• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

nush

They all look delicious, especially the broccoli and mushrooms. Can you give me a breakdown of that dish (spices and such)?

That's an easy one.

Oyster sauce is the most unusual ingredient but nearly all the dishes use it and it does not actually make the dish taste at all like seafood. Slice stir fry and add the sauce. You do get much better results using a wok at it transfers the heat better and quicker than a frying pan. You can substitute any mushrooms you like.

GeekyDad

That's an easy one.

Oyster sauce is the most unusual ingredient but nearly all the dishes use it and it does not actually make the dish taste at all like seafood. Slice stir fry and add the sauce. You do get much better results using a wok at it transfers the heat better and quicker than a frying pan. You can substitute any mushrooms you like.
Got both (wok and oyster sauce) in the house. My wife uses those often. Will definitely try. Thanks for the link.

nush

Got both (wok and oyster sauce) in the house. My wife uses those often. Will definitely try. Thanks for the link.

I'm going to try this one later today, I found some ground pork in the freezer so I don't need anything else.

aglio e olio…if you like spice and garlic this is da bomba.

xZUk1qt.jpg
nMLRY4Z.jpg

My attempt think next time I'll add some king prawns. Was tasty though

Misses made some pumpkin soup using chicken stock, onions, salt, pepper, pinch of curry powder for something different and of course pumpkin. Drizzled in a little cream to smooth things out. Didn't have any parsley on hand but would have garnished with if we had any. Served with some toasted buttery crusty vienna bread.

xejysDP.jpg

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
PAILA MARINA - CHILEAN SEAFOOD STEW

bpnNsm2.jpg
HIJFBWI.jpg

I've always wanted to try the fish stew Gus was so fond of.

It was more simple then expected, but delicious. I made it again tonight but added smoked paprika and more chilli flakes and it was even better. Gus was eating good as a kid lol.

Sosokrates Sosokrates Hearty looking stew, looks bloody tasty! Taking a guess here as I haven't seen that dish before. Has prawns/shrimp, calamari, clams, cilantro, garlic, tomato, fish stock, pepper?

Sosokrates

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
V2.0 Full English stir fry. I need to work on the sauce, Worcester sauce would be a good base but I can't get that here.

tONSC2.md.jpg

That sounds like a good idea. Like something a chef in some fancy restaurant might dream up. I think I am going to try this tonight.

GeekyDad

Made my chicken curry on Wednesday to eat the next day and Friday. Ate it regular the first day, and...made a sandwich the next. :D

0f2zg8h.jpg
uFK0jga.jpg

Was a bit disappointed, to be honest. First of all, I meant to make an Italian-style chicken, but out of habit, without thinking, I marinated the chicken in yogurt and my curry seasonings. Then, when it came time to cook it, I didn't add additional garam masala because I'm trying to go a little easy on the spicier stuff. Plus, I was also out of fresh ginger. Just meh...

But it did work as a sandwich (regular Ezekiel bread).

Sosokrates

Certainly the healthy version mate, well done. Cheese'n'crackers is my weakness, lose the fruit, gain more cheese and crackers. Then gain some more cheese selections.

Currently got some stilton and quince paste sitting there I just picked up in yesterday's shop, it's calling my name.

Eat it lol.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Certainly the healthy version mate, well done. Cheese'n'crackers is my weakness, lose the fruit, gain more cheese and crackers. Then gain some more cheese selections.

Currently got some stilton and quince paste sitting there I just picked up in yesterday's shop, it's calling my name.
I had quince jelly for the first time ever today. One of my wife's friends lives in 'Straya and brought us some of her homemade jelly to have. It's quite good.

Also

I made an Alfredo sauce with asiago cheese tonight. I quite enjoyed it a bit more than parmesan tbh.

That looks a far sight better than my Pastrami sandwich I slapped together with some left over veg/salad bits today. So colourful and inviting.

Sosokrates

Looks delicious and reasonably healthy.
Yeah I dont know if you like your fruit and veg but a cheese board or plate is a great way to get your five a day. Fruit + cheese is a historic food pairing, we have been eating it for centuries.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Yeah I dont know if you like your fruit and veg but a cheese board or plate is a great way to get your five a day. Fruit + cheese is a historic food pairing, we have been eating it for centuries.
I consume mostly fruit and veggies each day. Unfortunately, though I absolutely love cheese, it doesn't love me back. ;)

Southwest Beef Cavatappi with homemade Garlic Bread Sticks
uJKcf97.jpg

Grilled Yogurt Lemon/Garlic Marinaded Chicken Breast, with Pasta Salad and Grilled Corn
adSPDxh.jpg

Glazed Chicken & Sesame Rice with Snap Peas
Qdy0TFk.jpg
I've seen these flat style plates at Costco and never pulled the trigger. Are they non-stick? Or just look it. Durable and scratch resistant?

I've seen these flat style plates at Costco and never pulled the trigger. Are they non-stick? Or just look it. Durable and scratch resistant?
Honestly? My wife and I put them on our wedding registry on Amazon. When we received them, I thought they would chip like a mother fucker. That being said, they’re durable and worth every Penny and have survived two kids so far.

Stone Lain Coupe Dinnerware Set, Service For 4, Black Matte, Matte Black https://a.co/d/6WW3Lv4

Last edited:

Chronicle

Misses made some pumpkin soup using chicken stock, onions, salt, pepper, pinch of curry powder for something different and of course pumpkin. Drizzled in a little cream to smooth things out. Didn't have any parsley on hand but would have garnished with if we had any. Served with some toasted buttery crusty vienna bread.

xejysDP.jpg
Looks fantastic. Was it made with fresh or canned pumpkin. Hopefully fresh. Filling and delicious

Raven117

Y’all watch The Bear yet on Hulu?

Great show with some intense restaurant kitchen scenes!

Last edited:

Chronicle

Well I live near the sea. But I usually drive about an hour to the coast and they're spawning now in shallow waters at this time of year. I just go out on a wharf toss in a squid jig (lure) and they'll just grab it. They're easy to catch. They come up shooting water at you and then will ink you. They're cute little buggers. You can kinda feel a bit bad with that big eye looking at you. In the pick hes bigger than he looks. Its the angle that makes him look small.
vdxuhBV.jpg
iTVe6NG.jpg
BlTpY4S.jpg

They can bite though. In the middle pick the little guy got me twice. Ouch! Tge can get up to a 16 inches.

Last edited:
Literally stir fried up some leftover roasted chicken (peri sauce), with some zucchini, noodles and some cashew nuts. Added in some some sesame sauce.

Perfect for a stir fry. I'm doing this Stir Fry Chicken recipe tonight but losing the zucchini and adding some rice to extend for repeat meals and savings etc. My kids love the broccoli soaking up the sauce and flavour. Probably throw in some chopped chillies too.

Chicken-Stir-Fry-1-1.jpg

Perfect for a stir fry. I'm doing this Stir Fry Chicken recipe tonight but losing the zucchini and adding some rice to extend for repeat meals and savings etc. My kids love the broccoli soaking up the sauce and flavour. Probably throw in some chopped chillies too.

Chicken-Stir-Fry-1-1.jpg
I find zucchini one of those vegetables that can be a pain to cook too. It has that tight threshold where you can go from cooked and firm, to overcooked and soggy as fuck.

Chopped up chilies is one thing I'm a sissy. I'm not into super hot food, and the times I tossed in some hot peppers I screwed it up cooking it in too long so the entree became a flamethrower. LOL. For me, I take the wimp way out and prefer hot sauce on the side as a dip and use cheap mainstream stuff like Frank's or Valentina's.

As dumb as it sounds, when I do Chinese take out and get sauce packets, sometimes the hot sauce packets are good. And I stock up on them along with packets of duck sauce which are way better than plum sauce. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom