• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

ec0ec0

plup standing still on randal, waiting for his opponent to take his stock (as randal had just saved him, when he was about to die), was one of the best things i have seen on a melee tournament. I mean, wow. I've seen randal miraculously appearing on the last moment, and saving people, hundreds of times, but the game continued normally.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Moon up a game on Leffen. And that tech->shine by Leffen was sooo sick.

Moon wins, Leffen SD'd twice but still. What a huge run.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Codeblue

Overall, probably the most predictable top 8 we've seen in a while. M2K dropping the set against Armada was a real bummer, especially since he was a dair away from taking that set.

The most interesting matches were all in losers. SFAT/Lucky was probably the highlight of the tournament for me.

Congrats to Armada though. He seems poised to steal Mang0's 3VO out from under him.

Edit: Oh yeah, HBox should have definitely been DQed. The rationale that G$ ran up on stage to "coach" SFAT is absurd. Dude was clearly joking.

Jigolo

It's still ridiculous to me that S4 gets this time slot and Melee spills over after midnight on Saturday.

You know it's crazy how quick this top 8 is moving. More majors need to streamline their top 8/32 for smash and eliminate handwarmers and coaching. Smash 4 started late (6:30ish) and it's almost done.

Codeblue

I use to think a good part of Neogaf just didn't understand Melee. There's been like 4 threads in the past 48 hours that have convinced me that people don't understand fighting games in general, but insist they do.

Some of these are scrub quote hall of fame material.

Lucumo

I use to think a good part of Neogaf just didn't understand Melee. There's been like 4 threads in the past 48 hours that have convinced me that people don't understand fighting games in general, but insist they do.

Looking at what people wrote during EVO, I think most of them just watch that every year + at most another 2-3 tournaments.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'll never forget the guy who was basically hating on Melee for being hard. Was hyped for Smash 4 because he "could play competitively without having to spend hours every day practicing dumb advanced techniques."

I think there are a decent number of people on GAF who just really "mainstream" and casual gamers and don't understand much beyond that. It came up briefly in a previous Melee topic, but speedrunning also has a similar stigma.

Yo guys, sorry I didn't check in at all during EVO, I was posting in the other thread.

But.

I went positive in Melee! I was unlucky with an 8 PM pool so I was tired AF from helping all day and playing my other games.

I lost to Sugino from Nor Cal, then I beat a Marth, a Falco, and a Fox to get back to Sugino in Loser's semis of my pool.

I lost again but it was a good run. If I had won that and the next I would've been out of my pool. 3-2, 4-2 if you count the Bye. 7th in my pool of 32, and I think tied for 385th overall?

EVO was amazing, although I watched very little Melee lol. I need to watch Vods!

Anteo

loIHQto.jpg

This is a thing

xezuru

This is a thing

I'd be way more interested if this event thing was way less formal, even though it is just a fun cross promotion, and way more behind the scenes-ey like Summit. An example is I would love to see Mango and Daigo interact, as those two out of game are the most opposite beings in the universe yet mango has claimed to "never walk in his path" because Daigo's too godlike for him to waste the beast's time. Been in an out of the stream but it seems like a decent silly little event.

Top Bottom