They all suck for aggressive sniper styles and any bit of suppression will just make it harder compared to before. The M40? was the only one I felt was somewhat useful in my play style :( damn Dice LA.

Actually thinking about it, they were all pretty bad at long range too compared to pre April/May 2015 patch.

It's like they don't shoot straight at all. I mean yeah it's a sniper but they were pretty decent before and no it's like you're shooting with one arm when you get hit with suppression.

Picked this up over the Christmas break after being informed that all the gripes I had with BF3 in relation to BF2 had been fixed (in-game VOIP, non-rotating minimap, bigger squads/commander, etc).

I'm loving it! I'm still not majorly impressed with the majority of the maps but I haven't seen all of them yet. It's a lot of fun. It's definitely bringing back the vibes I had from BF2 (which I played A LOT). There is, however, an overwhelming amount of unlockable horseshit. I'm not a huge fan of that, but I suppose I'll eventually get all of it (well, maybe). Took me about 20 minutes to open all the fucking battlepacks from Premium. I must have over 50 XP bonus things.

I wish it didn't take 5 rockets from every handheld rocket launcher to take down tanks. I was delighted, however, to shoot an attack chopper out of the sky tonight with an RPG and a well-led shot.

Question: does anyone play any game mode other than Conquest? Are there good servers for the other game modes? Are some of them completely abandoned?

Tag is "addMitt" btw, in case I happened across anyone the past few nights.

I'm sure you know but if you hit tanks in certain locations, you'll do more damage. 2 shots right to the back will end one. And it's a sitting duck after the first shot.
But an RPG typically does ~25 damage or so. It should take 4 shots to kill with the RPG. The MBT law is ~5 shots and well.. you don't really even have to aim the thing.

And what sorts of maps do you like? China Rising is largely big spacious vehicle heavy maps (except for Guilan Peaks).

Naval Strike obviously heavily focuses on Naval Warfare. Lots of boats and choppers. A lot of island to island combat.

Dragon's Teeth is very infantry focused.

Final Stand is pretty vehicle intensive except for the Hangar map. But there's some good concentrated areas for infantry combat.

And the base maps are fairly diverse. Flood Zone, Locker, and Zavod, and Hainan Resort are very infantry heavy. Goldmud Railway and Rogue Transmission are vehicle intensive. Siege of Shanghai, Dawnbreaker are a mix.

just getting back in to this on ps4 and i have a few things

I wish Gun Master had different weapon sets for each map, it seems odd they'd restrict it to only 18 weapons when they have tons to work with

The unlock grind is still terrible and needs to be streamlined heavily in bf5

Rush maps on the Naval Strike maps are god awful. I played Nansha Strike and give the attackers a helicopter at least goddamn. I used to love Naval assault maps in battlefield, loved Isla Inocentes in BC2 and Operation Clean Sweep in Bf2 but this is a huge step down

Hearing the BF2 china theme before Dragon Valley is great

Why am I not allowed to play on official servers past 50? they usually have great connections and I hate edited rulesets

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmm... 4 C4 kills for the next Zodiac dogtag. Should be easy.

TheSeks

Cut the check.

I gotta do that later today. I haven't played the game in five months, honestly. I got burned out. :x

Plus I'm going through Assassin's Creed: Unity/Rogue, so I haven't had much time for Battlefield at the moment. Oops. I gotta knock that rust off though.

TheSeks

Got two of them in Dragon Valley Rush. But it's impossible to get them like that on 64-player Rush.
All Rush servers on PC are 64-players because the PC fanbase is full of morons. *sigh*

Might need to... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN... Metro the last two.

Got two of them in Dragon Valley Rush. But it's impossible to get them like that on 64-player Rush.
All Rush servers on PC are 64-players because the PC fanbase is full of morons. *sigh*

Might need to... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN... Metro the last two.

got 'em all the same way.

on both consoles.

super easy.

Silk Road CQ.

TheSeks

Eh, I got them all in Rush finally. On the same server. But the server quality today is... spotty. Like the latency variance is all over the damn place. :/

So, I have this reinstalled I need some BF peeps on PC to play with, I have a headset with a mic though I usually play silent.

Also, I prefer to play expansion content, I don't really like any of the base maps. Naval Strike and Final Stand are so good.

zedge

So, I have this reinstalled I need some BF peeps on PC to play with, I have a headset with a mic though I usually play silent.

Also, I prefer to play expansion content, I don't really like any of the base maps. Naval Strike and Final Stand are so good.
I recently got back into pc also. Add me on origin if you want.

StormtrooperWanb

Yes it's awful lol

TheSeks

Why? They removed all verticality. Not a good change IMO.

Because the only way to get up to those areas was ladders and elevators. Which could be easily camped for easy kills. The rooftops were problematic, it was a quick fix. I don't necessarily agree with the quickfix, but I agree that something had to be done in those regards.

Because the only way to get up to those areas was ladders and elevators. Which could be easily camped for easy kills. The rooftops were problematic, it was a quick fix. I don't necessarily agree with the quickfix, but I agree that something had to be done in those regards.

indeed. in modes with more space and less chaos, you can xm25/mortar/ucav but in TDM thats asking for death.

How active are the DLC maps on PS4? I have china rising and I'm bored to tears with the maps, as well as the vanilla maps.

Is it worth the $20 to pick up the season pass from PSN? Will I be able to play more popular modes on DLC only maps whenever I want?

Mahonay

Banned
How active are the DLC maps on PS4? I have china rising and I'm bored to tears with the maps, as well as the vanilla maps.

Is it worth the $20 to pick up the season pass from PSN? Will I be able to play more popular modes on DLC only maps whenever I want?
There are servers people are running that goes through all of the DLC. From my experience you can find people playing the DLC maps pretty much every day on PS4.

CQ you'll have 0 problems, Rush is more primetime oriented. the other modes? not so much.

TheSeks

Faceless: Don't tell me that you in your avatar.

In any case:

Battlelog said:
February 9 – February 15
Zodiac Mission: Aquarius
Jump into any Battlefield 4 multiplayer mode and map and score 5 Kills with the SMAW to get the Aquarius Dog Tag. This mission is active between February 9, 2016 9AM PT and February 15, 2016 9AM PT*.

Well hello there Locker Underground. :D

How's the framerate on the PS4 using the current build? I wasn't able to find anything recent, and I plan on getting it but if things are bad I might just skip it, I ain't installing Origin.

How's the framerate on the PS4 using the current build? I wasn't able to find anything recent, and I plan on getting it but if things are bad I might just skip it, I ain't installing Origin.

its ok but it definitely does not hold 60fps. It fluctuates between probably about 30 and 60, which isnt ideal. It really comes down to how much of a stickler you are for frame rate.

Lulu23

It's really smooth if you play something with only 32 players.

Modes with 64 players, like CQ large, run at a fluctuating framerate.
If there are enough other players, vehicles etc. in your FOV, it feels like it goes below 30fps at times, resulting in a very stuttery-feeling gameplay experience.

I don't think it actually dips below 30, so a "lock to 30fps" toggle would fix CQL.
Right now, it's unplayable for me.

My number one wish for BF5 is Battlefront's framerate.

My number one wish for BF5 is Battlefront's framerate.

Yep its kind of amazing how much better Battlefront looks and runs compared to BF4. Granted, the large game modes are shy about 20 players and the maps arent nearly as big but Im hoping they pull off some technical magic with BF5.

Lulu23

Yep its kind of amazing how much better Battlefront looks and runs compared to BF4. Granted, the large game modes are shy about 20 players and the maps arent nearly as big but Im hoping they pull off some technical magic with BF5.

Since BF4 runs very smoothly with less players and in the singleplayer, I suspect that isn't a GPU limitation.

I remember some DICE employee saying that the framerate problem originates from the fact that the Xbox One's and PS4's CPU aren't fast enough to compute all the constant map updates about players, vehicles and destruction.

(Which would perfectly explain why Battlefront both looks and runs significantly better than BF4.)

No_Style

I'd wager a guess that they also had more time to improve on things for Battlefront. For example, those Battle(non)sense videos detailed a huge net gain for the netcode since launch thanks to DICE LA and I hope the next Battlefield will yield even better improvements in all areas given even more time.

Mahonay

Banned
BF4 was most definitely rushed to hit the the PS4 launch. It was released actively on fire. The game was so fucked in so many ways. The unstable framerate is something DICE has since improved for BF4 overall, but it still loves to fluctuate wildly. Things have to be pretty calm on the map for the game to come close to a solid 60 FPS. Otherwise it drops most of the time, although it's at least playable now.

I'm hopeful with BF5 not getting pushed out the door half baked we'll see much better performance on PS4. Battlefront, even with the smaller player count, showed that DICE are very capable of getting up to a smooth 60 on console when they have the development time.

poppabk

BF4 was most definitely rushed to hit the the PS4 launch. It was released actively on fire. The game was so fucked in so many ways. The unstable framerate is something DICE has since improved for BF4 overall, but it still loves to fluctuate wildly. Things have to be pretty calm on the map for the game to come close to a solid 60 FPS. Otherwise it drops most of the time, although it's at least playable now.

I'm hopeful with BF5 not getting pushed out the door half baked we'll see much better performance on PS4. Battlefront, even with the smaller player count, showed that DICE are very capable of getting up to a smooth 60 on console when they have the development time.
Battlefield just has way more going on than battlefront, I don't think you will ever see similar performance. More players, more vehicles, and probably most important destructable environment. There are also things like water effects that are absent from battlefront. It's a lot more complex a game.

How is the framerate on the Community map and Dragon Valley on the PS4? I'd like to come back and play them but I've been spoiled by the perfect framerate of Battlefront that I can't stand drops anymore.

Lulu23

How is the framerate on the Community map and Dragon Valley on the PS4? I'd like to come back and play them but I've been spoiled by the perfect framerate of Battlefront that I can't stand drops anymore.

A little better than on older maps, but still very unstable when playing with 64 players.
I'm pretty sensitive to a fluctuating framerate though.

No_Style

Very poor. I tried it with 64 players when it launched and it was probably the worst compared to the maps in the base game. I admit, I haven't played the base game's maps in a long time but I recall them being better than Dragon Valley.

TheSeks

I'm not surprised Dragon Valley runs like ass on PS4. The PC "beta"/CTE version ran like ass from the get-go. I didn't expect much, but damn: They didn't optimize it for release at all? :/

In other news: DICE-SE is doing a beta for Mirror's Edge 2 finally. Hopefully it'll be a showcase of Frostbite 3 wayyy more optimized for release.

Dr Prob

Banned
Randomly clicking through some bookmarks:

Wolf People - Village Strollin'

gSLoqUu.gif

WillyFive

How's the community on PC? Are there frequent encounters with hackers? Haven't found any recent threads on it so I'd assume it isn't rampant.

I haven't seen any hackers (although considering pretty much everybody logging into a server is so much better than me, I couldn't even tell the difference if I did find one).

Syder

Just come back to this game for the first time in 18 months. Completely forgotten which guns are good and which are trash. Can anyone point me to an up to date guide for the best guns in each class?

Top Bottom