• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CANADA NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Bo130

AlphaSnake said:
Canada's numbers are 7-9% of North America. Start doing some math, kids! STAT!

For USA, assuming the same percent share for the systems, and saying that Canada is ~8% of USAs market share,

Wii - 526,250
Nintendo DS - 436,250
PlayStation 2 - 225,000
XBox 360 - 160,000
PlayStation Portable - 151,250
Game Boy Advance - 98,750
PlayStation 3 - 90,000

Deku

Banned
Oh Canada

canadian_flag.gif

Deku

Banned
Bo130 said:
For USA, assuming the same percent share for the systems, and saying that Canada is ~8% of USAs market share,

Wii - 526,250
Nintendo DS - 436,250
PlayStation 2 - 225,000
XBox 360 - 160,000
PlayStation 3 - 90,000

Wii is probably over represented and 360 under represented in the Canadian numbers as Nintendo has traditionally done better in Canada, but PS3 numbers @90k seems to be in the ballpark of what people are predicting.

DS numbers are also reasonable considering Pokemon is out.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Bo130 said:

Wii - 526,250
Nintendo DS - 436,250
PlayStation 2 - 225,000
XBox 360 - 160,000
PlayStation 3 - 90,000

Factor in a margin of error and I bet those numbers are fairly close to the real thing. Can't wait to see the numbers at 6:30.

Zzoram

Shiggy said:
I just don't know whether here are the same rules as in the US thread.

I just don't understand why posting LTDs is a bad thing? Is it because the numbers aren't 100% accurate? If NPD has an LTD is that ok? I know stuff like nexgenwars and *that other place* is bannable because they're really rough approximations unlike NPD.

AirBrian

Bo130 said:

Wii - 526,250
Nintendo DS - 436,250
PlayStation 2 - 225,000
XBox 360 - 160,000
PlayStation 3 - 90,000
Someone is going to be shaving tonight!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is going to be a really crazy month. That's for sure.

Can't wait until I see the numbers!

Haunted

Nykad said:
Good thing Steve is impressed or the PS3 would be in real trouble here.
:lol

stewacide said:
In terms of CONSOLE gaming, if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say Canada probably edges out France and Germany (individually) for the #4 spot.
I doubt that. France and Spain are bigger console markets than Canada (imo). With Germany it's hard to tell because we just love our PCs so much. I doubt it's significantly smaller than Canada though.

thefro

Deku said:
Wii is probably over represented and 360 under represented in the Canadian numbers as Nintendo has traditionally done better in Canada, but PS3 numbers @90k seems to be in the ballpark of what people are predicting.

DS numbers are also reasonable considering Pokemon is out.

Wii numbers are based on supply at this point. Everything that hits the stores sells out, so the fact that Nintendo is traditionally more popular in Canada means little. There's no reason to think that Canada got a disproportionate amount of Wiis versus Jan/Feb.

Sony/Microsoft should do better in the US than these numbers. Since they have units readily available on shelves, you can't extrapolate the numbers for their systems (and DS/GBA as well) as accurately as with Wii, which is solely based on how many units Nintendo puts on shelves at this point. Canada does have different gaming tastes than the US.

explodet

For the hell of it I plugged in February to April numbers for Canada (no March Canadian NPD numbers) and did a percent change calculation using US NPD numbers. The result:

DS: Up 52.6%
Wii: Up 47.4%
PS2: Down 22.4%
PSP: Up 30%
360: Up 3.3%
PS3: Up 18.3%

So for April US NPD, using February numbers:
DS 740K
Wii 494K
360 236K
PS2 229K
PSP 229K
PS3 151K

Not my official prediction, as I'm sure there's all sorts of factors that aren't being considered; these are just what the numbers tell me.

womfalcs3 said:
Except those are Japan's number in a bad week.... not a month. :lol :lol

Japan has 4 times the population, so this makes exact sense.

Zzoram said:
No.

But Canada gets the sweet stuff before the rest of the world simply due to location.

I bet you're wrong. Canada has a larger population than anywhere else except the larger European countries, and going by Euro numbers I'd say Canada consumes more games than they do. It's probably cultural; US games are better inclined towards Canadian tastes than they are European. Plus they cost comparitively less.

stewacide

LiveFromKyoto said:
I bet you're wrong. Canada has a larger population than anywhere else except the larger European countries, and going by Euro numbers I'd say Canada consumes more games than they do. It's probably cultural; US games are better inclined towards Canadian tastes than they are European. Plus they cost comparitively less.

I suspect there's some deeper historical reason, why gaming was so slow to catch on in Europe, and especially outside the UK. Probably government-subsidized computers that were popular in many countries in the 80s, preventing consoles from getting that early foot-hold. Also they missed out on the NES which was really the industry defining system in NA and Japan.

Xavien

Jokeropia said:
We got the NES in Europe! It was never as big as in USA and Japan, though.

Europe was very big on SEGA systems though (Master System and Mega Drive specifically).

Mudhoney

Chiggs said:
I honestly can't get over the Wii. It's domination is ridiculous. I hate the system, personally; but all these people can't be wrong, can they?

I think I might be the problem.
Every single one of them are wrong. It's a fact that Wii and its games are simply not fun. Look it up.

:p

Deku

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:

Being geographically close to the US has meant that we can get games nearly on the same date as the Americans and usually on the same day for big first party titles from Sony/Nintendo/MS who have branch offices here. It's a big bonus.

1-D_FTW

Chiggs said:
I honestly can't get over the Wii. It's domination is ridiculous. I hate the system, personally; but all these people can't be wrong, can they?

I think I might be the problem.

You need to assimilate.

I came real close to selling my Wii, but held on and am beginning to like it better (Though I've always loved Wii Sports.)

The whole notion of waggle sucks isn't going to play. Sales dictates Sony and MS will be waggle heavy in the future. So you mine as well suck it up and reprogram the brain now.

Haunted

Deku said:
Being geographically close to the US has meant that we can get games nearly on the same date as the Americans and usually on the same day for big first party titles from Sony/Nintendo/MS who have branch offices here. It's a big bonus.
lucky sob.

test_account

XP-39C²
Xavien said:
Europe was very big on SEGA systems though (Master System and Mega Drive specifically).

What i know, UK was the biggest Sega country. Rest of Europe was pretty Nintendo dominating. I live in Europe (not UK tho) and when i grew up "everyone" had a NES, hardly anyone i knew had a Sega Master System.

Xavien

test_account said:
What i know, UK was the biggest Sega country. Rest of Europe was pretty Nintendo dominating. I live in Europe (not UK tho) and when i grew up "everyone" had a NES, hardly anyone i knew had a Sega Master System.

Exact opposite for me, everyone i knew had a Master System and/or a Mega Drive and not a Nintendo System.

I lived in the UK though and to be fair, the UK share of the European market back then was massive (probably around 50-60%).

Zzoram

I just realized, there is not a single person in Canada I know of that has a PS3 :lol

I know 5 people with an Xbox 360 and 3 people with a Wii. The DS, everyone has 2.

Endgegner

Xavien said:

At least in Germany, the NES and SNES were very popular, too. A lot more popular than Sega.

Vitet

test_account said:

In Spain Megadrive was BIG

Pachael

Bo130 said:

Wii - 526,250
Nintendo DS - 436,250
PlayStation 2 - 225,000
XBox 360 - 160,000
PlayStation 3 - 90,000

POKEM-
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156701

US NPD

Nintendo DS - 471k (35k more)
Wii 360k (165k less)
PlayStation 2 194k (35k more)
PlayStation Portable 183k (30k more)
Xbox 360 174k (14k more)
Game Boy Advance 84k (14k less)
PlayStation 3 82k (8k less)
GameCube 13k (...)

The most accurate is the PS3 prediction! Great job Nintendo!

Top Bottom