• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could we see the end of Physical Gaming Media after next gen?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
"Bu-but muh data cap"

Move on. People download gigabytes of software on their phones, stream Netflix and download games from Steam to their PCs without a blink of an eye, but when it comes to game consoles you suddenly direly need physical media. Even cars and their navigation systems have moved on from running maps from DVDs to just using a hard drive.

STFU

I have a 1TB cap which I hit all the time. My cell cap is 15GB and shared by five people. These are real limitations and there is no way to "move on" unless I pay ridiculous prices to go over my cap. For example $10 per 50GB.

STFU

I have a 1TB cap which I hit all the time. My cell cap is 15GB and shared by five people. These are real limitations and there is no way to "move on" unless I pay ridiculous prices to go over my cap. For example $10 per 50GB.
You must have Comcast too. They have an option to pay an extra $50 a month for unlimited - though we shouldn't have to. It's not like they run out of bits. That's not how the internet works. But without actual competition in the marketplace, they can make up all sorts of shit to charge us for. Cocksuckers.

This is true
But I will say while CD’s are still around the music industry hasn't been the same, it took a nosedive in late 90's/early 2000's with the introduction of Digital downloads
Even today they can't reach the heights the industry did 20 years ago.

Digital Downloads didn't move any needles until the mid-2000's not even sure where you're getting late 90's from.

Ryu_Joestar

If they're taking that path, i think that will be at least the physical box with download code inside scenario (like PUBG or Cuphead).

What concerns me are the licences of digital games on previous consoles like PS3/360 and PS4/One in the future

Last edited:
Most consoles are sold via Amazon or big retailers. Not to meantion you can buy them directly from ms, sony and nintendo.
Most are sold from big retailers like Walmart, don't discount their influence. Last black Friday you couldn't find a spiderman ps4 bundle anywhere. Also, picking them up from physical businesses means you get to set it up instantly, not a 1-2 weeks after ordering it and wondering if it got broken in transit.

manfestival

I feel like all these "death of physical copies" doomsayers remind me of the y2kers. Time to go out and buy a physical copy out of spite.

manfestival

Well, not really. Big publishers are pushing this hard and it's easy to see why..
Why wouldn't anyone try to push for another stream of revenue? How do you draw the conclusion of "death of video games" from that? Not just big publishers, but it seems like EVERYONE is pushing for this hard.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
I hope so. Physical releases of digital goods are ecologically irresponsible.

So is driving. So is drinking coffee. So is wearing clothes. Literally everything we do as a species is ecologically irresponsible.

OT: I don't think so, but if they try to force digital only or streaming - I will quit playing modern games. There is zero point in dealing with closed ecosystems that rely on tethered connections that are so actively anti-consumer.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Why wouldn't anyone try to push for another stream of revenue? How do you draw the conclusion of "death of video games" from that? Not just big publishers, but it seems like EVERYONE is pushing for this hard.

Let's imagine that the gaming industry pushes for strictly digital gaming and tries to remove physical. This would change many things that would be more prosperous for the publishers.
  1. People cannot buy used games.
  2. People could suffer hardware failures or losses of their accounts and require to buy the game again on a newer system.
  3. An old console/platform is shut down and you cannot access those digital goods any more.
All of which would lead to publishers/developers earning more money as people buy the games over and over again and they won't have to produce physical products saving on cost.

Now, let's imagine that the gaming industry pushes for strictly streaming games and tries to remove digital and physical.
  1. Gamers would have to pay for online on the platform.
  2. Gamers would have to pay for access to the streaming service.
  3. Gamers would have to pay for rental fees on that game and the server space it takes up.
  4. If the game is removed, there is a very good chance it is gone as there are no physical or digital versions.
None of this is good for the consumer, but it provides the publisher/developer more revenue. Developers won't have to deal with specific store fronts and could instead create their own streaming platforms, creating closed ecosystems that gamers would have to buy into and they would reap the profits.

Of course this is a very simplified view of some of the problems one may face with a digital/streaming world, but that doesn't make it any less of an issue that we, as consumers, should fight against.

manfestival

Let's imagine that the gaming industry pushes for strictly digital gaming and tries to remove physical. This would change many things that would be more prosperous for the publishers.
  1. People cannot buy used games.
  2. People could suffer hardware failures or losses of their accounts and require to buy the game again on a newer system.
  3. An old console/platform is shut down and you cannot access those digital goods any more.
All of which would lead to publishers/developers earning more money as people buy the games over and over again and they won't have to produce physical products saving on cost.

Now, let's imagine that the gaming industry pushes for strictly streaming games and tries to remove digital and physical.
  1. Gamers would have to pay for online on the platform.
  2. Gamers would have to pay for access to the streaming service.
  3. Gamers would have to pay for rental fees on that game and the server space it takes up.
  4. If the game is removed, there is a very good chance it is gone as there are no physical or digital versions.
None of this is good for the consumer, but it provides the publisher/developer more revenue. Developers won't have to deal with specific store fronts and could instead create their own streaming platforms, creating closed ecosystems that gamers would have to buy into and they would reap the profits.

Of course this is a very simplified view of some of the problems one may face with a digital/streaming world, but that doesn't make it any less of an issue that we, as consumers, should fight against.
I didn't ask why they would do this. Everyone knows why and it is obvious why. I think you entirely misunderstood my post.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
I didn't ask why they would do this. Everyone knows why and it is obvious why. I think you entirely misunderstood my post.

You asked, "How do you draw the conclusion of "death of video games" from that?" and I explained how as well as reasons to why they would kill physical. A digital/streaming future would kill gaming for many. Couple the reasons I listed with poor internet infrastructure, data caps, and shitty ISP practices and you have the death of video games.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

So is driving. So is drinking coffee. So is wearing clothes. Literally everything we do as a species is ecologically irresponsible.

OT: I don't think so, but if they try to force digital only or streaming - I will quit playing modern games. There is zero point in dealing with closed ecosystems that rely on tethered connections that are so actively anti-consumer.
Yes.. and that is why we try to find better ways to drive, make coffee and produce clothes.

One of those better ways happens to be avoiding physical manifestations of digital goods. Worried about consumer rights? It's better to work towards a consumer friendly digital future than hold on to the archaic physical media. Write your politicians that this is important to you or something..

manfestival

You asked, "How do you draw the conclusion of "death of video games" from that?" and I explained how as well as reasons to why they would kill physical. A digital/streaming future would kill gaming for many. Couple the reasons I listed with poor internet infrastructure, data caps, and shitty ISP practices and you have the death of video games.
Your response seemed more answering a different question than actually addressing the stated question. Your answer fits more of the narrative of "why would they want to make this type of service?" rather than "This is how this kills video games/physical gaming." I just reread your post and it still strikes me as that or as an argument as to why these companies would move in this direction(which isn't what was asked). Just explaining the perception of what you wrote(since that can be different than intention).

Until they solve situation in Europe where our digital releases are 20-30% more expensive than discs I don't see it happening.

hunthunt

Banned
End of physical media for videogames? yes but definitively not everywhere, and not until internet speeds are equally good in the main markets.

And considering that games next gen could be as much as 100 gigabytes then the obvious answer is not until at least 2030

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Somebody better not tell them how ecologically destructive blockchaining is.

An article from 2013 predicting something from 1998?
Did you even read it
There no predictions or opinions
It what happened.

Even though you can find early 200's articles saying that Digital downloads has a ways to go.

Did you forget what the internet was like before 2005?

I feel like there’s numerous threads covering this.

My answer is no. Digital and streaming may become more popular over the next 10 years but there will remain a need for physical media during that time.

20-25 years from now, maybe

A sensible post from a sensible member of a sensible forum. Life's good, mane.

Also, Physical Ownership > Digital Loan.

DrAspirino

Banned
Physical media's not going anywhere. There are millions of people around the world that still likes owning copies of games, especially countries like Japan.
Oh... really?

Sony seems to differ...

g0Dovx0.png

That means that nothing we do or say regarding physical copies will have an impact on the gross numbers. The people that still cares about the physical media is just too few to justify support for it...at least from an enterprise point of view.

Stuart360

Possibly, but imo whoever releases a console with a disk drive the gen after next gen wins, 100%

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
You must have Comcast too. They have an option to pay an extra $50 a month for unlimited - though we shouldn't have to. It's not like they run out of bits. That's not how the internet works. But without actual competition in the marketplace, they can make up all sorts of shit to charge us for. Cocksuckers.
Actually, that is the way it works: ISPs have to buy bandwitdh/data from bigger, global networks (like tier 3, tier 2 or even tier 1 networks) and sometimes, depending on the agreement made, that bandwidth is lower or higher.

We have an ISP here in Chile that has data caps (movistar), but they have them since they're cheap and they have their own tier 3 network that they sell to other ISPs and big corporations (Telefonica Telxius)

Blood Borne

I’ll just repost one of my comments -

Cloud gaming is at least 50 years away. Until every significant place in the world has access to cheap ultra fast internet with no data caps and technology is mature enough that cloud gaming will offer virtually no lag like offline gaming, cloud gaming will continue to be a pipe dream. People live in bubble, they think their environment is the same as everywhere.

demigod

STFU

Wow man, do you use Verizon or AT&T? Go with T-mobile if you can.

Dr.Morris79

No, lol.

Can you still buy DVDs, could you still buy CDs, could you still buy vinyls even?

Yerp.
Is there not a disc driveless console coming out..?

Could be the start of something wonderful (Not wonderful)

Try buying a VHS player, new, in the high street..

Enough time and peoples idiocy, anythings possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is there not a disc driveless console coming out..?

Could be the start of something wonderful (Not wonderful)

Try buying a VHS player, new, in the high street..

Enough time and peoples idiocy, anythings possible.

You can easily buy them. And specialty shops, like Urban Outfitters, are actually starting to carry VHS tapes again, because there is a novelty market for them.

https://www.amazon.com/DVD-Recorder...20,p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:5045937011

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/studiohouse-designs-90s-comedy-vhs-tape-set-of-5

https://mashable.com/article/urban-outfitters-vhs-tapes/#TVHAMY_Yomqk

You are also comparing apples to oranges. VHS is akin to cassette tapes, the medium moved on to a more cleaner, and larger storage (as well as cheaper) physical option, in optical disks.

Those are still available in mass quantity across all forms of entertainment. Regardless of MS's experiment for digital buyers.

Maguro

Call me ol' fashioned but i only buy games physically. If theres no physically copy i just don't buy it. It's part of the gaming hobby for me. I'm already really pissed there is no manuals anymore...so if they take away my physical completly i will stop modern gaming. I have to admit i'm a collector and play mainly old games on old original modded hardware, but here and there i get me a modern game and enjoy it. Sometimes i wait a long time before limited run or special reserve release a phyiscal copy of a digital indie game. It's worth the waiting for me.

To me this is all pretty sad. Sure i will continue play my old games then, but still sad i will be forced that way to stop buy and play modern games.

Drake

Ask me this question 9 years ago and I would call you crazy. Now? I've bought 2 physical games over the last 3 years and they were both for my PS3. Persona 5 and MGS collection. As 95% of my gaming is done on PC I just get everything through Steam. I'd be fine with no more physical media.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Comcast sucks. i had them for years off and on. once was living in a house shared with 4 or 5 other people & their friends or whoever would come over, there would be people crashing on couches, everyone using the internet, so we busted the cap over and over. on top of it all, it went down all the time, and was just shitty service.

a few years later i moved into a condo in a nice part of town w a job i could do online, working from home, a job with flex time. i set up an appointment, then on the day, nobody showed up, and i called them, and there was no record of an appointment. they could not find it. this completely fucked my work week up because i have a heart condition and a blood disease and so i work from home every chance i get. even though they had started billing me (with the wrong last name) nobody came out to install my internet service nor was there even a record of any such appointment.

so i asked them to mail me a self install kit instead. they did that, and i installed it, and it did not work. so i called them up, and wasted more hours of my life talking to people having me unplug and replug things over and over. eventually they said there was nothing they could do, someone would have to come out, and the earliest they could come out was in 2 weeks.

immediately i was looking for other providers. luckily the building i am in was just wired for fiber, so i got that, instantly, and at the same cost, from a different company.

of course Comcast still sent me several bills and a collection notice for the month of internet i didn't have. i mailed back the modem and kit that didn't work and got a receipt but they still wanted like $80 for wasting my fucking time. the stationary has my name mis-spelled even though i have been a customer with them on three separate occasions. i'm not paying it. fuck them.

Last edited:
I sure hope not. It's getting harder and harder to own things though, so I kind of expect things are moving in this direction as well.

Eiknarf

Why does it have to be one or the other? Games on Physical Media plus Digital Downloaded Games can -and will- coexist, just like everything else “entertainment”.
Target and Walmart won’t stock the consoles if physical game discs went away because THE GAME DISCS are where their profit is. Without game discs, Walmart and Target won’t sell consoles because there’s no profit selling the consoles.
Plus, the game companies want to charge $59.99 for a new game on disc. There’s literally mastering and packaging and production going into that. So if the future is only downloadable games, they can’t expect to charge us $59.99 for a download. There’s no production that they have to charge us for. So if it’s Digital download only, we should not expect to pay the same price.

No reason both can’t coexist.

We certainly aren’t ready for the digital future yet.

But I do believe by the time next gen rolls around (8 years minimum?) the VAST majority of sales will be digital.

My guess is physical collectors may have to buy an external drive and the big publishers still release a physical version on some games. Bit like the PC market is now.

I do think the big retailers are going to be gone in the next couple of years. I spoke to the manager of my local GAME (UK) last week, and they are struggling. The big expected tent pole releases so far this year have bombed in terms of physical sales, mostly because they’ve been average quality (at best). The Division 2 has helped though.

GenericUser

I think so, yes. Companies will try to push the digital future because it basically gives them the possibility to decide which games we can and which we can't play. It gives them incredible power over the consumer and thus his money and that's exactly what they want. I think I'll consider joining the PC mustard race once this happens, because at least on PC there are ways to play old games whenever I want.

Boss Mog

If so I'll just stop buying any new games. I have a pretty big backlog that should last me quite a long time. I like actually owning things and being able to use them whenever I see fit.

cireza

Physical was nice when the cartridges were actually big, it felt like you were inserting raw power inside your console.

Take this Gunstar Heroes cartridge, MegaDrive !
Eat this KOF 98 cartridge Neo Geo !

Now that the remaining cartridges are absurdly small, and that the slot to insert them is designed to be the most annoying and less practical possible (I am talking about you Vita and Switch), it has become a hassle to use them. And who wants to carry around cartridges with handheld systems ? It is annoying.

Discs have always felt fragile, I never liked discs. Still like my Saturn PAL plastic boxes though.

I made the move to 100% digital on Xbox because I am confident that I will be able to keep and play my games for years to come. This is the main reason that slows down people shifting to digital. Nobody wants to lose their games, or not be able to download them again in the coming years.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm already there. It's a beautiful land where you don't have your living space cluttered up with useless shit that needs periodic dusting and has to be boxed up and carted when you move.

levyjl1988

Banned
Physical copies will go the way of Limited Run Games unfortunately, time limited preorders, limited print run for physical copies, and only for collectors. They will saturate eBay for extremely high prices. You can stream it, or you can own it. Only until they get rid of the disc drive altogether then either option disappear entirely. Not next gen, but surely next next gen, if there will ever be a next next gen. Cloud gaming is server side with updates and tweaks. So nothing to improve or buy on our end except a subscription.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they still sell paintings. they still sell books. they still sell records, CDs, tapes, etc. they still sell DVDs and Blu Rays. hell, RedBox has replaced a store renting physical games + movies with a box that rents physical games and movies.

so yeah it would be the first time in history in any media that physical objects were no longer sold. seems like a pretty silly bet.

these "only for collectors" and "i have no data cap" people live in a bubble. large parts of the country do not have the privilege of amazing internet, they still have to go to Wal Mart to buy the new Call of Duty. that isn't going to change bc a couple million people on the coasts sub to the Google streaming thing lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom