• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack in 1up yours. NeoGAF is "hurting society," justifies having it shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunderbear said:
I disagree. I don't think he wants to get rid of all negative opinions. Why are you jumping to extremes?

It's the WAY people criticize that's 90% ignorant. It's pathetic. You can express your negative opinions without hate. It is possible, and if you are a decent person it should be the norm.

All the haters in this thread, and other threads, are pathetic. It's not that you dislike a product or something about a product that's the problem, it's your ignorance. If you expressed yourself like that in real life, I'd have no respect for you and I would just avoid being around you.

Unfortunately you pests are all over the internet so it's impossible to avoid. And yes, it does have a detrimental effect on the internet experience and thus it does affect the games industry (as well as other industries, though this one is filled with the most immature demographic it may seem).

I am not defending Too Human. From my point of view it doesn't look very good. But do a search for Too Human in my history, and you can see that I expressed my views in a humble way knowing that I don't know everything about the game. And most importantly, I don't spew hate all over the hard work that people put in, whether I think it's good work or not.

Posting in bold makes me more important!

Anyway after hearing his thoughts for myself I can see where he is coming from but he is taking this forum way to seriously.

eznark said:
I like how the one decent thing he tried to do (apologize man to man) is somehow retold as if he was a stalker tracking a detractor.

Come on, the guy is awkward enough without reinterpreting the story.

In the podcast, Denis says that this poster (Kittonwy), went into hiding for a few months (which is untrue) after Denis owned him in an old Legacy of Kain thread. Denis then criticizes NeoGAF mods for being internet detectives and finding out Jeffe Belle's info. He then says that he looked up the poster's (Kittonwy) personal info to find out that he lives close to Silicon Knights.

If you would heard the podcast, you can't deny this is what was said, unless you were holding your ears closed. There's no reinterpretation. Get the facts straight. It doesn't matter that Denis was going to give an apology to a humiliation that never happened. It doesn't matter if he was going to give a million dollars. The point is he hypocritically did the same thing that he yelled at the GAF mods for doing a minute earlier.

Mr. E. Yis said:
In the podcast, Denis says that this poster (Kittonwy), went into hiding for a few months (which is untrue) after Denis owned him in an old Legacy of Kain thread. Denis then criticizes NeoGAF mods for being internet detectives and finding out Jeffe Belle's info. He then says that he looked up the poster's (Kittonwy) personal info to find out that he lives close to Silicon Knights.

If you would heard the podcast, you can't deny this is what was said, unless you were holding your ears closed. There's no reinterpretation. Get the facts straight. It doesn't matter that Denis was going to give an apology to a humiliation that never happened. It doesn't matter if he was going to give a million dollars. The point is he hypocritically did the same thing that he yelled at the GAF mods for doing a minute earlier.

Maybe Kittonwy had his personal info in his profile? The Jeffe Bell thing was a bit different. That one had a mod confirm the personal information of the user, basically disclosing private information mods only had.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Thunderbear said:
I disagree. I don't think he wants to get rid of all negative opinions. Why are you jumping to extremes?

It's the WAY people criticize that's 90% ignorant. It's pathetic. You can express your negative opinions without hate. It is possible, and if you are a decent person it should be the norm.

All the haters in this thread, and other threads, are pathetic. It's not that you dislike a product or something about a product that's the problem, it's your ignorance. If you expressed yourself like that in real life, I'd have no respect for you and I would just avoid being around you.

Unfortunately you pests are all over the internet so it's impossible to avoid. And yes, it does have a detrimental effect on the internet experience and thus it does affect the games industry (as well as other industries, though this one is filled with the most immature demographic it seems).

I am not defending Too Human. From my point of view it doesn't look very good. But do a search for Too Human in my history, and you can see that I expressed my views in a humble way knowing that I don't know everything about the game. And most importantly, I don't spew hate all over the hard work that people put in, whether I think it's good work or not.

me ad my friends make fun of video games and Movies in real life...WTF is wrong with that? im pretty sure alot of people do that.

its EXTREME and IGNORANT to say Too Human had bad animation(from what we've seen)? cuz that one critisism 90% of peoplehere point to...

[Nintex]

Vinci said:
What I find odd is, why the hell does he have such a soapbox in the first place? He made Eternal Darkness. So what? That's the only thing really of note at all recently, so why does he get more press than genuinely major developers with game upon game under their belts?
Because he's an attention whore?

Too Human would be a none-hyped, under the radar release with a decent hardcore 'loot' following if it wasn't for this situation. I'm not talking only about the GAF situation, the Epic lawsuit is part of this as well. And the fact that he has to react on everything.

I'm amazed that Dyack's game is being published by Microsoft. They really have different ideas about marketing and game development. Microsoft is more or less part of the 'industry' that is not listening to the ideas of mr. Dyack. He wants everything and everybody to change, except for himself and Too Human. Instead of this "I'm taking you all down!" bullshit he could've tried a more 'moderate' approach. "We worked really hard on this game and we're sorry if it didn't meet your expectations. On the other hand I think that people are judging this game unfairly. We showed the game during it's development, something that we won't do with future games. [argument] [...]"

We won't hear anything like that from Denis Dyack. Instead, it's the fault of Microsofts early showing, Epic's UE3 and now NeoGAF's hate. Alot of awesome developers have made some games that weren't 'the best ever' and they got over it. Denis should focus on his next project instead of ruining his reputation(or what's left of it) and his company. There was a chance that people might not like Too Human, but it seems that he's desperate to 'change the world'. At this point Denis Dyack is more important than Too Human. He killed the little hype for his game with his own stupidity. Remember, before all this most GAF members voted: "FOR". If he made that thread today it wouldn't have the same outcome.

nestea

Thunderbear said:
Unfortunately you pests are all over the internet so it's impossible to avoid. And yes, it does have a detrimental effect on the internet experience and thus it does affect the games industry (as well as other industries, though this one is filled with the most immature demographic it seems).

Whose fault is this? Just because you are exposed to stupidity every now and then, it's no excuse to let it get in the way of your personal judgment and how it affects your job. If you are being paid to form a professional opinion, why would you knowingly let a few random internet posters who don't have the same materials to judge the game on influence you?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Thunderbear said:

Oh wow, someone's a pot calling a kettle black. Criticism at it's finest "you pests" and all that jazz.

Dude, I think you need to realize that this '90%' figure you are spouting is bull. The people who are anyway inappropriately (in regards to the forum rules) spouting there opinion is probably sub 5%.

The rest? Who the fuck are you to get on your high horse and tell people how to voice their opinion? Seriously? This shit is ridiculous, go preach somewhere else - after you start practicing what you preaching, you pest.

P.S. Stop making everything bold.

Nolan.

Crayon said:
Not aimed at anyone in partivular. In fact I think some of those posts are coming from posters who really are just trying to contribute some meat to the discussion.

Still, Dyack is so transparent in his motivations that saying "he makes some good points" is like an admission of being gullible.

Not that these "points" are not worth discussion (they've been discuused many times before), it's just that they are inconsequential when the overall Dyack situation is just beyond absurd.

Yeah I kept giggling a little everytime I saw ''He makes a good point''.

eznark

Banned
far as I remember (I listened on a plane so I won't claim infallibility) he just said kittowny stopped posting for months, (nothing about going into hiding), and he explicitly said he felt terrible about the tag and wanted to extend an apology.

The guy provides enough real fodder, and after thousands of posts I realize the real shit has been hashed and rehashed, but there's no need to try and cause controversy where one doesn't exist. The game isn't out for over a month, I'm willing to bet Dyack does more actual stupid shit between now and then to pounce on.

Pristine_Condition said:
He wanted to find out who Kittonwy was "close to," whatever that means...

I could have told him. Kittonwy is only close to two things: Beer, Uncharted!!!!111!!!!11 and GB.

rawr.

Fixed.

Also, just finished listening and wanted to say good job, Garnett. I don't have a 360 so I have no room to talk about this game, but that was a great job letting Dyack know when you didn't agree with him. I've been listening to another site's podcasts for a while now, and I don't remember them ever really disagreeing with guests. It was refreshing, and you earned yourself a fan. I'm going to be listening to 1up yours for a while now.

168tmj8.jpg

photoshop material gaf!

Dartastic

I think that the message as a whole on occasion was valid (if a bit obvious and transparent), but Denis' problem was that the delivery was flawed, just in the same way that they were saying Jeff Bell's delivery was flawed. In addition, he puts too much importance on internet forums. Message board "anonymity" is a farce, but at the same time it has a basis in reality; anyone can say anything, and to the more casual observer (say, someone who doesn't know a user's past post history) that person may see non-nonsensical posts as reality. In knowing that "anonymity" is farcical, he should have been even MORE careful about putting himself out there in a situation where he was in essence, trolling. Denis, in speaking out like he does, has become more than just a game developer. He has become a spokesperson for his company, and just like Jeff Bell, he should have been more careful about the things he said. In this case, he initially placed himself in a situation that once again, that has had a negative effect on his persona and his message. His major problem is that we ARE the audience for his game, and by acting as he does on these forums, he's just alienating the people who would play his game.

The more intelligent way to deliver his message would have been to either use the guise of internet anonymity to conduct his "survey", or to just make the argument that he made on 1up Yours in the form of a post. In conducting this experiment himself, he just managed to damage himself and his game further, no matter how concise and clear he could be about his intentions when following up on his posting. I think Garnett said it best (from what I remember, anyway) "Why even validate NeoGaf with this 'experiment?'" The fact is, he shouldn't have.

P.S. I'm sure it's been said many times, but that was a great blog you put up Shawn.

Ploid 3.0

Rapping Granny said:
http://i26.tinypic.com/168tmj8.jpg[/IMG]

photoshop material gaf!

That Friday (movie) picture with Ice Cube and Criss Tucker leaning back comes to mind. Put Dennis head on Ice Cube. Just to do it not because it means something.

eznark said:
far as I remember (I listened on a plane so I won't claim infallibility) he just said kittowny stopped posting for months, (nothing about going into hiding), and he explicitly said he felt terrible about the tag and wanted to extend an apology.

The guy provides enough real fodder, and after thousands of posts I realize the real shit has been hashed and rehashed, but there's no need to try and cause controversy where one doesn't exist. The game isn't out for over a month, I'm willing to bet Dyack does more actual stupid shit between now and then to pounce on.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2585920&pp=100&page=10

After the 'owning' occurred in the Legacy of Kain thread, Kittonwy makes literally hundreds of posts in the next two months alone on NeoGAF. No break and no hiding. So that's another direct lie from Denis Dyack from that podcast. Another of course being his version of the Star Wars Kid story's origin. So with behavior like that, I wouldn't trust Denis on his word.

between the one console thing and this it seems Denis wants to live in some utopian world where everyone is nice and fair. Thats not the way it works. Garnett was absolutely spot on i wish he would have called Denis further on it. All that bullshit he was spewing about this book and that author and for what? A fucking message board? That ultimately has ZERO impact on the grand scheme of things? There is no accountability because there doesn't have to be. All the people talking shit about your game are still going to try it be it a demo, or a rental or something, Denis. Because we're a bunch of hardcore videogame nerds who have a lot of free time to kill. Its not going to impact society negatively and its not hurting your game.

it seems to me like Denis is just constantly trying to deflect any negative attention from his product. They opened the podcast with John and Shane discussing the preview build of Too Human....yet when Denis comes on is it to discuss that? No its to whine more about things that are so far off on a tangent Garnett's head nearly exploded. Go back to the 2 E3s ago and Mark's "terrible" comment. Did Denis really discuss any of the negative points? No, he went off on some diatribe about how gaming journalism is in need of a revolution (sound familiar?)

I find it funny how Shawn, or even John weren't around in person for this. They seem like the 2 1up'ers most likely to call someone out on their bullshit. I get the feeling they, at least Shawn, would have ripped Denis to shreds.

Mr. E. Yis said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2585920&pp=100&page=10

After the 'owning' occurred in the Legacy of Kain thread, Kittonwy makes literally hundreds of posts in the next two months alone on NeoGAF. No break and no hiding. So that's another direct lie from Denis Dyack from that podcast. Another of course being his version of the Star Wars Kid story's origin. So with behavior like that, I wouldn't trust Denis on his word.

he also makes it sound like the infamous "star wars kid" was fucking brutally raped or something. The way i always understood that story, the video was made completely volunatarily, it was just "leaked" without his permission by some asshole classmates.

And Denis' entire point, it seems, to his "for/against" thread was because he considers tags to be some kind of NeoGaf currency...like anyone really gives a shit about their tag. Honestly i didn't know notice i had a tag for the longest time. I don't think anyone is considering suicide because they got a tag made in jest, if they are they need to seriously take a look at their life.

McGrathew

I think Denis is pretty much on point about gaf and the anonymous douchebaggery. The first 50 posts prove it.

Lock this silly thread.

Listened to the podcast. Wow.

You know, I think the guy has a point about the way anonymity and the Web is chipping away at certain parts of society. I recently left the newspaper industry and one reason was because I didn't like the way all the local asshats could post unfettered BS in the comments sections of our stories (this was a small thing among many other reason, though).

The problem with Dennis's approach is - this is a gaming forum he's talking about. The gravitas he's trying to project on this issue does not match the subject matter. And I'm even one of those "games can matter," "games can be art" type of people. But whether I agree with him or not, people like him sure make following gaming more interesting.

And I'll echo the props Garnett for calling it like he sees it. He's done that twice recently, with the other time being when Ryan Payton was in studio. He's definitely got a no spin zone going.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
McGrathew said:
I think Denis is pretty much on point about gaf and the anonymous douchebaggery. The first 50 posts prove it.

Lock this silly thread.

But... what does that even -mean-!? People who are anonymous are less likely to sugarcoat what they say - and a lot - are more likely to be asses about it. Why does this single Gaf out from the rest of the freaking internet? And how does this make the problems with his own game any less relevant?

RadarScope1 said:
You know, I think the guy has a point about the way anonymity and the Web is chipping away at certain parts of society. I recently left the newspaper industry and one reason was because I didn't like the way all the local asshats could post unfettered BS in the comments sections of our stories (this was a small thing among many other reason, though).

this is kind of the point. People could always do that in newspapers. Go back to before the days of the internet when people crank called others. Its not some newfound revelation that people can be assholes when they have anonymity. And its certainly not going to ruin society or even video games.

gaf and anonymous douchebaggery? This is the fucking internet! Being an arsehole comes with the territory, and incidentally anonymity has worked the same way outside of the internet in the past.

I don't really care for games at all and I haven't heard a damn thing about Too Human so I like to think I'm outside of Dyack's argument (but he says that gaf has a hive mentality so that must mean I think like everyone else on here right?), but he was acting like a complete pretentious dick. The kind of sore loser that lacks any humility and who thinks that by parroting the words of far more intelligent people he is somehow just as intelligent as they are, if he came up with his own interpretations or theories then I might appreciate his thoughts more but in the end he's nothing more than a mean-spirited pretentious idiot.

I'm also someone who believes that games will never achieve the levels that literature and even movies operate at, it's just not going to happen. We're supposed to absorb intellectual theories whilst pressing A to chop an alien's head off? Uh... ok... The only way you can come close is by presenting a controlled story in the cut scenes but then that's basically a movie.

Anyone check out the 1up show coverage of Too Human?
I have to say going at it with 2 people and the idea of the epic outfits and weapons sounds pretty fricken
sweet. That would also go a long way to extending the play time as well. I would have loved if they
could have done a couple more animation tweaks but whats there looks really fun and it seemed everyone
playing it was into the game.

Ninja Scooter said:
And its certainly not going to ruin society or even video games.

No it won't, you're right. But there is a change that happens with new tech. It's part of the BS "coarsening of the culture" thing that conservatives like to spout about. There's a certain grain of truth to it, but in general it's blown out of proportion.

Ninja Scooter said:
People could always do that in newspapers. Go back to before the days of the internet when people crank called others. Its not some newfound revelation that people can be assholes when they have anonymity.

Yeah, but when people like Mark Twain were doing it they actually had to think about it and craft a well-written piece, not just post a gif or a meme. And most of the time everyone in town knew who was writing it anyway, even when writing with pen name. It often came back to bite them in the ass. That said, things changed over time and there has been a certain amount of gatekeeping done in the MSM over the years. You don't see anonymous letters to the editor anymore, for instance. People are held accountable to a point, even if what goes in print the first time isn't always right.

Things are much more free wheeling now with the Web. I'm not saying it's totally good or bad, more like a yin and yang kind of thing. Guess that's a whole other thread... All I'm saying is a agree that some level of accountability ain't a bad thing.

Remy

I'm completely speechless that he's still hung up about Kittonwy. I guess those emoticons really do enrage people.

Alot of people here downplay the influence a site like Neogaf has--

I have been reading the book The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, and it talks about, among other things, how certain types of people can influence peoples mindsets, and why some trends take hold and some dont-

heres an example, hush puppies became popular because they suddenly became cool at clubs in New York, suddenly fashion designers pick up on it and sales of the shoe go through the roof-

Using this example for videogames, I think Neogaf is alot like the people in the Manhattan bars that set the trends for fashion designers. It is frequented by the gaming press and bloggers, gamestop employees that post here regularly and hardcore gamers. It is these types of people that will color the perception of a game and in many case that will then feed out into the general public- possibly effecting the games sales and in some cases how the game is reviewed

anyone here read the tipping point? Is this too much of a stretch to apply this book to what Dyack was saying about gaf?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Have anyone gone back and listen to the Mark McDonald/Denis Dyack talk on EGM live? I cannot get through it.

Oh my GAWD. If Too Human is as good as Denis believes it will be there will be negative repercussions to Mark about calling the preview build of too human, "terrible".

Oh ok, I'm going back to the 1up rant, I can digest it better. Hearing Denis attack Mark, just, I do not want to listen.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
JimtotheHum said:

I have been reading the book The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, and it talks about, among other things, how certain types of people can influence peoples mindsets, and why some trends take hold and some dont-

heres an example, hush puppies became popular because they suddenly became cool at clubs in New York, suddenly fashion designers pick up on it and sales of the shoe go through the roof-

Using this example for videogames, I think Neogaf is alot like the people in the Manhattan bars that set the trends for fashion designers. It is frequented by the gaming press and bloggers, gamestop employees that post here regularly and hardcore gamers. It is these types of people that will color the perception of a game and in many case that will then feed out into the general public- possibly effecting the games sales and in some cases how the game is reviewed

anyone here read the tipping point? Is this too much of a stretch to apply this book to what Dyack was saying about gaf?

It's been proven many times that GAF's love/hate of certain games has absolutely squat to do with their real world sales.

I think the Dyack segment was absolutely brilliant. The 1UPY crew: good on your for going down this road and letting this happen.

Ignoring Too Human for the time being, I agree with alot of what he said. He's got problems with context and delivery, but he's mostly right on point when it comes to technology, society, the internet, culture, etc.

More like this 1UP.

Ashitaka

JimtotheHum said:

Clive Thompson has an article in Fast Company and an interview on On the Media that refutes the idea that a small number of tastemakers influence trends to any great extent. Also, what DarienA said, if NeoGAF had that kind of power Obama would already be president, Ico would be the highest selling, highest reviewed game of all time, and Snakes on a Plane would've grossed 1 trillion dollars.

tino

Banned
JimtotheHum said:

You have to actually show a example of Gaf influencing game design for this theory. The fact that Yakuza tanked sales vice pretty much showed Gaf has no influence in sales or game design. In fact I remember there are more hidden SA reference in various games than Gaf reference.

Even if this is true there is still no excuse for Too Human's crappy animation.

nestea

JimtotheHum said:

Is it the fault of NeoGAF though? Shouldn't we expect more out of a paid professional journalist than a random poster on the internet? It's up to them to filter facts and falsities, it's their job to do that. If they can't separate their opinion from that of an internet forum, they aren't doing their job properly.

JimtotheHum said:

I disagree... is there any chance Hush Puppies became popular by their own merit? I'd think so, unless you somehow think that everyone that buys Hushpuppies knows anything about that club... I'm pretty sure they bought whatever because they personally liked it.

In relation to neogaf, I'm pretty sure the majority of the people that buy games have no clue what neogaf is. If his game is good, and the marketing team does a good job of getting it's release out to the right target audience, it'll sell. If it sucks, it'll fail on it's on merits. Funny gifs and negative remarks about certain aspects of the game doesn't mean everyone that laughed or made the gifs won't buy it, thats just the humorous side of the internet that is in no way completely serious enough for people to get all butthurt and start egotripping and getting philosophical and thinking that because you read it in a book that it must be true, what you and Denis are doing is a bit like stereotyping IMO. Theres no real proof to any of that and it's akin to those conspiracy theory vids... coincedences are one thing, but having nothing to relate the BS on any level is the territory that that book and Denis have entered.

I've read all this BS, I loved Eternal Darkness and thought Legacy of Kain was one of the most interesting rpgs out. But, I'm not a sheep and have my own opinion and will buy the game if I want to... a demo being released could be more moving (either way I suppose), seeing as I don't take reviews into consideration and only buy things that I know I might like.

BobM

Dyack, what the fuck? Even after all of those other crazy rants i recall from the last few years, i was still considering buying your game. Of course, I was going to take your advice and try it first. If it was one of those rentals that i just couldnt give up, THEN I would buy it.

However, this is where i draw the line you stupid, stupid man. Maybe you should stop reading books, going to seminars,, dicking around debating the meaning of life, and just make a good game!

What a novel idea don't you think? I know I have said this before, but I too truly do feel bad for your employees. They slave away working like crazy people to get your game finished. And what do you do? You pick a fight with your core demographic!

Shut down GAF? What the fuck?

What the fuck?

I think our own FartOfWar put it best " the idea of 'shutting down' a videogame discussion forum for its discussion of a videogame is demented."

I would just LOVE to have been a fly on the wall in recent Microsoft PR meeitngs. I am sure Dennis name brings many a groan in that room.

Finally Mr. Dyack, i will in fact take you up on your challenge still. I will try / rent your game. But rest assured I will NEVER BUY IT

Why you ask?

Because NOBODY talks about my GAF that way. Espesially not an all-knowing pretentious man-baby like you.

PARANO1A

Hrmm. I listened today and thought he made a lot of good points. I think he's less articulate than he needs to be to get something like that across, but the way I interpreted his comments are basically this: it's easy for people to act like asses when anonymous (surprise surprise) but also more seriously the fact that sites like Neogaf encourage groupthink and discourage civil discussion (edit: and autonomous and individual opinions).

It's true, of course - Too Human threads here really remind me of small town mobs with torches and pitchforks looking for the next witch to burn or coloured person to hang. If you're participating in the hate and you don't see it, you're very likely part of the problem.

I disagree that it's highly dangerous per se - I just think people here need to grow the fuck up as a general rule.

Azih

PARANO1A said:
the fact that sites like Neogaf encourage groupthink
There is no groupthink on GAF.
and discourage civil discussion
There is plenty of civil discussion on GAF. Your initial 'facts' are erroneous.

It's true, of course - Too Human threads here really remind me of small town mobs with torches and pitchforks looking for the next witch to burn or coloured person to hang.
First off you're seriously comparing Neogaf to witchburning and LYNCHING? What the hell is wrong with you?

Secondly Denis, SK,and Too Human had PLENTY of defenders on GAF (in complete contradiction of your inane charge of groupthink); his initial DRAW A DIGITAL LINE nonsense lost him quite a few and his absurdly stupid podcast performance lost him many more. Your sense of how GAF operates is based on nothing more than half formed impressions that have nothing to do with reality.

nestea said:
Is it the fault of NeoGAF though? Shouldn't we expect more out of a paid professional journalist than a random poster on the internet? It's up to them to filter facts and falsities, it's their job to do that. If they can't separate their opinion from that of an internet forum, they aren't doing their job properly.

I agree with you. I guess my point is not necessarily placing the blame on Gaf (cause I love Gaf)- I wouldnt change Gaf for a second... my post is just saying Gaf is what it is, and it is influential to people that are influential to the industry- true alot of people who buy games dont know about Neogaf, but they may have read an article about a game from someone who frequents neogaf or asked game purchasing advice from a Gamestop employee that trolls Neogaf or knows someone who knows someone who read how shitty the game was on the internet....

also, Dyack seems to be making a game for hardcore gamers (epic loots, skill trees are not buzz words in the casual industry) and I think the mindset of gamers on sites like neogaf are gonna make or break this game in particular.

Moray

After listening to that I'm going to make a genuine effort to not be an ass online and also to not be judgmental about a game until I get a change to play it. Good discussion.

RadarScope1 said:
No it won't, you're right. But there is a change that happens with new tech. It's part of the BS "coarsening of the culture" thing that conservatives like to spout about. There's a certain grain of truth to it, but in general it's blown out of proportion.

Yeah, but when people like Mark Twain were doing it they actually had to think about it and craft a well-written piece, not just post a gif or a meme. And most of the time everyone in town knew who was writing it anyway, even when writing with pen name. It often came back to bite them in the ass. That said, things changed over time and there has been a certain amount of gatekeeping done in the MSM over the years. You don't see anonymous letters to the editor anymore, for instance. People are held accountable to a point, even if what goes in print the first time isn't always right.

Things are much more free wheeling now with the Web. I'm not saying it's totally good or bad, more like a yin and yang kind of thing. Guess that's a whole other thread... All I'm saying is a agree that some level of accountability ain't a bad thing.

nobody is doubting that there is no accountability for the most part on the web, which leads to plenty of douchebaggery. What we are doubting is how that is somehow destructive to society as a whole, and, on a smaller scale, can hurt the perception and sales of a videogame. NeoGaf is a collection of a bunch of relatively hardcore gamers with too much time on their hands. Of course we are going to pick and prod at every little thing about a game. Of course we are going to make judgements based on previews, reviews, screenshots, videos, ect...

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Ninja Scooter said:
this is kind of the point. People could always do that in newspapers. Go back to before the days of the internet when people crank called others. Its not some newfound revelation that people can be assholes when they have anonymity. And its certainly not going to ruin society or even video games.
Of course not. The world has managed to keep functioning even though written language meant we sacrificed some "reciprocity" - somehow I doubt the internet is going to be humanity's downfall. The guy is just grasping at whatever he can to get from one minute to the next.

I'd say the benefits of semi-anonymity on the internet far outweigh the loss of civility.

LCfiner

mik said:

well done.

Moray said:
After listening to that I'm going to make a genuine effort to not be an ass online and also to not be judgmental about a game until I get a change to play it. Good discussion.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Did you really need an hour long sermon on this topic (plus tangents on the topics of business ethics and outsourcing) to come to this conclusion? Was it not obvious before that civil discussion promoted better discussion?

Dyack's main point about "reciprocity" had been known to pretty much anyone on the internet for years. The man had no need to spend one hour meandering through all this other crap to get to his point.

PARANO1A

Azih said:
There is no groupthink on GAF.
There is plenty of civil discussion on GAF. Your initial 'facts' are erroneous.

First off you're seriously comparing Neogaf to witchburning and LYNCHING? What the hell is wrong with you?

Secondly Denis, SK,and Too Human had PLENTY of defenders on GAF (in complete contradiction of your inane charge of groupthink); his initial DRAW A DIGITAL LINE nonsense lost him quite a few and his absurdly stupid podcast performance lost him many more. Your sense of how GAF operates is based on nothing more than half formed impressions that have nothing to do with reality.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're drawing a rule from an exception. Your attitude certainly seems to be one that dissenting opinon (in this case, mine) is wrong. Opinions are wrong, but there's no groupthink? Doesn't add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom