• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Jigolo

I loved the illusion to smash attack combos

What's crazy is that the Marth could chain grab and looked good in the first 5 seconds but it was only downhill from there. These people are still better than me tho

EDIT: 4 down throws into dair to finish lmao

Anura

Lol, that fox did almost nothing but mash the C-stick. The Marth had some decent movement but clearly no idea how to implement them in a meaningful way. He also walked too much when the situation demanded faster movements. If that fox had any idea of how to press down b most of those grabs would be punished. Also, he hung back on when fox was off stage far too much and lost tons of big punishes. I'm pretty sure I'm better with either of those characters and I play exclusively ICs .

Also in game one the Marth missed a tech when falling from the top of the screen, lol.

trying the hax mod and it doesnt feel necessary to me. The dashing feels marginally easier, but shield dropping feels the same to me?
Then again I wasnt using fox, who seems like it would benefit the most.

Codeblue

It's not that dashing is easier, it's that it's consistent.

If you've never just pivoted or not gone anywhere after mashing backwards, then count yourself lucky and take care of that controller.

It's not that dashing is easier, it's that it's consistent.

If you've never just pivoted or not gone anywhere after mashing backwards, then count yourself lucky and take care of that controller.

Yeah, if you have a great controller the mod feels no different. If your controller is average or worse it'll feel way better with the mod.

Also if y'all want bad Melee, here's an old gem from when we were wee lads. I'm the Kirby:

https://youtu.be/7yQH_EaMFr8

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Feel like I agree with a lot of the conclusions on the MIOM stream about controllers and memory card mods.

Arduinos are bad and impossible to effectively police, memory card mods okay.
Dashback fix = okay
Shield drop consistency fix = okay
1.0/0.98 value fix = not essential and it will probably have repercussions, so no decision
Perfect angles = not a big enough issue address

emb

I know people are probably already aware, but just dropping a reminder here to check out Bad Moon Rising 2 tomorrow. It's gonna be sick.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
n0ne vs $mike is hilarious. Two crazy, exciting Falcons being played by totally expressionless players.

$mike up two games, both being comebacks.

GamerJM

Banned
Kreygasm MANGO OUTDATED Kreygasm ARMADA OVERRATED Kreygasm LEFFEN HATED Kreygasm HUNGRYBOX FADED Kreygasm MEW2KING DEGRADED Kreygasm COMMUNITY ELATED Kreygasm LONG HAVE WE WAITED Kreygasm PPMD REINSTATED Kreygasm

Codeblue

BMR2 makes a strong case for a crowd mic. Being able to hear the hype was great. If the commentators aren't having to compete with chants then your viewers aren't getting the proper experience.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think BMR2 had a crowd mic, just the commentators were literally right beside the crowd so it was unavoidable.

But yeah, crowd mics are awesome.

Jigolo

Hype match commentators sucked tho. Especially when they were on stream the first time from the pengboys highlight video.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've never seen a player choke so hard that their choke became clutch. LOZR was a treat to watch and arguably carried the team despite throwing away so many stocks. PP definitely did a lot of good stuff but LOZR probably got most of the KOs, especially on Hbox.

Codeblue

When he started full hop air dodging, I thought it was over. I've never seen someone choke so hard. Crazy that he managed to get that game off the most clutch Melee player.

Anth0ny

yeahhhh... that doubles set will be watched again and again for years to come. perfect representation of melee right there. so awesome.

emb

I went back and watched it and still can barely tell how Hbox lost that one stock. Replayed the moment like 15 times trying to see it. Had to have been an upsmash or upair, but it was interrupted quick.

Was wild watching while it happened. Catfish were down a couple stocks and I figure it's almost over, but crowd starts getting hyped up anyway. I blink and suddenly it's almost even.

SO WHO

IS GOING

TO EVO?

I have 8PM pools on Friday, which kinda sucks cause I paid for tickets to a show at 8:30 lol.

On the other hand, I've beaten two people in my pool in previous tournaments before, so I don't want to trade pools.

Gonna probably eat the ticket cost and be like whatever, I'm here for Melee.

Daouzin

SO WHO

IS GOING

TO EVO?

I have 8PM pools on Friday, which kinda sucks cause I paid for tickets to a show at 8:30 lol.

On the other hand, I've beaten two people in my pool in previous tournaments before, so I don't want to trade pools.

Won't be able to go this year, which makes me sad. Hoping Melee is back on Sunday next year so I can make it a higher priority to go.

I think the next EVO will be ridiculous.

DB Fighters Z
Marvel Infinite
Super Street Fighter
New Arika game.

Those games with Melee on Sunday. HYYYYYPE!

Codeblue

All my friends backed out so I'm not making it out this year. Hopefully Genesis or Evo '18 is in the cards. Super bummed out, but at least I won't have to fight for Saturday seating to watch top 8.

GamerJM

Banned
Not going to EVO, last year was amazing but idk if it's something I'd want to do every year, plus this year just doesn't seem that hype. Next year is a maybe, IIRC Armada was talking earlier this year about how he wants to make Summer 2018 huge for Smash, and seeing DBZ Fighters there would also be awesome.

Definitely going to every future Genesis provided they stay in NorCal (especially if they continue being a <10 minute drive away from where I live). 3 and 4 were too hype. 3 is probably still my favorite personal Smash experience honestly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
10 game grand finals between Lucky and N0ne at f(3).

Lucky takes it. Wonder if he's going to have some sponsors getting in touch with him.

Bakkus

Anyone playing Fantasy for EVO? Looking at the points distribution it seems like the best tactic is letting at least half the team be 10 coin players to save up on the better players. Really flawed system all things considered.

SO WHO

IS GOING

TO EVO?

I'm going! 10 AM pool for Melee and 4 PM Pool for Smash 4. My first EVO. Really hyped!

Daouzin

I'm going! 10 AM pool for Melee and 4 PM Pool for Smash 4. My first EVO. Really hyped!

Awesome! Have a good time! I'm guessing it isn't your first tournament, but if it is, be sure to make friends and continue the party into the hotel rooms. Friendlies are difficult to have on the floor with exception to super early. So if you wake up early you can get friendlies, but expect to do most of your practice in a hotel room. Then once you're out of the tournament make friends, watch matches and do Vegas stuff.

EVO is so awesome haha.

GamerJM

Banned
Awesome! Have a good time! I'm guessing it isn't your first tournament, but if it is, be sure to make friends and continue the party into the hotel rooms. Friendlies are difficult to have on the floor with exception to super early. So if you wake up early you can get friendlies, but expect to do most of your practice in a hotel room. Then once you're out of the tournament make friends, watch matches and do Vegas stuff.

EVO is so awesome haha.

I actually didn't enter anyone else's hotel room last year and somehow managed to get in a lot of friendlies on the floor itself. They were much harder to get there than at, like, Genesis (though 4 had the setups being used mostly for that amateur bracket shit or whatever it's called on Saturday, and I didn't bother with that since I didn't want to have to deal with constantly updating Smash.gg to see who I'd play).

EVO is so awesome haha.

Thanks, man! Yeah, I've been to the past 3 Combo Breaker's but those aren't really big on Smash. And yeah, I've heard that friendlies are really difficult to get to at EVO so I'll definitely try to find some guys I can play with in rooms. I'm flying out to Vegas tomorrow and staying on Monday so I'll definitely have time to do Vegas things.

Top Bottom