• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard was totally off my radar before this gen, but now I love them

Corsick

Nope. Blizzard is currently better than they've ever been.

Well, SC 2 was a ghost of the quality that was Brood War, and Diablo 3 took multiple years just to become decent. Hearthstone is fine, not really interested. WoW is the current standout from a quality perspective, and Overwatch is a well polished arena shooter that lacks the variety of TF 2. Overwatch games have a very similar feeling every match that's hard to put my finger on. HOTS is whatever, harmless and forgettable. Nothing wrong with it though. Blizzard is more about incremental improvements over time with their franchises now, I doubt we'll ever see them take a franchise forward the same way they did Diablo 1 to 2. Then again, my standards are relatively high. So I always assume I'll be in the huge minority.

OneUh8

Blizzards doing really well nowadays but imo they were at the height of their greatness in the early 2000s.

Starcraft Brood War
Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction
Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne

The holy trinity 🔥 🔥 🔥

Yep. My favs from them and it's not close.

Zackat

If Blizzard ever makes a fighting game I would be set for the foreseeable future

In fact, that is probably my most desired game

They peaked many moons ago but they are still a fantastic company that produces fantastic and polished games IMO.

Still my favourite games company.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Overwatch is my first ever blizzard game. I don't care about any of their other franchises but this got them on my radar.

GamerJM

Banned
My association between old Blizzard and PC gaming was honestly part of what put my off of PC gaming as a kid since I just couldn't get into WC3/SC at all. I recently tried Overwatch and it wasn't my bag either, though obviously for entirely different reasons.

m_dorian

Legion was great upo to a point.
D3 is boring and soulless game.
I am not much into MP Shooters, Moba's and card games so Blizzard's catalogue is not for me.

However i know that i will end up playing WoW's next expansion.

leroidys

Kinda the opposite for me.

Loved their previous work, but the last three WoW expansions (minus Legion), HotS, Hearthstone, Diablo III at launch, and Overwatch lost me.

Although very recently I've turned a little bit.
Same here. Wasn't very hot on SC2 either.

night814

Loved them since Justice league Task Force, it was a slow fighting game but looked outstanding. Every character looked escatly as they did in the comics at the time

If Blizzard ever makes a fighting game I would be set for the foreseeable future

In fact, that is probably my most desired game
Game exhists, it's on the SNES and Genesis

I got into Hearthstone when the open beta happened. That was the first time I really got into a Blizzard thing. Played that pretty good for a few months and then fell off.

Then when Overwatch got revealed at Blizzcon 2014, I fell in love with that game's concept after seeing that first trailer, kept a close eye on it, and a year later got into the closed beta, around the time of Blizzcon 2015.

From there I've played a ton of Overwatch, and that's still the only Blizzard game I really care about, but I'll probably buy a Blizzcon pass for the 2nd year in a row to watch the Overwatch panels and buy stuff from their store. Thanks to their dumb crossover events I played a lot of HotS and now I want to play through Starcraft 2.

I guess that's how they get you.

HeatBoost

I'm still kind of shocked that they bothered to make an action game, and it ended up as good as it did. They seemed to be sooo conservative with sticking to their top down isometric babies for so long.

Hope that if they make another new series or IP it's something totally different too. Maybe Starcraft will get a Warcraft-esque genre shift at some point. Maybe a co-op mission based vehicle shooter? Something like Destiny, except good? I bet Bungie would start sweating bullets if that happened.

Fancolors

I'm still kind of shocked that they bothered to make an action game, and it ended up as good as it did. They seemed to be sooo conservative with sticking to their top down isometric babies for so long.

Hope that if they make another new series or IP it's something totally different too. Maybe Starcraft will get a Warcraft-esque genre shift at some point. Maybe a co-op mission based vehicle shooter? Something like Destiny, except good? I bet Bungie would start sweating bullets if that happened.

What would be the point of making another Destiny if they already have it coming to their launcher

Still a great dev but imo they are on a slow downward trend over the last 5 or so years.

Golden era Blizz would never have a card game with as terrible balance and as weak community outreach as Hearthstone, would never have split SC2 into three, would never have released D3 with a real money auction house in the first place etc. etc.

Starting to worry that on their current trajectory they could really fall from grace. As it stands they are just barely maintaining their legendary status through production values whilst a lot of the other components of their games suffer.

Funny, I am about the opposite. I give Blizzard credit for coming in to new genres and staking major claims in the industry, but Blizzard has unfortunately become completely irrelevant to me now. They haven't released a game I think is "great" since WC3. I don't have any hope they will ever return to their golden years for my interests.

spekkeh

Banned
Blizzard became shit when they merged with Activision tbh
giphy.gif

KKRT00

Blizzard became even more mainstream friendly, so yeah most console audience should dig most of their games.

Definitely if you at it, check other great PC games, you should like them too :)

----
How can anyone even begin to or imply that Blizzard sucks in any form or time frame. They are one of the best developers of ALL TIME. I think only Nintendo rivals their success, and even then, their hit rate for producing critical and commercial hits is not on the same level as Blizzard. EVERYTHING they've done has been atleast good and most have been great.

Overwatch -> Best Arena Shooter of All Time
StarCraft -> Best RTS of All Time
Diablo -> Best Dungeon Crawler of All Time
WOW -> Best MMO of All Time
WarCraft -> Best RTS until Starcraft hit
HeartStone -> Best Online Card Game thingy of All Time

... Heard their DOTA type game is good too, but I never got into that Genre and heard there are some competitors that are possibly better.
Lol no.

I mean most of those games are good, great or awesome, but not best in the genre.

The same thing happens to me with console-only developers. I don't play on consoles and the only reason I had even heard of stuff like Persona was because I joined this forum. Every gamer has blindspots like that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
They need to make a SP game as awesome as WC3 for me to love them again. An although I really got into WoW vanilla and Diablo 2, that shit is unhealthy.

Won

Modern Blizzard remains the "Anti-Blizzard" to me. But then again I have vastly different preferences than most of GAF obviously.

You should really get Warcraft 3. Frozen Throne remains one of the greatest RTS campaign ever.

Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo are wholly unappealing, and Heroes of the Storm is bottom of the barrel gaming to me. I did get a few weeks of entertainment out of Hearthstone, and I love Lost Vikings and Overwatch.

Risible

Blizzard became shit when they merged with Activision tbh

Same. Was a huge Blizzard fan. Diablo 3 and the money grab that it was with the game tailored to the real money auction house totally soured me on the company.

Now their games all seem to be huge skinner boxes whose main function is to pry money from you.

Pocketsfriend

Neo Member
Their current line up doesn't really grab me as much as the early 00s Blizzard but I'm still in their ecosystem of games. I really want another RTS from them but I'm pretty sure it'll end up having loot boxes at this point.

I never played their games until overwatch came out, also heroes of the storm is rather fun.

I forgot that I owned diablo 1 and 2 on pc but no idea where my discs went.

Coxy100

Banned
One of my favourite developers

The last vikings was great fun
Starcraft is my favourite game ever
Warcraft 2 and 3 were incredible
Starcraft 2 was great fun

Played the free weekend of Overwatch - I can see why people like that

OBias

This is somewhat ironic, as a lot of old-time Blizzard fans I know think that the quality of the company's games declined severely sometime after Burning Crusade.

Bold One

I like Blizzard, I don't love them.

ALL their games seem to designed with several hooks in them - is this bad or good, I don't know but I have seen WoW destroy lives.

Lanrutcon

Blows my mind that there are folks who are like "Oh, hey. Just noticed Blizzard because of Overwatch" when they've been doing amazing work for over 20 years. You have some catching up to do.

Artdayne

WoW is one of my favorite games of all-time but they absolutely destroyed a lot of the class design that made WoW great by making everything as easy as possible to play.

KLoWn

This is somewhat ironic, as a lot of old-time Blizzard fans I know think that the quality of the company's games declined severely sometime after Burning Crusade.
That's just nostalgia.

In 10-15 years people will say the same thing about the new Blizzard titles while reminiscing how good Overwatch and the other, at that time, current Blizzard games were.

3. The simplicity of a lot of their titles can make them shallow to experienced players. Diablo 3 seems very dumbed-down compared to other contemporaries but the presentation and gameplay loops are top-notch. The same could be said of Overwatch and (from what I've read) Heroes of the Storm. Skill rarely shines as brightly in their games which likely explains some of their issues breaking into the competitive gaming scene on a massive scale despite repeated attempts.

Flat-out false, both Overwatch and SC2 have incredibly high skill ceilings.

Overwatch is particularly interesting because of the brilliance of the character design on an arena shooter. Characters like Reinhardt, Winston in the same fighting arena as Soldier76 or Tracer... the recent meta has been incredible to watch and the team and individual skill ceiling is insane.

A lot of people have this giant elitist chip on their shoulder about games like DotA or Quake 3 and I find it amusing because they really live in their own limited bubble where air-movement in Quake is the greatest pinnacle of gaming ever achieved, and therefore everything else is "lol scrub tier for n00bs".

Top Bottom