• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hi everyone, I have a question I'd like to ask some of you more 'experienced' Gaffers in regard to my current predicament. It's honestly not worthy of its own thread, but any answers will be appreciated. It might sound like a really stupid question (it is, honestly), but I would like to hear your responses.

I finished University a couple of months ago, and since then I have spent absolutely ZERO time searching for a job. I don't wanna sound like a weakling, but that last year of university really took its toll, and the dissertation was a real killer, so I decided to give myself a break for a few months.

ANYWAY... my bank account is now almost totally emptied, but on the bright side, I'm feeling pretty refreshed. I've been working warehouse jobs every summer for the past four of five years, and they literally just messaged me a few hours ago asking if I'd be up to come back until January.

STUPID QUESTION INCOMING: Is it a bad idea to spend these next four months working an entry level job? Or should I just be searching for a real job in my field? Will I be left eating the dust of my fellow graduates? I live in a small town and so I'm aiming to move out within the next year. If I took this shitty job I could at least save up £4,000 at the very least... The only problem is that I'm absolutely sure that I'll just end up getting complacent and not job-hunt on the side for the next four months, and will probably only be spurred into action when this contract inevitably ends in January.

So yeah. I'm re-reading what I've just wrote, and it sounds like a dumb question, though I guess I'm just searching for some affirmation...

Take the job. But make sure they'll let you take time out for interviews if necessary.

You'll find that your job-hunting will be much more focussed and effective if you are fitting it around work, you'll have the income, it'll look better on your CV that you are not sitting around on your arse.

Just don't do the complacent bit.

Take the job. But make sure they'll let you take time out for interviews if necessary.

You'll find that your job-hunting will be much more focussed and effective if you are fitting it around work, you'll have the income, it'll look better on your CV that you are not sitting around on your arse.

Just don't do the complacent bit.

Read it and listen Assault.

Because your free time will now be relatively scarcer than before, you'll use it in a more productive and efficient manner.

Trains around London are fucked.

Guess who flew in from Stansted this morning... Current recommended route to Euston is - Stansted to Cambridge - Cambridge to Kings Cross - walk or underground to Euston.

Fuck me for booking an advanced ticket.

Not much to add to Phi's advice, but what I will say is I'm glad you did take a few months to yourself. Because from here you end up just in a bit of a cycle of work, it is good to take that chance to just relax a bit after the last bit of uni, as you said it can be a bit full on. It's important to look after yourself, so, why not?

But basically yeah, if the entry level thing is work you feel you'll be able to do without hating it, go for it, and search on the side.

Assault

Appreciate the advice, guys! I suppose I was just being a bit irrational, thinking that maybe I would be demeaning myself by taking this kind of job straight out of university.

Thanks again! I will call them pronto and start work ASAP, whilst also making sure to hunt out the kind of jobs I'm looking for.

NinjaBoiX

I had these guys recommended to me a while back, only just got around to checking them out this week. If you like filthy electro with a wedge of breakbeat, a dash of hip-hop and a sprinkle of earth-shattering bass you should really check this out. I'm now a bit obsessed, I mean Ho---Lee---Sheeeiiittt....:

Modeselektor - Grillwalker

Either listen to this as loud as you legally can or don't even bother. That bass mane...it's orgasmic.

decaf

Oioi BritGAF, long time no see.

I'm working on an OT for British and Irish comedy as it's a topic that occasionally pops up on Off Topic. I figure it would be nice to have a place to discuss our favourite shows and whatnot, discover new bits and bobs we may have missed, as well as recommendations for Gaffers who don't know where to start.

This will be my first thread so I'd like to get it right. Plan is to have an intro on British and Irish comedy, some recommendations for each format (sitcoms, sketch shows, panel shows, movies, radio, etc.), comedy resources (iPlayer, All4, comedy sites), and a call to arms for people to recommend a few of their favourites.

Anything else you fine folks think should be included? I welcome any suggestions for comedy resources and entry-level recommendations for each format (ones that won't scare people off ideally).

Edit: A witty subtitle would be good too. Can't think of anything at the mo.

Volotaire

I'm working on an OT for British and Irish comedy as it's a topic that occasionally pops up on Off Topic. I figure it would be nice to have a place to discuss our favourite shows and whatnot, discover new bits and bobs we may have missed, as well as recommendations for Gaffers who don't know where to start.

This will be my first thread so I'd like to get it right. Plan is to have an intro on British and Irish comedy, some recommendations for each format (sitcoms, sketch shows, panel shows, movies, radio, etc.), and comedy resources (iPlayer, All4, comedy sites).

Anything else you fine folks think should be included? I welcome any suggestions for comedy resources and entry-level recommendations for each format (ones that won't scare people off ideally).

Nice idea! Some random suggestions:

• Fawlty Towers
  • Open All Hours
  • Peep Show (i need to check this out)
  • Inbetweeners
  • The Office
  • Only Fools and Horses
  • Blackadder
  • IT Crowd
  • One Foot in the Grave
  • Outnumbered
  • Mr Bean
  • The Royle Family

For topical/guest shows

• Have I Got News For You
  • Shooting Stars

decaf

Cheers! Glad to see a lot of the ones I was thinking of on that list. Does anyone know of any decent comedy sites like Chortle? Any sites with a large database of shows or something of that ilk?

Cheers! Glad to see a lot of the ones I was thinking of on that list. Does anyone know of any decent comedy sites like Chortle? Any sites with a large database of shows or something of that ilk?

Not off the top of my head or what Google turns up. However you should consider some modern comedy like

Mock the week
Would I lie to you

And I thought the new episode of red dwarf was ok, need to see how the rest of the series pans out.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

This will be my first thread so I'd like to get it right. Plan is to have an intro on British and Irish comedy, some recommendations for each format (sitcoms, sketch shows, panel shows, movies, radio, etc.), comedy resources (iPlayer, All4, comedy sites), and a call to arms for people to recommend a few of their favourites.

brasseye
darkplace
Alan Partridge
the day today
thick of it

8bit

Knows the Score

The recommend me some british comedy question comes up often. Here are a couple I've found:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1273392

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1124898

I'm sure there are a few more, and a bit of organisation wouldn't go amiss.

An underappreciated and pretty much forgotten British sitcom I love is 2point4 Children. Never seems to be repeated anywhere, don't think it got a widely available DVD release...it was basically My Family of the early/mid 1990s.

8bit

Knows the Score
Also 15 Storeys High is quite obscure

Others I don't think we're mentioned (but could be wrong):

Jam
Nathan Barley
Spaced
Big Train
Time Trumpet
Monkey Dust
Bottom

Some good choices there. Was surprised to see Benedict Wong in The Martian recently.

Other recommendations :

Bang Bang It's Reeves & Mortimer
Alexis Sayle's Stuff / Merry Go Round
Modern Toss
No Heroics
Sadowitz

Dinnerladies, Thin Blue Line and The Detectives are others I love that aren't as popular as others.

I've won 2 competitions today, so I'm feeling very lucky. 2 tickets to see A Nightmare on Elm Street in some caves over Hallowe'en, and 2 tickets to see Frightened Rabbit in December. Awesome!

Jordan

Black Books has become a favourite of mine

spuckthew

Anyone know if Odeon tickets bought online can be withdrawn the day before a showing?

Was gonna see The Girl on the Train tomorrow night but my girlfriend has a work dinner that she somehow forgot about and now I'm £25 down.

If I can take them out tonight on my way home, I might be able to sell them to some peeps at work tomorrow.

Or, it's in Camden if anyone local from GAF would buy them off me!

EDIT: nevermind, we're going anyway..!

Comic Strip presents
Young Ones
Bottom
Blackadder
(Basically anything with Rik Mayall in)
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Mighty Boosh
IT Crowd
(Basically anything with Matt Berry in)

Hi BritGAF, the girlfriend and I are repenting for our convict lifestyle and are travelling to London for a couple of weeks starting November 20th. We're planning on doing some typical touristy activities; going to the Warner Bros. Harry Potter studio tour, many museums/galleries, etc. But I thought I should ask if there's anything in particular that Londoners are proud of and we should check out? :) Thanks in advance!

spuckthew

Hi BritGAF, the girlfriend and I are repenting for our convict lifestyle and are travelling to London for a couple of weeks starting November 20th. We're planning on doing some typical touristy activities; going to the Warner Bros. Harry Potter studio tour, many museums/galleries, etc. But I thought I should ask if there's anything in particular that Londoners are proud of and we should check out? :) Thanks in advance!

You can't really go wrong with the museums and art galleries since they're mostly free to enter. The zoo is pretty good, and if it's a clear day (or if you go up at night - even to one of the restaurants, which are excellent btw) The Shard is pretty great.

Harrods and Hamleys are fun to visit - they should look cool and Christmas-themed at that time of year too.

And some of my favourite restaurants to top it off include: Hakkasan (Chinese; ££££), Bar Boulud (French; £££), Gaucho (Argentine/steak; £££), Cantina Laredo (Mexican; ££), Barrafina (Spanish/tapas; ££), Joe Allen (American; ££).

BrutalWrite

Neo Member
Greetings fellow Brits.

Where do you come from? (Where do you go, where do you come from Cotton Eye Joe etc) Leicestershire
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Journalist
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? Not die before the age of 50.
Favourite daytime TV show? Jezza
Fish or chips? Fish
Daddy or chips? Mccain chips taste like shit.
What's your tipple of choice? Tia Maria floater coffees are amazing.
Favourite party snack? Muthafuckin' party rings
Who is the best bald person? Adrian Edmondson
What's your disappointing claim to fame? Met my MP a few times.
What's your perfect Sunday? Probably working out then video games for the rest of the day followed with a decent roast.
Did you threaten to overrule him? Paxman stop.
Did you threaten to overrule him? Paxman please stop.
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? pls.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hello all.

So Dark Souls 2, eh? It's got some amazing areas and some really shit ones.

The DLC seems good so far.

Souls
Souls
Souls
Souls

You can't really go wrong with the museums and art galleries since they're mostly free to enter. The zoo is pretty good, and if it's a clear day (or if you go up at night - even to one of the restaurants, which are excellent btw) The Shard is pretty great.

Harrods and Hamleys are fun to visit - they should look cool and Christmas-themed at that time of year too.

And some of my favourite restaurants to top it off include: Hakkasan (Chinese; ££££), Bar Boulud (French; £££), Gaucho (Argentine/steak; £££), Cantina Laredo (Mexican; ££), Barrafina (Spanish/tapas; ££), Joe Allen (American; ££).

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the advice, a lot of that sounds great :)

MikeMyers

Brit living in US here. Given that both Brexit and Trump happened, should I just go back to UK? Might as go well down in flames with my native country, lol.

spuckthew

Brit living in US here. Given that both Brexit and Trump happened, should I just go back to UK? Might as go well down in flames with my native country, lol.

Depends on what you like about the US tbh. My girlfriend is a drama queen and was saying shit like "might as well denounce my US citizenship" this morning. She was born and schooled in France, but 90% of her family live in WA and she ultimately wanted to move over there at some stage. I want to go too because I love the Pacific Northwest of America, and there's loads of technology firms and startups in the Seattle area. Trump being elected sucks, but the country isn't going to get flipped on its head the second he walks into the Oval Office. Also, Brexit is likely to be much worse from an economic perspective.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Depends on what you like about the US tbh. My girlfriend is a drama queen and was saying shit like "might as well denounce my US citizenship" this morning. She was born and schooled in France, but 90% of her family live in WA and she ultimately wanted to move over there at some stage. I want to go too because I love the Pacific Northwest of America, and there's loads of technology firms and startups in the Seattle area. Trump being elected sucks, but the country isn't going to get flipped on its head the second he walks into the Oval Office. Also, Brexit is likely to be much worse from an economic perspective.

Just go to a blue state? Don't come back here yet, we're fucked for a good few years a least.

NinjaBoiX

So Trump sucks and is going to fuck everything up for all but hey, at least everyone's favourite purveyor of easy listening, advert fodder muzak is releasing new shit:

Bonobo - Kerala

His fairly standard mix of layered, eastern-influenced melodies with soothing vocals and an off-beat rhythm but it sure is purdy.

(Also, I'm officially 100% debt free for the first time in over 10 years today.)

zWEPM9o.jpg

NinjaBoiX

I couldn't even find the moon let alone appreciate it's super-mode majesty but an astronomer lady talked about it on the radio yesterday:

"It may not appear that different but bear in mind that it'll be approximately 18% larger and 22% brighter than normal."

Sounds enchanting...

Top Bottom