• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Just come back to this game for the first time in 18 months. Completely forgotten which guns are good and which are trash. Can anyone point me to an up to date guide for the best guns in each class?

I started playing BF 4 last December so maybe i´m still a noob but anyway, Level 45 now and for the Assault class i can recommend the AUG , Engineer would be the PP-2000, Support the TYPE 88 LMG with the 3.4x zoom optics (200 Round magazines, YEAH! ) and for the Sniper class my choice is the M40A5 , still have a lot of weapons to unlock though.

Anyone interested in playing BF 4 more or less active on the PS4 ? I´m looking for good team players, i myself am always very squad orientated and take good care of my squad members :D
German speaking by the way, but i´m also able to speak the "Schwarzenegger"-Style english !

Mahonay

Banned
Just come back to this game for the first time in 18 months. Completely forgotten which guns are good and which are trash. Can anyone point me to an up to date guide for the best guns in each class?
I only ever play support and engineer.

The MG4 light machine gun for the support class is pretty god damn awesome IMO. 200 bullets in a magazine and the repoil pattern isn't too hard to figure out. I find it to be an easier LMG to run and gun with. My play style is such that I never just lay down in one spot with a bipod. I pair it with a stubby grub, laser sight, and Kobra RDS. Great gun for dealing with a large concentration of enemies. People often get overwhelmed with the nonstop stream of bullets coming there way. Just keep the trigger held down and do your best Rambo impersonation.

For engineer I go with the ACE 53 SV DMR. I've got an angled grip and Kobra RDS equipped onto it. Drops people quickly and has easily controllable recoil over distance. If you're accurate with headshots it's perfect for bigger vehicle based maps.

Apparently there's faster 45hz servers on PS4 now but only for 32 players or less? How the hell will I know which one's which and if I'm in said server?

Syder

I started playing BF 4 last December so maybe i´m still a noob but anyway, Level 45 now and for the Assault class i can recommend the AUG , Engineer would be the PP-2000, Support the TYPE 88 LMG with the 3.4x zoom optics (200 Round magazines, YEAH! ) and for the Sniper class my choice is the M40A5 , still have a lot of weapons to unlock though.

Anyone interested in playing BF 4 more or less active on the PS4 ? I´m looking for good team players, i myself am always very squad orientated and take good care of my squad members :D
German speaking by the way, but i´m also able to speak the "Schwarzenegger"-Style english !

I only ever play support and engineer.

The MG4 light machine gun for the support class is pretty god damn awesome IMO. 200 bullets in a magazine and the repoil pattern isn't too hard to figure out. I find it to be an easier LMG to run and gun with. My play style is such that I never just lay down in one spot with a bipod. I pair it with a stubby grub, laser sight, and Kobra RDS. Great gun for dealing with a large concentration of enemies. People often get overwhelmed with the nonstop stream of bullets coming there way. Just keep the trigger held down and do your best Rambo impersonation.

For engineer I go with the ACE 53 SV DMR. I've got an angled grip and Kobra RDS equipped onto it. Drops people quickly and has easily controllable recoil over distance. If you're accurate with headshots it's perfect for bigger vehicle based maps.
Just unlocked the Bulldog and.. Oh my God, this weapon is pretty strong. I looked at the stats and it didn't seem like anything special but after a little while I just seemed to be destroying with it. It's just the way it recoils if you're aiming centre mass it always seems to just kick up and get a headshot.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Apparently there's faster 45hz servers on PS4 now but only for 32 players or less? How the hell will I know which one's which and if I'm in said server?

It should say on the loading screen near a "engine" like icon on the bottom left 30Hz or 45Hz. Additionally if the server browser has space, they'll have it under the server name in the information description for mode/map.

All the Carrier Assault servers are dead on PC.

DEAD.

Because the mode sucks. Bringing back Titan mode to do... that to it.

Just unlocked the Bulldog and.. Oh my God, this weapon is pretty strong. I looked at the stats and it didn't seem like anything special but after a little while I just seemed to be destroying with it. It's just the way it recoils if you're aiming centre mass it always seems to just kick up and get a headshot.

That's because the Bulldog vomits ammo due to it's RoF. If it didn't give you a kill at the end of it's magazine, well... that's kinda on you.

High RoF guns are what most everyone uses, but honestly I say go with whatever you feel comfortable with. I use unconventional stuff like the MG36C despite it's lower RoF because it "feels" good to me. Recoil, hip-fire, ADS, etc. all have to "feel" for your preferences.

Frenden

Banned
I just picked this up--I played a lot of BC2, but skipped BF3.

Is there an equivalent to the Bad Company 2's Sniper SVU kit? I liked to be a mobile assault wookie pooping out motion sensors and engaging at midrange with a two-to-three tap quick kill with a semi-auto rifle. Is that a valid play style here?

I just unlocked DMRs, and I'm wondering if that's the path/tree I should bark down.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Is there an equivalent to the Bad Company 2's Sniper SVU kit? I liked to be a mobile assault wookie pooping out motion sensors and engaging at midrange with a two-to-three tap quick kill with a semi-auto rifle. Is that a valid play style here?

I just unlocked DMRs, and I'm wondering if that's the path/tree I should bark down.

Pretty much.

All DMR's are 3 shot kills I believe.

ThisOne

I find the DMRs to be pretty shitty. Rarely wish I had one over an automatic gun. My playstyle is a little more run and gun than most but I also find the recoil on the DMRs hard to manage quickly enough to get kills consistently.

Frenden

Banned
Yeah. You nailed it. They didn't have the movement penalty to accuracy in BFBC2 that they do here.

You have to be pretty stationary with them which seems a weird tradeoff. I stopped using them after a bit and accepted my BFBC2 play style probably won't carry over here. I'm finding ARs a lot more consistent and viable for medium to long range kills than I remembered. I'm making that work for me.

Frenden

Banned
I have a friend I play with who uses them almost exclusively and he does pretty well. I could never figure them out though.

You seem to need to a) really give the recoil a chance to reset before taking a follow up and b) not fire while moving. The movement accuracy penalty is huge.

I used them in a very mobile playstyle, so they won't work the same for me. They're not total trash and I could see a slightly more stationary play style use them fine.

But I'm using ARs now.

Kabuto

I find the DMRs to be pretty shitty. Rarely wish I had one over an automatic gun. My playstyle is a little more run and gun than most but I also find the recoil on the DMRs hard to manage quickly enough to get kills consistently.

I'm mastering DMRs right now (getting 500 kills with them) so I've been exclusively using them the past month or so. They're basically only good at medium range so you have to change your playstyle a little bit. I'm the run and gun type myself, but now I have to kind of play a campy style that gets kills at that range. It's still fun but not as satisfying as running around with an AR. I still try to play an aggressive playstyle as much as I can and the one thing they have over ARs is that killing players running from flag to flag is way easier.

By the way, I just mastered the MK11 MOD 0 this week and it is honestly a great gun.

Frenden

Banned
I'm mastering DMRs right now (getting 500 kills with them) so I've been exclusively using them the past month or so. They're basically only good at medium range so you have to change your playstyle a little bit. I'm the run and gun type myself, but now I have to kind of play a campy style that gets kills at that range. It's still fun but not as satisfying as running around with an AR. I still try to play an aggressive playstyle as much as I can and the one thing they have over ARs is that killing players running from flag to flag is way easier.

By the way, I just mastered the MK11 MOD 0 this week and it is honestly a great gun.

I haven't put as much time in as you, but I think I'm coming to the same conclusions.

They felt soooo much different in BFBC2.

poppabk

Not really. The motion sensor and T-UGS are poor replacements for the BC2 motion sensor, and the DMR's are not as versatile as the SVU. You can still play like that, but don't expect to be as effective.

terrible

Banned
You'll get outgunned by pretty much anything if you're using a DMR against someone of equal skill. The only time you'll catch me using one is when I just want to goof around.

Mahonay

Banned
DMR's are highly underrated for their use in firefights between adjacent flag points. A very medium range fight. I almost always equip my ACE 53 SV in those situations. If you're accurate with headshots you'll drop a lot of enemies running to either objective. It's super easy pickings. The ACE 53 SV is third on my list of weapon kills with 8,700.

When I get into closer range fighting on flag points I'll switch to my MG4 light machine gun.

I never sit back and snipe, so long distance is not really a considerations for me. I've gotten good enough with the ACE 53 SV that I can counter snipe with it if I have to.

That said, I play on PS4 with a gamepad. On PC I can see DMR's being way less useful, since with a keyboard and mouse it's much easier to be very accurate with other much stronger weapons.

TheSeks

Not really. The motion sensor and T-UGS are poor replacements for the BC2 motion sensor,

Agree about the motion mines here compared to BC2. If only because the mini-map doesn't let you know where they hit/activate.

Disagree strongly with the T-ugs being useless. It's wayyyyy better than the motion mines if you're playing defense or setting up traps/camping sites. It's ALWAYS active compared to BC2's motion mines... 30 seconds? 60 seconds? You don't have to rethrow, you don't have to resupply (you can pick it up) and you can put it on another floor above/below you and get an idea if someone is coming into the building after you.

That said, I play on PS4 with a gamepad. On PC I can see DMR's being way less useful, since with a keyboard and mouse it's much easier to be very accurate with other much stronger weapons.

It's not really a matter of keyboard/mouse vs controller. It's a matter of the damage of the DMR's being pretty weak compared to faster RoF weapons no matter the platform. You can outsnipe a DMR with a bipod LMG if you're really good at controlling you spray and do more damage than the DMR can do while it's having to battle it's recoil. They essentially nerfed the DMR's from semi-auto snipers like they were in BC2/BF3 into being pointless.

Mahonay

Banned
*shrug* Even if DMRs are statistically worse than other options, the accuracy I'm able to get with them personally makes them very handy in mid to mid long range battles. And I've gotten really good at spam firing when anyone gets up close to me. I think it's the sort of deal where I've put enough hours in with them, I'm just able to drop people with headshots at distance easier than any other weapon. I get good results and that's what matters to me. My most used weapon, the MG4, is clearly a better weapon, but I really struggle using it at mid-long ranges.

TheSeks

Eh, if you're effective with them. More power to you. But they changed them for the worst in many peoples opinion. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded them to have kept them as semi-auto snipers a la BF3. I honestly had no issues with them there compared to people complaining about the constant "PESHEW PESHEW" from them in BF4. *shrug*

Plus IMO they fucked with the recoil of the SKS for the worst.

ThisOne

So how do you redeem the community challenges for battle packs? I just got like 15 kills with that sniper rifle but no battle pack. Seems like sometimes they've automatically popped for me. Website mentions redeeming it on the community page but I'm not sure where or what that is.

TheSeks

So how do you redeem the community challenges for battle packs? I just got like 15 kills with that sniper rifle but no battle pack. Seems like sometimes they've automatically popped for me. Website mentions redeeming it on the community page but I'm not sure where or what that is.

Multiplayer->Community Challenge at Battlelog.

Same for the dogtags when they run those events.

Facism

having problems playing the game. Pick a server on battlelog, game doesn't even attempt to load. Been doing this for months now but couldn't give a shit in the past because i didn't have the time.

WillyFive

having problems playing the game. Pick a server on battlelog, game doesn't even attempt to load. Been doing this for months now but couldn't give a shit in the past because i didn't have the time.

It happens from time to time for me; I fix it by force quitting Origin and opening it up again.

Facism

It happens from time to time for me; I fix it by force quitting Origin and opening it up again.

Ended up having to set every .exe in the battlefield folder to run as admin and opting into Origin Beta. Not an either/or situation, had to be both of those for the game to even load past selecting a server.

TheSeks

Ended up having to set every .exe in the battlefield folder to run as admin and opting into Origin Beta. Not an either/or situation, had to be both of those for the game to even load past selecting a server.

Wow, WTF. I generally killed the process and restarted and it worked.

In any case, logged into Battlelog hoping to see the March series of stuff (for the last Zodiac dogtag) and who is "paulj" that is asking to join the platoon? People, if you ask you gotta speak up in this thread so I know who/what is wanting to join and can at least see it since I don't have Battlelog popped open 24/7.

Also next BF release someone else is handling this shit. I don't care about the Platoon function in Battlelog at all.

TheSeks

DICE-LA said:
March 8 – March 14
Zodiac Mission: Pisces
Here it is: the final Zodiac Dog Tag. If you want it, jump into any Battlefield 4 multiplayer mode and map and score 12 Kills with AK-12 to get the Pisces Dog Tag. This mission is active between March 8, 2016 9AM PT and March 14, 2016 9AM PT*.

Thank fuck. Last one to get and then I can put the game to bed in a way.

Talents

Banned
So me and a few friends have just started playing but we can't figure out how to use all the xp boosts we've got. Apparently you press ESC in game and it's in the bottom right corner, but it just says " No Boosts". Is there anotehr way to use them?

Mahonay

Banned
So me and a few friends have just started playing but we can't figure out how to use all the xp boosts we've got. Apparently you press ESC in game and it's in the bottom right corner, but it just says " No Boosts". Is there anotehr way to use them?
You have to open up your battlepacks first which you should be able to find in your Battlelog.

Mahonay

Banned
We have. We had like 30 something battlepacks and we opened them all, it's just showing as No boosts.
In that case there should be something right under where it says no boosts where you can select one to use. Or try clicking right on it?

I'm on PS4 and on there you highlight it and then you can choose a boost to use.

Is there seriously no double xp event in the pipeline for march? I still need to grind out the last few dmrs and handguns and it's driving me mad.

Top Bottom