• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

ruvikx

Banned
Except you don't get to tell people what influences them. Who the hell do you think you are? The God of Human thought?

Right. I guess Narnia should be classified as a defining moment in western culture. Find me a wardrobe with a magic passageway because it's as real as Wakanda.

Okay this was NOT the quote I was talking about. I do agree that this is a stupidly dumb quote from her. It's weird to say a movie wasn't made for a 40-year white man to like.

We definitely agree there.

I actually admire what she did, just not what she said, as I said on page one of this thread. Good idea to reach out to interviewers from smaller sites that get overlooked, good idea to get people of different social and ethnic backgrounds to ask you about your movie, bad idea to frame it all as "fewer white males, please." I honestly don't understand why so many people feel the need to be divisive when working towards inclusion.

Paracelsus

I wasn't expecting 83 RT, more like 98-100 with a doxxing system for the sub 100% reviews.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We definitely agree there.

I actually admire what she did, just not what she said, as I said on page one of this thread. Good idea to reach out to interviewers from smaller sites that get overlooked, good idea to get people of different social and ethnic backgrounds to ask you about your movie, bad idea to frame it all as "fewer white males, please." I honestly don't understand why so many people feel the need to be divisive when working towards inclusion.

It's possible that she doesn't see it as being divisive. I'm hoping through this process she understands that she has to care how white men feel if she wants to create the change that she's looking for. White men don't have to come first, but at least run things through a filter before you just say things.

McCheese

Seeing a lot of 3 / 5 certified fresh reviews for this, opposed to 3 / 5 rotten movies for Alita. I know writers can go in and ask them to change it, but they should at least be consistent.

LMJ

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered , not many little girls wanted to be Ripley, but millions of them thought Leia was an awesome female role model...

As they grew they likely started to appreciate Ripley, Sarah Conner and other badass females though...

Seems the film is trash tier. Being trashed by I'm with her soy boys too:

‘Captain Marvel’ Review: A Massively Disappointing Introduction to Carol Danvers

Brie Larson has all the right stuff, but she can't save this generic Avengers prequel from being among the most disappointing Marvel movies.

For a film that’s almost completely incoherent for most of its first act — and seldom finds its footing after that — “Captain Marvel” is rather clear about its one big idea. Jude Law, playing an alien military commander named Yon-Rogg, mansplains it to his promising female protege as they spar during the opening scene. “There’s nothing more dangerous to a warrior than emotion,” he barks at Vers (Brie Larson). “You have to let go of the part of yourself that makes you vulnerable.” He’s Morpheus, she’s Neo, and this is the dojo fight from “The Matrix” if it were less visceral and more explicitly gendered.

https://web.archive.org/web/2019030...com/2019/03/captain-marvel-review-1202048795/

Poor reception in France:

The first Captain Marvel review lands online as the movie has been released in France, and it is not good for Disney, Marvel Studios, Kevin Feige, Brie Larson or the future of the MCU.

The French website Avoir Alire has posted their Captain Marvel review giving it one out of five stars noting (translated via Bing), "A monolithic heroine whose feminist struggle seems to be the only reason to exist. The result, without emotion, is closer to the silliness of a shortcut in time than a traditional Avenger."

The review (again translated) goes on to mention how the titular character makes it clear she doesn't need the help of men, with Brie Larson's acting said to be cold and compared to that of an android. It's said Larson doesn't manage the slightest of an iconic pose, and that she is not sexy in the costume: "since the game of seduction is sexist and therefore irrelevant in the film."

It's also said Captain Marvel's big "Superman" moment when she first flies is lacking and that Brie Larson and her powers "leave us totally cold."

The reviewer goes on to note that the film is heavily influenced by "societal transition" which first showed up in Hollywood, including scandals such as the Harvey Weinstein affair. "Everything is written to signify the need for emancipation of the woman in a patriarchal world," the Captain Marvel review states.
https://cosmicbook-news.cdn.ampproj...arvel-review-cold-disappointment-unworthy?amp

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they should have come out with a Black Widow solo pic. they didn't because they didn't think the action figures would sell. plenty of people wanted it, ScarJo was a huge hit with all audiences, but the money counters decided no.

now there are 20 Marvel movies, none of them centered on a woman. suddenly this movie comes out. the 21st film. for a character nobody has heard of. they want people to celebrate the fact that they shot down a woman-led film until it was absolutely 100% profitable to market.

people are a lot smarter than these companies give them credit for. slapping together "A H E R O" and pretending to be uber woke just feels lame and trendy. people are tired of being manipulated, i can't fault them for wanting to manipulate back. from what it sounds like, the movie isn't that good either, which just means they will double down on this. it's gonna get bumpy.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I legit have seen 2/4 being fresh on one review and rotten on another. I have zero clue how their system works.
It's which movie has a marketing team that has a better relationship with rotten tomatoes owners, who are Warner Bros.

At the end of the day, money influences the backend of that website

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
How pathetic. I'm shocked a man would admit to thinking like that on Twitter, in public. It's a movie you coward

Indeed - it's actually something of an admission that if a film is 'woke' reviewers are afraid to mark it down, which means that they're almost certainly getting inflated scores. Personally if I'm picking sides between incels (and to be clear the framing of those who don't enjoy being preached at as incels is unhelpful and intellectually dishonest) and a mega corporation with a dubious history, I'd bat for the incels.

Typhares

How does Rotten Tomatoes work again? Cause 2/4 and C ratings are counted as fresh which I find a bit weird. Anything above average is fresh?

seeing mckmas8808 flip out pleases me because he doesnt have a good argument. at least nobody_important tried to have one failed but still tried. homboi here is now flipping out and i love it

they should have come out with a Black Widow solo pic. they didn't because they didn't think the action figures would sell. plenty of people wanted it, ScarJo was a huge hit with all audiences, but the money counters decided no.

no one wanted it

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Pretty interesting gambit if this is true.
Given the spiderrman civil war add-on, I'm going to lean to believing it.
I'm sure Marvel knows Endgame is going to make huge bank and probably want to keep it that way. Spending a bit more cash is probably a good insurance policy.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Here's Time Magazine's review. A small shoutout goes to the reviewer who in all her "wisdom" (emphasis on the inverted commas right there) claims Rotten Tomatoes trolls were reviewing the film on RT before release, whilst later in the same paragraph insinuates those "trolls" cannot read: http://time.com/5543991/captain-marvel-review/

Captain Marvel
is acceptably entertaining, and already it has gotten the kind of inadvertent advance marketing a studio—in this case, Disney—can only hope for. Weeks before its release, Larson’s portrayal of Captain Marvel was attacked by trolls on Rotten Tomatoes who hadn’t even seen the movie. (Their dumb-ass vitriol prompted Rotten Tomatoes to remove, for the first time, the option for users to rate a movie before they’ve even seen it—which doesn’t answer the question of why anyone should ever be allowed to rate a movie he hasn’t seen, but whatever.) When the trailer was released, last fall, similar dudes—or maybe the exact same dudes—complained that Larson’s Captain Marvel didn’t smile enough. That right there is plenty to get you on Captain Marvel’s side automatically, unless you’re a Rotten Tomatoes troll yourself, in which case you probably haven’t read this far—but if you have, congratulations, and welcome to the world of actual reading!

So a pro reviewer who was literally too stupid (or dishonest) to realize the RT pre-release percentage wasn't based upon actual reviews ("want to see" isn't a freaking review or rating) subsequently pretends she's super-duper smart & can "read" (unlike her RT troll bogeymen). Epic. The ultimate irony here being Stephanie Zacharek didn't even like the movie & her real review stands at 40/100 on the metascore.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I don't believe it.
The Civil War / Spider-Man thing makes sense as it was all about licensing and Marvel Studios weren't 100% if they'd secure it

Grinchy

Banned
I legit have seen 2/4 being fresh on one review and rotten on another. I have zero clue how their system works.
I think the reviewer can go in and declare that their review is supposed to be either a fresh or rotten. And if they don't contact the site to do that, the site gets to choose.

Supposedly it's chosen based on something, but since they won't say that that is, we can pretty safely assume that they just choose what they want to choose. The site makes no sense as a review aggregator and I don't know why it became popular in the first place.

fantomena

It is also helping that this is the only new movie in this week in tons of cinemas.

And? That doesn't remove the fact that a ton of people either doesn't give a shit or don't know about about the controversy and and just want to watch the damn movie.

Last edited:
I don’t think an MCU film will ever truly bomb. Expecting a legit bomb was unrealistic, imo

I’m totally accepting that some reviewers are giving it artificially high scores, but I also accept that it also receives unwarranted trash scores from the other side as well. It’s like anything political, in general, the truth is somewhere in the middle

sol_bad

It is also helping that this is the only new movie in this week in tons of cinemas.

So you're saying that every screen in a cinema is dedicated to Captain Marvel? Can you link me to some American cinema chains?

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
So your saying that every screen in a cinema is dedicated to Captain Marvel? Can you link me to some American cinema chains?

That's not what he said.
He is saying that is a new release, and there aren't others, in some locations.
As in, there aren't other options for, say, people who might go weekly and want something new.

sol_bad

That's not what he said.
He is saying that is a new release, and there aren't others, in some locations.
As in, there aren't other options for, say, people who might go weekly and want something new.

What do you mean by other options? Other new movies available on the same day as Captain Marvel?

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure that's what the words Dunki and I used mean.
I'm not sure how you're reading something else into them.

kunonabi

Remember Solo was also supposed to be a record breaking mega hit according to fandango presales. I'm sure Marvel will be a huge hit but you cant take fandango as gospel.

Remember Solo was also supposed to be a record breaking mega hit according to fandango presales. I'm sure Marvel will be a huge hit but you cant take fandango as gospel.

Yeah I don’t think it’s gonna break any records. If it gets anywhere near Wonder Woman I’ll be impressed. I just don’t think it’s gonna bomb whatsoever

sol_bad

Pretty sure that's what the words Dunki and I used mean.
I'm not sure how you're reading something else into them.

That's pretty normal during big blockbusters. Competing studios always try and avoid the big hitters like MCU, DC, Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, Fast and Furious etc. I don't know why you would even mention that fact.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty normal during big blockbusters. Competing studios always try and avoid the big hitters like MCU, DC, Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, Fast and Furious etc. I don't know why you would even mention that fact.

No, again, that's not what the original comment was.
He's talking about not having any new movies as competition for the week.

Dunki

Also another interesting point is that all great reviews talking about how feminist this movie is^^
While the more decent or bad reviews are only about the movie itself^^

mckmas8808

It's which movie has a marketing team that has a better relationship with rotten tomatoes owners, who are Warner Bros.

At the end of the day, money influences the backend of that website

Oh really? This is the place we are going now?

I would agree JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered

I'm 100% with #Phonepunk# #Phonepunk# on this one we deserve a black widow movie and we never got one...for shame Marvel for shame, don't let this movie's failures scare you, give us a Black Widow movie we deserve it:messenger_beaming:

A failure? What has deemed this movie a failure?

Indeed - it's actually something of an admission that if a film is 'woke' reviewers are afraid to mark it down, which means that they're almost certainly getting inflated scores. Personally if I'm picking sides between incels (and to be clear the framing of those who don't enjoy being preached at as incels is unhelpful and intellectually dishonest) and a mega corporation with a dubious history, I'd bat for the incels.

Evidence please........? Like are some of you guys so upset that this movie isn't getting bombed by the press, that you have to invent made up reasons to explain away why it's really a failure?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Evidence please........? Like are some of you guys so upset that this movie isn't getting bombed by the press, that you have to invent made up reasons to explain away why it's really a failure?

*sigh* you didn't read the post I replied to did you. Honestly though prior experience tells me that you just see things through your lens and aren't capable of seeing what's right in front of you so shall we just skip the bit where I present evidence and you ignore it and go straight to calling each other cunts? It'll save us a lot of time. I find you tiring (and note I'm not generalising about people, I mean you - you are impossible to debate with because certain parts of your belief structures are semi-religious - the problem is that one cannot argue with you that those core beliefs are false due to that religious belief, so any argument becomes a waste of everybody's time).

Last edited by a moderator:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, maybe I am just dumb. But can you clarify exactly what you mean?

Seeing how Dunki liked my first post in this chain, I'm going to assume my interpretation of his statement is right.

So, the point we're trying to make is that the ticket sales are helped a bit by there being no new movies showing this week, in some locations.
Some people like going to the movies weekly. Some like to watch something new when they do.
So without other new movies to watch, they'll watch this.

To what extent that's true or not, who knows.
But that was the point being made.

I hope that's cleared it up :)

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh* you didn't read the post I replied to did you. Honestly though prior experience tells me that you just see things through your lens and aren't capable of seeing what's right in front of you so shall we just skip the bit where I present evidence and you ignore it and go straight to calling each other cunts? It'll save us a lot of time.

It's a very ironic avatar he has, don't you think?

mckmas8808

And? That doesn't remove the fact that a ton of people either doesn't give a shit or don't know about about the controversy and and just want to watch the damn movie.

This is what I think is happening. There's probably like 10% of the potential moviegoers that even heard of the "controversy".

Yeah I don’t think it’s gonna break any records. If it gets anywhere near Wonder Woman I’ll be impressed. I just don’t think it’s gonna bomb whatsoever

Do you mean WW's first weekend numbers ($103 Million) or overall ($800 Million)?

*sigh* you didn't read the post I replied to did you. Honestly though prior experience tells me that you just see things through your lens and aren't capable of seeing what's right in front of you so shall we just skip the bit where I present evidence and you ignore it and go straight to calling each other cunts? It'll save us a lot of time. I find you tiring (and note I'm not generalising about people, I mean you - you are impossible to debate with because certain parts of your belief structures are semi-religious - the problem is that one cannot argue with you that those core beliefs are false due to that religious belief, so any argument becomes a waste of everybody's time).

I've never called you a cunt or anything close to that. What belief am I married to exactly? There's clearly people here that believe this movie is getting artifical scores to make it "seem" better than it is. There's people here that believe the movie is going to take a big financial hit due to Brie's words and feminist beliefs.

There's this phrase that many people are using nowadays "Get Woke, Go Broke". And it's clear that Brie's words have led them to believe that this phrase will be true again with this movie. We were literally having that discussion in this very thread, so what are you talking about? It's very clear what numbers this movie needs to hit to see if Brie's words and beliefs will live up to the "Get Woke, Go Broke" phrase.

Last edited:

tkscz

Lets be honest though, it's a marvel movie. It'll at least reach that if not surpass it by people believing it'll have connections to end game. It's like watching a TV series, you'll deal with the bad or boring episodes in order to understand the entire series. If people knew that this has little if no connection to end game, then we'd probably see sales drop.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

yes so all the MRA complaints have ZERO effect on it. then why is it constantly in the news? why is this the central focus of most reviews?

this is honestly the most annoying thing. it feels like every single movie that comes out, the media has to find all the craziest MRAs and signal boost them to infinity. then they pretend it applies to ALL white men, especially people that are single. so the social media leeches that live for these products hype that up further and attack anyone who says otherwise. it makes the discourse around the release toxic as hell.

i read a handful of reviews and half of them ranted about incels & dateless white males. yes, some people have trouble dating, but why the media uses every opportunity to shit on these people is beyond me. i wanted to read a review about a comic book movie and instead the author is directly crapping on my lifestyle choice. i have nothing to do with these boycotts, i even think they are silly, yet my identity is being attacked. there is a ton of collateral damage done when they hype up these nothing boycotts. it is cynical and divisive. the backlash to the backlash is 100x worse than the initial backlash.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the movie will make hundreds of millions of dollars. it is a given. it is a giant big budget movie promoted by one of the largest corporations of the planet. rooting for that to happen is silly and likely misplaced. pretending it will fail is only fooling yourself.

these companies can calculate the amount of money they expect to make off these things. they already have that worked into the next film's budget. they been doing this for decades. it's a proven, low-risk product line. no boycott outside of a massive campaign the likes of which has never been seen in any industry is going to change any of that.

if it gets low scores on RT, they will change the rules, like they just did! it is all owned by the same companies.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

yes so all the MRA complaints have ZERO effect on it. then why is it constantly in the news? why is this the central focus of most reviews?

this is honestly the most annoying thing. it feels like every single movie that comes out, the media has to find all the craziest MRAs and signal boost them to infinity. then they pretend it applies to ALL white men, especially people that are single. so the social media leeches that live for these products hype that up further and attack anyone who says otherwise. it makes the discourse around the release toxic as hell.

i read a handful of reviews and half of them ranted about incels & dateless white males. yes, some people have trouble dating, but why the media uses every opportunity to shit on these people is beyond me. i wanted to read a review about a comic book movie and instead the author is directly crapping on my lifestyle choice. i have nothing to do with these boycotts, i even think they are silly, yet my identity is being attacked. there is a ton of collateral damage done when they hype up these nothing boycotts. it is cynical and divisive. the backlash to the backlash is 100x worse than the initial backlash.

It's a newish thing called "Outrage Marketing". Purposely put something out there to piss off the so-called "other side" then sit back and watch them market your product, article, brand, etc for you. Like this Gucci Blackface sweater.

untitled-collage-696x365.jpg

This thing created more conversation about Gucci in 2 weeks, than anything I've ever seen from Gucci before in my life. Those writers are writing those things to piss off white men on purpose. They want white men to throw the link all around the internet in a rage in order to get their numbers up.

Yeah, it's called feminism.

Or.........those critics just liked the movie.

if it gets low scores on RT, they will change the rules, like they just did! it is all owned by the same companies.

How did RT change the rules?

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Or.........those critics just liked the movie.

Of course, it's a feminist movie!

It's Ghostbusters 2016 over again. The mainstream media is going to go with the "so brave" and the world "needs" this movie.

And the rest of the world is going to be: meh.

LMJ

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 , "failures" as in areas where the film fell short.

The general Consensus is that the film is average nothing amazing, that could be considered a failure,

The other consensus is that Larson is just kind of flat in most of the reviews not much personality that could also be considered a failure

You can have more than one weakness in a film, these "failures" don't mean the film is an overall failure...

Top Bottom